PDA

View Full Version : Danicle Fever

Methanolandbrats
06-11-05, 10:44 PM
Uh oh........Skinny Sarah did'nt do that well.........the fever is breaking.

dando
06-11-05, 10:49 PM
Uh oh........Skinny Sarah did'nt do that well.........the fever is breaking.
The media likes to attack what it builds up, especially when its been used to build hype like this. Anti-Danicle press commencing in 3, 2, 1....

:gomer: amplified

-Kevin

rabbit
06-11-05, 10:55 PM
Scott Van Pelt on SportsCenter: "Danica Patrick, going for her first win in just her second race..." :shakehead

dando
06-11-05, 10:57 PM
Scott Van Pelt on SportsCenter: "Danica Patrick, going for her first win in just her second race..." :shakehead
Damn. I actually like SVP. Strong is the Kool Aid in Bristol, yes. :shakehead

-Kevin

EDwardo
06-11-05, 11:34 PM
What do you expect? She only had that special Honda engine for Indy. I suspect she was advised not to mix it up. With Texas' history of high speed carbon fiber dispersal events it seemed wise to stay out of trouble. I actually heard that the drivers were ordered not to race 3 wide. And everyone was lapping at 100% throttle. A relatively wreck free race only shows that if you apply enough downforce, reduce speed enough, and instruct the drivers to cruise for 200 laps the event can be declared a safe, rousing success. Wrecter not only finishing, but winning exposes the sham.

dando
06-11-05, 11:42 PM
What do you expect? She only had that special Honda engine for Indy. I suspect she was advised not to mix it up. With Texas' history of high speed carbon fiber dispersal events it seemed wise to stay out of trouble. I actually heard that the drivers were ordered not to race 3 wide. And everyone was lapping at 100% throttle. A relatively wreck free race only shows that if you apply enough downforce, reduce speed enough, and instruct the drivers to cruise for 200 laps the event can be declared a safe, rousing success. Wrecter not only finishing, but winning exposes the sham.
Chebbie got the race specials for this event. FTG thinks he has a chance to save Chebbie....heck, Fonda might have helped out to complete the farce. :gomer:

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
06-11-05, 11:44 PM
Chebbie got the race specials for this event. FTG thinks he has a chance to save Chebbie....heck, Fonda might have helped out to complete the farce. :gomer:

-KevinYa, whoremonger was praising Cheby and all the Americans who built it......I nearly puked.

EVL29
06-12-05, 01:44 AM
Danica's performance was shall we say....Fisheresque. :laugh:

Jervis Tetch 1
06-12-05, 01:56 AM
Danica's performance was shall we say....Fisheresque. :laugh: :rofl:

Yeah, Panther got the Chebbie specials for this one. Panther needed to win this one, because they are in trouble once Pennzoil leaves. I understand they will use one of the backups for Buddy L's car later this season.

oddlycalm
06-12-05, 06:27 AM
Danica's performance was shall we say....Fisheresque. :laugh: Hold on there pardner. According to Autosport she was in 13th and the last car on the lead lap and only 4 spots back of her team mate. Why that's damn near the same as winning.... ain't it? :confused:

I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't another SI cover is just around the corner. :thumbup: :gomer:

oc

gjc2
06-12-05, 09:46 AM
Hold on there pardner. According to Autosport she was in 13th and the last car on the lead lap and only 4 spots back of her team mate. Why that's damn near the same as winning.... ain't it? :confused:oc

Those 12 people ahead of her were probably cheating.

Rogue Leader
06-12-05, 10:42 AM
ESPN Just showed a recap... after mentioning Sheckter's win the first (and only) person they showed an interview with was Danica. I yelled YOU SUCK at the screen...

Yes I have issues, I apparently need to grow some tits and long hair so I can suck ass at racing beyond my local autocross....

dando
06-12-05, 10:45 AM
I apparently need to grow some tits

Once you figger that out, please let The Danicle know yer secret. :gomer:

-Kevin

G.
06-13-05, 03:19 PM
Hold on there pardner. According to Autosport she was in 13th and the last car on the lead lap and only 4 spots back of her team mate. Why that's damn near the same as winning.... ain't it? :confused:

I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't another SI cover is just around the corner.

oc :laugh: :laugh:

skaven
06-13-05, 03:40 PM
Yes I have issues, I apparently need to grow some tits and long hair so I can suck ass at racing beyond my local autocross....

This is WAY off topic, but sometimes I have to work around a pharmacological intermediate whose side effect (among others) causes breasts to grow on men. It only works on men, otherwise there would be breast enlargement pills competing with silicone implants. And no, I can't get you some. :saywhat:

Try growing out your hair though - Rogue Fabio - might work for you. :rofl:

dando
06-13-05, 03:41 PM
And let the anti-hype begin. The headline in today's local fishwrap:

IRL: Patrick’s 13th-place finish doesn’t live up to hype

Patrick might be the best thing, publicity-wise, to hit the IRL. And that exposure might have come at a critical time for the series. She might be photogenic, quotable and confident in dealing with the public and the media, and she has proved to be more than capable in the car. But she is not Wonder Woman.

:laugh:

"She ain't won nothin' yet..."

:gomer:

-Kevin

Rogue Leader
06-13-05, 04:55 PM
This is WAY off topic, but sometimes I have to work around a pharmacological intermediate whose side effect (among others) causes breasts to grow on men. It only works on men, otherwise there would be breast enlargement pills competing with silicone implants. And no, I can't get you some. :saywhat:

Try growing out your hair though - Rogue Fabio - might work for you. :rofl:

hmmm reeeeeeealy....

hehehehe

cart7
06-13-05, 05:35 PM
Apparently, ESPN sportcenters race recap originally said the only reason Danicle was that far behind was due to a fueling error by her pit crew. :rolleyes:

No fella's, only if her car was fueled by the Hemelgarn team.

JohnnyQ
06-13-05, 08:14 PM
Hey....OW is finally starting to get some marketing behind it? LOL

Beats beating the drum to idiots like Kannan, Helio and Bruno.

Sean O'Gorman
06-13-05, 08:21 PM
My friend from school (Stu on those forums, he lurks here too, as I'm slowly opening his eyes to racing beyond NASCAR) sent me this thread, it is a bunch of Browns fans talking about Danica, IRL, Champ Car, and NASCAR. Interesting to read the viewpoints of casual fans.

http://dawgtalk.clevelandbrowns.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1148129&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#Post1149091

trish
06-14-05, 04:02 AM
And let the anti-hype begin. The headline in today's local fishwrap:

"She ain't won nothin' yet..."

:gomer:

-Kevin
People are still talking about her and mentioning her series name. Publicity.

KLang
06-14-05, 02:23 PM
USA Today article: Time for Danica hype machine to gear down (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/lopresti/2005-06-13-lopresti-patrick_x.htm)

But here's the thing. You haven't won a race yet in the Indy Racing League.

Saviors finish first. Maybe second. Not 13th.

Looks like finally some in the press are seeing through the hype.

oddlycalm
06-14-05, 08:34 PM
Looks like finally some in the press are seeing through the hype. If she fails to post results, which is a near certainty, this won't be the last such article. Worse will be when nobody even bothers to write even a critical article.

In the end she will have been rushed in before she was ready (if indeed she ever got to the place where she was ready) and sacrificed to prop up a failing five hunnert. Regrettable, but she signed up for it.

oc

Mark521
06-14-05, 08:42 PM
Yes, Danica fever is breaking:

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/11887385.htm

Posted on Tue, Jun. 14, 2005

Sex still sells in women's sports world

By Bob Ford

Inquirer Columnist (Philadelphia Inquirer, Philadelphia, PA)

Annika and Danica.

They are professional athletes who have reached a level of fame so impressive that each can be identified just by her first name.

The main difference between them is that golfer Annika Sorenstam, who walked away over the weekend with the McDonald's LPGA Championship in Havre de Grace, Md., and is halfway to winning the Grand Slam of women's golf, has actually won something in her career.

Danica Patrick, a rookie driver in the Indy Racing League who finished 13th Saturday in something called the Bombardier Learjet 500 in Fort Worth, Texas, is merely a trophy who has never hoisted one.

Harsh? Perhaps, but the media frenzy surrounding Patrick and the attention given Sorenstam, appreciative but hardly effusive, have nothing to do with the relative accomplishments of the two women.

All of this says something about the nature of women's sports in this country, about the insatiable shallowness of the marketing monsters. It also says that, unfortunately, when it comes to judging women, society is often less concerned with the proper application of logic than with the proper application of mascara.

While Patrick isn't complaining - as if she could somehow slow the frenzy or should apologize for being an undeniably attractive 23-year-old - there is a terrible, ancient lesson being imparted to women here.

It is this: You are important, and what you can achieve is limitless, particularly if you look hot in a bathing suit.

The message is supposed to be hopelessly out of date, wiped away by the gender revolutions of the last 40 years or so. But "Danica Mania," which isn't so very different from the hubbub that followed Anna Kournikova during her meager but photogenic tennis career, is an indication that some things will never change.

This just in: Sex sells.

Sorenstam, it has to be mentioned in the interest of not slighting her in this regard, is a pretty woman. She has always come across as a reserved professional who has never been inclined or interested in trading on her looks. Sorenstam could do the glamour shoots, too, but that is not her nature.

What she does instead is win golf tournaments, often with a performance so steely and dominating - like the one over the weekend - that the rest of the field is reduced to playing for second place. Sorenstam has won 62 tournaments, including nine major championships. This season, she has won six of the eight events she played.

All of which is fine, but it hasn't done much to raise the profile of the LPGA Tour, at least in the mind of corporate America. Young Michelle Wie might provide some help, but anyone who doesn't think the LPGA would be doing cartwheels if the head-turning Natalie Gulbis were winning all these tournaments hasn't been paying attention.

Or at least hasn't been paying attention to the Indy Racing League.

The IRL is an organization in serious trouble. Its events, with the exception of the Indianapolis 500, have become so marginalized that it is the rare sports fan who could pick Dan Wheldon - the circuit's current superstar - out of a lineup.

Even the Indy 500 had slipped in the television ratings behind whatever NASCAR put up against it. Until this year, that is, when ratings jumped 40 percent.

This year, Patrick was the story, and if she wasn't the story, the shilling TV commentators and the advertising demons were going to make her the story. At some point of the race broadcast, Patrick was compared to Amelia Earhart, with little doubt that Earhart was the lucky one to be included in the comparison.

Part of this was doubtlessly because Patrick is a decent driver, but a larger part had to do with things like the magazine photo spread in which Patrick was posed caressingly, and nearly indecently, upon a car hood. The symbolism - that Patrick is great behind the wheel but even better as a hood ornament - was inescapable.

Patrick led briefly at Indy, becoming the first woman to do so. Getting the lead was accomplished by skipping a late fuel stop. It put her in front, but also meant she had to run with a thin fuel mixture the rest of the race and had no chance to win. She finished fourth, nearly coasting at the end. It was a good performance, although not deserving of the hysteria that followed.

And, meanwhile, Sorenstam whacks the ball down the fairway, walks after it, whacks it again, wins nearly every tournament, and is generally taken for granted.

Annika and Danica. One is old hat, while the other, so to speak, is new halter top.

This is all predictable, of course, but it isn't fair, it doesn't say much for real equality, and it points out that while you may have come a long way, baby, don't forget to bring the high heels with you.

RTKar
06-14-05, 09:14 PM
Finally, the truth;

"Patrick led briefly at Indy, becoming the first woman to do so. Getting the lead was accomplished by skipping a late fuel stop. It put her in front, but also meant she had to run with a thin fuel mixture the rest of the race and had no chance to win. She finished fourth, nearly coasting at the end. It was a good performance, although not deserving of the hysteria that followed."

Spicoli
06-14-05, 09:35 PM
Texas ratings:

:)

Paintergeek
06-14-05, 09:38 PM
I'm sure America is ready for a woman to win a major race. What I am not so sure is if America is ready to see a woman pulled out of what's left of her car after hitting the wall in Turn 4. Badly hurt. Or worse.

dando
06-14-05, 09:52 PM
People are still talking about her and mentioning her series name. Publicity.
Yup, and I clearly indicated in other threads on this subject that the hype would end shortly after TMS. The media will move on once the smoke screen clears, and the truth is seen. Get back to me in a month or two, and if she can't back it up with a win, you'll see that the hype will have dimished as quickly as it started.

-Kevin

FRANKY
06-14-05, 09:52 PM
Texas ratings:

:)

What's a decmal point placement between friends. :gomer:

"Texas event draws ESPN’s best IndyCar Series rating: ESPN’s coverage of the IRL IndyCar® Series’ Bombardier Learjet 500k on June 11 from Texas Motor Speedway had a ratings increase of 150 percent, according to Nielsen Media Research, making it the highest-rated and most-viewed IndyCar Series race in the network’s history.

Saturday’s prime-time race coverage garnered a 1.0 cable rating, the equivalent to 880,000 households and more than 1.3 million viewers.

According to Nielsen Media Research, the race produced a 200 percent increase in ratings for adults (18+) from 0.2 in 2004 to 0.6. The rating for men 18-34 increased 100 percent (from 0.2 to 0.4). Females 18+ saw a 300 percent increase in rating (from 0.1 to 0.4) and males 18+ saw a 200 percent increase (from 0.3 to 0.9).

ESPN’s previous high rating was a 0.9 and 809,000 households for the Toyota Indy 300 from Homestead-Miami Speedway on Feb. 29, 2004.

According to Nielsen Media Research, 46 of the country’s top 56 markets saw an increase in ratings vs. 2004, with 20 of those markets showing a three-fold increase and ratings in 36 markets at least doubling.

The Dallas-Fort Worth market had the biggest audience with 62,000 homes tuned in for a 2.7 rating and a 5 share. Indianapolis saw the biggest rating with a 4.3, representing 46,000 homes and an 8 share.

Saturday’s pre-race programming, which included ESPN Original Entertainment’s “Danica Patrick: Road to Indy,” earned a 0.4 rating and 383,000 households, matching last season’s race coverage from Texas Motor Speedway, according to Nielsen Media Research."

dando
06-14-05, 10:00 PM
What's a decmal point placement between friends. :gomer:

"Texas event draws ESPN’s best IndyCar Series rating: ESPN’s coverage of the IRL IndyCar® Series’ Bombardier Learjet 500k on June 11 from Texas Motor Speedway had a ratings increase of 150 percent, according to Nielsen Media Research, making it the highest-rated and most-viewed IndyCar Series race in the network’s history.

Saturday’s prime-time race coverage garnered a 1.0 cable rating, the equivalent to 880,000 households and more than 1.3 million viewers.

According to Nielsen Media Research, the race produced a 200 percent increase in ratings for adults (18+) from 0.2 in 2004 to 0.6. The rating for men 18-34 increased 100 percent (from 0.2 to 0.4). Females 18+ saw a 300 percent increase in rating (from 0.1 to 0.4) and males 18+ saw a 200 percent increase (from 0.3 to 0.9).

ESPN’s previous high rating was a 0.9 and 809,000 households for the Toyota Indy 300 from Homestead-Miami Speedway on Feb. 29, 2004.

According to Nielsen Media Research, 46 of the country’s top 56 markets saw an increase in ratings vs. 2004, with 20 of those markets showing a three-fold increase and ratings in 36 markets at least doubling.

The Dallas-Fort Worth market had the biggest audience with 62,000 homes tuned in for a 2.7 rating and a 5 share. Indianapolis saw the biggest rating with a 4.3, representing 46,000 homes and an 8 share.

Saturday’s pre-race programming, which included ESPN Original Entertainment’s “Danica Patrick: Road to Indy,” earned a 0.4 rating and 383,000 households, matching last season’s race coverage from Texas Motor Speedway, according to Nielsen Media Research."

My socks are gone...oh wait, I'm wearing sandals. :gomer:

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
06-14-05, 11:49 PM
Does that mean we have to call it the 1RL now?

racer2c
06-15-05, 12:11 AM
GM, Toyota and Honda will surely hang their hats on a fourth place finish and a 1.0 rating. I mean, it doesn't get any better right? :gomer:

Ankf00
06-15-05, 01:55 AM
all the chicks and even alot of the dudes at the pool this weekend were talking about the race, it's sickening really...

racer2c
06-15-05, 08:35 AM
all the chicks and even alot of the dudes at the pool this weekend were talking about the race, it's sickening really...

Does your friends mom's really constitute "chicks"? ;)

lone_groover
06-15-05, 08:38 AM
Oh snap!

:eek:

:cry:

Spicoli
06-15-05, 09:47 AM

So did you upgrade the memory on your picture phone? :gomer:

lone_groover
06-15-05, 11:45 AM
Too bad Shecter never gets any mainstream press. Or maybe, that's by design.

Just how much do you think that the I*L butt-trust would like it publicized that their BEST driver is a.....wait for it........JEW; and he's from.......AFRICA!!!

They'd better hope word don't leak out in Sparta or Richmond or Nashville, especially if any of them are night races!

:saywhat:

racer2c
06-15-05, 11:54 AM

Just how much do you think that the I*L butt-trust would like it publicized that their BEST driver is a.....wait for it........JEW; and he's from.......AFRICA!!!

They'd better hope word don't leak out in Sparta or Richmond or Nashville, especially if any of them are night races!

:rofl:

Spicoli
06-15-05, 02:30 PM

Just call him Tommy. :D That works on Whackforum.

Andrew Longman
06-15-05, 02:49 PM

The South and South Africa share a strong tradition of apartide, one they are both "trying to get over".

That whole Jew thing may be a problem though. As Kinky Friedman says, "They ain't making Jews like Jesus anymore" :gomer:

Napoleon
06-15-05, 08:03 PM
That whole Jew thing may be a problem though. As Kinky Friedman says, "They ain't making Jews like Jesus anymore" :gomer:

Got to love Kinky.

So are Texans on this site going to vote for him?

DagoFast
06-15-05, 08:43 PM
Got to love Kinky.

So are Texans on this site going to vote for him?

Please Texans! Don't do it! Ya'all can't hog him. Keep him writing books for all of us!

gerhard911
06-15-05, 08:47 PM
"Git your biscuits in the oven & your buns into bed" :cool:

Hey, maybe that's some good advice for Danicle :laugh:

Ankf00
06-15-05, 08:55 PM
Does your friends mom's really constitute "chicks"?

no need to hate, there was serious milf'age going on :cool:
and it ain't memory... I need to buy the software for the fone to dock to the PC .. so many photos, all sitting around in the flash mem wasting away :(

3. too many ppl in the DalWorthless area were into this race... too many... something must be done :mad: oh wait, they're all Cowboys and Mavs fans, they're hopeless :gomer:

Napoleon
06-16-05, 09:30 AM
Please Texans! Don't do it! Ya'all can't hog him. Keep him writing books for all of us!

I love his campaign slogan "why the hell not?"

http://www.kinkyfriedman.com/

Some of the quotes from his campaign for Texas governor site (although to be fair much of it actually is more serious and I sensed this really is more then a publicity stunt for him):

"The professionals gave us the Titanic, amateurs gave us the Ark. Career politicians are ribbon cutters. They see the governor’s office as a job; I see it as an opportunity to make that Lone Star shine again."

"I’m a Jew, I’ll hire good people."

Andrew Longman
06-16-05, 11:17 AM
I love his campaign slogan "why the hell not?"

http://www.kinkyfriedman.com/

Some of the quotes from his campaign for Texas governor site (although to be fair much of it actually is more serious and I sensed this really is more then a publicity stunt for him):

"The professionals gave us the Titanic, amateurs gave us the Ark. Career politicians are ribbon cutters. They see the governor’s office as a job; I see it as an opportunity to make that Lone Star shine again."

"I’m a Jew, I’ll hire good people."

"I'll sign anything except bad legislation"

"Kinky for Governor: How Hard Can It Be?"