PDA

View Full Version : Food at racetrack question - hoping for good responses

devilmaster
05-31-05, 03:59 PM
Hey everyone,

As some may know, I've been working on something here, and an idea has popped up that needs some research, so I turn to the best...... Yes, i really mean you guys ;)

Anyways, I am looking for foods that are synonimous with a racetrack. Like foods that go hand in hand with a city (philly cheese steak, cincy chili, etc), I know of a few tracks that have that food that you just naturally associate with that track.

So the experts out there (yes I mean you guys), what are the signature foods and what track are they at? (and this isn't just a champcar thing - if you've been to an f1 race or nascar track and such, add that too)

Hoping to get alot of responses for this....

Dr. Corkski
05-31-05, 04:05 PM
Tenderloins? :gomer: :laugh:

You can never go wrong with the tri-tip sandwich at Laguna. :thumbup:

KLang
Road America - Brats, corn on the cob, eggers.

Edit: plus my personal favorite: Pork chop sandwich and fries at the stand overlooking turn 7.

KaBoom21
Road America - Brat on a Stick, RFG Potatoes

Turn7
05-31-05, 04:21 PM
RA and eggers.

JoeBob
05-31-05, 04:30 PM
Pretty much anything from Road America, really.

Depending on the clientele, you might also consider chicken buckets. ;)

Sean O'Gorman
05-31-05, 06:46 PM
Ask any club racer in the SE about 100 MPH Chili and VIR.

CARTNUT
05-31-05, 08:17 PM
Long Beach: King Taco Carnitas Burrito!

and a blast from the past - Fontuckey: Back Bacon on the grill courtesy of Playersfan! That was so good it should have been illegal! (Oh, I think it was.)

'NUT :gomer:

RTKar
05-31-05, 09:21 PM
China and Korea....probably cat.

Spicoli
05-31-05, 10:32 PM
Mid O = Dominos off the golf kart. :D gotta like food that comes to YOU.

Sean O'Gorman
05-31-05, 10:39 PM
Mid O = Dominos off the golf kart. :D gotta like food that comes to YOU.

I was waiting for someone to say that, but I was expecting them (esp. Napoleon) to mention Newman. :D

Ankf00
05-31-05, 10:44 PM
poutine :D

Michaelhatesfans
05-31-05, 10:53 PM
Portland has a bit of everything, but nothing really jumps out as representative of the area. You'll usually see me at the Yakisoba noodle/Bento booth on Saturday, though. :cool:

Classic Apex
05-31-05, 11:06 PM
China and Korea....probably cat.

:D

fourrunner
05-31-05, 11:39 PM
Soft Pretzels with Mustard ( Preferably Guldens)

Warm is best, but room temp is ok too!

Always a winner ! :thumbup:

Ankf00
05-31-05, 11:42 PM
and here I thought it was fried dog :saywhat: better to eat cat though, dogs are cooler :D

nrc
05-31-05, 11:42 PM
One of my favorite things at Cleveland was a stand that had grilled pork chop sammiches. Very tasty. But the pork chops had bones in them! I nearly broke a tooth. Whoever heard of a sandwich with bones in it? :confused:

peelo
05-31-05, 11:45 PM
Long Beach: King Taco Carnitas Burrito!

and a blast from the past - Fontuckey: Back Bacon on the grill courtesy of Playersfan! That was so good it should have been illegal! (Oh, I think it was.)

'NUT :gomer:

Agreed about King Taco. I never, ever go there any other time but I always hit the trailer on race weekend. I actually preferred the breakfast burritos to the lunch fare.

FUN-TANA? I just keep going back to the ten dollar Bloody Marys. No idea why.

I know what you mean about grilling meat at the track. My fondest memory of that nature comes from the LBGP RV area, circa 1990. It was my first taste of tri-tip ever. Mmmmmmmmm!

Does NEAR the track count? If so, ask Anaya about that breakfast place in Guasti out by Cal Speedway. Wowza. :eek:

Methanolandbrats
05-31-05, 11:51 PM
China and Korea....probably cat. Nope, Dog Kabobs. And I'm not kidding.

devilmaster
05-31-05, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the replies so far, keep em coming! :thumbup:

Lizzerd
06-01-05, 12:43 AM
There are a couple trailers on Georgetown road for the IMS races that sell turkey legs. I bought one a few years ago and it wasn't bad. Be hungry if you buy one, though, and put your caveman mask on while you eat it.

chop456
06-01-05, 01:35 AM
Road America - RFG Potatoes

Now "RGP" Potatoes, thanks to the P.C. police. :rolleyes:

As JoeBob said - anything at Road America.

I'm also partial to the Hurry Downs pork chop sammich. I prefer the Lion's Club sausage egger over the others, and their corn, too. The BBQ chicken sandwich plate from the Gear Box is good, and is still $5, AFAIK.

No other track compares. :thumbup:

pfc_m_drake
06-01-05, 02:47 AM
Nazareth had Philly Cheese steak sandwiches that were fantastic.

I never bought anything from them, but in Toronto they usually had something called 'The World's largest traveling BBQ Grill' - or something to that effect. It was basically a trailer (from a tractor-trailer) turned into one large grill. It always looked pretty cool, at any rate.

That's about all that strikes me at the moment - but I'll also plug the pizza off the golf cart at M-O. It's a great visual, if nothing else. Come to think of it, M-O seemed to have some of the best variety (and best price deals) of any place that I'd ever been.

cart7
06-01-05, 05:40 AM
I remember that Gateway had the StL tradition of toasted ravioli. Yeech.

Warlock!
06-01-05, 06:57 AM
Um... beer???

Never been one to enjoy track food that much, as the barley and hops take precedence.

Fitti Fan
06-01-05, 10:51 AM
Tenderloins? :gomer: :laugh:

You can never go wrong with the tri-tip sandwich at Laguna. :thumbup:

The tri-tips were great.

One year they had deep-fried artichoke hearts. Oh yum!!! :)

Turn7
06-01-05, 11:23 AM
Monterrey has notiriaty for its inner-cleansing effects from the tap water on hand. :thumbup:

RTKar
06-01-05, 06:54 PM
Besides "Puff on a stick"....The apple pie ala mode at RA is great,the brats (of course) and German potato salad. I remember a couple years when they had a health outfit checking cholesterol... :saywhat:... Below the hill outside t-5, there's a stand with good popcorn too. At Milwaukee I like Millies Italian sausage.

Napoleon
06-01-05, 07:02 PM
I was waiting for someone to say that, but I was expecting them (esp. Napoleon) to mention Newman. :D

Funny, I was just checking in for the first time since last night and was reviewing this thread in reverse and almost mentioned him in response to PFC below.

I have never had them but MO has the McTruman, there version of the McMuffin.

Anteater
06-01-05, 09:20 PM
There was a Brazilian Barbecue stand at Laguna Seca that had delicious food; I'll miss them this year.

I found a barbecued-pork sandwich booth at Portland last year--it was quite tasty, but I'll have to check out that yakisoba booth for sure!

Lizzerd
06-01-05, 09:32 PM
...but I'll have to check out that yakisoba booth for sure!

What in the heck is a yakisoba? You left coasters eat strange stuff. :D

Just let me have some meat and taters and I'm happy.

Ankf00
06-01-05, 10:33 PM
I see a lack of love for the poutine. :p

anait
06-02-05, 10:04 AM
^^^ Closet French-Cdn cuisine lover, Ank?? :D

The only 'regional' track food I tried was in Vancouver in '99 - mr anait and I had beaver tails. And they should really rename them, somehow... :o And in Toronto last year, all I had at the track was water, water, water, flax seed, water, more water, an avocado (thanks Boogie for offering me your pocket knife :thumbup: ), water, and water.

Beer was good in the evenings. :cool:

oddlycalm
06-02-05, 01:26 PM
I found a barbecued-pork sandwich booth at Portland last year--it was quite tasty Yep, Outlaw BBQ. They also have the unique (in my experience) pullled pork over short grain sticky rice that's way good. :thumbup:

While I always like BBQ, my favorite would be the grilled tri-tip at Laguna Seca. Santa Maria style grilled tri-tip is hard to beat whether you're at the track or not.

oc

Michaelhatesfans
06-02-05, 01:39 PM
Yep, Outlaw BBQ. They also have the unique (in my experience) pullled pork over short grain sticky rice that's way good. :thumbup:
I was going to mention that stand, but I was worried that I'd start up the BBQ vs. Grilling debate again. :laugh:

Michaelhatesfans
06-02-05, 01:40 PM
I see a lack of love for the poutine. :p
The Prime Minister?

:cool:

eiregosod
06-02-05, 01:54 PM
underestimate the role of food in American society at your peril

Ankf00
06-02-05, 07:16 PM
^^^ Closet French-Cdn cuisine lover, Ank?? :D

oh you know it :D french canuckistanis rock the casbah. aside from the whole pretending not to understand my s***** french request for 2 beers thing... bastards :mad:

Dougrun
06-02-05, 07:56 PM
Long beach is all about King Taco at the track with tecate, and the Yardhouse afterwards.
Laguna did good tri-tip and a nice breakfast burrito too.
RA is all about the brats baby!
Portland had some great BBQ and had some nice ribs there off-track.
Vegas ran out of food so they suck ass.
I'l report on denver and san jose later..

oddlycalm
06-04-05, 01:58 PM
What in the heck is a yakisoba? Stir fried buckwheat noodles, usually with some sweet soy based sauce and often with grilled chicken tossed in.

oc

Ankf00
06-04-05, 02:19 PM
I found a barbecued-pork sandwich booth at Portland last year

*drool*

did the brasilian joint have fried yucca? I love that stuff...

steve, go with the fried yucca =D

Dr. Corkski
06-04-05, 02:23 PM
Laguna did good tri-tip and a nice breakfast burrito too.
RA is all about the brats baby!They still do.

Classic Apex
06-05-05, 09:44 PM
The "steak tacos" at The Mile were very very good.

Even at 9:00 AM on Saturday morning.

:saywhat:

Ankf00
06-05-05, 09:50 PM
The "steak tacos" at The Mile were very very good.

Even at 9:00 AM on Saturday morning.

:saywhat:

waddup drunkie :D sounds like 4 hours of alcholic nap-sleep to me :D

Michaelhatesfans
06-09-05, 06:02 PM
I just remembered something. I don't know if it's unique to Portland or not, but the food vendors like to set out big ice buckets full of Pepsi, so as you're paying you just grab the drink that you want. I think the idea is that while they grab your food and count your change, you fish around and find the drink that you want. Efficient, right?

Yeah, well, that's until you realize that your soft drink is chilling in a mixture of 1/3 ice, 1/3 water, and 1/3 sunblock, from the hundreds of other people who stuck their hands in there. You get a bottle that's like trying to hold onto a water weenie, and are treated to the taste of Hawaiian Tropic as you try to keep yourself cool.... :thumdown: