PDA

View Full Version : Medical Update on Bruno Junquiera

RaceChic
05-30-05, 04:58 PM
by Kathi Lauterbach
Director of PR, Newman/Haas Racing

Medical update on Bruno Junqueira:

Bruno Junqueira is in fair condition following successful surgery on his fractured T-12 and L-1 vertabras on Monday. Dr. Terry Trammell, who completed the four-hour surgery on Junqueira at approximately 11:30 a.m. CST today, said the 28-year-old Brazilian suffered no additional spinal injuries and will remain hospitalized until the end of the week.

Junqueira was visited by many of his fellow drivers following the surgery. He is expected to sit up tonight and stand tomorrow.

Opposite Lock
05-30-05, 05:08 PM
Best Wishes for Bruno!

Mike Kellner
05-30-05, 05:09 PM
Well, that is one bright spot in an otherwise horrid weekend.

mk

RaceChic
05-30-05, 05:12 PM
I think I should have put this in the Champ Car section.

Sorry. :gomer:

rabbit
05-30-05, 06:13 PM
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/17241/

The Brazilian, who has no recolletion whatsoever of the accident or his time on-track at Indy, currently leads the CCWS’s standings with 59 points. He should be released from the Methodist Hospital by the end of this week.

KobySon
05-30-05, 09:24 PM
rm from champcar.com (http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=9044)

team news, if it wasn't posted before (http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=9046)

Chitowncartfreak
05-30-05, 09:59 PM
Good news - get well Bruno. We'll miss you. What a horrifying crash that was! When I saw the replay, it reminded me of Danny Ongais' crash at Indy in 1981 when his car turned right into the wall.

Also, I'd like to say get well to Larry Foyt as well. Although I'm irritated with AJIV right now, I do feel bad for Larry. I was surprised to hear that his impact chipped one of his vertebre. Too many drivers have been getting hurt lately - it's a shame.

Jervis Tetch 1
05-30-05, 11:00 PM
Also, I'd like to say get well to Larry Foyt as well. Although I'm irritated with AJIV right now, I do feel bad for Larry. I was surprised to hear that his impact chipped one of his vertebre. Too many drivers have been getting hurt lately - it's a shame.Well it's no surprise with those effing crap wagons they use.

It's too bad Jim Murray's not alive for this. He really could have used "Gentlemen, start your coffins" again.

JoeBob
05-31-05, 01:17 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_2768691

Bruno Junqueira, who was involved in the worst of seven accidents in Sunday's Indianapolis 500, came out of successful back surgery Monday but could miss the rest of the Champ Car World Series season.

"He came out of surgery and was awake and alert," Kathi Lauterbach, spokesman for Newman/Haas Racing, said from Methodist Hospital. "It went very well and there is no paralysis."

Junqueira, a two-time winner at the Grand Prix of Denver, suffered a "fracture/dislocation from the T-12 vertebrae through the L-1 vertebrae without spinal-cord injury," Lauterbach said.

She said doctors used two rods and 10 screws to repair damage caused by a hard backward hit into the turn two wall after Junqueira, running sixth, was clipped by the lapped car of A.J. Foyt IV. The accident on lap 77 knocked Junqueira unconscious and totaled his car, sponsored by Centrix Financial of Centennial.

Junqueira is expected to remain hospitalized through the week.

"They think he'll be able to begin rehab pretty quick," Lauterbach said. "(Racing again) hasn't been discussed. They're going to sit him up (Monday night) and stand him up (today). It all depends on how that goes."

The fourth Grand Prix of Denver is Aug. 12-14. Junqueira won the 2002 race while with Chip Ganassi Racing and in 2003 for Newman/Haas. He finished third last year behind runner-up Paul Tracy and Newman/Haas teammate Sebastien Bourdais.

Larry Foyt is expected to be released from the hospital today after being fitted with a back brace. He slammed into the wall on lap 14 and had a chip fracture in his lower spine.

Insomniac
06-01-05, 11:58 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_2768691

All these broken backs are insane. I had my neck broken at C5-C6, two hairline fractures that required no surgery, no halo, only a cervical-thorasic orthopedic shell for 3 months, yet I had an incomplete spinal cord injury. All these people are so lucky they are still able to walk. I can't believe broken back after broken back people keep climbing back into the car. I know accidents/death are part of the sport, but these just scream there is a problem and high chance of a broken back. I don't know what would make a high potential for paralysis something a person would willingly do.

lone_groover
06-01-05, 12:11 PM
I broke my L3 into 3 pieces in June of 1990 and the pain the first few weeks was very intense - VERY! Took almost a year before I felt normal.

DID YOU KNOW: Percocet makes you severely consitipated.

:eek:

Wheel-Nut
06-01-05, 12:25 PM
I bet during those moments you were finding out you were constipated you weren't worried about your back!!