PDA

View Full Version : Hampson plugs SeaBass for ROY

rabbit
05-30-05, 12:13 PM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050530/SPORTS010105/505300370

"He didn't make any mistakes today," Hampson said. "The crash at the end, the guy behind him hit him and cut his tire down. Sebastien didn't make any mistakes today, but I saw Danica make a lot of mistakes today.

"Sebastien drove awesome."

RTKar
05-30-05, 12:18 PM
/\

Which is absolutely true. The primary reason she was up front was the fuel situation, non seasoned race fans don't understand that, just about any team could have kept their driver out or short pitted to stick their car up front only to run out of fuel a with a couple laps to go. I'm more impressed by her teams ability to keep the car on the lead lap considering her mistakes.

nrc
05-30-05, 12:20 PM
Heh. I'm sure the folks at the speedway are giving those factors all due consideration. :laugh:

Amanda B.'s Mom
05-30-05, 12:23 PM
If Seb would get the ROY I think it would qualify as a "knock your socks off" announcement.

He did a great job out there, but it would be politically incorrect for him to be named ROY.

Fio1
You guys don't get it, Danica will share ROY with Ed Carpenter. :laugh: :rolleyes:

devilmaster
Here's a conspiracy theory for everyone:

Did anyone else hear Danica's spotter say "don't let that next car past you" when she had fallen to just in front of seabass?

;)

Amanda B.'s Mom
05-30-05, 12:25 PM

Did anyone else hear Danica's spotter say "don't let that next car past you" when she had fallen to just in front of seabass?

;)

Yup!

TroyM1
05-30-05, 12:32 PM
Even if Seabass had passed her, she will still win ROY.

coolhand
05-30-05, 01:29 PM
/\

Which is absolutely true. The primary reason she was up front was the fuel situation, non seasoned race fans don't understand that, just about any team could have kept their driver out or short pitted to stick their car up front only to run out of fuel a with a couple laps to go. I'm more impressed by her teams ability to keep the car on the lead lap considering her mistakes.

:thumbup: well said

Sean O'Gorman
05-30-05, 01:43 PM
Personally, I think Danica would be a better choice for ROY because she exceeded expectations while Bourdais didn't really meet them. I fully expected Bourdais to clean up, and he didn't really contend.

Racing Truth
05-30-05, 01:46 PM
Personally, I think Danica would be a better choice for ROY because she exceeded expectations while Bourdais didn't really meet them. I fully expected Bourdais to clean up, and he didn't really contend.

Yes. And ultimately, he finished 12th, she finished 4th. However she got there, scoreboard usually rules.

But yes, a great case can be made for SeaBass. :cool:

pfc_m_drake
05-30-05, 05:03 PM

;)
Not to ruin your conspiracy, but I suspect they asked Danica to let Vitor Meira (her teammate) by to see if he could run down Weldon (because she wasn't going to be able to due in part to her fuel situation). In the process of letting Meira by, Herta also took advantage and got by. So, while I don't know for sure, I wonder if the full context (adding some of my own words) might have been something like:

"That's ok, don't worry about the fact that Herta got past you in the process of letting Vitor by, but just don't let that next car past you as well."

Mike Kellner
05-30-05, 05:15 PM
Ha! They had the ROY trophy engraved last month, and it does not say Sebastien.

I bet they are franticly removing someone's face from the Brog Warner, and searching around for a picture of what's his name. No one expected him to win, after all, he only won 3/4 of the CrapWagon Crashfests this year. I don't think the ABC announcers even knew he was in the race until lap 180.

:gomer:

Methanolandbrats
05-30-05, 07:21 PM
Personally, I think Danica would be a better choice for ROY because she exceeded expectations while Bourdais didn't really meet them. I fully expected Bourdais to clean up, and he didn't really contend. You have elevated trolling to a level so subtle and well crafted that you are the Mozart of trolls. My hat is off to you. :)

TroyM1
05-30-05, 07:28 PM
Another prediction.

Even if Danica had been knocked out of the race on her yellow spin out (very lucky she wasn't, most hits that hard knock you out) and Seabass finished in the top 5, the award still goes to Danica. You would have BLers over on trackforum saying that leading a lap at Indy means more than finishing higher. Remember, up until the caution where she stayed out, she had only led once, and that was during a green flag pit-stop cycle. I remember 1996, they gave the award to Tony Stewart instead of Richie Hearn. I think Hearn finished 4th that day and stewart blew up before the 1/2 point in the race.

Lizzerd
05-30-05, 08:58 PM
ROY will go to Danica. No doubt about it. She was the "story" all month and is an irl regular. SeaBass doesn't stand a chance.

Sean O'Gorman
05-30-05, 09:12 PM
You have elevated trolling to a level so subtle and well crafted that you are the Mozart of trolls. My hat is off to you. :)

What are you talking about? How was that a troll. Clearly I thought Bourdais would win, Bourdais was my choice to win, but even before he crashed, Danica was ahead of him.

Unfortunately, Bourdais could've dominated like Montoya did in '00 and I'm sure Danica would still get ROY. :shakehead

nrc
05-30-05, 09:46 PM
What are you talking about? How was that a troll. Clearly I thought Bourdais would win, Bourdais was my choice to win, but even before he crashed, Danica was ahead of him.

Unfortunately, Bourdais could've dominated like Montoya did in '00 and I'm sure Danica would still get ROY. :shakeheadI think your expectations were unrealistic. These are not the crap IRL teams that Montoya drove by like a bunch of grannies back in '00 and Bourdais was not going to get the same engines as AG or Rahal.

dando
05-30-05, 10:10 PM
I think your expectations were unrealistic. These are not the crap IRL teams that Montoya drove by like a bunch of grannies back in '00 and Bourdais was not going to get the same engines as AG or Rahal.
Aye. Plus, I bet Cheep handn't siphoned off the best of his crew to NASCAB.

-Kevin

swift
05-30-05, 10:23 PM
the incident with hornish getting into the marbles (prelude to the wall) while trying to pass sebastien doesn't help his case. even though bourdais had both his left wheels over the white line to give sammy some room, the IRL's former golden boy said that he was "squeezed". although he can run the high line at the 1.5-mile cookie cutter "D"-ovals, passing on indy's flat corners is a different story.

FanofMario
05-31-05, 12:49 AM
Sebastian was articulate and said all the right things towards Lord Tony at tonight's banquet. He seemed like he genuinely enjoyed the month. :shakehead

Brickman
05-31-05, 03:49 AM
the incident with hornish getting into the marbles (prelude to the wall) while trying to pass sebastien doesn't help his case. even though bourdais had both his left wheels over the white line to give sammy some room, the IRL's former golden boy said that he was "squeezed". although he can run the high line at the 1.5-mile cookie cutter "D"-ovals, passing on indy's flat corners is a different story.

Even though Hornish said it, I wouldn't say he was squeezed. It was the wiggle because Bourdais rounding through the turn that made Hornish move up a tad, and a tad was all it took.