PDA

View Full Version : Friday is the day, we learn that IRL will become Formula Ilmor.

Fio1
06-08-05, 11:49 PM
According to some European press, it looks like Toyota will announce that they will follow Chevy and bail on the Danica 500, sorry IRL series. Which means that Honda will also bail since it has no interest on racing itself. Penske call TonyG and said he'll supply Ilmors to everyone if needed. Hey, weren't the gomers saying something about how lame Champcars was when they only had Cosworths? :rolleyes:

BTW, for those that speak Italian: http://www.italiaracing.net/news.asp?id=1526&cat=INDYCAR&nome=INDYCAR&cart=news_indycar

Methanolandbrats
06-08-05, 11:57 PM
WTF? THe Guidos write about the IRL? Why? :confused:

racer2c
06-08-05, 11:57 PM
So there will be two seperate spec series with no sponsors, spiraling downward into oblivion. Hey! Thanks Tony G! :shakehead

What a mess.

racer2c
06-08-05, 11:59 PM
here's a babelfish translation.

Those are tension days that follow the great festivity of the 500 Miles of Indianapolis for the atmosphere of the Indycar. 11 saturdays june will be run in nocturnal on the fast oval of Fort Worth, in Texas, and for friday an announcement is attended that could destabilize the category. The Toyota in fact, would have the intention to follow the Chevrolet, than to fine season it will abandon the Indycar. At the moment they are the three suppliers of the motors: Chevrolet, Honda and Toyota. From various months vociferava that the Toyota wanted to be withdrawn to aim 2006, but hour seems that one dipartita anticipated is being programmed. Inasmuch as the bad news never does not arrive sun, in the USA it says that if the Toyota will go via, the Honda would not feel more the necessity than to remain in the Indycar having lost the main one it avails again. And therefore the series would remain without engineers! Roger Penske would have met Tony George, Indycar president, proposing an only supplier: the Ilmor. The Toyota supplies the propulsori to the teams Cheever, Foyt, Ganassi, Hemelgarn, Penske while the Chevrolet is uses you from the Panther team.

dando
06-09-05, 12:00 AM
BTW, for those that speak Italian: http://www.italiaracing.net/news.asp?id=1526&cat=INDYCAR&nome=INDYCAR&cart=news_indycar

Or, one can use Babel Fish to translate (the Innernets is :cool:)

Those are tension days that follow the great festivity of the 500 Miles of Indianapolis for the atmosphere of the Indycar. 11 saturdays june will be run in nocturnal on the fast oval of Fort Worth, in Texas, and for friday an announcement is attended that could destabilize the category. The Toyota in fact, would have the intention to follow the Chevrolet, than to fine season it will abandon the Indycar. At the moment they are the three suppliers of the motors: Chevrolet, Honda and Toyota. From various months vociferava that the Toyota wanted to be withdrawn to aim 2006, but hour seems that one dipartita anticipated is being programmed. Inasmuch as the bad news never does not arrive sun, in the USA it says that if the Toyota will go via, the Honda would not feel more the necessity than to remain in the Indycar having lost the main one it avails again. And therefore the series would remain without engineers! Roger Penske would have met Tony George, Indycar president, proposing an only supplier: the Ilmor. The Toyota supplies the propulsori to the teams Cheever, Foyt, Ganassi, Hemelgarn, Penske while the Chevrolet is uses you from the Panther team.

-Kevin

dando
06-09-05, 12:01 AM
here's a babelfish translation.

****er! You beat me to it by a minute! :gomer:

-Kevin

racer2c
06-09-05, 12:02 AM
****er! You beat me to it by a minute! :gomer:

-Kevin

;)

dando
06-09-05, 12:03 AM
Uh, Dallara, you cheesehead. :)

-Kevin

Fio1
06-09-05, 02:12 AM
OK, here's my translation, using the one you guys got on the internet.

These are tension filled days in Indycars that follow the great festivity of the Indy 500 Miles. Saturday, June 11 will run in nocturnal on the fast oval of Fort Worth, in Texas, and on friday an announcement is expected that could destabilize the series. Toyota have the intention to follow Chevrolet, to abandon Indycars at season's end. At the moment they are three suppliers of the motors: Chevrolet, Honda and Toyota. From various months rumors that Toyota wanted to withdrawl in 2006, but now it seems that their departure is anticipated. Inasmuch as the bad news never does not arrive alone (not sun!)in the USA; it says that if Toyota will go away, then Honda would not feel necessary to remain in Indycar having lost it's main rival. And therefore the series would remain without engines! Roger Penske has met Tony George, Indycar president, proposing an soul supplier: the Ilmor. Toyota supplies the engines to the teams; Cheever, Foyt, Ganassi, Hemelgarn, Penske while the Chevrolet is used by the Panther team.

chop456
06-09-05, 02:29 AM
Is Roger now going to pay the teams the millions in fake sponsorship that Honda and Toyota did?

