PDA

View Full Version : IF Bruno is unable to go by the weekend:

Pages : [1] 2

devilmaster
05-30-05, 12:29 PM
I say it that way because I know not of spine injuries, but i suspect he's out for a few races....

Who gets the call or should get the call for a top flight seat?

I think they fall back on old times and get Christian...

sundaydriver2
05-30-05, 12:41 PM
Bruno is out for the season

:thumdown:

FCH

Ed_Severson
05-30-05, 01:09 PM
I'm available. :D

In all seriousness, I shudder to think about this possibility, but Christian Fittipaldi isn't doing much lately, and has a long history with the team.

Other than him, I would think somebody like Gidley would be a decent choice. There doesn't really seem to be anyone in Atlantics that looks ready for Champ Car, and guys like Fogarty and Dalziel already have full-time jobs elsewhere.

nrc
05-30-05, 01:12 PM
Source? Not doubting it, just curious. Miller said probably six weeks to two months.

I'd like to see Michael Valliante, Jon Fogarty or Ryan Dalziel in the seat. After screwing us out of a championship contender Haas owes us something more interesting than a retreaded underachiever like Fittipaldi.

Yes, I know "He doesn't owe us anything." Whatever.

Ed_Severson
05-30-05, 01:16 PM
I had forgotten about Valiante. Interestingly enough, his website says "Valiante is still working on a sponsorship program that will make it possible for him (to) compete full time in the 2005 Champ Car World Series."

I would much prefer to see him in the seat rather than Fittipaldi, but I'm guessing Haas will want someone with a bit more experience and Pacificare will want someone recognizable.

coolhand
05-30-05, 01:44 PM
crissy fitti is a has been, give fogerty, valiente, or Dalziel a shot and that will bolster the Formula Atlantic program if these guys do well and get a ride in a top seat.

chop456
05-30-05, 01:47 PM
a retreaded underachiever

I had to read that twice. :D

pferrf1
05-30-05, 02:22 PM
http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/20050530/junky_44550.jpg

Talk about 'crushable structures' for the nose of the car.

coolhand
05-30-05, 02:25 PM
http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/20050530/junky_44550.jpg

Talk about 'crushable structures' for the nose of the car.

I cannot believe his feet survived :shakehead

NismoZ
05-30-05, 02:35 PM
Haas has a history of going after the best available, I don't think he'll step "down" to Atlantics in a search. How good is Jos Verstoppen, really? If this was for the rest of the season I think he looks for the best available driver...ANYwhere. Make a short list. (RM said Buddy Lazier...surprised me.)

coolhand
05-30-05, 02:39 PM
Haas has a history of going after the best available, I don't think he'll step "down" to Atlantics in a search. How good is Jos Verstoppen, really? If this was for the rest of the season I think he looks for the best available driver...ANYwhere. Make a short list. (RM said Buddy Lazier...surprised me.)

he could just get an oval speicalist for Millwaukee, and then go for the best available driver for the rest of the season (probably some european road racer)

NismoZ
05-30-05, 02:45 PM
Yep, my guess exactly.

Jervis Tetch 1
05-30-05, 02:54 PM
I would never put Buddy Lazier in the car even at Milwaukee. Remember, there's a big difference between a Lola and a Crap Wagon. Lazier also can't turn right and with a slew of road and street courses coming up, I can't see N-H putting Lazier the *winner of the '96 500 in a car.

There's a lot better choices than that wanker. Remind me to tell you guys later what that idiot did to a friend of mine, who covered the race for his newspaper.

NismoZ
05-30-05, 03:08 PM
Possibly, I wasn't passing judgement I was only guessing a replacement for Milwaukee (if there IS one) would be an emergency temporary quick fix, as he searches for the best OTHER guy out there for the rest of the time. I hear Haas actually tried to sign Lazier for '97 but Hemelgarn (?) nixed the deal. Whatever, I just don't think he'll look to someone with no CC or other proven high power experience. I feel very badly for Bruno and had predicted him to win the title this season...he felt it would be his, too.

Hot Rod Otis
05-30-05, 04:36 PM
Get ready for Roberto Moreno. :rolleyes:

coolhand
05-30-05, 04:40 PM
Get ready for Roberto Moreno. :rolleyes:
super-sub :thumdown:

cameraman
05-30-05, 04:56 PM
Mario Haberfeld would be a reasonable choice.

theunions
05-30-05, 04:56 PM
Christian has already committed to a full-time Brazilian stock car deal, which is why he bailed on Bell in Grand-Am and is now running for Krohn/TRG only on non-conflicting weekends.

Meanwhile MarkC suggests this may be the time/opportunity for Carp to jump ship again/Cheever to dump him...

theunions
05-30-05, 04:57 PM
Bruno is out for the season

Link?

Somewhere I saw someone allege SpeedTV.com reported "October" but I could not find it.

cameraman
05-30-05, 05:04 PM
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Driver Bruno Junqueira was in fair condition following surgery Monday on two fractured vertebrae suffered in a crash during the Indianapolis 500, the Indy Racing League announced.

Dr. Terry Trammell, who performed the surgery, said the 28-year-old Brazilian suffered no additional spinal injuries and would remain at Methodist Hospital until the end of the week.

coolhand
05-30-05, 05:11 PM
Mario Haberfeld would be a reasonable choice.

didn't think about that, but he deserves a shot at a top ride, or a lola at least

rabbit
05-30-05, 05:43 PM
Haberfeld would be a great choice, IMO. :thumbup:

Dr. Corkski
05-30-05, 08:07 PM
They tested Fogarty before going with Bourdais, so maybe it's finally time for him to get his chance.

lone_groover
05-30-05, 08:39 PM
Haberfeld for sure.

:)

RHR_Fan
05-30-05, 08:43 PM
What's Gidley up to?

~Nicole

Sean O'Gorman
05-30-05, 09:17 PM
Too many date conflicts with Grand-Am, so Gidley is out of the question.

lone_groover
05-30-05, 09:20 PM
Talent confilcts too....even in an N/H Lola, Wilson would have Memo for tea; and Oreo would make a tapa out of his a$$.

f'real

:cry:

JoeBob
05-30-05, 09:23 PM
Would KK send da Matta over to N-H, and then put a lesser driver in one of his cars?

Sean O'Gorman
05-30-05, 09:26 PM
As a reward for Newman-Haas knocking one of their star drivers out for part of the season? :saywhat:

Rob
05-30-05, 10:37 PM
According to one poster at another forum, "I heard an interview with Patrick Carpentier today and he was saying that he has been asked if he would be available to fill in Bruno`s spot with Newman-Haas for some races."

Dr. Corkski
05-30-05, 10:38 PM
According to one poster at another forum, "I heard an interview with Patrick Carpentier today and he was saying that he has been asked if he would be available to fill in Bruno`s spot with Newman-Haas for some races."It would be sweet if he comes back and shows Tracy and Forsythe the way. :thumbup:

theunions
05-31-05, 12:42 AM
Too many date conflicts with Grand-Am, so Gidley is out of the question.

Depends on how long Bruno is really out for...

NismoZ
05-31-05, 09:26 AM
Won't happen, but the daMatta move-over idea would be VERY popular with Bruno's N/H crew, they were hoping those pre-season rumors of daMatta to N/H were true...but knew there wouldn't be a 3rd car. I wonder about the Haas contract arrangements with daMatta, though...he had the "rights" this year, was any mention made if those were totally given up, or could a clause have stipulated "unless we need him"! :laugh:

Rogue Leader
05-31-05, 10:30 AM
I hate to say it but these dreams of a driver from another team moving over to replace Bruno are crazy. If you were a team owner would you loan out your top driver to the most powerful team in the series so he can go out and kick your ass? Its not going to happen.

JoeBob
05-31-05, 10:53 AM
Remember, KK has to weigh the best interest of the series with the best interest of his team.

Easy
05-31-05, 12:03 PM
Fogarty is contracted to Flying Lizard for ALMS and already passed on testing with Forsythe due to his contract.

Gidley is contracted to Finlay Motorsports for Grand Am and has given up his SPEED TC ride to focus on this.

I am not currently contracted to anyone and live close to the shop. Mr. Haas should be calling me sometime this morning.

JoeBob
05-31-05, 01:18 PM
Sounds like Bruno is going to be out of action for quite a while. http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_2768691

Bruno Junqueira, who was involved in the worst of seven accidents in Sunday's Indianapolis 500, came out of successful back surgery Monday but could miss the rest of the Champ Car World Series season.

"He came out of surgery and was awake and alert," Kathi Lauterbach, spokesman for Newman/Haas Racing, said from Methodist Hospital. "It went very well and there is no paralysis."

Junqueira, a two-time winner at the Grand Prix of Denver, suffered a "fracture/dislocation from the T-12 vertebrae through the L-1 vertebrae without spinal-cord injury," Lauterbach said.

She said doctors used two rods and 10 screws to repair damage caused by a hard backward hit into the turn two wall after Junqueira, running sixth, was clipped by the lapped car of A.J. Foyt IV. The accident on lap 77 knocked Junqueira unconscious and totaled his car, sponsored by Centrix Financial of Centennial.

Junqueira is expected to remain hospitalized through the week.

"They think he'll be able to begin rehab pretty quick," Lauterbach said. "(Racing again) hasn't been discussed. They're going to sit him up (Monday night) and stand him up (today). It all depends on how that goes."

FCYTravis
05-31-05, 01:21 PM
I am not currently contracted to anyone and live close to the shop. Mr. Haas should be calling me sometime this morning.
Team Northpak! I'd hit it! :laugh:

Just make sure you tell Baytos... he'll have a press release out tomorrow crowing about his alumni success :rofl:

stroker
05-31-05, 01:35 PM
I thought Salo was pretty good, but he may ask too much $.

TravelGal
05-31-05, 01:54 PM
I thought Salo was pretty good, but he may ask too much $.

You're thinking my thoughts. Salo can drive but his ego (and paycheck?) are out of check. Brack is also available (!) and showed some good stuff. [God bless him.] I'm sure he'd love to avoid another crapfest if he could.

Turn7
05-31-05, 01:55 PM
I would think that it would be either Habs or Jourdain that would be contacted first.

?? after that ??

cameraman
05-31-05, 02:14 PM
Junqueira has no memory of any part of the race.
It takes one hell of a shot to the head to cause that...
:shakehead

RusH
05-31-05, 02:14 PM
Mario should come out of retirement for a one-off and do N/H a favor.
:gomer: :D

coolhand
05-31-05, 02:16 PM
:gomer: :D

send the gomers in a tizzy and steal the spotlight from the IRL. Great Move.

G.
05-31-05, 03:05 PM
:gomer: :DOoooooo. I like!

After his kid trashed him in the press, this would be way :cool: .

Wheel-Nut
05-31-05, 03:34 PM
Put Newman in the car. Hopefully the pick some youngster. . . one with some talent.

JoeBob
05-31-05, 03:39 PM
What about Valiente?

lone_groover
05-31-05, 03:45 PM
If not Haberfeld, then Tarso Marqes or Max Wilson would be quick right away. Some under-appreciated talent in those two kidz.

Dr. Corkski
05-31-05, 03:59 PM
What about Valiente?The fannies already have him lined up for their boy Jensen's career death trap. :gomer:

Of course, KK could make NH bring up Danica II from Atlantic to create KatherineMania. :laugh:

Turn7
05-31-05, 04:18 PM
If not Haberfeld, then Tarso Marqes or Max Wilson would be quick right away.

I would rather Fogerty get a shot than Tarso or Max Wilson.

However, since we are firing up the way back machine Mr. Peabody, how about Hoover Orsi or Jan Magnussen?

You could go all black helicopters and claim to have sighted Scott Speed and Mika Hakkinen in the line with helmets in hand as well.

IlliniRacer
05-31-05, 04:50 PM
Since its impossible to have a seat speculation/rumor/looking for a ride thread without his name, I'll say it ------- Johnny Herbert.

However, I'm hoping for Haberfeld

mueber
05-31-05, 05:08 PM
Haberfeld makes the most sense. He's current and available.

FCYTravis
05-31-05, 05:21 PM
So NHR is going to put a career midpacker in the best seat in the series? :saywhat:

12th and 13th in the championship. Color me underwhelmed.

cameraman
05-31-05, 05:33 PM
So NHR is going to put a career midpacker in the best seat in the series? :saywhat:

12th and 13th in the championship. Color me underwhelmed.

Try a career Reynard driver. Put him in a high end Lola and he will fly.

FCYTravis
05-31-05, 05:36 PM
I'm still not particularly impressed.

Turn7
05-31-05, 05:38 PM
I am sure they are worried about impressing you.

FCYTravis
05-31-05, 05:57 PM
:rolleyes: :laugh:

JoeBob
05-31-05, 05:58 PM
Another forum is speculating about Buddy Lazier.

That would certainly be an interesting choice.

The Doctor
05-31-05, 06:23 PM

Haas may be dumb (as we saw this past month), but TZ and Friends are not. They prefer for their finely engineered cars to be steered forwards and not backwards.

theunions
05-31-05, 06:37 PM
Fogarty is contracted to Flying Lizard for ALMS and already passed on testing with Forsythe due to his contract.

Gidley is contracted to Finlay Motorsports for Grand Am and has given up his SPEED TC ride to focus on this.

It should be noted that Dalziel is also ALMS-contracted (Pacific Coast), regardless of his apprenticeship (or whatever you would call it) with PKV.

The latest I've seen suggests Bruno being out 6-8 weeks. There is no Grand-Am conflict until the end of July (two weeks after the first ALMS conflict), and Cleveland is within that timespan.

RTKar
05-31-05, 07:12 PM

I think Buddy has some history with NH in a testing capacity (once or twice) years ago...early 90's maybe. ???????

L1P1
05-31-05, 07:22 PM
Maybe Danica will run Milwaukee as an apology for the IRL wankers who took out both N/H teammates. :shakehead :p

Racing Truth
05-31-05, 07:30 PM
Maybe Danica will run Milwaukee as an apology for the IRL wankers who took out both N/H teammates. :shakehead :p

:laugh: Though its really :mad:

theunions
05-31-05, 08:33 PM
I think Buddy has some history with NH in a testing capacity (once or twice) years ago...early 90's maybe. ???????

Doesn't ring a bell...and looking at the '95 CART media guide (documenting his last full season the year before), there's no mention of such in his bio.

rabbit
05-31-05, 08:48 PM
IIRC, he cruised the pits at Milwaukee the week after he won Indy in '96, looking for a ride. As I recall, there was some interest from NHR for him to replace Tracy (who was NOT gelling with the team) at the end of the year, the seat that ultimately went to Lesserpaldi.

I think.

oddlycalm
05-31-05, 09:00 PM
Whoever it is, I hope it costs Haas a bundle and I hope the entire process is inconvenient as hell for him personally.

oc

Sean O'Gorman
05-31-05, 09:00 PM
IIRC, he cruised the pits at Milwaukee the week after he won Indy in '96, looking for a ride. As I recall, there was some interest from NHR for him to replace Tracy (who was NOT gelling with the team) at the end of the year, the seat that ultimately went to Lesserpaldi.

I think.

Tracy drove for Newman-Haas in '95, Fittipaldi was already there by '96.

rabbit
05-31-05, 10:14 PM
Tracy drove for Newman-Haas in '95, Fittipaldi was already there by '96.
:gomer: I knew that. :gomer:

But the rest of it is true.

I think.

theunions
06-01-05, 03:07 AM
I do recall him and his dad scouting around the CART paddocks in the months following his 500 win, but I don't recall N-H (or anyone else, for that matter) expressing any particular interest, at least not out loud.

NismoZ
06-01-05, 08:34 AM
N/H tried to sign Lazier for the '97 season (RM)...now we're hearing Michel Jourdain had to turn down an offer to run at Milwaukee because of a Busch conflict. Wow, just think, he could have been Danica...or Rice, now he can't even be Michel!

lone_groover
06-01-05, 08:42 AM
My pick would be BuddyL, of course. But I'm afraid there may a scheduling conflict with the Special Olympics this month.

Buddy's quite the athlete, don't you know!

:gomer:

Spicoli
06-01-05, 09:53 AM
My sources say Buddy is in.

Chief
06-01-05, 10:33 AM
RM on SpeedTV (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/champcar/auto/17261/) this AM sez RHR has the line.....if Gentilossi can get Ryan a better deal from Haas....

Haas needs to step up here, he screwed us at Indy, let's not make it 2x in a week.

Methanolandbrats
06-01-05, 10:33 AM
My sources say Buddy is in.Great idea. The week after Danicle Mania, put an IRL ad in the car for a Champcar Race. Really smart move.

KLang
06-01-05, 10:38 AM
My sources say Buddy is in.

You can't be serious :confused:

Didn't he suck in CART?

My bet would be Moreno for this weekend. Most of the other young guns that might be available don't have the oval experience.

Edit: From the Champ Car site:

CAREER STATS

Starts 55
Poles 0
Podiums 0
Wins 0

:saywhat:

Rob
06-01-05, 11:12 AM
You can't be serious :confused:

Didn't he suck in CART?

My bet would be Moreno for this weekend. Most of the other young guns that might be available don't have the oval experience.

Edit: From the Champ Car site:

CAREER STATS

Starts 55
Poles 0
Podiums 0
Wins 0

Yeah, but to be fair, in how many of those 55 races was he in a car capable of a podium?

Easy
06-01-05, 11:26 AM
Buddy sucked in CART 94. This is Champ Car 2005. Not the same.

That said, I vote for Jeret Schroeder. :p

Actually, if we're going for unproven guys, give Elton Julian a shot. He could probably still whip up half this field despite a long layoff.

Spicoli
06-01-05, 11:26 AM
Great idea. The week after Danicle Mania, put an IRL ad in the car for a Champcar Race. Really smart move.

Alot more here than meets the eyes.

lone_groover
06-01-05, 11:45 AM
I don't like this attáll!

Shoudn't it automatically be offered to the first runner-up, Miss America-Style?

Mike Kellner
06-01-05, 12:17 PM
I posted this in the wrong place....

It now looks like Bruno will be out for the season.

From Robin on Speed:

Dr. Terry Trammell said Tuesday night that Bruno Junqueira is looking at a six month recovery from injuries he suffered in last Sunday's Indianapolis 500.

As usual, alert and complaining of back pain is IndySpin for, "Will walk again someday after extensive therapy."

Is there anyone in Atlantics who needs a big break? Why put some retread or traitor in the car? There are always more good drivers than rides.

mk

coolhand
06-01-05, 12:24 PM
why put the original IRL hero in the car? :thumdown:

FCYTravis
06-01-05, 12:39 PM
Because it will make the gomers go absolutely insane?

"American driver who's shut out of the IRL goes racing in Champ Car."

The IRListas who are left will be spinning 360s in an attempt to justify it somehow as bad for Champ Car.

Look, he did pretty damn freakin' good out there at the 500. Give him some good equipment and see what happens. If he wanks it up, fire his ass.

JoeBob
06-01-05, 12:40 PM
Over on TF, they're very excited. They want to watch Buddy finally get a chance with a top team. This gets IRL fans watching ChampCar, and doesn't alienate ChampCar fans. Sounds like a good test of moving towards one series, without alienating anyone.

At the very least, it will be put up or shut up time for Buddy. He'll have the car that is leading in the championship. No excuses.

Methanolandbrats
06-01-05, 12:50 PM
Buddy prediction. First session, turn two, backs it in hard.....no broken back. Ya heard it hear first.

devilmaster
06-01-05, 12:52 PM
allright.

Who's deep throating our discussions to TSN?!?

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story.asp?ID=126636&hubName=auto_racing

;)

trish
06-01-05, 01:26 PM
RM on SpeedTV (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/champcar/auto/17261/) this AM sez RHR has the line.....if Gentilossi can get Ryan a better deal from Haas....

Haas needs to step up here, he screwed us at Indy, let's not make it 2x in a week.
And who gets Ryan's seat? Someone with cash I'm sure...

theunions
06-01-05, 01:35 PM
why put the original IRL hero in the car? :thumdown:

Because he - like Jourdain - is "racing" cars with fenders in Dover this weekend.

lone_groover
06-01-05, 01:38 PM

OK, so give us a steer. Non-bum, preferably.

:gomer:

Hard Driver
06-01-05, 01:44 PM
allright.

Who's deep throating our discussions to TSN?!?

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story.asp?ID=126636&hubName=auto_racing

;)

"It was a big crash but I will recover fast to race again as soon as possible," said Junqueira, who was reportedly standing and starting to walk just one day after the surgery. He is expected to begin swimming and treadmill therapy soon.

"This is disappointing for the Champ Car championship because I was leading and very confident about the next races."

Yes, one of the best opportunities to win the Champcar Championship blown because an amateur financed by a idiot was padding the field. :mad:

cameraman
06-01-05, 01:52 PM

They been taking lessons from the members of Bernie's circus?
What do we have, Carl Haas in the library with a hammer?

RichK
06-01-05, 02:00 PM
Junqueira, who was reportedly standing and starting to walk just one day after the surgery. He is expected to begin swimming and treadmill therapy soon.

:( This statement really brings me to the reality of his crash. Paul Newman must be fuming about now (along with many of us).

NismoZ
06-01-05, 02:19 PM
I guess Gentilozzi offered RHR to N/H, no strings, for the rest of the season but Haas "has a lot of other options" and turned down the idea. I guess KK was concerned Paul was getting a bad rap for nixing a 1 race deal and wants the record set straight. Good for CC, they seem to be working TOGETHER. All I can think is, Haas is no dummy, didn't WANT RHR for the rest of the season because he thinks he can do better. I hesitate to say it, but I agree. It would have been a great litmus to see how good RHR really is, OR how much better a team N/H is. If it's Lazier I have to think it's only for Milwaukee, THEN who? KK's in surgery, wish him well! Go CC!

Chief
06-01-05, 02:19 PM
What do we have, Carl Haas in the library with a hammer?

It's looking like it.....

I'd speculate CC trying to help N/H and denied, especially when it was Haas' decision to pursue INDY that injured Bruno ain't sitting well with CC or PLN. Perhaps this is what Spicoli is alluding to.....

What ever happens they are losing valuable marketing time to promote whoever it'll be.

coolhand
06-01-05, 02:53 PM
I guess Gentilozzi offered RHR to N/H, no strings, for the rest of the season but Haas "has a lot of other options" and turned down the idea. I guess KK was concerned Paul was getting a bad rap for nixing a 1 race deal and wants the record set straight. Good for CC, they seem to be working TOGETHER. All I can think is, Haas is no dummy, didn't WANT RHR for the rest of the season because he thinks he can do better. I hesitate to say it, but I agree. It would have been a great litmus to see how good RHR really is, OR how much better a team N/H is. If it's Lazier I have to think it's only for Milwaukee, THEN who? KK's in surgery, wish him well! Go CC!

If we know Gentalozzi, it sounds like he wants to get RHR off his hands :laugh:

"if you think our intentions are altruistic you are smoking crack"

NismoZ
06-01-05, 03:19 PM
Yes, exactly :laugh: (Here, take my driver, PLEASE!")...and you know what else? I think they both had the same "other" driver in mind. N/H has contacted or been contacted by Jos Verstoppen. Can't believe it's for Milwaukee, that's what Lazier would be for. But, Jos for the rest of the season, or a solid 2-3 month block of road races? (with Bruno returning for Vegas?) Interesting.

cameraman
06-01-05, 03:34 PM
(with Bruno returning for Vegas?)

Bruno's next race will be Long Beach.

Mike Kellner
06-01-05, 03:38 PM
I have the answer.....

Nigel Mansell :laugh:

mk

Mike Kellner
06-01-05, 04:07 PM
I have even a better idea.....

AJ IV

He gets passed several time a lap, and each pass will have people on the edge of their seats. What could be more exciting than that? :laugh:

mk

NismoZ
06-01-05, 04:07 PM
LB? I think so too, I was just using the 8 wk. thing that was being thrown around. All the more reason to think a guy like Vestoppen might step in. He said it "has to be the right situation." Long term, top team, etc. Makes as much sense as anything else right now.

Ed_Severson
06-01-05, 04:28 PM
Champ Car's website says Oriol Servia will step into the Pacificare Lola. No word on who, if anybody, will replace Servia at Coyne.