PDA

View Full Version : Hit me Baby, one more time......

Paintergeek
06-16-05, 10:32 PM
Alright folks, Im usually against ANY reality TV, ANY 'Talent competition' TV, and any 'Washed up stars' TV. But I , being a music junky, am loving this show. Not unlike VH1's "Bands Reunited'....I loved that too. But this show, "Hit me Baby one more time" give you the chance to see artists you havent seen in 20 years, Get to hear them A: Play their big-hit song, and then B: Cover a modern era song.

Many of these guys cant even do their own songs good anymore, But are still fun to see again. Tommy Tutone (Jenny/867-5309) looks the same, balder, grayer, but the same and did OK, not great. His cover of Blink 182/all the small things SUCKED. Yikes. Loverboy was awful. The Knaak sounded good doing My Sharona, singer looks exactly the same, their cover of Jet's 'are you gonna be my girl' was out of his range, and didnt do so well. Flock of seagulls (singer only) really cant pull it off anymore. Not too good. Cameo sounded exactly the same, as did Haddaway. Vanilla Ice was...well...Vanilla Ice (or Vaniller Ice as the host calls him). I had never heard of Sophie B Hawkins, or CeCe Peniston, and wont be looking for their albums following these performances.

But the best I heard so far was Howard Jones. He is one of those artists that I think is underappreciated from the 80's, getting 'labeled' as an 80's sound. I loved him in the 80's, love him today. Hadnt heard his name in years. He came out, sat at the piano, and played 'noone is to blame' and it was flawless. Super cool. It was hilarious to hear Wang Chung sing "hot in Herre". :)

Make fun if you want, But at least this isnt 'dancing with the stars'. Other than some background tracks, these people are clearly actually singing and performing this stuff live, which is rare these days (ask ashlee).

then:

http://www.picthisphotography.com/pages/entertain/images/HOWARD_JONES.jpg

Now:

http://www.dsound1.com/gallery/howardj.jpg

dando
06-16-05, 10:50 PM
Guilty as charged. I generally loathe network TeeVee these daze, but this show is pretty darn good. Sophie B looked pretty darn hot 20+ years l8r. The Motels sounded gr8 last week. 'nilla Ice? Gimme a break!?! :shakehead HoJo = :thumbup:, but I would hardly classify him as a one-hit wonder. IMO, they are reaching the bottom w/the Baha Men appearing next week. :( Stick to the bands of the 70s, 80s, or early 90s, IMHO.

-Kevin

Paintergeek
06-16-05, 10:59 PM
Guilty as charged. I generally loathe network TeeVee these daze, but this show is pretty darn good. Sophie B looked pretty darn hot 20+ years l8r. The Motels sounded gr8 last week. 'nilla Ice? Gimme a break!?! :shakehead HoJo = :thumbup:, but I would hardly classify him as a one-hit wonder. IMO, they are reaching the bottom w/the Baha Men appearing next week. :( Stick to the bands of the 70s, 80s, or early 90s, IMHO.

-Kevin

HoJo a 1-hit wonder???? not quite. Perhaps no legend, but he had a solid run in the 80;s with songs like 'noone is to blame', 'new song', and 'things can only get better'. And those were just the 'bigger' hits. It all depends what you sinder 'one hit wonder'. I thought Cameo was a 1-hit wonder, but then they say theyve been together 30+ years and have sold 11 million albums! Sheesh.

Also, Little known fact....the Baja men have been around forever, and have had a bunch of really good albums. But the 'freshened up' their image (they were getting old), and are now labeled as the 'who let the dogs out' guys.

dando
06-16-05, 11:30 PM
Also, Little known fact....the Baja men have been around forever, and have had a bunch of really good albums. But the 'freshened up' their image (they were getting old), and are now labeled as the 'who let the dogs out' guys.

Thx for the schooling on that fact...I had no idea (and I despise the Jock Jam tune "Who Let the Dogs Out". :shakehead

Speaking of one-hit wonders, where the heck is the Greg Kihn Band, Moving Pictures, etc. :) Personally I would love the see The Baby's or John Waite redux, but they are hardly one-hit wonders either. Don't get me started digging into my MP3 collection.... ;)

-Kevin

Dr. Corkski
06-17-05, 01:50 AM
Everybody, Wang Chung tonight! :gomer:

lone_groover
06-17-05, 07:31 AM
On the Greg Kihn tip, he's got some really fun scary/mystery novels out....quick, satisfying reads.

Wish he'd put his well-honed pop sensibilities to use once in a while, though.

:)

:thumbup:

RacinM3
06-17-05, 12:07 PM
I watched for about 5 minutes and quickly realized that there was a reason none of these acts had any staying power.

RichK
06-17-05, 12:30 PM
On the Greg Kihn tip, he's got some really fun scary/mystery novels out....quick, satisfying reads.

Wish he'd put his well-honed pop sensibilities to use once in a while, though.

:)

:thumbup:

Greg Kihn is a DJ (LINK (http://www.kfox.com/earlyshow.html)) in the SF Bay Area. He still plays clubs and stuff, I understand.

There are some 80s bands that had excellent musicians, but their "sound" was very 80s. Missing Persons comes to mind. I loved The Motels, too.

I haven't seen this show, but I'll check it out!

Paintergeek
06-17-05, 08:59 PM
Greg Kihn is a DJ (LINK (http://www.kfox.com/earlyshow.html)) in the SF Bay Area. He still plays clubs and stuff, I understand.

There are some 80s bands that had excellent musicians, but their "sound" was very 80s. Missing Persons comes to mind. I loved The Motels, too.

I haven't seen this show, but I'll check it out!

Motels just played on the show. I never liked her much, but she sounded very good...............

Jervis Tetch 1
06-17-05, 11:17 PM
I always liked Greg Kihn. He and his band always came through with some good, dependable toe-tappers.