All they've achieved, if true, is the ability for their cars to achieve forward motion. I'm sure the Rahals, Ganassis and Andrettis of the world will all be more then happy to PAY for Team Penske's scraps. :laugh:

FCYTravis
06-09-05, 04:35 AM
Lowering Expectations Since 1996.

Napoleon
06-09-05, 05:44 AM
Is there any other sourse saying the announcement will be Friday? That is the day you announce news if it is bad and you want to try and bury it.

Spicoli
06-09-05, 06:12 AM
define "friday". ;)

Methanolandbrats
06-09-05, 06:57 AM
Uh, Dallara, you cheesehead. :)

-Kevin Same question, except for the people at Dallara, there can't be 10 people in Italy who GAF about the IRL.

nrc
06-09-05, 09:00 AM
It's a good thing Tony didn't distract them with those new engine rules back in May .

KobySon
06-09-05, 09:42 AM
:rofl:

dando
06-09-05, 12:18 PM
Same question, except for the people at Dallara, there can't be 10 people in Italy who GAF about the IRL.
Well that's 10 more than I know. :gomer:

-Kevin

JLMannin
06-09-05, 12:44 PM
I predict three tiers of Illmor engines:

The top tier is for Roger
The second tier is for those teams that can actually pay money for engines. This will be the current top-tier Honda.
The lowest tier will be the freebies that Foyt, Hemmelgarn, Beck, et al will get. To the teams, they will be free - TG will be picking up the coin for these.

I wonder what Foyt will have to say about this, if it comes to pass.

TRDfan
06-09-05, 12:46 PM
Truck series runs Friday night at Texas also.....maybe it's a Busch announcement, which by default, will be an IRL announcement.

(Now what was that info I had about Busch teams.....)

G.
06-09-05, 12:57 PM
I predict three tiers of Illmor engines:

The second tier is for those teams that can actually pay money for engines. This will be the current top-tier Honda.

With what money? Jim Beam bucks? Slurpees?

oddlycalm
06-09-05, 01:37 PM
With what money? Jim Beam bucks? Slurpees? Get ready for much smaller teams.

oc

Steve99
06-09-05, 03:39 PM
Ferrari is going to supply engines to the earl. You heard it hear first.

eiregosod
06-09-05, 03:45 PM
wouldn't it be funny if Kalkhoven stepped in at the last moment and bought Ilmor. just to provide diversity in thechampcar series. and it would tick the gomers off to no end :gomer:

trauma1
06-09-05, 03:52 PM
Ferrari is going to supply engines to the earl. You heard it hear first.

gomers say PORSCHE :rofl:

devilmaster
06-09-05, 04:37 PM
I wonder what Foyt will have to say about this, if it comes to pass.

Hmm, with this article, one can see the correlation between the possible leaving of Toyo and foyt's comments....

In a perfect world, A.J. Foyt IV, the grandson of A.J., would drive No. 14 to victory in Saturday's Bombardier Learjet 500K at Texas Motor Speedway. The Foyts would celebrate in their home state, and their legend would grow.

It won't happen. Period. End of pipe dream.

And despite what you might read in certain racing publications, Foyt insists it has nothing to with his ability as an owner or the ability of Anthony — as A.J. IV is known — to drive a race car.

The car A.J. owns and Anthony drives makes it impossible for him to compete, Foyt says. Under a contract that ends at the end of this season, the Foyts have a car with a Toyota engine. There is absolutely nothing wrong with driving a Camry around town, but the Toyota engines in the Indy Racing League are, quite simply, dogs.

There aren't many laughs in the Foyt camp these days. Anthony, who turned 21 this year, feels pressure on both ends. His grandfather is a great teacher, but he also is demanding. Anthony goes into each race hoping for the best but understanding it likely won't happen.

"It is tough when you go out and you want to run with everybody and your car is handling well, and you're still 3 or 4 mph off the pace," Anthony said. "Toyota says they're working hard, but we also heard that last year and at the beginning of this year.

"Hopefully they'll find something to get us up there where we need to be. I know they know we're down, but it doesn't make it any easier on us. What we need to do is get on equal footing."

pchall
06-09-05, 08:20 PM
gomers say PORSCHE :rofl:

Ah, the good old days of Axxess Power....

Jervis Tetch 1
06-10-05, 12:16 AM
All the gomers at Crack F are gloating because they said the announcement would happen after the qualifying was over. It ain't Friday yet deekheads. :gomer:

nrc
06-10-05, 12:39 AM
I'm waiting for the word before gloating about anything. I actually expect them to wait for the engine rules announcement so they can use that as a reason.

racer2c
06-10-05, 10:05 AM
I'm waiting for the word before gloating about anything. I actually expect them to wait for the engine rules announcement so they can use that as a reason.

I'd be really surprised if they announced their departure on a race weekend.

KLang
06-10-05, 10:14 AM
I'd be really surprised if they announced their departure on a race weekend.

Didn't Honda do it to us a few years back?

I don't think it makes sense to annouce until after the new specs are announced. Of course maybe that's why the specs were delayed.....

Steve99
06-10-05, 01:29 PM
I don't think it makes sense to annouce until after the new specs are announced. Of course maybe that's why the specs were delayed.....
So if they never announce new specs Toyo is trapped there forever?

FanofMario
06-11-05, 12:07 AM
I guess we are still waiting. Listen is that crickets?

:rolleyes:

KobySon
06-11-05, 12:14 AM
Didn't Honda do it to us a few years back?

I don't like the sound of that.

gjc2
06-11-05, 11:43 AM
Not that I’m a proponent of unification, but if Penske does buy (or has bought) Ilmor, and then if Ilmor becomes the sole engine supplier to the IRL for 2007 and beyond, Penske, Kalkhoven and Forsythe would be in a position to make huge progress toward a unified series without the cooperation of Tony George.

George

oddlycalm
06-11-05, 05:02 PM
Not that I’m a proponent of unification, but if Penske does buy (or has bought) Ilmor, and then if Ilmor becomes the sole engine supplier to the IRL for 2007 and beyond, Penske, Kalkhoven and Forsythe would be in a position to make huge progress toward a unified series without the cooperation of Tony George. Yeah, there's certainly some serious leverage that goes along with owning an engine works. One thing for certain is that it guarantees they will have chairs to sit in when the music stops.

oc

Insomniac
06-11-05, 05:55 PM
Not that I’m a proponent of unification, but if Penske does buy (or has bought) Ilmor, and then if Ilmor becomes the sole engine supplier to the IRL for 2007 and beyond, Penske, Kalkhoven and Forsythe would be in a position to make huge progress toward a unified series without the cooperation of Tony George.

George

TG will just kick them all out and do it again if it doesn't go his way. And presumably, if he's being forced, it's not going his way.

dando
06-11-05, 10:17 PM
In the meantime, back in :gomer:ville, there's talk about Chebbie staying on board:

http://speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/17506/

Frankly, based on the recent financial news from GM, I find this :laugh:able.

-Kevin

stroker
06-12-05, 11:14 AM
In the meantime, back in :gomer:ville, there's talk about Chebbie staying on board:

http://speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/17506/

Frankly, based on the recent financial news from GM, I find this :laugh:able.

-Kevin

My, that article doesn't smell of rank desperation, does it?

We'll soon be hearing: "GM is committed to leading the automotive industry, and racing is an important part of that. The Indianapolis 500 is one of the most prestigious motorsports events in the world, and GM is convinced that participating in the IRL is an effective use of its resources."

Translation: "Now that we're paying a pittance for the use of our logo we can justify this as a marketing tool while the .1RL is actually getting some attention outside the Indianapolis metro area."

Wally
06-13-05, 11:27 AM
I was out of the loop for four days. Was there a yoda statement or was that BS?

cameraman
06-13-05, 12:29 PM
I was out of the loop for four days. Was there a yoda statement or was that BS?
Toyota said nothing
The IRL said nothing

It was a good weekend to go camping, tho'

EVL29
06-13-05, 12:55 PM
Toyota said nothing
The IRL said nothing

Or as my Dad said to me as a young 'un...."If you don't have anything good to say,keep your mouth shut"

No joy in gomerville,eh. :gomer:

pchall
06-13-05, 01:30 PM
Or as my Dad said to me as a young 'un...."If you don't have anything good to say,keep your mouth shut"

Your Dad is Thumper's Mother? :eek:

Peter Venkman
06-15-05, 11:15 PM
[QUOTE=chop456]Is Roger now going to pay the teams the millions in fake sponsorship that Honda and Toyota did?

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

My damn spleen hurts.

Mark521
06-26-05, 08:26 AM
RM say's Toyota will announce that they're gone after 2006. I would then guess the new engine specs (& manufacturers?) would be announced shortly there after.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/17844/