PDA

View Full Version : Getting the band back together: Pink Floyd is back!

Jag_Warrior
06-12-05, 01:35 PM
:)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050612/en_nm/leisure_pinkfloyd_dc

dando
06-12-05, 01:40 PM
:)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050612/en_nm/leisure_pinkfloyd_dc
:cool: Now give me Led Zepp redux w/Jason Bonham on drums. :cool:

-Kevin

Ankf00
06-12-05, 02:06 PM
um

I want John Paul Jones back ... :( he actually came up with many of the riffs from I and II that Page played

anywho, count me in on a Zep reformation with a rising from the grave...

Paintergeek
06-12-05, 02:13 PM
waters and gilmore are back together?!?!?! I never thought Id see the day. Not more thamn two weeks ago, I said that if they woiuld get together, the tour would be absolutely massive...........

RusH
06-12-05, 02:15 PM
um

I want John Paul Jones back ... :( he actually came up with many of the riffs from I and II that Page played

Jonsey rocks, saw him solo at Frankie`s patio in Tampa 4-5 years ago.
He did a wicked Nobody`s Fault But Mine :thumbup:

TrueBrit
06-12-05, 03:18 PM
waters and gilmore are back together?!?!?! I never thought Id see the day. Not more thamn two weeks ago, I said that if they woiuld get together, the tour would be absolutely massive...........

..this is brilliant...I hope that after they play together, and sink the odd pint or two afterwards, that Dave and Roge do the sums and figure a little wander around some of the planet's stadiums with their mates could add up to quite a pretty penny....

Lizzerd
06-12-05, 03:46 PM
I'd love to see a tour. I've seen 'em three times and would drive 500 miles to see a fourth.

oddlycalm
06-12-05, 04:44 PM
Bring back Syd Barrett...!!! Play some Atom Heart Mother you bloody wankers... :gomer:

Seriously, lots of good memories of Floyd shows over the many years. These guys get the nod for truly timeless music and quality delivery IMO. I remember being stunned the first time I heard their brilliantly mixed four channel surround touring system at a time when most sound reinforcement was simply loud and crudely primately EQ'd shite. :thumbup: I'm pretty cynical about most of the overpriced "Hands In Your Pockets" tours by dinosaur bands looking to pay for organ transplants and or a new roof on the manor, but it really would be great to see Floyd play one more time.

oc

dando
06-12-05, 05:12 PM
um

JPJ passed? When did this happen? I suspect recently, as I saw an article ~18 mos. ago about a reunion tour. :(

-Kevin

RusH
06-12-05, 05:45 PM
JPJ passed? When did this happen? I suspect recently, as I saw an article ~18 mos. ago about a reunion tour. :(

-Kevin

No, don`t start spreading nasty rumors. Him and Jimmy were at the Grammys this year.

fourrunner
06-12-05, 06:08 PM
No, don`t start spreading nasty rumors. Him and Jimmy were at the Grammys this year.

I saw that too......They just looked Dead ! ;);)

dando
06-12-05, 07:06 PM
Whew! I thought I would have caught that. Thx.

-Kevin

Ankf00
06-12-05, 08:23 PM
:rofl: I mean JHB dude :p

dando
06-12-05, 09:20 PM
:rofl: I mean JHB dude :p
Well, you only mentioned JPJ in your post, f00boy. I'm well aware of John's passing ala Keith Moon....that's why I mentioned Jason in my post. There was a rumour floating a few years ago that Jason would join the remaining originals for a tour. Never happened, tho. :( Live Aid was the last time they were together...IIRC, Phil Collins played drums for them (pre-wanker PC daze). BTW, folks often forget how great the original Genesis was w/Gabriel and Collins. et al.

-Kevin

racer2c
06-12-05, 11:19 PM
Wow. What a coincidence! just this past week I've been diving into Floyd again ( I do a cyclical thing with the greats like Floyd, the Beatles and Zep about once every few years). I've done quite a bit of reading and listening to original Floyd (the Syd Barrett days). As a youngster who grew up in the era of The Wall, then backtracking through Dark Side etc, I never really knew where Floyd came from, or rather I should say, I never appreciated their beginnings. Syd was a crazy genius. Listen to early Floyd and even Syd's solo material and you will hear...Floyd. He was Floyd. Waters emulated Syd's vocal style. Gilmore emulated Syd's guitar. Even Dark Side had Syd written material intertwined within the songs. Heck, the Wall was more about Syd than Roger! What a sad and strange story.

My buds and I would go to the midnight showing of The Wall after downing untold amounts of things untold while next door the ex-Disco dancers faked their appreciation of Rocky Horror dressed in their best Frank N Furter to impress the onlookers.

If I was pressed to pick the best rock band of all time, I'd be hard pressed not to choose Floyd, at least by a close second to the Fab Four.

Long live Syd. Shine on Crazy Diamond.

Michaelhatesfans
06-12-05, 11:39 PM
http://www.normsradio.com/components/march-pics/hell-freeze.jpg

Winston Wolfe
06-13-05, 04:29 PM
If they tour after the Geldof show, then I'll pretty much pay whatever it takes to see them for "the last time"....

Winston Wolfe
06-13-05, 04:32 PM
Bring back Syd Barrett...!!! Play some Atom Heart Mother you bloody wankers... :gomer:

Seriously, lots of good memories of Floyd shows over the many years. These guys get the nod for truly timeless music and quality delivery IMO. I remember being stunned the first time I heard their brilliantly mixed four channel surround touring system at a time when most sound reinforcement was simply loud and crudely primately EQ'd shite. :thumbup: I'm pretty cynical about most of the overpriced "Hands In Your Pockets" tours by dinosaur bands looking to pay for organ transplants and or a new roof on the manor, but it really would be great to see Floyd play one more time.

oc

"set the controls for the heart of the sun"

First with Gilmour.
Last with Syd....

Great stuff....

oddlycalm
06-13-05, 05:00 PM
Listen to early Floyd and even Syd's solo material and you will hear...Floyd. He was Floyd. Waters emulated Syd's vocal style. Gilmore emulated Syd's guitar. Even Dark Side had Syd written material intertwined within the songs. Heck, the Wall was more about Syd than Roger! What a sad and strange story. I agree with your interpretation, Waters, Mason, Wright and Gilmore basically took up the mantle and carried it forward, but Syd Barrett was the certainly the basis and inspiration for Floyd and remained so. I own "Piper At The Gates Of Dawn", "Saucer Full Of Secrets", "Umagumma" and "Atom Heart Mother" and "Meddle." It was "Meddle" that set the tone for how the band ultimately matured, focused their music and made it more accessible. It's odd, but I have never owned the Floyd recordings after "Meddle" although I admired what they achieved and enjoyed their live shows enormously.

oc

skaven
06-13-05, 06:20 PM
"Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave and Grooving With A Pict" drives my fiance's cats crazy (she only has two, not being crazy herself). :D