PDA

View Full Version : Must See! Video of Hans Stuck at the Nurburgring!

Fio1
06-05-05, 02:20 AM
Enjoy :thumbup: : http://www.dgtalpimp.com/m3_gtr_nurburgring.wmv

A book called, Kings of the Nurburgring has just came out. It is a bio of 12 of the best drivers ever to race at the Nurburgring, but for some reason it does not include Hans Stuck. With the many races Stuck won at this amazing track, I can't believe he wasn't included. Anyways, as you can see Hans Stuck is the man at this track.

I had the pleasure of taking a lap around this track with Robert Lechner, twice winer of the 24-Hours, as part of a training course I did there in 03. The speed Lechner entered the Karussell scared the s**** out of me. When I was driving, I slowed way down, he basically accelerated in the thing and used the banking to slow down....

devilmaster
06-05-05, 02:40 AM
Enjoy :thumbup: : http://www.dgtalpimp.com/m3_gtr_nurburgring.wmv

Added to the collection..... kick ass video..... thanx. :thumbup:

Michaelhatesfans
06-05-05, 02:59 AM
WHY, WHY, OH WHY DID I HAVE TO READ THE "STOP AVOIDING THE LANGUAGE FILTER" WARNING EARLIER THIS WEEK???

That video begs for expletives! :eek:

It's funny. Sometimes you watch a race and think, "Man, I could do that..." But when I watch videos like that, I'm quite happy to sit on the couch and drink a beer! :laugh:

mexican
06-05-05, 03:33 AM
1.- sheer driving pleasure

2.- stuck is the man

3.- ¿¡&%$#@*^+!!!?

emjaya
06-05-05, 09:59 AM
It's funny. Sometimes you watch a race and think, "Man, I could do that..." But when I watch videos like that, I'm quite happy to sit on the couch and drink a beer! :laugh:

I was thinking exactly the same thing about the time he reached Flugplatz.
Makes you what it was like for Hans Stuck senior, more horsepower less brakes bigger jumps :eek:

Hot Rod Otis
06-05-05, 10:08 AM
If I may quote Frank Barone: "HOLY CRAPPING CRAP" :cool:

Sean O'Gorman
06-05-05, 10:14 AM
Yeah that video is breathtaking. There was another one floating on the Internet of that lap being compared side-by-side to a lap of the Nurburgring in the same M3 GTR in Gran Turismo 4 but it was removed due to bandwidth. :(

rosawendel
06-05-05, 12:06 PM
i just can't imagine memorizing a track that big...

Ziggy
06-05-05, 12:52 PM
That's a cool book, I have one ordered and signed by Chris Nixon. Chris writes very good books, and his efforts usually command a Franklin. This one is no different

Winston Wolfe
06-05-05, 01:28 PM
Hans Stuck is DA MAN !

The closing speeds on the slower traffic is unreal !

The fact he has the entire course "in his head" is :thumbup:

The brakes on the M3 GTR are AWESOME ! And the straight line speed seems to go on forever....

To quote Victor Marrone from Johnny Dangerously (and to keep in line with the language filter) " I can't fargin' believe how cool that was"....

Thanks, Fio.... I got that one bookmarked !

oddlycalm
06-05-05, 03:28 PM
Thanks for posting it Fio. One of my favorite drivers in one of my favorite cars on an incredible track. :thumbup:

TrueBrit
06-05-05, 04:05 PM
WOW!!!

Holy Moly that was intense!!

Can you imagine tackling that course in a tubular steel constructed formula one car with a Cosworth strapped just behind your lugholes and nothing keeping you stuck to the track but gravity??? :eek:

Yee Gods how did those old F-1 guys walk around with attachments that big??

Great video!!

Dr. Corkski
06-05-05, 04:13 PM
Video games can't comapre with this. :thumbup:

They should put those tires up at the Veedol chicane for the F1 race. :laugh:

oddlycalm
06-05-05, 04:37 PM
Yee Gods how did those old F-1 guys walk around with attachments that big?? Not to mention the skinny hard tyres and relative lack of anything approaching effective brakes. Engine technology was often well ahead of chassis technology... to put it mildly.

oc

Fio1
06-05-05, 07:31 PM

No kidding. But it gets even better. A very good road racer like Boris Said, is a good 30 seconds off Hans' pace in the same car. This is nothing against Boris, it just shows you how special this track is and how demanding it truly is. Robert Lechner told me that it took him half way through his first 24-hours before he finally figured out the last 5 or so Kilometers before the long straight.

Walter Rohl, another master of the 'ring' said, that it takes 100 laps to learn the track and another 100 to learn where the bumps are at. Before that you are still lost....

I did 25 laps in one day during the school. Towards the end I was comfortable enough to run consistent lap times (5 laps within 6 seconds), but I was still basically lost between kilometers 14 to 18. And, I had to basically talk my way around the track, kilometer by kilometer (there are big white signs listing which kilometer you are at). BTW, GT4 is pretty much right on the money just some of the jumps are more extreme in real life and there are virtually no bumps in the game. If someone is interested in going down there for a school or track day, pm me and I’ll tell you where to go. :thumbup:

JohnHKart
06-06-05, 06:09 AM
WOW!!!

Holy Moly that was intense!!

Can you imagine tackling that course in a tubular steel constructed formula one car with a Cosworth strapped just behind your lugholes and nothing keeping you stuck to the track but gravity??? :eek:

Great video!!

Exactly. I rented a Ford Focus and got to drive there in 2003. I came away with new appreciation for those F1 guys and anybody like Stuck. Oh and the Carosell is an easy flat entry....you just scrub off the speed on the banking. And another thing is, I will never drive three and half hours to go lap the ring. It demands too much concentration to show up when you are starting to get tired. I reccommend highly staying in the immediate area or at the track hotel. And yes, I almost crashed on the damned thing!!!!!

John

2DB
06-06-05, 08:29 AM
Awsome!!! To remember where he is all the time on that track, WOW! The stone chip in the windscreen was distracting. Great ride.

Kelvis

JT265
06-06-05, 09:46 AM
Full opposite lock outta the 2nd karousel! :thumbup:

Andrew Longman
06-06-05, 12:43 PM
i just can't imagine memorizing a track that big...

172 turns: 84 right, 88 left.

It's another one of those things, like cliff diving, that I wonder how you get good at before you kill yourself.

DagoFast
06-06-05, 12:52 PM
The beginning of the video lulled me into thinking it was just gonna be on the modern F1 track. When he blasted out of the gate on to the old circuit, I started to smile. :D

It was sure a sober reminder of how much this sport has lost from the days of Fangio, Moss, Clark and the rest. :eek:

So often, progress isnt. :cry:

Michaelhatesfans
06-06-05, 01:56 PM

I remember Hakkinnen got to drive one of the old Mercedes F1 cars around when he was still with McLaren. I remember him getting out saying that he never understood why the cockpits were so big in the old cars, then added, "Now I understand, because those guys must have had balls like elephants!"
:laugh:

Gnam
06-06-05, 03:35 PM
I am a better person for having seen that video. :thumbup:

rabbit
06-06-05, 04:51 PM
Words

fail

me.

:eek:

Chitowncartfreak
06-06-05, 05:37 PM
I think I need to go home and change my pants. That was scary- awesome, but scary!

RacinM3
06-06-05, 07:22 PM
Yes. That works.

Riverside
06-06-05, 11:02 PM
F'n Awesome. :thumbup:

Can't wait till Danicle does the Ring. :gomer:

Methanolandbrats
06-06-05, 11:11 PM
Can't wait till Danicle does the Ring. :gomer:
Whose ring?

JT265
06-06-05, 11:18 PM
Whose ring?

She can start with mine.

<for a small fee, of course> :D

devilmaster
06-07-05, 02:14 AM
She can start with mine.

<for a small fee, of course> :D

Wow. An upstanding John who's willing to pay even before he finds out:a) if she's charging, and b) how much......

;)

anait
06-07-05, 09:49 AM

:eek: :rofl:

That video is Amazing. :thumbup:

IlliniRacer
06-07-05, 12:26 PM

I was watching that and thinking - "I would've lost there."; "Nope. Wouldn't have made the corner." "No way I could have done THAT!"..etc.

devilmaster
06-07-05, 05:03 PM
I was watching that and thinking - "I would've lost there."; "Nope. Wouldn't have made the corner." "No way I could have done THAT!"..etc.

I was thinking i woulda been lucky to get it off the real racetrack and onto the country roads.....

Michaelhatesfans
06-07-05, 05:06 PM
As one who routinely piles up my Brabham in the initial downhill run through the esses on GPL, I salute you, Hans. :thumbup:

Andrew Longman
06-07-05, 05:08 PM
Try this.

See if you can take the full 8 minute ride without puckering once. Bet ya can't do it. :D

Michaelhatesfans
06-07-05, 08:11 PM
Try this.

See if you can take the full 8 minute ride without puckering once. Bet ya can't do it. :D
Or lifting your right foot! :laugh:

FCYTravis
06-07-05, 08:19 PM
Ringmeister :thumbup:

TorontoWorker
06-09-05, 08:22 PM
http://www.fastdrive.org
The site listed above has loads of great stuff from the ring. In fact the site listed at the beginning of this thread with the GTR3 vid most likely pimped it from here as it has been on fastdrive for quite a long time. You have to register - but it's free.