PDA

View Full Version : The claws come out...

cameraman
06-08-05, 02:53 PM
"We do not constantly ask why BMW had some 150 engine failures in 2000 alone,"

So whose engines is Frank Williams going to use?

tllips
06-08-05, 03:54 PM
Isn't Cosworth looking for someone on the grid to supply engines to? ;)

cameraman
06-08-05, 04:08 PM
You mean besides Minardi....

Gnam
06-08-05, 04:37 PM
2006 Speculation:
1) Ferrari
2) Red Bull --> Ferrari
3) Toyota
4) Jordan --> Toyota
5) Sauber --> BMW
===================
5) B A R --> Honda
6) McLaren --> Mercedes
7) Renault
8) Minardi --> Cosworth

If you assume Ferrari and Toyota don't want more than one customer team and that BMW won't supply Williams, that leaves four engines avaliable to Williams.

Honda: Want to win badly and has lots of horsepower like the BMW.
Mercedes: Already have McLaren and Kimi, why share the glory?
Renault: I dunno.
Cosworth: Supposed to have good power and doesn't have a partnership with a top team.

My money is on Cosworth.

oddlycalm
06-09-05, 12:42 PM
My money is on Cosworth. Probably a good bet. Honda might be as well and has a pre-existing relationship with Williams, and is hungry for the podium.

oc

eiregosod
06-09-05, 12:50 PM
150 lumps go pop! dayum, not exactly Der Corporatische Image that BMW would like to Convey ;)

mapguy
06-09-05, 12:59 PM
Probably a good bet. Honda might be as well and has a pre-existing relationship with Williams, and is hungry for the podium.

oc

After the way that Honda treated Williams after Frank's accident I honestly don't think that we will see a Williams-Honda again.

Gnam
06-09-05, 01:06 PM
After the way that Honda treated Williams after Frank's accident I honestly don't think that we will see a Williams-Honda again.
Wha Happen?

mapguy
06-09-05, 02:38 PM
Wha Happen?

Honda dumped Williams after Frank's accident. They apparently didn't have the confindence that he could run the team as a quadraplegic (sp?) so they bailed on him leaving him high and dry. Forced to run Judds until Renault came along. Then, with Renault, Williams was partly responsible for Honda's sudden departure from F1. I love the irony.

RichK
06-09-05, 07:40 PM
It's getting even better! :laugh:

Patrick Head is always entertaining when he gets lathered up:

SpeedTV (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/17434/)

Jervis Tetch 1
06-10-05, 12:13 AM
Honda dumped Williams after Frank's accident. They apparently didn't have the confindence that he could run the team as a quadraplegic (sp?) so they bailed on him leaving him high and dry. Forced to run Judds until Renault came along. Then, with Renault, Williams was partly responsible for Honda's sudden departure from F1. I love the irony.There was some other dealings too. Like the way there was supposedly no team orders in the Nelson Piquet-Nigel Mansell years.

That's part of the reason they went to Lotus with Piquet.

mapguy
06-10-05, 06:24 AM
There was some other dealings too. Like the way there was supposedly no team orders in the Nelson Piquet-Nigel Mansell years.

That's part of the reason they went to Lotus with Piquet.

The other reason is that Honda was trying to force Satoru Nakajima into the other seat.

oddlycalm
06-10-05, 12:14 PM
Honda dumped Williams after Frank's accident. They apparently didn't have the confindence that he could run the team as a quadraplegic (sp?) so they bailed on him leaving him high and dry. Forced to run Judds until Renault came along. Then, with Renault, Williams was partly responsible for Honda's sudden departure from F1. I love the irony. Quite right, I'd forgetten for a moment how Honda crapped on Frank after his accident.

I have to agree with Williams regarding BMW's approach. BMW has been talking in public about being dissatisfied for 3yrs now. If they want their own team they should either proceed or STFU. Given the current comments I think it's safe to say they won't be together next year. I certainly can't see where the Sauber chassis is anything to aspire to, as even with a Ferrari engine in the back it's a backmarker, so I'm assuming BMW intends to build their own.

Williams could certainly go to Cosworth, but paying for engines as opposed to having BMW foot the bill will be a substantial financial hit.

oc