PDA

View Full Version : I guess someone is watching afterall

Sean O'Gorman
06-07-05, 07:36 PM
Rolex Sports Car Series Mont-Tremblant Telecast On SPEED Draws More Than 1.2 Million Unique Viewers (http://www.grandamerican.com/News/Article.asp?ID=4368)

FCYTravis
06-07-05, 08:04 PM
A step in the right direction :cool:

cameraman
06-07-05, 08:09 PM
They are truly happy about getting a 0.32........

Oh my.

FCYTravis
06-07-05, 08:25 PM
Considering that that rating is .12 higher than IRL Motegi and .16 higher than Champ Car Monterrey, yeah, I'd say it's something to be happy about.

In the "nobody cares" world of American road racing, it's nice to know that somebody is starting to pay attention. A 78 percent increase - from "very few" to "few" - is worth putting a PR piece out over.

cameraman
06-08-05, 02:01 AM
I didn't say that they should not be happy.

But the truth is about 0.3% of the US population will watch a CCWS, ALMS or Grand Am race on any given weekend. The problem ain't the racing either...

Wabbit
06-08-05, 11:30 AM
I didn't say that they should not be happy.

But the truth is about 0.3% of the US population will watch a CCWS, ALMS or Grand Am race on any given weekend. The problem ain't the racing either...

It's becuase no one is getting shot at, or their butt kicked.

We need to install some machine guns on the front of the cars like Spy Hunter. That'll being CCWS higher ratings.

Michaelhatesfans
06-08-05, 12:58 PM
I guess you could describe fans of the crapotypes as "unique." :rolleyes:

FCYTravis
06-08-05, 01:31 PM
But the truth is about 0.3% of the US population will watch a CCWS, ALMS or Grand Am race on any given weekend.
Agreed. It's a sad commentary on the state of American road racing when .32 is worth being happy about :mad: :(

Steve99
06-08-05, 02:18 PM
Did they have any "hot chicks" driving? You can't expect anthing above a 0.32 without that.
[/sarcasm]

Rus'L
06-08-05, 03:36 PM
Rolex Sports Car Series Mont-Tremblant Telecast On SPEED Draws More Than 1.2 Million Unique Viewers (http://www.grandamerican.com/News/Article.asp?ID=4368)

You do realize that their math is more screwed up than the IRL math.

1.2 million unique viewers for a .32? I don't think so!

Sounds more like a .com statistic...

FCYTravis
06-08-05, 08:47 PM
Actually, it's not all that far-fetched when you consider it was a six and a half hour broadcast. Certainly some people watched some of it, then tuned out to something else. That person is a "unique viewer" whether they watched all six hours or just 45 minutes.

Rus'L
06-09-05, 07:34 AM
Actually, it's not all that far-fetched when you consider it was a six and a half hour broadcast. Certainly some people watched some of it, then tuned out to something else. That person is a "unique viewer" whether they watched all six hours or just 45 minutes.

True, but there is no way in heck that a .32 (on cable no less) translates to 1.2 million unique viewers. No way. But I got a nice bridge in Brooklyn to sell to those Grand Am propogandists.

oddlycalm
06-09-05, 01:59 PM
Agreed. It's a sad commentary on the state of American road racing when .32 is worth being happy about :mad: :( Did I miss the period in history when road racing got big ratings in the US market. The only road races I've been to or watched that had anything higher than test pattern ratings was CART, and that was only for a relatively short period. I don't really count ABC occasionally running 5 minutes of Denny Hulme and Bruce McLaren circulating in CanAm cars stuck in between the barrel jumping and cliff diving... :gomer:

I don't recall seeing a minute of Formula 5000 in whatever passed for it's heyday, the USAC trail road races were never televised, and IMSA on ESPN certainly wasn't setting the bar real high. The US is a vast wasteland when it comes to professional road racing and seems destined to remain so.

oc

Michaelhatesfans
06-09-05, 05:56 PM
I don't really count ABC occasionally running 5 minutes of Denny Hulme and Bruce McLaren circulating in CanAm cars stuck in between the barrel jumping and cliff diving... :gomer:
AAAAAAGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

Bad memories, there. Cutting away from Monaco for a guy on ice skates jumping over barrels. Ye gods. :cry:

oddlycalm
06-09-05, 07:37 PM
Cutting away from Monaco for a guy on ice skates jumping over barrels. Ye gods. :cry: Exactly why I still remember it vividly 30 odd years later. :(

oc

mapguy
06-10-05, 06:31 AM
This must be a record. A Grand-Am thread, two days old, and still only one page....

Dr. Corkski
06-10-05, 06:44 AM
To end all the ALMS vs Grand-Am debates:

ALMS: Kate Shaw

Grand-Am: No Kate Shaw

Conclusion: Grand-Am wins. By default. :gomer:

mapguy
06-10-05, 06:57 AM
To end all the ALMS vs Grand-Am debates:

ALMS: Kate Shaw

Grand-Am: No Kate Shaw

Conclusion: Grand-Am wins. By default. :gomer: