PDA

View Full Version : Mixed feelings

Tim
06-04-05, 05:26 PM
For how much fun I had this weekend it doesn't take away from the fact that only 17 cars and 10-15 thousand people showed. There is no buzz in Milwaukee anymore. Heavy promotion in the county and they have nothing to show for it. Champcar should have found a way to stay at RA where the crowd was up last year. Champcar itself didn't do anything wrong. Thats what is so weird about it. I'm scared that next year I won't have any races to go to. We need something that gives people a reason to go.

trish
06-04-05, 05:37 PM
Champ Car is obviously doing something wrong. Apparently, the casual person doesn't find it compelling enough to watch.

CARTNUT
06-04-05, 05:39 PM
Well, you guys could move to California. We got the buzz here... ;)

On second thought, don't. It's too crowded here already.

RusH
06-04-05, 05:40 PM
I don`t have any races to go to right now . The pacific coast and Canada does much of the supporting of the series.
Amazing that I still watch. The irl is not an alternative, so :thumdown:

Tim
06-04-05, 05:45 PM
BTW this doesn't affect my 100% support of Champcar.

trish
06-04-05, 05:49 PM
BTW this doesn't affect my 100% support of Champcar.
You shouldn't even need to say that. But we live in perilous times.... ;)

Opposite Lock
06-04-05, 05:52 PM
Well, you guys could move to California. We got the buzz here... ;)

On second thought, don't. It's too crowded here already.

Please don't move to Chicago either.

But seriously, Sack UP, suckaz!
(not you, CARTNUT)

Sean O'Gorman
06-04-05, 06:07 PM
See, this is the kind of stuff I've been talking about when I say the problem isn't with tracks like RA and MO and Michigan, etc. If the people that have been going to these events for years are losing interest, what are the odds that events at less exciting tracks are going to make new fans out of people?

I mean, I still love Champ Car but alot of the excitement and enthusiasm is gone.

Maybe I'm just thinking this way because it has been 11 months since my last event. :laugh:

Mike Lawler
06-04-05, 06:30 PM
]For how much fun I had this weekend it doesn't take away from the fact that 10-15 thousand people showed. There is no buzz in Milwaukee anymore.

The same holds true for Portland. I bet this is the last year for them.
There is a lot of promotion for the entire G.I. Joes weekend, but understand the folks in Oregon are real strange.

Sean O'Gorman
06-04-05, 06:37 PM
but understand the folks in Oregon are real strange.

:cough: Michaelhatesfans :cough:

:D

NismoZ
06-04-05, 06:50 PM
We can never talk about Phoenix again unless Milwaukee is included in the discussion. :(

FTG
06-04-05, 06:52 PM
IMO, when Tony George decided to save open wheel oval wheel racing in America, he killed it. Let the cabs go in circles and move on.

Wally
06-04-05, 07:04 PM
We can never talk about Phoenix again unless Milwaukee is included in the discussion. :(

Speak for yourself silva......... :rolleyes:

cart7
06-04-05, 08:13 PM
Saw the race and hmmm......

I remember the day when......

:(

FRANKY
06-04-05, 08:15 PM

That was true last year with Laguna. We still talked, or should that be laughed?

RTKar
06-04-05, 10:37 PM
For how much fun I had this weekend it doesn't take away from the fact that only 17 cars and 10-15 thousand people showed. There is no buzz in Milwaukee anymore. Heavy promotion in the county and they have nothing to show for it. Champcar should have found a way to stay at RA where the crowd was up last year. Champcar itself didn't do anything wrong. Thats what is so weird about it. I'm scared that next year I won't have any races to go to. We need something that gives people a reason to go.

Throw in a timed race and what looked like a bogus NASCAR yellow with what could have been a great finish with 'dinger chasing PT and there you have it.....plus Tim drank my beer....again... :D

Methanolandbrats
06-04-05, 10:40 PM
IMO, when Tony George decided to save open wheel oval wheel racing in America, he killed it. Let the cabs go in circles and move on. This is the correct answer. Go road racing.

NismoZ
06-04-05, 11:27 PM
Wondered when someone was going to bring up that "competition yellow". Turned my stomach. I saw people shaking their heads and start walking away from the fences. I'm guessing with all the final stops completed they figured one more exciting restart wouldn't be unfair to anyone (except Tracy) but he just checked out. And Wally, thanks for remembering ol' Silva, often hated by those who couldn't face the truth or admit to a conclusion they just didn't like.

Wally
06-04-05, 11:40 PM
Wondered when someone was going to bring up that "competition yellow". Turned my stomach. I saw people shaking their heads and start walking away from the fences. I'm guessing with all the final stops completed they figured one more exciting restart wouldn't be unfair to anyone (except Tracy) but he just checked out. And Wally, thanks for remembering ol' Silva, often hated by those who couldn't face the truth or admit to a conclusion they just didn't like.

Ok kirby........... ;)

Ankf00
06-05-05, 12:50 AM
See, this is the kind of stuff I've been talking about when I say the problem isn't with tracks like RA and MO and Michigan, etc. If the people that have been going to these events for years are losing interest, what are the odds that events at less exciting tracks are going to make new fans out of people?

I mean, I still love Champ Car but alot of the excitement and enthusiasm is gone.

Maybe I'm just thinking this way because it has been 11 months since my last event. :laugh:

you're right, KK doesn't want you as a fan. so go away.

back to a pertinent point, if KK wants me as a fan, he better sure as **** get rid of that "debris yellow" ******** mickelwright was talking about. I may not have a few million to play with but my dumb plebian degree ass knows ******** when he sees it. well that or i'll spend even more time just playing guitar and hitting the pool on my own instead of spending $25 to watch a race. I paid to see a race, not some manufactured aggy bull ****

RaceGrrl
06-05-05, 12:55 AM
The yellow was BS. That really pissed me off and it's very disappointing that CCWS feels the need resort to that.

Otherwise, I enjoyed the race and was very happy with Oriol's podium. It would be nice to see NH pick him up full time. The lack of details about Bruno's injuries was surprising. ChampCar has never been afraid of owning their past relationship to Indy. I was a little surprised that they didn't mention why Junky was out- just that he was out "for a few races".

cameraman
06-05-05, 01:07 AM
The yellow was BS. That really pissed me off and it's very disappointing that CCWS feels the need resort to that.

Otherwise, I enjoyed the race and was very happy with Oriol's podium. It would be nice to see NH pick him up full time. The lack of details about Bruno's injuries was surprising. ChampCar has never been afraid of owning their past relationship to Indy. I was a little surprised that they didn't mention why Junky was out- just that he was out "for a few races".

Was I dreaming when they were talking about the 5" rod and dozen screws in his back right before they interviewed him?

Sean O'Gorman
06-05-05, 01:12 AM
you're right, KK doesn't want you as a fan. so go away.

:rolleyes:

I'm going to assume that is just the alcohol talking...

Jervis Tetch 1
06-05-05, 01:16 AM
Still, I enjoyed this race better any Crap Wagon affair.

Dr. Corkski
06-05-05, 01:17 AM

I'm going to assume that is just the alcohol talking...You're American. Even drunk guys know that, otherwise Kalkhoven wouldn't have added races in China, Korea, Edmonton, and San Jose. :gomer:

Ankf00
06-05-05, 02:59 AM

I'm going to assume that is just the alcohol talking...

it's called sarcasm

Ankf00
06-05-05, 03:01 AM
Still, I enjoyed this race better any Crap Wagon affair.

that's like saying you enjoyed watching cal lose to USC as their finest game of the year, their finest game being a loss....

nrc
06-05-05, 03:54 AM
If the intent of the yellow was to tighten up the finish it backfired. AJ would have had a better chance of catching Tracy in traffic than on a restart.

My suspicion is that it may have been intended to make sure that they didn't end up running more than originally scheduled distance once they made the timed race call.

NismoZ
06-05-05, 08:49 AM
Very perceptive, nr...and KIRBY!?...Why you little ****** ( :) )

RTKar
06-05-05, 10:00 AM
I was listening to AJ on the scanner as he tried to reel in PT.The exchange between driver and crew was exciting itself lending insite as the interval kept dropping significantly despite AJ's PP being used up.The momentum grew as Lizzerd and I looked at each other and mentioned that this could be a great finish, when I heard on the scanner, his crew tell him, "It's going to be a timed race AJ" or something to that effect. My immediate thought was TV... then the yellow came out....I was incredulous. A timed race on an oval? AJ let out an F-Bomb when the crew told him race control's decision...To make matters worse, his crew told him there were going to be 3 laps, then they told him 5, and soon changed it back to 3....Whether race control wavered on how many laps to run, I don't know.

My immediate thought was race control was trying to manufacture an exciting finish for the network. It was too coincidental. I haven't watched the tape to see what the safety crews found, if anything or where the "debri" was on the track....outside the groove or not. Seeing that golf was scheduled, "Live", 2 hours from the start of the race, I should have seen this coming.

jonovision_man
06-05-05, 10:19 AM

I don't have mixed feelings - I'm downright worried.

Montreal will have fewer grandstands than last year.

Toronto has converted some reserved bronze seating into General Admission. Not only that, they're having a "20th anniversary, 20% off" sale... why would you need less reserved seating when you have a sale that in theory should create more demand? I'm trying to be optimistic, but when the strongest races on the schedule are hitting tough times it's tough. I don't think KK & GF have yet reversed the trend that CART was suffering from.

Edmonton looks like sales going well, though, that's a bright spot. We'll see about the new races, too, hope they go well.

jono

Insomniac
06-05-05, 10:57 AM
Was I dreaming when they were talking about the 5" rod and dozen screws in his back right before they interviewed him?

Not to mention they showed the Indy footage of his wreck and talked to him on the phone.

Ziggy
06-05-05, 11:02 AM
11 months since last race and threatening to leave

guess what???????

you already have............

The race had many errors, that is the stone cold truth. The last yellow was for Glock who hit the fence down between one and two a little harder than the wanker in the white car did fifteen laps prior. (in the same place)

AJ had nothing for Paul, no stellar finish was going to happen, 'Dinger was out of tires and push to pass..... and Paul was wired for victory.

Twentyfive bucks for a seat? Did you have to bring it from home??????

Tim
06-05-05, 12:34 PM
Just remember you offered me beer. :cool:

Ziggy
06-05-05, 12:46 PM
Who Me?

RTKar
06-05-05, 12:48 PM
Just remember you offered me beer. :cool:

That's why I bring extra :cool:

oddlycalm
06-05-05, 03:20 PM
11 months since last race and threatening to leave

guess what???????

you already have............

The race had many errors, that is the stone cold truth. The last yellow was for Glock who hit the fence down between one and two a little harder than the wanker in the white car did fifteen laps prior. (in the same place)

AJ had nothing for Paul, no stellar finish was going to happen, 'Dinger was out of tires and push to pass..... and Paul was wired for victory. Good summary Zig... on all fronts.

oc

KLang
06-06-05, 10:07 AM
The last yellow was for Glock who hit the fence down between one and two a little harder than the wanker in the white car did fifteen laps prior. (in the same place)

Thanks for posting this. I don't recall the TV guys mentioning the cause of the yellow and at first blush it appeared it might be competition yellow. Glad to hear that is not the case.

Overall I enjoyed the race. I'm in the minority I think but I liked having Daly back.

Insomniac
06-06-05, 02:09 PM
Thanks for posting this. I don't recall the TV guys mentioning the cause of the yellow and at first blush it appeared it might be competition yellow. Glad to hear that is not the case.

Overall I enjoyed the race. I'm in the minority I think but I liked having Daly back.

They or maybe Neil Mickelwright mentioned debris on the track. And PT gave America his $0.02. ;)

mueber
06-06-05, 02:21 PM
It was a fun race. I wondered about the yellow myself but assumed I overlooked something.

I haven’t been to Milwaukee since my dad took me there to see a family friend race in a USAC stock car in the 60’s. I’ll be back again, hopefully on a Sunday afternoon.

jonovision_man
06-12-05, 04:18 PM
Toronto has converted some reserved bronze seating into General Admission.

I have to correct myself...

What they're doing is changing the Thunder Alley grandstand to non-assigned seating, you still have to pay to more to get into it than regular GA.

http://www.molsonindy.com/toronto/tickets.php

It used to be a bronze grandstand, now it's $10 less.

jono

losedagrooves
06-12-05, 05:29 PM
I have to correct myself...

What they're doing is changing the Thunder Alley grandstand to non-assigned seating, you still have to pay to more to get into it than regular GA.

http://www.molsonindy.com/toronto/tickets.php

It used to be a bronze grandstand, now it's $10 less.

jono

Kinda makes club thunder a bit of a rip off. 250 bucks for a g.a. seat, lunch on Sunday and 4 beer tix. ouch.
glad I'm back in sec 21, 5 dollar beers and beach volley ball.