PDA

View Full Version : danica's honeymoon over???

trauma1
06-03-05, 03:55 PM
is the queen bee's honeymoon with the press over, here's one who see's it in a different light

Patrick competes in a racing series that has been watered down to the point of irrelevance. While beating men in such a macho domain is laudable, it should be noted somewhere—OK, here—that her accomplishment represents less of a cultural shift than a reflection of the sad state of affairs at Indy.

http://www.slate.com/id/2120160/

TKGAngel
06-03-05, 04:54 PM
But in 1994, Tony George, the president of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, announced the formation of the Indy Racing League. George wrapped himself in the flag, claiming the move was designed to promote American drivers and sponsors. In reality, it was a blatant power grab.

:thumbup: Someone in the mainstream media who calls it like it is.

And this one...

fans and sponsors burned rubber toward NASCAR.

How many title sponsors has the IRL been through in 10 years? Not to mention all the small teams that have come and gone.

Spicoli
06-03-05, 05:11 PM
FTG nbeeds to burn in hell.

JohnHKart
06-03-05, 06:11 PM
FTG nbeeds to burn in hell.

The sad thing is we open wheel fans and poor IRL drivers have been burning in hell since Jan 1996.

John

Andrew Longman
06-03-05, 07:11 PM
:thumbup: Someone in the mainstream media who calls it like it is.

Wow, Slate is being called the mainsteam media? How times have changed. Walter Cronkite they are not, but I get your point. You don't go to Slate for racing news. And looking at the ratings for network news and circulation numbers for the newpapers, Slate probably is mainstream now.

Ankf00
06-03-05, 09:20 PM
Wow, Slate is being called the mainsteam media? How times have changed. Walter Cronkite they are not, but I get your point. You don't go to Slate for racing news. And looking at the ratings for network news and circulation numbers for the newpapers, Slate probably is mainstream now.

Slate's closer to Cronkite when compared to the cable news and blogs everyone's sucking down these days,

Cam
06-03-05, 09:26 PM
Wow, Slate is being called the mainsteam media?

Slate may not be NY Times or WSJ, but any publication, print or electronic, that causes the heads of the gomerati to collectively assplode gets a big :thumbup: from me! :laugh:

Ozarkian
06-03-05, 11:13 PM
Slate may not be NY Times or WSJ, but any publication, print or electronic, that causes the heads of the gomerati to collectively assplode gets a big :thumbup: from me! :laugh:

Yep, that's a pretty good measuring stick. Lots of indignation over at TF regarding this article and several others -- how dare anyone disagree with them and the multiple Visions/evolutions!?!? Pretty funny stuff.

Insomniac
06-04-05, 11:54 AM
I think the surprising thing is for someone outside of the sport to actually write something that wasn't spoon fed to them by the IRL.

TKGAngel
06-04-05, 08:05 PM
Slate's closer to Cronkite when compared to the cable news and blogs everyone's sucking down these days,

Yeah, the stories on CNN and MSNBC get a little repetitive, since it seems like all they do is rewrite the AP wire. Slate at least brings a different side of the issue to the table.

Jag_Warrior
06-05-05, 03:23 PM
If the honeymoon is over, I just have one question. Which one of you has feminine, cursive handwriting? Meet me (with pen in hand) outside the post office. I have an idea for retirement.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2512&item=6962632727&rd=1

My reaction to this: you have got to be s####ing me!

Ankf00
06-05-05, 03:46 PM
that's what programmed laser-marking tools are for ;)

cameraman
06-05-05, 11:55 PM
Off the AP wire....

Tomorrow will be "Danica Patrick Day" in Illinois thanks to a proclamation by Governor Rod Blagojevich. ... ... Blagojevich says "Danica Patrick Day" is meant to recognize her success. He calls her a "hero" and says she has a bright future in sports car racing.

nrc
06-06-05, 12:12 AM
I guess we'll see whether there's any movement in the ratings for the next IRL race. We'll see a batch of magazine stories in a couple of months and after that it will depend on whether the magic rev limiter can actually bag her a win. I'm not sure a fourth place at Fontucky is going to capture anyone's imagation.

This just in: Patrick is a better racer than Almendinger because a handful of gomers would pay $300 bucks for her autographed diecast.

Jag_Warrior
06-06-05, 12:21 PM
Off the AP wire....

Tomorrow will be "Danica Patrick Day" in Illinois thanks to a proclamation by Governor Rod Blagojevich. ... ... Blagojevich says "Danica Patrick Day" is meant to recognize her success. He calls her a "hero" and says she has a bright future in sports car racing.

What kind of racing? :p

Jag_Warrior
06-06-05, 12:27 PM
This just in: Patrick is a better racer than Almendinger because a handful of gomers would pay $300 bucks for her autographed diecast.

I wonder what the final price was on that piece of Danica holy toast? The image of Danica in stale bread. Now there's a used tire that she's said to have signed: $250 :rolleyes:

Stupid people deserve to have their money taken. It's a Darwinian thing. If they have money, they'll go out, get drunk and make more of themselves. This is for their (our) own good.

Say, what's your hand writing look like?