PDA

View Full Version : Backup Software

TedN
06-04-05, 12:33 PM
I currently attempting to get a handle on regular backups of personal data on my PC. Am running Win98 SE, currently have approx 20mb of data to backup. Data includes all folders/files in MyDocuments, Outlook Express address book & messages, Internet favourites.

I want to do the following:

1.) Use CD-RW as backup medium
2.) Perform initial full data backup (20 mb)
3.) Perform subsequent differential backups on weekly basis (new files, changes in existing files)

What software do you recommend? Freeware would be nice, but am willing to pay for software that is reliable, flexible and easy to use.

Thanks in advance.

Ted

FTG
06-04-05, 03:12 PM
I back up my PC daily to an off site server over the net: encrypted. About $20 a month. I think it's worth it. If your home burns, your back up CDs will burn too.

racer2c
06-04-05, 03:12 PM
20megabytes or 20gigabytes? Heck, I've got almost a gig on my jumpdrive on my keychain.

Win XP has built in backup utilities. Also, CD burning software such as Record Now and Nero have backup utilities. I think they have automated incremental features.

Check download.com for freeware and shareware utilities. There may be automated incremental backup solutions there.

Kiwifan
06-04-05, 09:19 PM
I got a free version of Genie Soft off a PC magazine disk and was so impressed I purchased two copies, version 6 for home and office. I really like it because it's so easy to use except when I updated to the latest version it reset the update task back to 1am when the PCs are off. :o So, who checks their backups to see if they have worked? ;) I do, three weeks late!

You can have a look at their demo here. Genie-soft (http://www.genie-soft.com/)

Good luck, Rusty.

Methanolandbrats
06-04-05, 09:54 PM
Get an external harddrive and back up your computer or computers to it. Then do incrementals. The beauty of it is if the boot drive dies, you install another drive and copy the stuff back over and you're up and running. I'm setting up that system monday with some slick software.......I'll post the name then.

Joelski
06-04-05, 11:00 PM
I ghost my hard drive with Norton's imaging software and keep all my data folders on a backup HD. I then burn an occasional DVD of the most sensitive stuff and keep a copy in a fireproof safe and one locked up at work.

dando
06-18-05, 06:51 PM
Get an external harddrive and back up your computer or computers to it. Then do incrementals. The beauty of it is if the boot drive dies, you install another drive and copy the stuff back over and you're up and running. I'm setting up that system monday with some slick software.......I'll post the name then.
M&B, did you get that setup? I have a buddy looking a backup solution, and I'd like to pass the info along.

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
06-18-05, 07:40 PM
M&B, did you get that setup? I have a buddy looking a backup solution, and I'd like to pass the info along.

-KevinYup, 300mb external drive and Acronis True Image. Takes forever to do the first backup, but incrementals are pretty fast. You have to run CHkdsk f/ on your disks, because Acronis won't clone any screwed up sectors. Acrois compresses stuff 60%, so you can get lots of drives or multiple computers on the backup drive.

dando
06-18-05, 08:13 PM
Yup, 300mb external drive and Acronis True Image. Takes forever to do the first backup, but incrementals are pretty fast. You have to run CHkdsk f/ on your disks, because Acronis won't clone any screwed up sectors. Acrois compresses stuff 60%, so you can get lots of drives or multiple computers on the backup drive.
Danke. Good reviews on dat ****. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
06-18-05, 10:11 PM
Danke. Good reviews on dat ****. :thumbup:

-Kevin The neatest thing is the guy in the little computer shop I deal with says Acronis really works. Once you image your boot drive, if it fails, you just put in another drive, copy the boot drive back and you're up and running with no pain. :D

Opposite Lock
08-22-05, 08:31 PM
Anyone have any experience with Red Paw (http://www.redpawsystems.com/?p=product&item=personal)?

While lurking at a formerly favorite site, I found:
A new RHR sponsor (http://www.rocketsportsracing.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=274&Itemid=92).

Although, given the 2005 record at Rocketsports, the company's credibility may be at risk:
"Rocketsports Racing is a winning team, and Red Paw Systems is delighted to be working with them. They are real pros at what they do, and, just as each Rocketsports car needs its pit crew, every business PC needs a backup solution. Our BackupBox is the fastest, most effortless PC backup product out there. We're every PC user's pit crew," said Max Eidswick, CEO of Red Paw Systems, Inc."

Eidswick, Eidswick.... where have I heard that name before? ;)

MaxEidswick
09-02-05, 07:13 PM
I currently attempting to get a handle on regular backups of personal data on my PC. Am running Win98 SE, currently have approx 20mb of data to backup. Data includes all folders/files in MyDocuments, Outlook Express address book & messages, Internet favourites.

I want to do the following:

1.) Use CD-RW as backup medium
2.) Perform initial full data backup (20 mb)
3.) Perform subsequent differential backups on weekly basis (new files, changes in existing files)

What software do you recommend? Freeware would be nice, but am willing to pay for software that is reliable, flexible and easy to use.

Thanks in advance.

Ted

I am not sure how I ended up in this forum because I was looking for our Red Paw amonst the messages, but we do backups with our BackupBox (if you follow Champ Car, #31 with Rocketsports). go to www.RedPawSystems.com or www.RedPawz.com and take a look around or drop me an email and I can tell you all about it offline.

Regards,

Max L. Eidswick
Red Paw Systems, Inc.
max@redpawsystems.com

TravelGal
09-02-05, 07:36 PM
Hi Rookie! Welcome! You must have gotten here because Opposite Lock cited Red Paws a few posts earlier in the thread. Search function works!

The thread was originally a tech question not a Champ Car question so TedN put it in the community section. Everyone in the OffCamber community helps each other with all sorts of things. Whatever we don't know someone here probably does. :thumbup: