PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tyson

dando
06-11-05, 11:08 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

-Kevin

Don Quixote
06-11-05, 11:12 PM
Please let this be the end forever. Dando, please tell me you didn't pay for it.

dando
06-11-05, 11:17 PM
Dando, please tell me you didn't pay for it.

Hell no. I can't stand heavyweight boxing. It's a dead as FIndy is to me. I just caught the updates on SC.

-Kevin

dando
06-11-05, 11:27 PM
For those that missed it, here's the scoop fro ESPN.com on 'Iron' Mike's l8est debacle:

Mike Tyson quit in the ring after six rounds Saturday night. After his stunning loss to Irish journeyman Kevin McBride, the former champ all but quit for good, saying he's only fighting to pay his debts and, "I don't like this no more."

:shakehead

EDIT: even more pathetic details:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=2083261

Tyson was weary by the fifth round and, in the sixth round, he was penalized two points for deliberately head butting McBride and opening a cut over his left eye. The head butt came after Tyson appeared to try to break McBride's arm in a clinch like he once did against Francois Botha and after he hit him with several low blows.

Tyson was paid $5 million for the fight, which was on the low end of purses he has made in his career. After his creditors got $2 million, the IRS got its cut and his ex-wife got $750,000, so there wasn't much left for the fighter.

Tyson still owes nearly $40 million and there were plans for him to fight up to seven times to pay off the debt. But those plans didn't include Tyson taking the kind of beating that McBride was beginning to administer to him in the fifth and sixth rounds.

McBride was paid $150,000, the same amount he turned down last year to fight Tyson.

-Kevin

Insomniac
06-11-05, 11:31 PM
He also said, from memory:

"i don't have the ferocity, i'm not an animal anymore"
Jim Gray: "is this your last fight?"
"yeah i think it is, i'm not going to disgrace this sport anymore fighting this caliber of people"

Paintergeek
06-12-05, 09:47 AM
I dont care for 'popularaity' fights anyway, and much prefer to watch two mexican flyweights duke it out for 12 rounds of fury than two overweight americans stagger around winded for 3 rounds. So, that being said, only caught post-fight info.

But the truth is, I thought this was a 'gimmie' for Mike. I thought this was one round and DOWN. I would have bet the house if I gave a rats @$$. Losing to this pushover SHOULD be the end of his career, whether he wants to or not.

The bad news is, This isnt his last fight. Its like a retiring race-car driver. They want to quit after a long exhausting race....Its easy to say the words during a moment of failure and exhaustion. But no matter WHAt people say, If Mikes on the card...it will attract and make money. Even if he is an undercard, Or fights Butterbean, Or Barry Williams.........If he is there, it will sell. He owes alot of money.,.....He will fight again........Even if it IS 'Celebrity boxing' on Fox. :shakehead

Its sad really. This used to be an unstoppable train. I think something snapped in his brain during the Holyfeild fight. I honestly do. I think something broke. The same thing broke last night. Its like when he starts takin hits, his body/brain go into a 'do anything' defense.....and he starts wrestling, biting, and arm clinching............

Tall1
06-12-05, 02:02 PM
Within all probability, we should be able to see Iron Mike's final fight on HBO free, either on the 18th or the 25th of this month. From the write up, sounds like it will epitomize street pugilism.

Insomniac
06-12-05, 03:31 PM
I dont care for 'popularaity' fights anyway, and much prefer to watch two mexican flyweights duke it out for 12 rounds of fury than two overweight americans stagger around winded for 3 rounds. So, that being said, only caught post-fight info.

But the truth is, I thought this was a 'gimmie' for Mike. I thought this was one round and DOWN. I would have bet the house if I gave a rats @$$. Losing to this pushover SHOULD be the end of his career, whether he wants to or not.

The bad news is, This isnt his last fight. Its like a retiring race-car driver. They want to quit after a long exhausting race....Its easy to say the words during a moment of failure and exhaustion. But no matter WHAt people say, If Mikes on the card...it will attract and make money. Even if he is an undercard, Or fights Butterbean, Or Barry Williams.........If he is there, it will sell. He owes alot of money.,.....He will fight again........Even if it IS 'Celebrity boxing' on Fox. :shakehead

Its sad really. This used to be an unstoppable train. I think something snapped in his brain during the Holyfeild fight. I honestly do. I think something broke. The same thing broke last night. Its like when he starts takin hits, his body/brain go into a 'do anything' defense.....and he starts wrestling, biting, and arm clinching............

He was done by the time he got out of prison. He lost it while he was in there.

spinner26
06-12-05, 03:35 PM
Thank God for Greg Garrison, the prosecutor who put this thug behind bars for rape. Too bad so sad for this thug, maybe he'll now go to the streets where he belongs and get what he deserves instead of 5 million for being a quitter.

Jag_Warrior
06-12-05, 03:51 PM
This last ex-wife, Monica, was a classmate of mine at UVA. From hardcore DC party girl (and I do mean hardcore!), to becoming a doctor (she had the pharmacutical part down already ;) ), to getting $750K from a once great boxer-turned pitiful maniac's paycheck.

Well, I'd say Tyson's next chapter will be another appearance in court ---> jail ---> unpleasant end or sideshow media freak (pretty much already there).

At one time, I was really a fan of this character. What a waste of natural talent. Pitiful... :(

Andrew Longman
06-13-05, 10:07 AM
Tyson has been nothing since he lost to Buster Douglas 15 years ago. And he wasn't that great then. Ali, Norton, Holmes, Marciano, Louis and Frazier were all much better in their time than Tyson in his. He had a big punch, but Ernie Shaver hit harder.

He's simply been milking this bad boy image for years and the public has been buying it. He's deliberately bitten ears and fouled just to stop fights he was getting killed in. He tried more of that this weekend. Maybe now it will stop. Maybe now no one will care.

15 years ago people would plunk down 39.95 to see how fast Mike would knock out some nobody. Now, if he fights at all again, I can at least take comfort that most are tuning in to see this POS get destroyed.

But I hope he doesn't. His agents, the promoter, his ex-wife, his creditors, and the IRS don't deserve the money.

Dirty Sanchez
06-13-05, 10:16 AM
not many happy endings for aging boxers. this ain't any different. Tyson was still one of the most compelling fighters of the last 25 years. I've enjoyed watching his career tremendously.

SteveH
06-13-05, 10:32 AM
not many happy endings for aging boxers. this ain't any different. Tyson was still one of the most compelling fighters of the last 25 years. I've enjoyed watching his career tremendously.

Exactly. He was great to watch especially early in his career. HBO had him boxing several times a year in the early to mid 80s. Usually his fights last about two rounds. Amazing to see him come out and just totally dominate in a matter of seconds.

IlliniRacer
06-13-05, 02:06 PM
Exactly. He was great to watch especially early in his career. HBO had him boxing several times a year in the early to mid 80s. Usually his fights last about two rounds. Amazing to see him come out and just totally dominate in a matter of seconds.

I remember watching one of his first fights on ESPN Classic against some guy named Jack Johnson. Tyson threw three punches: A body shot that sent Johnson to the mat, a cross that missed, and another cross that sent Johnson into next week. Tyson just stood there and laughed.

You could see all of the raw power that Cus D'mato was trying to harness. I still believe that if Cus hadn't died, things would have turned out better for Tyson.

KaBoom21
06-13-05, 03:40 PM
So now he finally fades into bolivion?

ChampCar#3
06-13-05, 04:32 PM
maybe TG wil sign Tyson once DPmania fades away :rofl:

Paintergeek
06-13-05, 06:45 PM
So now he finally fades into bolivion?

exacting.

eiregosod
06-13-05, 08:34 PM
You could see all of the raw power that Cus D'mato was trying to harness. I still believe that if Cus hadn't died, things would have turned out better for Tyson.

D'amato & Terry Atlas were the only people who cared for him. OK they didnt totally keep him on the straight & narrow though they did a lot better than Don King, when king arrived ............ I believe he didnt train before his fight with Buster Douglas

SteveH
06-13-05, 09:04 PM
Tyson through the years (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2005/06/13/tyson.history/content.1.html)

Insomniac
06-14-05, 12:40 PM
D'amato & Terry Atlas were the only people who cared for him. OK they didnt totally keep him on the straight & narrow though they did a lot better than Don King, when king arrived ............ I believe he didnt train before his fight with Buster Douglas

He still beat Buster Douglas regardless of the result. Don King just ripped him off. He just didn;'t have the instincts he had before going to jail when he came out. He said it best, he can get into shape, but he just doesn't have it anymore. He was relying on his power and weaker opponents rather than real boxing skills.

rabbit
06-24-05, 04:34 PM
Some of Tyson's early knockouts (http://www.compfused.com/directlink/816/)

I met him in Cleveland in 1989 or '90. He seemed like a very quiet, friendly, laid-back kind of guy. I was a huge fan...

Insomniac
06-24-05, 08:30 PM
Some of Tyson's early knockouts (http://www.compfused.com/directlink/816/)

I met him in Cleveland in 1989 or '90. He seemed like a very quiet, friendly, laid-back kind of guy. I was a huge fan...

He seemed that way a couple years ago when he was the guest host for the week on Jimmy Kimmel Live. He definitely has two very different sides.