PDA

View Full Version : Is there going to be an 18th car?

cameraman
06-02-05, 09:32 PM
Does Champ Car have to run 18 cars at Milwaukee?

swift
06-02-05, 09:55 PM
Does Champ Car have to run 18 cars at Milwaukee?
i have no idea if they are legally obligated. the minumum grid-size clauses were mentioned a lot in the post-1/28, post-defection days when it wasn't certain how many teams would answer the bell for the '04 season. it was reported the the amigos were renegotiating some of these contracts.

regardless of legality, it would be a PR nightmare if less than 18 took the grid. to answer your question:
champcar *has* to run 18 cars in milwaukee.
the fans and the press demand it.

theunions
06-02-05, 09:57 PM
Mark C. says the minimum at Milwaukee is actually 16, and Valiante had other commitments this weekend, so Coyne decided to simply park the second car. :shakehead

Not sure if this means Sperafico will be in the #19 or #11.

Jervis Tetch 1
06-02-05, 11:03 PM
Interesting.

FanofMario
06-02-05, 11:24 PM
Depressing in my book. :(

chop456
06-03-05, 01:07 AM
"The fans and press demand it". :laugh:

Yeah. I'm thinking about not going now. :rolleyes: Maybe if everyone spent less time whining and more time going to races.....

Dr. Corkski
06-03-05, 02:19 AM
Sperafico is on the entry list in the #19 with the AMR sponsorship. No #11 car on it last time I checked.

Michaelhatesfans
06-03-05, 03:22 AM
They should make Carl Haas drive Coyne's extra car.

FCYTravis
06-03-05, 04:09 AM

Cam
06-03-05, 05:02 AM
They should make Carl Haas drive Coyne's extra car.

Wouldn't that be worse than having IV tooling around as a moving chicane? :eek:

Andrew Longman
06-03-05, 10:49 AM
Coyne gets coin for Servia's services and he gets to keep the equipment off the wall. Nice deal. But I don't like it. 17 cars is bush and there is an opportunity to give a deserving driver a ride.

KLang
06-03-05, 10:55 AM
Haas and his indyitis :flame:

It really sucks that Coyne is paying for Haas's screwup.

sundaydriver2
06-03-05, 11:55 AM

No doubt.

DCR got the screw job this weekend.

:thumdown:

FRANKY
06-03-05, 12:09 PM
Coyne gets coin for Servia's services and he gets to keep the equipment off the wall. Nice deal. But I don't like it. 17 cars is bush and there is an opportunity to give a deserving driver a ride.

Oh please. One less car doesn't make a difference.

FRANKY
06-03-05, 12:10 PM

He's not complaining, is he?

Chief
06-03-05, 12:19 PM
This wouldn't be so bad if they just left Junky's car out instead of taking Coyne's driver and leaving that seat empty. It's leaving a bad taste, FHaas ought to set it straight ASAP in front of the cameras..... :rolleyes:

Sean O'Gorman
06-03-05, 12:22 PM
Because you know how Pacificare would be thrilled about their car being parked so that Coyne wouldn't be upset...

Racing Truth
06-03-05, 12:25 PM
Because you know how Pacificare would be thrilled about their car being parked so that Coyne wouldn't be upset...

:thumbup:

Though to be fair, Coyne's operation hasn't been teh suck it used to be.

KLang
06-03-05, 12:29 PM

That should have been Haas' problem not Coyne's. :shakehead

Ed_Severson
06-03-05, 12:53 PM
It seems to me that the easiest solution from Champ Car's perspective would have been to offer Haas two choices.

1) Find a driver not currently employed in Champ Car
2) Park the car and pay whatever performance clause penalties Champ Car accrues.

On the other hand, I can't blame Haas for cherry-picking a driver from another team, particularly if that other team owner wasn't bright enough to have signed that driver to a contract.

As for the idea that the Newman-Haas car should have ended up parked instead of Coyne's ... the trouble there is that we end up with one less car on the grid that's competitive. Granted, Servia has done reasonably well for Coyne, but do you really think he won't be faster with Newman-Haas?

nrc
06-03-05, 12:59 PM
Question. Does Oriol even have a firm contract with Coyne or is he on a race by race basis?

KLang
06-03-05, 01:02 PM
IMO the way this played out Servia probably has a contract with Champ Car rather then Coyne, similar to RHR.

Ed_Severson
06-03-05, 01:15 PM
Question. Does Oriol even have a firm contract with Coyne or is he on a race by race basis?

Motorsport.com (http://motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=187089&FS=CHAMPCAR) says Servia was not contracted to Coyne.

G.
06-03-05, 01:44 PM
Motorsport.com (http://motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=187089&FS=CHAMPCAR) says Servia was not contracted to Coyne.from the MoSport report,
Representatives from Honda and sponsor PacifiCare also stopped by and watched as Junqueira stood for the first time since Sunday's accident. OK, that's icky.

"Hey, I just had major surgery for a broken back . I'm gonna try and stand up. May not work. It's gonna hurt like I'm trying to dodge the language filter and I may scream like a little girl, but hey, come on by and watch."

Also, Honda?

I gotta go tighten up the ol' tinfoil hat...

Hard Driver
06-03-05, 01:45 PM
Come on,

There has to be a sub driver somewhere, not in the series. Someone wanting to step up. What is Danica up to?

NismoZ
06-03-05, 02:04 PM
Right, blame Haas, not Foyt. I wouldn't have cracked up my dad's Corsa back in '66 either if Mom hadn't married the guy! Mom's fault!

KLang
06-03-05, 02:21 PM
Right, blame Haas, not Foyt. I wouldn't have cracked up my dad's Corsa back in '66 either if Mom hadn't married the guy! Mom's fault!

Haas should have never entered two cars in a race run by a series owned by someone trying to kill off ChampCar. :mad:

Insomniac
06-03-05, 04:07 PM

Haas risked both his driver's chance for the championship for one-offs. He has to decide what he is paying his drivers to do. Win a championship or the Indy 500. Why do you think Forsythe woouldn't let PT drive in NASCAR for one race?

theunions
06-03-05, 04:10 PM
I can assure you that at the very least, there WERE some Atlantic vets interested in and in conversation with Dale about the still-vacant Coyne seat for this weekend.

Tim
06-03-05, 06:47 PM
I saw Haberfeld in there pits all day.

Andrew Longman
06-03-05, 07:04 PM
Oh please. One less car doesn't make a difference.

This series used to run 26 cars. Their competitor runs about 22. 18 is what they are contractually obligated for at most tracks. A number I'm sure dreamed up at a time when even getting close to it was highly hypothetical.

At some point the car count, 18 or 17 or 33 isn't just a number. The equipment exists with the existing teams, the drivers are willing, PUT THEM OUT THERE FOR THE FANS. Especially on a short oval where you need all the jam cars you can.

FanofMario
06-03-05, 11:15 PM
You can spin it all you want, but the fact is that this 17 car deal is a fiasco. The Amigos need to convince Coyne and anybody else to get more cars into the field. Our series needs something positive, dwelling on the fact that we are short handed does nothing let alone lend itself to creditability. We need a full field for our oval race. :mad:

Jayblues
06-04-05, 12:06 AM
Motorsport.com (http://motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=187089&FS=CHAMPCAR) says Servia was not contracted to Coyne.

KK "assists" Coyne with Servias' entry so i guess his butt belongs to Champ Car. It is disapointing not to see another guy jump in somewhere to keep the numbers at 18.

Paintergeek
06-04-05, 12:14 AM
KK "assists" Coyne with Servias' entry so i guess his butt belongs to Champ Car. It is disapointing not to see another guy jump in somewhere to keep the numbers at 18.

Would there have been enough time between Junky getting shattered and teams leaving for milwaukee to get an 'extra' car safe to field on the Mile? :confused:

Insomniac
06-04-05, 11:52 AM
And who pays the bills when the car is wrecked? If it were as simple as that, teams with back-up cars would just add another driver.