PDA

View Full Version : Interview with A.J. Houston Chronicle

Wheel-Nut
06-08-05, 02:58 PM
Straight from the horses mouth!

LINK (http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/car/3215987)

In a perfect world, A.J. Foyt IV, the grandson of A.J., would drive No. 14 to victory in Saturday's Bombardier Learjet 500K at Texas Motor Speedway. The Foyts would celebrate in their home state, and their legend would grow.

It won't happen. Period. End of pipe dream.

And despite what you might read in certain racing publications, Foyt insists it has nothing to with his ability as an owner or the ability of Anthony — as A.J. IV is known — to drive a race car.

The car A.J. owns and Anthony drives makes it impossible for him to compete, Foyt says. Under a contract that ends at the end of this season, the Foyts have a car with a Toyota engine. There is absolutely nothing wrong with driving a Camry around town, but the Toyota engines in the Indy Racing League are, quite simply, dogs.

Foyt also bristles when he reads that his lack of knowledge and confidence in computers that design modern engines has held back his team. Not so, he says.

"People say we don't have the computer stuff everybody else has," Foyt said. "That's all bull. I've got the same computers as everybody else has. Most of these engineers I know. I can get help from any of them I want.

"I've had a couple of them come over and say, 'Hell, A.J., you forgot more than we'll ever know.' It's just what people want to write. I laugh about it."

There aren't many laughs in the Foyt camp these days. Anthony, who turned 21 this year, feels pressure on both ends. His grandfather is a great teacher, but he also is demanding. Anthony goes into each race hoping for the best but understanding it likely won't happen.

"It is tough when you go out and you want to run with everybody and your car is handling well, and you're still 3 or 4 mph off the pace," Anthony said. "Toyota says they're working hard, but we also heard that last year and at the beginning of this year.

"Hopefully they'll find something to get us up there where we need to be. I know they know we're down, but it doesn't make it any easier on us. What we need to do is get on equal footing."

:gomer:

RichK
06-08-05, 03:15 PM
What we need to do is get on equal footing."

Someone should start a racing league where the little guy has an opportunity! These engine leases where some teams get dozens of hp more than others is just wrong. Here's an American race driver who doesn't have the opportunity to race the likes of Penske, Ganassi, Rahal, Andretti, and Green.

Something should be done! :mad:

cart7
06-08-05, 03:59 PM
Yep. It's the engines. That's what it is. Yep.

Spicoli
06-08-05, 04:12 PM
There are so many prollems in FoytVille, one has to wonder where the hell you start.

I wish mashed-potatohead would just blow the **** up and be gone.

DagoFast
06-08-05, 06:46 PM
Straight from the horses mouth!

LINK (http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/car/3215987)

Foyt also bristles when he reads that his lack of knowledge and confidence in computers that design modern engines has held back his team. Not so, he says, "we gotz kwality tools damnit! My daddy bought 'em and I still knoz where dey comed from. Why if I coulda figgered out where to hook up pappy's 'ol timing light to this here jap motor, I coulda dailed in about 15 more dergrees of advance and quattro woulda smoked them fruity furriners. I'll be damned iffin I can find the distributer on this rice burner!"

"People say we don't have the computer stuff everybody else has," Foyt said. "That's all bull. I've got the same computers as everybody else has. Minez jjust awl smashed up in pieces, that's the only differnce" said the fat man as he stuffed another hugh sammich in he craw. "Damn this is good! Whered it commed from?"

There. All fixed.

pchall
06-08-05, 07:21 PM
Straight from the horses mouth! :gomer:

There! Such a simple and elegant solution! Now, to which Learning Center should we send ol' AJ so he can tell the difference from being the horse's mouth and being the horse's ass?

dando
06-08-05, 07:49 PM
:saywhat:

So drop a ****ing Fonda in the car car! It just means IV will drive it into the wall or another car 1/10ths faster. :shakehead :gomer:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
06-08-05, 08:16 PM
Deja Vu all over again :rofl:

Jervis Tetch 1
06-09-05, 01:07 AM

So drop a ****ing Fonda in the car car! It just means IV will drive it into the wall or another car 1/10ths faster. :shakehead :gomer:

-Kevin
:thumbup:

Michaelhatesfans
06-09-05, 01:44 AM

-Kevin
Beat me to it. It's not a matter of horsepower, it's a matter of friction and drag as the kid slides along the wall.

Wheel-Nut
06-09-05, 09:47 AM
There! Such a simple and elegant solution! Now, to which Learning Center should we send ol' AJ so he can tell the difference from being the horse's mouth and being the horse's ass?

Maybe they can enroll for a 2 for 1 special price.

The other night the local news had an interview with IV. My wife looks at me with this confused look onher face, (who btw has no clue who IV is,) and I tell her, "I have no idea what he just said!!" I didn't inderstand a word that came out of that kids mouth. :shakehead

Steve99
06-09-05, 03:35 PM

-Kevin
It would help if IV would open his eyes while driving. I still can't believe how he could have taken out Bruno if his eyes had been open, unless it was on purpose.