PDA

View Full Version : POCONO TIRE WOES

Wheel-Nut
06-13-05, 11:14 AM
Anyone catch the NASCAR race at Pocono? Eleven cars had left front tire failures. Ricky Rudd had five total. Tony Stewart, Jr. Dale and Kasey Kahne all had multiple failures. Crazy!!

dando
06-13-05, 11:38 AM
Anyone catch the NASCAR race at Pocono? Eleven cars had left front tire failures. Ricky Rudd had five total. Tony Stewart, Jr. Dale and Kasey Kahne all had multiple failures. Crazy!!
I only caught a brief bit of the race, but this was dicussed on WindBag last night. I agree with the assessment that it was due to car setup issues with camber rather than a tire problem. New rules banning shifting @ the track resulted in the setup changes. Typical NASCAB...fix one problem, create new problems. :shakehead

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
06-13-05, 11:47 AM
I believe two changes from last year were in place for Pocono: 1) new rumble strips and 2) new gear rules made it impossible to gear the car for downshifting.

I also believe that prior to about 10 years ago, many teams didn't gear the car for shifting @ Pocono. IIRC a few teams started that and then they all did it.

Granted, a lot of other things have changed in ten years, but based on that, and that it was the left front, not right side tires (which would take the most abuse from camber set up), I'd say that the Goodyears couldn't hold up against the strips and/or the drivers were making too much use of the strips.

Anyone know how the ARCA race went tirewise? Do they shift? I believe they run Hoosiers? If they don't shift but hit the strips about the same then I'd blame the Goodyears.

Either way, not a good PR day for Goodyear

cart7
06-13-05, 12:29 PM
Anyone see that pretty cool shot of the tunnel turn looking at the rear of the cars as they were going through it? A ton of sliding going on and many were digging deep into the strips seeming to pivot the car around the corner on the LF. A close up of the strips there showed a bunch of rubber build up. Interesting camera angle and a real eye opener to how much they slide those things around.

Sean O'Gorman
06-13-05, 02:25 PM
Anyone see that pretty cool shot of the tunnel turn looking at the rear of the cars as they were going through it? A ton of sliding going on and many were digging deep into the strips seeming to pivot the car around the corner on the LF. A close up of the strips there showed a bunch of rubber build up. Interesting camera angle and a real eye opener to how much they slide those things around.

I didn't see the race but I know of the angle you are speaking of. It is even cooler when they do it at Darlington because there is alot more race track to fight. You definitely need talent to move one of those things. :)

dando
06-13-05, 03:01 PM
I believe two changes from last year were in place for Pocono: 1) new rumble strips and 2) new gear rules made it impossible to gear the car for downshifting.
Doh! I forgot about the rumbles...the thinking there was that the problem would have more widespread than it was if the rumbles were the sole cause.

-Kevin

B3RACER1a
06-13-05, 06:50 PM
Hey, race as fast as you can....but dont touch the shifter! :confused: :thumdown:

DaveL
06-13-05, 08:09 PM
Goodyear tires are garbage. Pocono isn't the first track they had problems with this year. They've been blowing all season.

spinner26
06-14-05, 07:25 AM
Heard on the radio last night that Goodyear was called to the hauler after the race. They gathered the facts and presented the case back to the Cup bosses.

Conclusion,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Jackass crew chiefs running way too low tire pressure. NASCAB, eat your shorts! :rofl: :shakehead