PDA

View Full Version : Funny stuff

coolhand
06-17-05, 09:04 PM
http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=61397
This thread is about the Danica weight issue.

my favorite post.

Actually, Einstein did prove Newton's thoery of gravitation has some serious flaws. So our little friend from OWRS is obviously not very well educated.

Randy

is what he refering to (on the einstien issue) on the Quantum level? not a 1500 pound IRL car? :gomer: :rofl:

coolhand
06-17-05, 09:07 PM
Wrongoh my friend. Mercury travels no where near the speed of light, and the flaws in Newton's theory are quite apparent from tracking its orbit. Newton was wrong, at any speed.

Randy

M.S. Physics
University of Minnesota 1977.

is he for real?

Wheel-Nut
06-17-05, 09:23 PM
is he for real?

The dude can't even spell his name right. What do you think?

Cam
06-17-05, 10:25 PM
Well.... That confirms it! You do have to be a rocket scientist to be a member of TF! :gomer:

Rogue Leader
06-17-05, 10:35 PM
Physics do not apply to a University of Minnesota Physics Masters Grad from 1977..

Sorry to tell ya buddy I graduated College 2 years ago (and took plenty of Physics classes) so it seems that in 26 years the laws of physics changed BACK, and youre still wrong and stupid at any speed.

Rocketdoc
06-17-05, 10:38 PM

my favorite post.

is what he refering to (on the einstien issue) on the Quantum level? not a 1500 pound IRL car? :gomer: :rofl:

I was going to respond to the thread by Wilke, but Crackforum has probably permanently banned me.

My response:

"There's this cat named Newton," said Elkins, the director of technology for the Champ Car World Series. "Nobody has been able to prove him wrong yet."

The above was obviously a loose statement. “Big Al” Einstein took off where Newton left gravity off, and expanded the whole concept of space and time and demonstrated that space is warped in the presence of mass.

“That would be English mathematician Sir Isaac Newton, who in 1687 published a treatise on the law of universal gravitation and its effect on bodies in motion.”

That “treatise” was the “Principia”, a seminal work that changed the world at the time.
Newton’s “treatise”, or more correctly, his equations are still used today to send all spacecraft on their missions, where permitted orbital insertion errors are measured in less than a football field, from sometimes billions of miles away.

Einstein’s “gravity” equations are only meaningful at relativistic speeds.

“OWRS Folks slam Danica
Interesting that all the anti-Danica quotes came from the 'other side,' not those who race against her:”
Some would say that to “stay” in the IRL, one WILL NOT talk “anti-IRL”. This may possibly be contained in everyone’s contract to run in the IRL: a conclusion taken from some previous statements from former CART team owners and drivers before they decided that The Indy 500 was still worth it.
Danica Patrick is, in my opinion, a pretty good race car driver. I also think she has far more capability than any other American female driver, to date. The IRL is rightfully exploiting her; Champ Car would have done the same (at least one would hope).
“His conclusion: (I presume Newton?) All other things being equal, 100-pound Danica Patrick does have an advantage over the drivers who outweigh her.

Newton did not mention Patrick by name — and neither does anyone else since the outspoken Gordon was vilified nationally for his comments on the eve of the Indianapolis 500. He said at that time that he wouldn't race against Patrick under the current rules of the Indy Racing League, the only major racing series that does not take a driver's weight into account.”

Robby Gordon made his “bones” in this sport and is entitled to his opinions as well as most experienced drivers. Personally, I think it’s a weak argument that Gordon is making.

”Gordon, a 10-time Indy starter now competing full-time in NASCAR, quickly backtracked, claiming his comments were aimed at the IRL, not its newest marquee attraction. But by then, he already had been lampooned as a sexist idiot by everyone from David Letterman, co-owner of Patrick's car, to ESPN's Pardon The Interruption duo of Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon.

So whatever valid point he might have had was buried under "consider-the-source" ridicule.

Patrick has tried to stay above the fray but can't help but wonder why the issue is coming up now if it's not aimed directly at her.”

From what I’ve been able to discern from listening to her statements and her demeanor, I would think that she’s “above” feeling “aimed at” or caring less about what Robby Gordon is saying. She seems to have more class than that. It sounds like others are making a “deal” out of some poor statements from someone who is sometimes admired because he’s politically incorrect. It goes with the territory.

”["I don't think (my weight) plays that big a role," she said. "I can't control what size I am and how I'm built. The NBA doesn't lower the hoop for short guys."]

IRL president Brian Barnhart firmly believes Gordon's comments were sexist.”

Perhaps Barnhart should lighten up and stop trying to magnify this thing.

”Such backlash has made the weight issue a touchy subject. The majority of those asked about it included their high regard for Patrick in their answer.

Even Champ Car veteran Paul Tracy, who can be as outrageous as Gordon, picked his words carefully.

"I'm not trying to take anything away from her. She's aggressive and she's doing a great job," he said. "But for sure she has an advantage. It's just simple physics."

In my opinion, every series that is running “high technology cars” should be taking weight (car plus driver) into their rule book.

Simple, weight, or the lack thereof, does matter, and in a move to try to make each “playing field” level, the minimum weight should always be car + driver – fuel.

"If weight didn't matter, we wouldn't care how much fuel we have in the car during qualifying," Vasser said. "It's all math. It's power-to-weight ratio. It's the reason an airplane can't take off if it's overloaded."

A simplification, but correct.

”Another former Champ Car/CART champion, Jacques Villeneuve, will be in town this weekend for the Formula One U.S. Grand Prix at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. He was surprised to learn the IRL does not weigh its drivers.

"In F1, 20 pounds is (worth) about three-tenths of a second a lap, but it's less in Indy-car racing because the cars are heavier," he said. "The weight difference will be less of a problem there. When I was racing in the States, we never paid attention to that."

As a percentage, yes it doesn’t matter as much, but more so, it’s even less of a factor on ovals.
In road racing, the car has to be accelerated and decelerated many times a lap and even a small increase in inertial mass means a lot.

”But attention is being paid to it now, which makes Barnhart grimace. He is firm in his stance that as an open-wheel series, the IRL is different than NASCAR, and as a predominantly oval-track series, it is different than Champ Car and Formula One.

As such, he said, the IRL has concluded the driver's weight has little impact on the competition.”
"Its affect is so minimal that it's just not worth the headaches," Barnhart said. "It might have an impact on restarts or when a driver has to check up in traffic, but unless we add more (than the current three) road races, it's not that critical."

In my humble, but practiced opinion, he’s wrong.

”But team owner Eddie Cheever, a former driver, contends that with the competition so close, every little thing matters. He has been lobbying Barnhart to change the IRL rule and believes it'll happen once the current fuss dies down.”

As much as I dislike Eddie, he’s right on this one.

[Eddie Cheever]:

"She's had to work her butt off to get where she is," he said. "It's almost a compliment to her that we need to be addressing this issue at all."

As you, or someone else pointed out, Helio Castroneves can’t weigh more than about ten pounds over Patrick, and I don’t remember the issue being discussed about him.
Danica should be proud that her performance is good enough that some people think it must be something other than her ability.

”USA Today

Eddie, we're addressing the issue because those outside the IRL want to make it an issue. Penske hasn't said a word. Neither has AGR or Panther or any of the other front runners. Just those looking for way to slow the momentum and stay in business.”

Perhaps it’s that “contract clause”….

Sean O'Gorman
06-17-05, 10:41 PM
I was going to respond to the thread by Wilke, but Crackforum has probably permanently banned me.

Doesn't matter, they locked it. :shakehead

Rocketdoc
06-17-05, 10:49 PM

my favorite post.

Radny must be the one with the inadequate education.
Newton's stuff is correct at anything but relativistic speeds.

Let's not get in Quantum Mechanics with Gomers; it could cause serious cerebral damage....

Rocketdoc
06-17-05, 10:58 PM
is he for real?

"Wrongoh my friend. Mercury travels no where near the speed of light, and the flaws in Newton's theory are quite apparent from tracking its orbit. Newton was wrong, at any speed.

Randy

M.S. Physics
University of Minnesota 1977."

What this guy is referring to is the advance of the perihelion (or maybe it's called Merihelion...) of Mercury that was predicted and proven by
"Big Al Einstein's" General Theory of Relativity, more accurately, covariance, not relativity. It also proved that light is "bent" as it passes closely by the Sun or other massive body, again, validating Big Al's thinking.

As for Newton being wrong, just about all of his equations are "right" at anything less than relativistic speeds.

rocketdoc
PhD., Aerospace Stuff and Physics
Couple of Ivy League Colleges.

coolhand
06-20-05, 08:34 PM
MORE GOOD STUFF

http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=61581

HA! I wondered how long it would take c>rt/owrs to stick their nose into something that is none of their business.... I can't decide whether this is a cheap publicity trick..... or a clever scheme to collect USGP ticket stubs, that kalkhoven can later redeem for cash when IMS announces their refund policy.
I think I will hang on to my ticket stub, thanks...... Hey c>rt/owrs, This situation has nothing to do with you, so, ....... BUTT OUT!

Ankf00
06-20-05, 08:47 PM
"Wrongoh my friend. Mercury travels no where near the speed of light, and the flaws in Newton's theory are quite apparent from tracking its orbit. Newton was wrong, at any speed.

Randy

M.S. Physics
University of Minnesota 1977."

What this guy is referring to is the advance of the perihelion (or maybe it's called Merihelion...) of Mercury that was predicted and proven by
"Big Al Einstein's" General Theory of Relativity, more accurately, covariance, not relativity. It also proved that light is "bent" as it passes closely by the Sun or other massive body, again, validating Big Al's thinking.

As for Newton being wrong, just about all of his equations are "right" at anything less than relativistic speeds.

rocketdoc
PhD., Aerospace Stuff and Physics
Couple of Ivy League Colleges.

:rofl:

Perhaps this is why crapwagons are crapwagons, they're trying to discretize quantum or reimann physics instead of sticking to the classical mechanics :gomer:

coolhand
06-20-05, 08:53 PM

Perhaps this is why crapwagons are crapwagons, they're trying to discretize quantum or reimann physics instead of sticking to the classical mechanics :gomer:

Newton is wrong :gomer:

B3RACER1a
06-21-05, 01:57 PM
Its really not that complicated. Take some mass off a car...it'll accelerate faster in every direction (and cornering is accelerating too).

pchall
06-21-05, 02:29 PM
Let's not get in Quantum Mechanics with Gomers; it could cause serious cerebral damage....

It would be easy to see the damage in a Champ Car fan, but how could you diagnosis it in a gomer?

Ankf00
06-21-05, 09:49 PM
It would be easy to see the damage in a Champ Car fan, but how could you diagnosis it in a gomer?
they stop reaching for the meth every other hour? :confused:

eiregosod
06-21-05, 10:07 PM
On closer inspection:

Our friend Radny is referring to Elkin's comment about Newton not being proved wrong about gravity. flaws in his 'thoery' , as Radny pus it, were found by Einstein.

This doesnt bode well for CC that this guy Elkins is their director of technology. rather it newton's other laws of motion that determine racecar dynamics. Where mass (rather than weight) play a much bigger role.

At least at 240mph the moving cars clock will have to be adjusted with the clock at S/F ;)

The new nanotech geek sport of choice, atom racing :gomer:

racer2c
06-21-05, 11:31 PM

They're trying to convert black and white foregrounds of pixel images? :gomer:

Rocketdoc
06-21-05, 11:58 PM

I could think that to Tony George, and the haze he's in, a continum is more realistic than a quantized universe.

Of course to Tony, he might think that "Quantum Mechanics" are the guys that work on Gasoline Alley....

Rocketdoc
06-21-05, 11:59 PM
Newton is wrong :gomer:

Actually, Newton is dead.

Rocketdoc
06-22-05, 12:02 AM

Gomers, who are predominently mouth breathers, drip spital from their lower lip...more....