PDA

View Full Version : Hello, there's going to be a race in Portland...

Anteater
06-15-05, 09:54 PM
Why don't we talk about that? It's suppose to rain the entire weekend--should be interesting!

Spicoli
06-15-05, 10:02 PM
hello. wgaf. :gomer:

Methanolandbrats
06-15-05, 10:32 PM
Why don't we talk about that? It's suppose to rain the entire weekend--should be interesting!When? Is it Grand Am? :gomer:

FCYTravis
06-15-05, 10:45 PM
No, but your Resident Grand-Am Shill will be there flagging all three days. See, people DO travel to Champ Car races... *road* races, thx. I'm leaving tonight.

(Ironically, I'm financing this trip with my share of our team's Grand-Am purse from Laguna Seca. See, NASCAR *is* helping Champ Car! :rofl: )

RTKar
06-15-05, 10:45 PM
It's USGP weekend :cool: . More cosmic waves going that way, seeing friends, having beers and such.

Ziggy
06-15-05, 10:50 PM
Have fun, I fail to see the wisdom of the schedule, but what do I know...... the folks who do go to Champcar races are pretty much F1 fans. We had 21 folks at Long Beach, and 34 at Milwaukee..... pretty good head count either way.

I really hope they can sell 12,000 seats for Portland, but we will have to see. The race has had really sagging attendence the past five years or so..... and they can hold a great race there from time to time, if the God's are smiling.

The Fathers day race when Mike ran out of fuel coming for the checkers was just really, really cool.

Jimmy and Little Al with the smoking jabarock was also a very memorable race. Spent the whole event thinking I was watching Jimmy win his very first Champcar Race.

Moreno, Blundell and DeFerran in the rain was just awsome. Races dont get much better than that.... and outstanding contest between cagy racers and iron clad decisions from the pits.... for an econo run, that one was really great.

TorontoWorker
06-15-05, 10:51 PM
No, but your Resident Grand-Am Shill will be there flagging all three days. See, people DO travel to Champ Car races... *road* races, thx. I'm leaving tonight.

(Ironically, I'm financing this trip with my share of our team's Grand-Am purse from Laguna Seca. See, NASCAR *is* helping Champ Car! :rofl: )

Which team are you with in Grand Am? We've got Grand Am (ST&GS) at Mosport this weekend. I assume your talking DP class?

FCYTravis
06-15-05, 10:54 PM
#99 GAINSCO/Blackhawk (http://www.GAINSCORacing.com) Pontiac Riley Daytona Prototype - Bob Stallings and Alex Gurney are the drivers. We skipped the series' Canadian stop at Mont-Tremblant :(

FCYTravis
06-15-05, 11:13 PM
The real question of the weekend...

Will Jensen be there?

Lizzerd
06-15-05, 11:49 PM
Moreno, Blundell and DeFerran in the rain was just awsome. Races dont get much better than that.... and outstanding contest between cagy racers and iron clad decisions from the pits.... for an econo run, that one was really great.

I'm REEEEEly looking forward to another one like that. But it was Boesel, not Moreno that you're thinking of.

Andrew Longman
06-16-05, 10:40 AM
Why don't we talk about that? It's suppose to rain the entire weekend--should be interesting!

Thank you. Considering the anguish around here when we thought it was going to the IRL, we should be much more interested.

I add to all the great Portland memories mentioned above, the lousy ones about cars getting stuck in the run offs in the Festival Curves. This year that run off is thankfully paved which should breed more aggression in T1 and fewer FCY. :thumbup:

Insomniac
06-16-05, 02:51 PM
A lot of rain or just a continous light mist? The racing just gets way too crazy (or doesn't happen) when the spray is too much. My favorite year is still the year that the track was wet most of the race and it was drying and people were trying to guess when to go to slicks. PT went early, he'd have a lap 10s faster than everyone then spin off course the next lap.

cameraman
06-16-05, 03:37 PM
The Sunday forecast is for partly cloudy skies with occasional very light rain, temps maxing at about 70°F (21°C).

oddlycalm
06-16-05, 03:45 PM
A lot of rain or just a continous light mist? Best guess for Sunday's race is one of those mixed wet/dry deals which can make for an interesting race. Friday and Saturday look to be overcast and wet however, and that won't help attendence.

My long term view of this race is that it badly needs to be divorced from Rose Festival and to be held when the weather is relaibly better. Event and sponsor saturation is a serious problem, and having the Rose Cup race and the Champcar race a week apart hurts both badly. The race was lucky with regard to weather during the 1980's and early 90's, but the odds have caught up with it. June is a season the is dominated by cool wet marine air in this area, and ignoring the long term jet stream patterns is event suicide IMO. Conversely, the end of August and early September is a reliable good weather period 9yrs out of 10. Casual fans may sit through one rain soaked weekend, but how many will sit through one 2 out of 3 years?

Further, having the Portland race up against the USGP and LeMans is going to siphon off the TV audience. The Portland event organizers had a chance to move the race date last year when the new 3yr agreement was reached with CCWS and they didn't do it. :confused:

oc

Dr. Corkski
06-16-05, 04:23 PM

Will Jensen be there?I am sure he will be busy throwing parties for the fannies at the USGP this weekend. :gomer:

Easy
06-16-05, 04:30 PM

Will Jensen be there?

no

Racing Truth
06-16-05, 07:21 PM

Will Jensen be there?

Question 2: Car count aside, does anyone GAF if they aren't?

:gomer:

Racing Truth
06-16-05, 07:24 PM
The Sunday forecast is for partly cloudy skies with occasional very light rain, temps maxing at about 70°F (21°C).

Could make for interesting race strategies. Weather aside, I have a hunch that AJ will do really well this weekend. A win would not shock, though I fear the RuSport pit guys might be a liability.

dando
06-16-05, 07:47 PM
So how many seats does the place have? :gomer:

:runs:

Seriously, I'm looking forward to a wall-to-wall racing for Father's Day weekend, topped off by Portland. Go Jeemy! :thumbup: It's good be the dad. :D

-Kevin

rabbit
06-16-05, 08:14 PM
I'm REEEEEly looking forward to another one like that. But it was Boesel, not Moreno that you're thinking of.
06-15-2005, 10:50 PM -- Significant moments in internet history: Ziggy made a mistake. :eek:

;)

RTKar
06-16-05, 09:02 PM
I'd pick Wilson in the wet. I love wet races, wet/dry may even be better. They tend to disrupt the strategy more, especially tire selection. It's great when the track begins to dry and the guys on rains have to find puddles to keep the temps down. If I wasn't going to be in Indy, I'd look forward to this one, hoping for rain...although the forecast could keep the crowd down when we need it most :confused:

skaven
06-16-05, 11:01 PM
I was thinking - with a live race on CBS, what are the odds of the race being a timed race? Especially if it rains.

And I was thinking that if I were at the race, I'd be pretty upset if they cut it short to fit in a TV slot.

Then, I looked at the local TV listings and saw CCWS has a 2 1/2 hour slot for the race. :thumbup: