PDA

View Full Version : RHR

cameraman
06-04-05, 11:57 PM
Took so digging to find this but:

Ryan Hunter-Reay was transferred to Froedtert Memorial Lutheran Hospital where X-rays and a CT scan showed no injuries. He was expected to be released from the hospital Saturday evening.

He probably is a wee bit sore tho'

Wally
06-05-05, 12:05 AM
Rest and heal young man......... :cool:

JoeBob
06-05-05, 12:43 AM
It was also mentioned on SPEED News that test results were negative. Great news.

In other series, the last few cars that backed into walls like that left the drivers with significant back injuries.

RaceGrrl
06-05-05, 12:45 AM
Good news indeed. Watching the accident from the in-car was really scary- the few seconds after the crash when his hands just sort of relaxed on the wheel made me wonder if he'd been knocked out. Helluva hit.

Feel better soon, Ryan!

Ankf00
06-05-05, 12:47 AM
get well soon you texan emmigrant.

cameraman
06-05-05, 01:03 AM
According to Robin Miller's piece on SpeedTV RHR was knocked out by the impact.

Hunter-Reay, who led every lap in a lopsided win at this place in 2004, backed into the wall on Lap 5 and sustained a concussion after being knocked out.

racer2c
06-05-05, 01:13 AM
It was also mentioned on SPEED News that test results were negative. Great news.

In other series, the last few cars that backed into walls like that left the drivers with significant back injuries.

Up against Safer Walls at that. :shakehead

Jervis Tetch 1
06-05-05, 01:14 AM
Glad he's fine. That wouldn't be the case in a crap wagon :flame:

Dr. Corkski
06-05-05, 01:21 AM
Perhaps it's time for a futility thread to finally reach the Champ Car forum...

nrc
06-05-05, 03:47 AM
Perhaps it's time for a futility thread to finally reach the Champ Car forum...Who are you proposing a futility thread for?

Insomniac
06-05-05, 11:00 AM
I thought he may've broken a wrist when the steering wheel ripped out of his hands. I'm glad he is okay. Seeing the car back straight in wasn't good. :thumbup: to the ChampCar chassis!

Anteater
06-05-05, 12:17 PM
I was surprised that RHR didn't let go of the steering wheel when he was obviously heading for the wall--good thing he didn't break a wrist! I'm glad he's OK; that looked like a pretty hard hit.

Ankf00
06-05-05, 02:01 PM
you're disqualified from futility threads when you've won races :gomer:

Sean O'Gorman
06-05-05, 02:11 PM
Robby has won races. Foyt won in IPS. :laugh: :gomer:

devilmaster
06-05-05, 02:13 PM

RHR hasn't wasted all his rides yet..... and then started a team on a shoestring budget...... and get caught cheating with that team right off the bat....... all the while still having delusions of grandeur.......

nrc
06-05-05, 02:27 PM
That's why I asked for clarification. It seemed like a stupid suggestion on the face of it. One bad race in a row justifies that kind of comment?

RHR_Fan
06-05-05, 03:14 PM
I saw that crash happened. Scared the [crap] out of me. He skidded such a long ways. I hauled butt over to where he stopped and just started freaking out when they were taking a long time to get him out (know it was pre-cautionary). Seeing them put him on the stretcher just made me lose it. I'm glad I left turn four when I did (five minutes before Andrew brushed the wall). Don't think I could have taken seeing two of my favorites hitting the wall in one day.

~Nicole

oddlycalm
06-05-05, 03:22 PM
One bad race in a row justifies that kind of comment? :thumbup: :rofl: He shoots, he scores.

oc

Ankf00
06-05-05, 03:44 PM

rhr's won in CCWS though, wee bit of a difference ;)

Dr. Corkski
06-05-05, 04:00 PM
rhr's won in CCWS though, wee bit of a difference ;)So did Robbie. :gomer:

For the hype that he gets, RHR has been on a run of mediocrity outside of Wisconsin since last year.

Dr. Corkski
06-05-05, 04:48 PM
RHR hasn't wasted all his rides yet..... and then started a team on a shoestring budget...... and get caught cheating with that team right off the bat....... all the while still having delusions of grandeur.......If you think about it, RHR seems to be doing that backwards (no pun intended).

nrc
06-05-05, 07:42 PM
If you think about it, RHR seems to be doing that backwards (no pun intended).Ok, I've thought about it and I can't make any sense of what you're saying.

For the hype that he gets, RHR has been on a run of mediocrity outside of Wisconsin since last year.Do you suppose that if you qualify it enough "mediocrity" is synonymous with "futility?"

I really don't get it. I keep reading people mocking the "hype" around RHR and I must have just missed it. RHR came up through the ladder. He won at every level and then won twice in his first two seasons of Champ car in spite of running with two (and now three) mid-pack teams. I just haven't seen "hype" out of line with those achievements.

Ultimately he got the nod for the ride because he had backing and not because he was the best prospect out there, so from my perspective his results have exceeded my expectations. Are we going to start mocking Allmendinger this time next year if he doesn't tear off a string of wins between now and then? Have we lost all perspective on how difficult it is to excel in this series?

Lizzerd
06-05-05, 07:45 PM

Robby won while driving for Childress. His futility as a team owner is merited.

Foyt won in IPS? Please... What kind of an accomplishment is that? :saywhat:

Sean O'Gorman
06-05-05, 07:54 PM
Foyt won in IPS? Please... What kind of an accomplishment is that? :saywhat:

Hence the laugh and the gomer smileys.

For the record I don't think there should be an RHR futility thread. I think he must've stolen a woman from Cork or something. :gomer:

RTKar
06-05-05, 08:06 PM
Ha ha ha aaaaa ....Lizzerd and SOG sitting together at Cleveland.... :rofl:

RaceGrrl
06-05-05, 09:41 PM
Have we lost all perspective on how difficult it is to excel in this series?

Not all of us have, but apparently arguing for the sake of argument is more important than using logic.

Ankf00
06-05-05, 09:48 PM
So did Robbie. :gomer:

For the hype that he gets, RHR has been on a run of mediocrity outside of Wisconsin since last year.

where's your boy ranger? or any of your man-love short of the Chin? Oh right, suckin wind.

RHR_Fan
06-05-05, 10:00 PM
Heard on Speednews Ryan has a bruised lung. Get better soon Ryan!

~Nicole

Dr. Corkski
06-06-05, 02:30 AM
Ok, I've thought about it and I can't make any sense of what you're saying.ASTJ was formed on the premisis that his family would be bringing the "sponsorship" which never arrived, but essentially that was his team. He then went to Herdez on the strength of two runs and was pretty much beaten by Dominguez with the exception of a win on an oval. He was lucky that Champ Car wanted a marketable young American and got placed at Rocketsports, and now after two races with his new team wanted to get rid of him the first chance they got.

Do you suppose that if you qualify it enough "mediocrity" is synonymous with "futility?"With guys like Fogarty, Dalziel, Valiante, and Moran sitting on the sidelines and getting one chance between the four of them, and Champ Car going out of its way to keep him, yeah it is.

I really don't get it. I keep reading people mocking the "hype" around RHR and I must have just missed it. RHR came up through the ladder. He won at every level and then won twice in his first two seasons of Champ car in spite of running with two (and now three) mid-pack teams. I just haven't seen "hype" out of line with those achievements.This isn't even the only place where I have seen RHR suggested as a potential F1 driver. Champ Car obviously saw more in him since they rather pay to keep him around than to give guys who beat him a shot.

Ultimately he got the nod for the ride because he had backing and not because he was the best prospect out there, so from my perspective his results have exceeded my expectations. Are we going to start mocking Allmendinger this time next year if he doesn't tear off a string of wins between now and then? Have we lost all perspective on how difficult it is to excel in this series?Allmendinger is running as well as his highly rated teammate and essentially blew away a race winner last year.

chicanor
06-06-05, 12:50 PM
Bruno told Dick Eidswick when he visited him that if he'd been in a champ car, the injury would've never happened. those crap cars are nothing safe, at all...

Insomniac
06-06-05, 01:43 PM
Bruno told Dick Eidswick when he visited him that if he'd been in a champ car, the injury would've never happened. those crap cars are nothing safe, at all...

Not surprising. I think the RHR crash puts to end (if there was even any) any discussion about wheter the ChampCar chassis is superior when it comes to oval racing crashes to the crapwagons. Pure rear impact, RHR didn't walk away, but he will be able to race soon. Car launching and flipping, no question, ChampCars don't.

nrc
06-06-05, 02:43 PM
With guys like Fogarty, Dalziel, Valiante, and Moran sitting on the sidelines and getting one chance between the four of them, and Champ Car going out of its way to keep him, yeah it is.While we're re-defining words maybe the the injustice of it all can change "red" to "blue" and "up" to "down".

I don't know if RHR was the best candidate coming out of Atlantic that year. I'd have probably chosen Fogarty or Valiante. But there are people who argue that coming in and winning immediately as rookie carries a lot of weight. Dalziel didn't win a race in his rookie season, the same season RHR won three. Moran still hasn't won as many races as RHR did in his only year in Atlantic.

Keeping RHR in Champ car makes sense. It would be stupid to bring in a driver from the ladder series, have him prove that he can win races and then toss him aside because he hasn't gained consistancy in just two seasons. Part of the problem ladder series drivers have is that nobody is willing to give them time to live up to their potential.

Maybe RHR will become a consistant challenger and maybe he won't. This is a pivotal season for him and he's not off to a great start. But putting him in a class with Foyt IV was just a stupid remark in my estimation.

NismoZ
06-06-05, 06:11 PM
And Bourdais said Bruno wouldn't have been hurt at ALL if the rest of the ChampCar guys had a shot because AJ4 never would have qualified!

NismoZ
06-06-05, 07:32 PM
As far as speed is concerned, aren't impacts measured in terms a G forces? RHRs was 171 Gs, anyone have the figure for Bruno? I may be dreaming, but I thought I heard 199 somewhere. SAFER or not, the G force would be the key bit of info, correct?

racer2c
06-06-05, 08:38 PM
As far as speed is concerned, aren't impacts measured in terms a G forces? RHRs was 171 Gs, anyone have the figure for Bruno? I may be dreaming, but I thought I heard 199 somewhere. SAFER or not, the G force would be the key bit of info, correct?

Seems like the SAFER wall needs to be made SAFERER.

Ankf00
06-06-05, 09:08 PM
big mo I think hit the wall at 230+ g's rear first, I think it was during practice at TMS..

chop456
06-06-05, 11:08 PM
big mo I think hit the wall at 230+ g's rear first, I think it was during practice at TMS..

He had 2 big hits in the same wreck. One rear, one front.

Ankf00
06-06-05, 11:19 PM
he caromed off the T2 wall and lost all control sliding down the backstrech to eventually hit the T3/4 set with the rear end, right? I used to have news articles saved with the actual g forces from that and a couple of other wrecks from that period (evidence of HANS success at the time) but lost it with the old laptop

formulaben
06-07-05, 12:56 AM
I don't recall actual numbers, but the one impact that will NEVER leave my memory is of Mark Blundell in Brazil. It was something very close to head on (90 degrees)...it just sounded so so bad, yet somehow he was fine. It would be interesting to see a list of accidents listed by g-force.

chop456
06-07-05, 06:56 AM
he caromed off the T2 wall and lost all control sliding down the backstrech to eventually hit the T3/4 set with the rear end, right? I used to have news articles saved with the actual g forces from that and a couple of other wrecks from that period (evidence of HANS success at the time) but lost it with the old laptop

http://www.sptimes.com/News/050301/Sports/Gugelmin_has_praise_f.shtml

.....Gugelmin, who lives in Coral Gables and is the president of the Championship Driver's Association, said he experienced 66 Gs and 113 Gs during two impacts with the wall.

"That's the highest G-load ever sustained without major injury to a driver," said Gugelmin, who sustained only bruises. "So to be able to walk out of the hospital on Friday afternoon is quite remarkable.".....