PDA

View Full Version : Flying EARL sled on magazine cover

Anteater
06-01-05, 09:42 PM
http://www.machinedesign.com/images/OtherContent/051905cover.jpg

And you can read all about it here, and even comment on the article.
http://www.machinedesign.com/ASP/viewSelectedArticle.asp?strArticleId=58507&strSite=MDSite&Screen=CURRENTISSUE&CatID=3

Dr. Corkski
06-01-05, 09:44 PM
Tony Renna's the other car in the pic! :eek:

Insomniac
06-01-05, 10:10 PM
From the article:

The tamperproof limiters track the number of excursions above 10,300 rpm then signal a cut to 9,500 rpm for a period of time. "The penalty is generally not enough to cost a race but does put a significant dent in performance," explains GM Racing Track Support Manager, Nick Lester, whose expertise is in engine-electronic controls. His job is helping teams that run Chevy engines get the most from them. "Teams try to avoid the limit at all costs but get as close as possible."

I remember some time back, when Hornish was with Panther, you could always hear him hit the rev limiter, but I never saw the car lose any power. Kind of odd.

Ankf00
06-01-05, 11:22 PM
half of that article pissed me off , sent a nice long "reply" when I read it last week...

Machine Design has had a few stories on the IRL over the past 8 years which I deemed more bull honkey than quality engineering news... then again SAE's Automotive Engineering International has almost as much GM gomerness to it too...

Gnam
06-02-05, 02:18 AM
The headline on the front of the mag is deceiving. Brack and Renna's "flights" are attributed to too much horsepower. Then the article goes on and on about EARL engines. No mention of the cars aero problems or the list of broken backs. weak.

FCYTravis
06-02-05, 04:14 AM
Too much horsepower????? :saywhat:

You gotta be kidding me.

oddlycalm
06-02-05, 01:51 PM
half of that article pissed me off , sent a nice long "reply" when I read it last week... Indeed, most of it's pure rubbish. They don't address the issues of the front wing and CG/rear weight bias, which would have made a good article. Instead they wank on about too much power. :saywhat:

Machine Design has always been barely a step above Popular Mechanics when it comes to in depth technical articles, and most of what they print are industry sponsored fluff pieces. :thumdown:

oc

eiregosod
06-02-05, 02:12 PM
From the article:

I remember some time back, when Hornish was with Panther, you could always hear him hit the rev limiter, but I never saw the car lose any power. Kind of odd.

I believe there was a soft-rev limiter that the teams would add so that the engine wouldn't hit the league's mandated hard rev-limit. I believe that when the hard rev limiter kicked in that it chocked the ignition thus dropping the HP