PDA

View Full Version : moto gp, no spoiler

eiregosod
06-12-05, 09:12 PM
its been exciting, but no discussions

but damn the first third of that race today was racing heaven

RichK
06-13-05, 12:03 PM
I love these MotoGP races. Like I said a few months ago, I save the Tivo'ed race until I can get one hour to savor the latest race without interruption! This is how CART used to be for me. I really hope that SPEED will show more coverage next year, now that the Laguna GP is on the schedule. Qualifying, practice, etc. would be awesome.

I
Can't
Wait
For
Laguna!

chop456
06-13-05, 12:45 PM
Mugello was great, too.

oddlycalm
06-13-05, 09:38 PM
Incredible race indeed. Seeing the lap record lowered by Hayden then Gibernau by a tenth, the have Rossi break it by 1.4 seconds on used up tires was memorable. Hayden seems just able to keep up when his tires are right, but he can't seem to go with a hard enough compound that will allow him to have something left at the end. He's also still sliding the bike around the corners more than the other top riders. Probably doesn't matter, as nobody seems likely to beat Rossi for some time to come.

Ironic that after 15yrs of American domination during the 80's and early 90's, when we finally get a MotoGP race in the US and we're at low ebb for US riders. ;)

500cc GP World Championships
1978 Kenny Roberts
1979 Kenny Roberts
1980 Kenny Roberts
1983 Freddie Spencer
1984 Eddie Lawson
1985 Freddie Spencer
1986 Eddie Lawson
1988 Eddie Lawson
1989 Eddie Lawson
1990 Wayne Rainey
1991 Wayne Rainey
1992 Wayne Rainey
1993 Kevin Schwatz
2000 Kenny Roberts Jr.

oc

The Doctor
06-14-05, 12:24 AM
Ironic that after 15yrs of American domination during the 80's and early 90's, when we finally get a MotoGP race in the US and we're at low ebb for US riders. ;)

But we get to see the greatest racer ever on two wheels, so I'll take that. If there's anything Rossi's move to Yamaha has done it has truly cement him in that best ever spot. Plus, KR Jr, Hopkins, Edwards, and Hayden are all damn good American riders -- hopefully being on home soil will especially inspire them to the front where they show up occassionally but not as often as they should.

And the Catalan GP was awesome. Sete has nothing for Val, he just has to sit out in front and wait for the attack to come and then watch The Doctor race off into the distance. I think Sete needs to adopt a different race strategy. Instead of just sitting in front of Rossi he needs to try and break away and build a gap. He always seems content to just wait to have Rossi blow by him at the end. Melandri still showing great pace and an ability to be more consistent than Sete as well. Marco should be a great challenge for the championship next year. :thumbup:

eiregosod
06-14-05, 03:19 PM
Ayone watch the Isle of Man TTs? I only saw 5 mins of them for 2 nights, but I'll take that as my TT fix for the year. I'll never ever know how they can go 180mph+ on those roads on the Island.

cameraman
06-14-05, 03:23 PM
Ayone watch the Isle of Man TTs? I only saw 5 mins of them for 2 nights, but I'll take that as my TT fix for the year. I'll never ever know how they can go 180mph+ on those roads on the Island.

It seems like they kill a few people every year too so......

RichK
06-14-05, 04:24 PM
Watching the Isle of Man is like finding a living dinosaur on a forgotten island somewhere. It's the last bastion of what "road racing used to be".

There's nothing like watching a racebike flying through the air! :thumbup:

mueber
06-14-05, 05:23 PM
Watching the Isle of Man is like finding a living dinosaur on a forgotten island somewhere. It's the last bastion of what "road racing used to be".

There's nothing like watching a racebike flying through the air! :thumbup:

I can not believe I missed it. The Isle of Man is one of my favorite events. :(

oddlycalm
06-14-05, 07:33 PM
But we get to see the greatest racer ever on two wheels, so I'll take that. If there's anything Rossi's move to Yamaha has done it has truly cement him in that best ever spot. Best ever is always a hard arguement to make. I've seen several riders crowned with the best ever title since I've been watching. ;) Rossi is certainly right at the top for modern riders, but ever is a long time. More importantly, how do we measure riders of different eras considering how much the machinery and tracks have changed? If we just measure titles or race wins we don't take into consideration the competition of the different periods.

Just as an example, Hailwood won on everything from Nortons to the works MV Augusta, then changed to Honda and won on those evil handling beasts against the likes of Giacomo Agostini and Phil Read. I saw him ride on my first haj to the TT then saw him wrestle the Honda in a driving rain at the first Canadian GP. Simply unbelievable. On top of all else he comes out of retirement after nearly 10yrs, steps onto an unfamiliar machine and wins the Senior TT. :eek: Get it wrong at Catalunya and you park it in the gravel. Get it wrong at the IOM and chances are you won't live to tell

One could make similar arguements for other riders, at least one of whom is from the US. My point is that Rossi is still young. He may indeed turn out to be the best ever, but I'm not quite ready to say that at this point.

oc

oddlycalm
06-14-05, 07:57 PM
I can not believe I missed it. The Isle of Man is one of my favorite events. :( I'm not sure you did. Either I completely missed it myself, Speed is no longer showing the TT, or it will be on in the weeks to come after editing.

oc

RichK
06-14-05, 08:33 PM
I'm not sure you did. Either I completely missed it myself, Speed is no longer showing the TT, or it will be on in the weeks to come after editing.

oc

That's what I figured, too.

eiregosod
06-14-05, 09:11 PM
I thought speed were showing it at some obnoxious hour like 2am or something?

RichK
06-16-05, 06:41 PM
from my local moto forum: Isle of Man has been relegated to snippets on Motorsport Mundial on SpeedTV. We had 12 hours of coverage two years ago!

:cry:

But at least we have NASCAR Poker. :thumbup:

lone_groover
06-17-05, 08:50 AM
FYI: My sis called and told me that Nicky Hayden, the man himself, had been LIVE on Rockefeller Plaza playing the Dating Game on the TODAY SHOW this past Tuesday morning. Something to do with People Magazine's top 50 bachelors, or some kinda stupid People Magazine-style crap like that.

Anywayz, Nicky got a good reception from the tourists on the plaza, and he was ultimately the bachelor picked; over a Philadelphia Eagle and a country crooner.

I hope he has a good date and that Earl approves of the gal.

:)

mueber
06-17-05, 09:39 AM
from my local moto forum: Isle of Man has been relegated to snippets on Motorsport Mundial on SpeedTV. We had 12 hours of coverage two years ago!

Thanks for the info, I guess... :mad:

eiregosod
06-17-05, 01:15 PM

Jim Liberatore is job hunting as I type

cameraman
06-17-05, 01:24 PM
Jim Liberatore is job hunting as I type

I'm not so sure that is good. According to this story Fox thinks he wasn't running enough NASCAR :saywhat:
A shake-up at the top of Fox’s Speed Channel is the latest TV shock for NASCAR, and Fox’s decision to let Jim Liberatore go as head of the cable channel leaves considerable uncertainty about just what’s going on.

Liberatore has been running Speed Channel, based in Charlotte, since Fox bought it four years ago. He cites “a difference in philosophies” for his departure.

According to one source, Liberatore wanted to diversify Speed Channel again, to include a good mix of all racing. It has become predominantly NASCAR-oriented.

There are also reports that the Speed Channel ’s NASCAR Nation show will soon be dramatically revamped, in light of generally poor ratings. The show is likely to be cut from an hour to 30 minutes, and its focus is to change from hard racing reports to more soft entertainment features.