PDA

View Full Version : Champ Car/IRL Shared Races

TedN
05-30-05, 12:42 PM
Local sports radio station FAN 590 (http://www.fan590.com/)reporting today that "according to our sources", the 2 organizations are close to an joint agreement for shared participation in 6 venues for 2006:

Long Beach
Indy 500
Toronto
Mexico
Chicago
Dallas

No other details yet.

Ted

devilmaster
05-30-05, 12:53 PM
Local sports radio station FAN 590 (http://www.fan590.com/)reporting today that "according to our sources", the 2 organizations are close to an joint agreement for shared participation in 6 venues for 2006:

Long Beach
Indy 500
Toronto
Mexico
Chicago
Dallas

No other details yet.

Ted

huh? :confused:

First off, 2006 means everyone is still using the current equipment, no?

2nd, whats dallas? TMS?

I don't have sources, 590 probably does - but this sounds stupid....

nrc
05-30-05, 12:54 PM
2006? Initially my thought was that there's no way they could do that because of equipment. I sure don't want to see Champ car running crapwagons and it doesn't make sense for teams to buy new equipment for one year anyway.

The only option would be to run separate classes or try to equalize them somehow.

As much as I would hate to see Champ car running in fish bowls there is some logic to it. Chicago and Dallas are markets that Champ car wants and doesn't currently have.

devilmaster
05-30-05, 01:05 PM
Just listened to the fan 590 myself....

Nothing more on it beyond the news Ted passed off....

They say officials met in New york a couple times over the past week

You can listen to fan 590 online....

www.fan590.com

Racing Truth
05-30-05, 01:06 PM

Long Beach
Indy 500
Toronto
Mexico
Chicago
Dallas

No other details yet.

Ted

Dallas?

If so, the delayed engine announcement makes sense.

I hope its true. :cool:

Michaelhatesfans
05-30-05, 01:11 PM
No, it's true, they've got a good source for this story.

http://doctorpegamento.8k.com/Cheech__Chong_4.jpg

Jag_Warrior
05-30-05, 01:34 PM

:thumbup: :rofl:

devilmaster
05-30-05, 01:42 PM
Fan590 now says its a 'preliminary agreement'

Racing Truth
05-30-05, 01:48 PM
Fan590 now says its a 'preliminary agreement'

Well, I've been listening for 40 mins., and they've said 'bout 3 different things.

Racing Truth
05-30-05, 02:05 PM
"Cost containment is paramount."

No **** Sherlocks. :shakehead

It took these morons 10 yrs. to realize this? :gomer:

Racing Truth
05-30-05, 02:10 PM
:blog

BTW: This host on the station is hard to stomach.

devilmaster
05-30-05, 02:13 PM

BTW: This host on the station is hard to stomach.

:laugh:

Ya know, I was looking at another site and I was going to come online here to type the exact same thing.....

Racing Truth
05-30-05, 02:15 PM
I turned it off when I heard the "Rapid ejaculation" add. :laugh:

Seems serious though folks.

devilmaster
05-30-05, 02:18 PM

Yep, doubt there is more (if there is anymore) info till 3 pm

pferrf1
05-30-05, 02:30 PM
Maybe this is what KK means in this:

http://www.champcarfanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25953

jonovision_man
05-30-05, 02:54 PM

How so?

jono

Jervis Tetch 1
05-30-05, 02:55 PM
How so?

jonoDitto, ditto.

Racing Truth
05-30-05, 03:02 PM
How so?

jono

Well, I've now read your post on TF regarding 590, so I will have to backpedal some.

The 2:00 report just seemed pretty thorough to me.

jonovision_man
05-30-05, 03:13 PM
Well, I've now read your post on TF regarding 590, so I will have to backpedal some.

The 2:00 report just seemed pretty thorough to me.

I wouldn't say with 100% certainty they're wrong. :) I just know they've had some dubious rumours in the past. Like during the NHL lockout, they kept reporting a deal close when it wasn't, then that the season was cancelled before it actually was, those kinds of things.

jono

SurfaceUnits
05-30-05, 03:26 PM
Well, hot doggies, if the PUsh--to-PAss buttons don't get superglued tight on for this, they never will.

RaceGrrl
05-30-05, 03:31 PM
Bottom line for me is that if they are driving crapwagons, I ain't watching or spending one cent to go to go to one of the 'shared' races. CCWS better think long and hard about this one...

Sean O'Gorman
05-30-05, 03:33 PM
CCWS better think long and hard about this one...

A good start for them would be to think about just how few people share your opinion.

I hate crapwagons, but I want to see real progress made towards having one series.

RTKar
05-30-05, 03:34 PM
Why wouldn't Milwaukee be on that list?

FTG
05-30-05, 03:37 PM
RE equipment. I believe Honda still has a bunch of Lolas and they have been firing up their old turbos if you believe the rumors. Toyota and Chevy earl teams gone. Everybody is happy. But, if my theory is correct, no crapwagons at the 500.

Ed_Severson
05-30-05, 03:47 PM

Probably because they'd be losing an event, while none of the facilities on the list would.

RaceGrrl
05-30-05, 04:00 PM
A good start for them would be to think about just how few people share your opinion.

I hate crapwagons, but I want to see real progress made towards having one series.

Maybe so, but I spend money going to Champ Car races, lots of it. They might care about that more, rather than the opinion of an underemployed college student who spends a little money going to his ONE local CC event. It's not personal, SeanO, it's just financial reality. If they keep ChampCars, I spend cash to go to the events and I support their sponsors. If they don't, they get nothing.

Mike Kellner
05-30-05, 04:05 PM
Does anyone know; are both sides going to bring their own equipment, or has CCWS grabbed their ankles and agreed to use CrapWagons?

If it is CrapWagons, once again our leaders have lost when they held a winning hand. Just saving Tony when his series in in failure mode, is an act of monumental stupidity, but agreeing to put our drivers in unsafe cars that have broken a dozen driver's backs is near criminal.

I hope this is untrue. If it is true, I really hope they were not stupid enough to agree to put our drivers in Formula N***S*** cars.

mk

Sean O'Gorman
05-30-05, 04:07 PM
They might care about that more, rather than the opinion of an underemployed college student who spends a little money going to his ONE local CC event.

Oh, you mean that same underemployed college student who has driven 12 hours to a Champ Car race in the past, and would've done it again in a heartbeat if that race was still on the schedule? That weekend wasn't cheap, but I did it because everyone talked like there would be no series the next year. Or what about the one who gave away 8 freebies to the '03 Cleveland GP to people he thought he might be able to recruit into fans? I'll do it again this year with a new group of potential fans if I can get access to extra tickets. Or the one who sets aside his disagreements with the sport whenever he has the opportunity to plug the series at school or work? Y'all may think I'm a hater here, but ask anyone that knows me in real life and they'll say I'm a definite Champ Car fanboy. :)

nrc
05-30-05, 04:17 PM
Does anyone know; are both sides going to bring their own equipment, or has CCWS grabbed their ankles and agreed to use CrapWagons?I seriously doubt that Champ car would agree to run Crapwagons next year. They can't expect their underfunded teams to buy new chasis just to share half a dozen races for one year.

I'm more interested in the plan for achieving a shared spec in the future. That will be what determines the quality of the series going forward.

As for Milwaukee, does Champ car have a contract for next year? I wouldn't be surprised if Champ car giving up Milwaukee was part of the deal.

Assuming that there's any fire behind this smoke, of course.

ChampCar#3
05-30-05, 04:25 PM
The Fan590 got this info from Sarah Bowen (sp) who was reporting today from Indy!. She's totally incompetent and will read whatever is placed in front of her.

Fred Nation must be howling with laughter!!!!!

coolhand
05-30-05, 04:42 PM
MarkC is already on it and has some other added info.

TorontoWorker
05-30-05, 04:51 PM
The Fan590 got this info from Sarah Bowen (sp) who was reporting today from Indy!. She's totally incompetent and will read whatever is placed in front of her.

Guess they had to find a way to pay for the hotel bills and food!

It's the annual "day after Indy, lunch bag let down, what the heck are we going to do for the rest of the year, while OWRS gets all the press and fans in the seats". Hey I know, lets spread doom and gloom!

This whole Fan 590 report:from a crappy little all sports station dieing on the vine because of a lack of hockey to report on - can come up with such a scoop? Shake head mode. Sounds like Earl getting scared of the coming storm clouds such as Yoda and three or four teams going under after Indy...

theunions
05-30-05, 04:59 PM

And/or MIS or Fontana?

theunions
05-30-05, 05:01 PM

Maybe that's why he got paid to appear at the 500 Festival Parade Saturday... :gomer:

Racing Truth
05-30-05, 05:09 PM
:gomer:
MarkC is already on it and has some other added info.

Ah well, it was a nice thought.

coolhand
05-30-05, 05:09 PM
:gomer:

Ah well, it was a nice thought.

It put it in the "Rumor" status if he picked it up.

Racing Truth
05-30-05, 05:12 PM
It put it in the "Rumor" status if he picked it up.

See, I put it the bull**** status if that idiot picks it up. ;)

coolhand
05-30-05, 05:20 PM
I am surprised you guys are so quick to write this one off. but oh well we will see

RTKar
05-30-05, 05:21 PM
Probably because they'd be losing an event, while none of the facilities on the list would.

Good point...but TG covets the CC date and the race immediately after indy would be a huge success. The possibility of temporary stands and a solid 3 day event could very well make up for the lost date.

Racing Truth
05-30-05, 05:22 PM
I am surprised you guys are so quick to write this one off. but oh well we will see

Well, I'm not really. I'm just writing off Mark C.'s "accuracy." :p

RTKar
05-30-05, 05:26 PM
hmmm....but aren't we supposed to agree and support everything KK does because he's a self made bazzilionare and he knows better than us what Champcar should be?

coolhand
05-30-05, 05:27 PM
hmmm....but aren't we supposed to agree and support everything KK does because he's a self made bazzilionare and he knows better than us what Champcar should be?

that what people say when the loose an argument :gomer:

Mike Kellner
05-30-05, 05:30 PM
I am not writing it off. I am afraid it is true. For the most part, in the last ten years, you can predict what our series will do next by asking your self, what is the thing we can do that will help Tony and hurt ourselves the most. I am really worried that we will revert to form, and pull a Danica just when victory seems within our grasp.

I can just hear it now from the easily duped, "Just think of all the publicity Little Saint Patrick will bring to our series." Then when it is the Danica GP in memory of Long Beach, and ChampCar is not mentioned once in the whole TV show, as they keep referring to it as an IndyCar race, the same people will wonder why it went down that way.

Well, I don't need to get screwed again to know what will happen. I suggest an alternate plan, like trying to get Honda and Toyota to come back and do some real racing, and then pull the plug on the CrapMotor program at Cosworth.

mk

The IRL: Breaking our backs to make Tony feel important.

RTKar
05-30-05, 05:39 PM
I've maintained that CC should bargain only when it has the upper hand and that time seems so close to me but not quite there yet.

Shadow
05-30-05, 10:34 PM

Fred Nation must be howling with laughter!!!!!

You got it. Someone fed her some info that was several months old and it was a plan that was stillborn.

L1P1
05-30-05, 10:50 PM
I am not writing it off. I am afraid it is true. For the most part, in the last ten years, you can predict what our series will do next by asking your self, what is the thing we can do that will help Tony and hurt ourselves the most. I am really worried that we will revert to form, and pull a Danica just when victory seems within our grasp.

I can just hear it now from the easily duped, "Just think of all the publicity Little Saint Patrick will bring to our series." Then when it is the Danica GP in memory of Long Beach, and ChampCar is not mentioned once in the whole TV show, as they keep referring to it as an IndyCar race, the same people will wonder why it went down that way.

Well, I don't need to get screwed again to know what will happen. I suggest an alternate plan, like trying to get Honda and Toyota to come back and do some real racing, and then pull the plug on the CrapMotor program at Cosworth.

mk

There's no black and white here, and people need to realize this. Whatever you think, Danica has been a huge story. It's either a huge opportunity or a huge loss. Danica is on the threshhold on true stardom here.

Quit tearing her down and focus what is important.

racer2c
05-30-05, 11:21 PM
Bottom line for me is that if they are driving crapwagons, I ain't watching or spending one cent to go to go to one of the 'shared' races. CCWS better think long and hard about this one...
:thumbup:

racer2c
05-30-05, 11:25 PM

mk

As always, you're spot on again. :thumbup:

I wouldn't mind Honda or Toyota returning if they came back on the premise that they are returning to 'real racing'. No more Ilmore engine assembly. No proping up the series with yen either.

Mike Kellner
05-31-05, 12:23 AM
Whatever you think, Danica has been a huge story. It's either a huge opportunity or a huge loss. Danica is on the threshhold on true stardom here.

The way I see it, Gomer Girl is an asset for the enemy, and therefore is a legitimate target. I intend to tear her down every chance I get. Winning is what's important, and the winner will be the last series standing. Everything we do to hurt them brings us closer to victory. Everything we do to help them brings the Gomers closer to victory. I don't know about you, but I was our side to win. We are the real racing series, they are the poseurs.

mk

The :gomer:RL: Breaking our backs to make Tony feel important.

stroker
05-31-05, 12:36 AM
There's no black and white here, and people need to realize this. Whatever you think, Danica has been a huge story. It's either a huge opportunity or a huge loss. Danica is on the threshhold on true stardom here.

If Danica's what's important then FTG's got a big frikkin' problem--beyond the problem that he's confusing awareness with support. Danica creates awareness. Let's see how much of it translates into support.

jonovision_man
05-31-05, 07:53 AM
Whatever you think, Danica has been a huge story. It's either a huge opportunity or a huge loss. Danica is on the threshhold on true stardom here.

Absolutely... she's become an instant story.

Search for her name on news.google.ca... as many articles about her as people in the stands in Phoenix.

jono

Sean O'Gorman
05-31-05, 08:02 AM
The way I see it, Gomer Girl is an asset for the enemy, and therefore is a legitimate target. I intend to tear her down every chance I get. Winning is what's important, and the winner will be the last series standing. Everything we do to hurt them brings us closer to victory. Everything we do to help them brings the Gomers closer to victory. I don't know about you, but I was our side to win. We are the real racing series, they are the poseurs.

mk

The :gomer:RL: Breaking our backs to make Tony feel important.

Yeah, I'm sure all your Danica bashing on OC is really going a long way to stop the momentum she has built for the IRL... :rolleyes:

lone_groover
05-31-05, 08:47 AM
Danica's room is ready, as it is for every I*L competitor.

How do you think that's gonna play in the press? It will be (relatively) big news when she inevitably busts her neurologicals, and a lot of thus far inattentive mainstream reporters are gonna go Woodward/Bernstein on CrapWagon design. The evidence is all there.

Pay your premiums Danica!

:shakehead

NismoZ
05-31-05, 09:15 AM
So, the idiots at AR1 can't talk about this, but the idiots here can? Our rumors are better than your rumors? :rolleyes:

Gary
05-31-05, 11:32 AM
So, what engines and chassis will be used by the IRL in their allotment of these 'shared' races?

IMHO, all rumors should be viewed in light of the already-once-postponed IRL engine/chassis announcement. TG can't postpone it again without fully exposing his extremely weak position. They now have to either finish the job or get off the pot. Danica can't race a car that has no engine. Everything they say is spin, focused on the dilemma they face with this decision.

KK's injury has one upside. (BYW KK, very best wishes for a full recovery with no long term effects) Being laid up with this injury means that he really shouldn't be answering any phone calls from the IRL or Honda shills. He needs to be concentrating on his recovery... at least until the IRL engine/chassis announcement is complete. ;^)

Racing Truth
05-31-05, 11:33 AM

Shut up. She isn't the second coming of Senna, so we are obviously entitled to hammer her. :gomer:

Racing Truth
05-31-05, 12:09 PM
BTW: Mark C. NOW says that 590 has backed away from it.

So, to review, 590 comes out with a report. Ted posts it here, I post it at TF. Then Mark C. posts it AR1. And this idiot gets paid? :gomer: :rolleyes:

RaceGrrl
05-31-05, 12:17 PM
Shut up.

That's really mature of you.

Racing Truth
05-31-05, 12:21 PM
That's really mature of you.

I was being facetious Grrl. The next line should make that clear.

RichK
05-31-05, 12:36 PM
This rumor has Fred Nation written all over it.

The .05RL is getting desperate.

nrc
05-31-05, 01:12 PM
This rumor has Fred Nation written all over it.

The .05RL is getting desperate.Why would Bagdad Fred float a rumor like this when the IRL was last on record as opposing separate series with shared specs and events.

Napoleon
05-31-05, 01:15 PM
Why would Bagdad Fred float a rumor like this when the IRL was last on record as opposing separate series with shared specs and events.

The rumor, or idea, makes no sense unless the series were going to merge or share specs. The only reason you would do shared weekends in 06 is if an agreement is reached on merger or shared specs for some future seasons. In that event the '06 events would be a temporary "fix" pending the final result.

TorontoWorker
05-31-05, 09:03 PM
TO: contact@fan590.com

Dear Sir/Madam,
I have some questions concerning your report that was broadcast on the afternoon of May31st concerning the IRL series and the Champ Car series sharing some racing events next year.

1. Is it not true that your reporter was staying in Indy and picked this story up during this years 500?
2. Did this story come from an IRL offical?
3. If so - who was this offical?
4. Did your reporter contact any Champ Car offical?
5. If so, which Champ Car official(s)?
6. You must be aware of the bad blood between these two series: Did your reporter ever consider that what they were "leaked" to them about a shared series in 2006 may have been disinformation?
7. Is your reporter aware of the fact that both series use different types of cars, motors and rules for there respective series? Should this not have raised red flags that this "scoop" may not be on the up and up?
8. Was your source questioned about what would happen to current promoter contacts if such "shared" events came to pass? What was the answer if so?
9. What has your reporter and your station learnt from wading into such a murky quagmire as the debate between the IRL and Champ Car series?
10. Do you know what FTG stands for?

Thank you for your time.

FTG
05-31-05, 09:59 PM
And this idiot gets paid? :gomer: :rolleyes:

Not by me.

pchall
05-31-05, 10:09 PM
Yeah, I'm sure all your Danica bashing on OC is really going a long way to stop the momentum she has built for the IRL... :rolleyes:

Probably not. But I'm confident Texas will do that instead.

Jag_Warrior
05-31-05, 11:04 PM
BTW: Mark C. NOW says that 590 has backed away from it.

So, to review, 590 comes out with a report. Ted posts it here, I post it at TF. Then Mark C. posts it AR1. And this idiot gets paid? :gomer: :rolleyes:

Well, you know what they say about the birthrate of suckers.

I always thought it was pretty funny when people would create rumors on the old site, and time how long it took for Marxie to post it as a "found" rumor. :rolleyes:

Methanolandbrats
05-31-05, 11:46 PM
Probably not. But I'm confident Texas will do that instead.Me too. If they throw her through the chain link, I wonder how the press on that will look?

ChampCar#3
06-01-05, 09:38 AM
TO: contact@fan590.com

I sent a similar e-mail but haven't received a reply back!

Elliot Freidman from the Fan590 really "hammered" FTG the other day. Called him the worst sports owner/manager ever. Also blamed him for the total death spiral of the 500 and the decline of the OW racing!

Michaelhatesfans
06-01-05, 09:47 AM
Me too. If they throw her through the chain link, I wonder how the press on that will look?
I posted something similar elsewhere. They're finally drawing attention to themselves, and when she loses the lottery, the press isn't going to be very forgiving. The same press that ignored four broken backs in four weeks is going to suddenly become very interested in the safety record of the IRL when the golden girl is in traction.

oddlycalm
06-01-05, 11:24 AM
This rumor sounds like the product of a worldclass koolaid hangover. TG brews the IMS koolaid with wormwood so the hallucinations are strong and the hangover is deadly. Anyone that actually watched the race broadcast should probably detox with a healthy dose of beer and real race cars until reality snaps back into focus.

oc

Mike Kellner
06-01-05, 11:32 AM
It now looks like Bruno will be out for the season.

From Robin on Speed:

Dr. Terry Trammell said Tuesday night that Bruno Junqueira is looking at a six month recovery from injuries he suffered in last Sunday's Indianapolis 500.

As usual, alert and complaining of back pain is IndySpin for, "Will walk again someday after extensive therapy."

Is there anyone in Atlantics who needs a big break? Why put some retread or traitor in the car? There are always more good drivers than rides.

mk

NismoZ
06-01-05, 02:31 PM
As KK explained this morning, it is very difficult to put ANYone in an oval race without experience there or recent testing. That eliminates just about everyone, but not Lazier. You think some hot shot road racer wants to attempt his first big break to CC at The Mile? Or an owner to put someone in that situation? That's a tough deal. A one shot sub this weekend, an oval guy, a long term established road racer deal for the rest of the season. Maybe :D

nrc
06-01-05, 02:57 PM
As KK explained this morning, ...
Huh? Did I miss something?

KLang
06-01-05, 03:19 PM
Huh? Did I miss something?

It's on AR1. Not sure if I should copy the article here.

KK called AR1 to 'set the record straight'. PG offered RHR to N/H for the rest of the season but N/H only wants him for Milwaukee. PG declined because he could find a driver easy enough for the remainder of the season but not one just for Milwaukee.

A KK quote from AR1:

"Unfortunately Newman/Haas would only take Ryan for one race and that's what forced Paul G. to then say no because, whereas he could find a driver for the rest of the season, finding one for just one race, when that one race is an oval, where the consequences can be high, would have been near impossible. There are sponsorship issues and logistics issues, but most importantly, you can't just throw a driver into an oval situation without recent experience and testing.

"I just want to get the word out that Paul did nothing to hinder Ryan's career, and in my view bent over backwards by giving up his driver for the rest of the season for one of the top rides in the series. Paul is getting a bum rap on this and I felt it necessary to set the record straight."

cameraman
06-01-05, 03:42 PM
I Paul is getting a bum rap on this and I felt it necessary to set the record straight."

So which forum is working overtime to the point where a billionaire coming out of shoulder surgery feels the need to respond?
:shakehead

nrc
06-01-05, 04:23 PM
It's on AR1. Not sure if I should copy the article here.
No, don't copy articles. Paraphrasing and fair use quoting are fine. Thanks for clearling that up.

Gangrel
06-01-05, 04:24 PM
Absolutely... she's become an instant story.

Search for her name on news.google.ca... as many articles about her as people in the stands in Phoenix.

jono

3 articles, eh? :D

Ankf00
06-01-05, 11:35 PM

think of how many fewer have your opinion, and what happened to your "quality" argument, I'll take races in kukwongkong, Tibet if it has right turns and means we don't race in Fort Worthless

Ankf00
06-01-05, 11:43 PM

stardom for what? for having the same level of success as Kournikova? Anna did have the NHL groupie thing going for her and she actually won doubles titles, and Danica, well... ya...

Methanolandbrats
06-01-05, 11:51 PM
share this http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/geno/****you.gif