PDA

View Full Version : Broken back for Junqueira

Audi_A4
05-29-05, 06:45 PM
Another site is reporting Champ Car driver Bruno Junqueira is inin fair condition after suffering a concussion and fractures of the T-12 and L-1 vertebras. The further report is that Bruno will require surgery Monday. :shakehead

DaveL
05-29-05, 06:51 PM
The Crapwagons take out another driver :shakehead Add him to list along the Dana and Rice.

Spicoli
05-29-05, 07:06 PM
You lay down with dogs....

dando
05-29-05, 07:10 PM
Mutha! :flame:

-Kevin

trish
05-29-05, 07:19 PM
Well, I certainly hope he's ok being a fan and all. So who gets his seat for next race?

coolhand
05-29-05, 07:29 PM
I hope his legs are alright too. they ook a beating :shakehead

RusH
05-29-05, 07:32 PM
Well, I certainly hope he's ok being a fan and all. So who gets his seat for next race?

Maybe Mario Andretti will come out of retirement for a one-off :mad:

I`m pissed.

trish
05-29-05, 07:44 PM
Racing is full of risks and Bruno is well aware of them. This wasn't his first time at Indy. Besides he'll probably be ok, just no hope for a championship this year.

coolhand
05-29-05, 07:57 PM
Besides he'll probably be ok,

dont think so this is bad

dando
05-29-05, 07:57 PM
Racing is full of risks and Bruno is well aware of them. This wasn't his first time at Indy. Besides he'll probably be ok, just no hope for a championship this year.
That's all fine and well, Trish. However, the blame goes to N/H, or Haass, for exposing their drivers to this risk, and thus jeopardizing the CCWS championship and/or their careers. For that, their is no excuse! :mad:

-Kevin

Jervis Tetch 1
05-29-05, 07:58 PM
Here's the official release:

Bruno Junqueira has been diagnosed with a concussion and fractures of the T-12 and L-1 vertebras that will require surgery on Monday. He is in stable and in fair condition at Methodist Hospital.

Not from the release (but should be)

I think this proves to all concerned that Quatro has no business being out on the track period. End of story.

lone_groover
05-29-05, 08:00 PM

:shakehead

trish
05-29-05, 08:01 PM
That's all fine and well, Trish. However, the blame goes to N/H, or Haass, for exposing their drivers to this risk, and thus jeopardizing the CCWS championship and/or their careers. For that, their is no excuse! :mad:

-Kevin
It was a business decision. And Bruno and Sebastien wanted to race, they weren't forced to.

Wally
05-29-05, 08:03 PM
Good God.......... :shakehead

dando
05-29-05, 08:25 PM
It was a business decision. And Bruno and Sebastien wanted to race, they weren't forced to.
BS! Stay off the Kool-Aid. :rolleyes: The decision was simply a case of chasing the fool's gold and Yen. With everything that has transpired over the past ~4 years, you are simply with us or against us, it's as simple as that.

FTG! :flame:

-Kevin

Audi_A4
05-29-05, 08:25 PM

Audi_A4
05-29-05, 08:26 PM

they probably were excited to race indy ... like it or not politics aside, ask the entire champcar field if they would like to race and have a shot to with the indy 500 and all except for PT would say yes. (PT already won the indy 500)

trish
05-29-05, 08:27 PM
Business decisions usually involve money. And what Kool Aide might you be talking about? You probably watched more of the race than I did.

trish
05-29-05, 08:29 PM
they probably were excited to race indy ... like it or not politics aside, ask the entire champcar field if they would like to race and have a shot to with the indy 500 and all except for PT would say yes. (PT already won the indy 500)
A large part of it is the prize money although the track has always seemed awesome on tv (never actually been there).

lone_groover
05-29-05, 08:36 PM
Trish, you're not coming off as a very nice person here......

:thumdown:

dando
05-29-05, 08:36 PM
Business decisions usually involve money. And what Kool Aide might you be talking about? You probably watched more of the race than I did.
I didn't watch one second of that crap. Instead, I spent a productive 5 hours doing yard work and playing with our 19 mos. old outside on a perfect day. FTG now and forever! Do you even comprehend the depth of the hate most of us have for that bastid? I have personally said no thx to free tix to the USPG. Get it? The only reason I would possibly grace FTG with my presence is to piss on his grave. :flame:

-Kevin

RaceChic
05-29-05, 08:40 PM
The official press releae in case this isn't already posted elsewhere. :(

Newman/Haas Racing Team CENTRIX

Post Race Info/Quotes for the 89th Indianapolis 500 - Sunday, May 29, 2005

TEAM CENTRIX DRIVER JUNQUEIRA TO HAVE SURGERY AFTER SPINAL INJURY DUE TO CONTACT; BOURDAIS FINISHED 12TH AFTER CONTACT WITH 1.5 LAPS TO GO IN INDY 500 WHILE FIFTH

Carl Haas, Co-Owner of Newman/Haas Racing: “Today’s incident was very unfortunate. Bruno had been running an excellent race and he was very happy with the performance of the racecar. He was running in sixth place when on lap 77 there was contact made with the lapped car of A.J. Foyt IV. This is certainly not the way we had hoped to end the month of May, but Bruno is in the very capable hands of Dr. Terry Trammel and the medical team at Methodist Hospital. Thankfully, Bruno was conscious after the incident and the extent of his injuries and best course of treatment are still being determined.”

Bruno Junqueira, No. 36 Team CENTRIX Honda/Panoz/Firestone: According to Dr. Henry Bock, IRL and IMS senior director of medical services: Bruno Junqueira has been diagnosed with a concussion and fractures of the T-12 and L-1 vertebras that will require surgery on Monday. He is stable and in fair condition at Methodist Hospital. Junqueira was unavailable for a statement.

· FAST FACTS: Was his fourth race here. In his rookie event in 2001 he started 20th and finished fifth for Target Ganassi Racing. He won the pole position in 2002, led the first 32 laps but retired in 31st place with engine failure also with Target Ganassi Racing. Last year in his first Indy 500 with NHR he qualified his PacifiCare Honda-G-Force fourth despite limited practice time. He was in the midst of leading 16 laps when rain and tornados were closing in but had to give up the lead to pit for fuel and was in fifth place when the race was stopped early under caution not long after due to weather…LEADS CHAMP CAR POINT STANDINGS: Started second, led eight laps and finished third in the season-opener in Long Beach…Hindered by boost problem in final qualifying and started fifth but led the final 9 laps in Monterrey, Mexico to win and take the points lead…Has 59 points while second place Bourdais has 58 and Justin Wilson has 47.

Sebastien Bourdais, No. 37 Team CENTRIX Honda/Panoz/Firestone: “I was very happy with where the No. 37 Team CENTRIX car was – at the front at the end of the race. That was exactly what we wanted to do and that’s why I am so disappointed. You can’t pass in traffic, it’s tough, and I couldn’t back off big enough. When Vitor passed Danica, she had to back off big time and lost a lot of speed and I couldn’t back off enough to get some clean air. She went down on the track quite a lot to protect her line quite well. I couldn’t back off more because of the guys close behind me so I lost the momentum myself. Although I tried hard I just moved a little to the left. He (Lazier) was probably to close to me and touched my tires and cut it. I didn’t realize what was happening and started slowing down and lost the engine and then hit the wall.

“The race was really crazy and wild. I should have been taken out five times before I was. Accidents happened right in front of me and I was able to avoid them. The race was obviously quite difficult; I had a lot to learn. You can’t try to make up positions when you have to be really, really patient. You have to take to opportunity when someone makes a mistake. You can’t force the issue and just pass them; most of the time it just doesn’t happen. When you fail, not only did you not pass the guy but you lose three or four positions. I want to apologize to Dario; I squeezed him because I didn’t even know he was there. My spotter didn’t tell me.”

· FAST FACTS: Was his first Indy 500. First sat in an IndyCar on April 18 when he had a seat fitting. Ran his first laps in an IndyCar during the two-day Rookie Orientation Program which began Sunday, May 8….OVAL SUCCESS: Has won two oval races (Germany 2003 & Las Vegas 2004) and one pole on an oval (Germany 2003)…VIVA FRANCE!: Only four Frenchmen have won the Indy 500: Jules Goux (1913, Paris), Rene Thomas (1914, Paris), Gaston Chevrolet (1920, Beaune) and Gil de Ferran (2003, Paris although he lists Sao Paulo, Brazil as his hometown). ..SECOND IN 2005 CCWS STANDINGS: Led a total of 37 laps and drove to victory in Long Beach...Was fastest in Friday and Saturday’s qualifying in Monterrey, Mexico, and led the first 17 laps but contact with Paul Tracy while attempting to pass him caused an extra pit stop to replace his flat tire and ultimately limited his finish to fifth place. Is one point behind teammate Junqueira in the point standings (59-58).

trish
05-29-05, 08:42 PM
Trish, you're not coming off as a very nice person here......

Bruno is alive and unfortunately injured after "participating" in a sporting event. Hopefully he will have a successful surgery and recovery. I'm not going to break out the sack cloth and ashes and start bashing myself in the head like some lunatic because of it. He is alive and there will be a race next weekend with or without him. Sorry if that's not nice enough for you.

nrc
05-29-05, 08:54 PM
Do you think there's such a thing as a bad business decision? Do you think this may have been one? I'd certainly say so if Haas places any value in the Champ car championship or keeping his Champ car sponsors happy.

dando
05-29-05, 08:58 PM
I'm not going to break out the sack cloth and ashes and start bashing myself in the head like some lunatic because of it.

Uh, I'm hardly a lunatic, but I despise FTG for what he has wrought on the sport I love. Do tell, exactlyy how long have you followed US OW racing? I'm not trying to pick a fight, rather trying to understand your perspective. I for one have followed Indy since the 70s, and started seriously following C^RT in the mid-80s. I've witnessed the rise and fall of Indy and OW racing in the US, and I'm not happy about it @ all. This 10-year temper tantrum has ruined a sport I love, and I am pizzed.

And yes, I am thankful Junky is alive to race again another day....hopefully.

-Kevin

trish
05-29-05, 09:01 PM
Do you think there's such a thing as a bad business decision? Do you think this may have been one? I'd certainly say so if Haas places any value in the Champ car championship or keeping his Champ car sponsors happy.
I never said it was a good decision. I guess it's just starting to kick in that, at the end of the day, it's not my money or my business and I don't get to have a say.

CARTNUT
05-29-05, 09:03 PM
I'm not going to break out the sack cloth and ashes and start bashing myself in the head like some lunatic.

Aw c'mon. Please? And post some pictures of it too? :p

'NUT :gomer:

dando
05-29-05, 09:05 PM
Bingo! Consider that PLN has bent over backwards to develop sponsorship opportunities, as well as greasing the rails for the purchase of the LBGP. He has also been very adamant on his disdain for FTG and the .1RL...only to have Haas do something like this to jeopardize the CCWS team. I'd like to be a fly on the wall when this is discussed between the two. :shakehead

-Kevin

TorontoWorker
05-29-05, 09:08 PM

Found this on another site. Jaques talking about what appear to be the generic IRL injury mode. Note his comments: "long and brutal" Bruno won't be OK... Well is OK anything short of death for you? :shakehead While he's an adult and can race where he likes - a little humanity wouldn't hurt...

JAQUES LAZIER: I think the biggest thing has just been the off season and the rehab that I've had to go through. It's been pretty extensive. I fractured my T11, T12 and L1 vertebras. I actually had a starburst fracture of the T12, which basically shattered and blew out. The rehab has been pretty long and brutal, so I'm very excited to be back at the racetrack.

trish
05-29-05, 09:22 PM
Found this on another site. Jaques talking about what appear to be the generic IRL injury mode. Note his comments: "long and brutal" Bruno won't be OK... Well is OK anything short of death for you? :shakehead While he's an adult and can race where he likes - a little humanity wouldn't hurt...

JAQUES LAZIER: I think the biggest thing has just been the off season and the rehab that I've had to go through. It's been pretty extensive. I fractured my T11, T12 and L1 vertebras. I actually had a starburst fracture of the T12, which basically shattered and blew out. The rehab has been pretty long and brutal, so I'm very excited to be back at the racetrack.
Outside of wishing him a full recovery, I don't know know what kind of humanity you are looking for.

Anteater
05-29-05, 09:29 PM
Wishing Bruno the best recovery possible! :( Regardless of whether he belonged at this race, I'm very sorry that this happened.

Jag_Warrior
05-29-05, 10:31 PM
Wishing Bruno the best recovery possible! :( Regardless of whether he belonged at this race, I'm very sorry that this happened.

I'd like to echo the same sentiments.

cameraman
05-29-05, 11:03 PM
There is a wide range of possibilities but there is a very good chance Junky will be out for the season.

nrc
05-29-05, 11:09 PM
There is a wide range of possibilities but there is a very good chance Junky will be out for the season.Given the typical progression of injury reports from the IRL, the fact that they've started out with two busted vertebra, and the fact that he's listed in only "fair" condition, I'd have to agree.

Get well soon, Junky.

RaceGrrl
05-29-05, 11:11 PM
The sponsors may have wanted the teams to race at Indy, but if I was CC driver, I'd be re-negotiating my contract to say that I would not be required to race there. CCWS needs to make sure that none of their drivers can participate at Indy. Can anyone say US 500?

Carl should have left when the other yen-whores did.

coolhand
05-29-05, 11:11 PM
There is a wide range of possibilities but there is a very good chance Junky will be out for the season.

I am worried its worse.

look at the wreck again and look at where his legs would be

Methanolandbrats
05-29-05, 11:16 PM
I am worried its worse.

look at the wreck again and look at where his legs would beI'm thinking Scott Pruett, that was nasty. Hopefully he'll be ok.

RaceCat
05-30-05, 12:19 AM
I guess this is the only thread to post this in....I agree with Anteater! I am so sorry that Bruno was badly hurt today and I will be praying for a full, speedy recovery for him.

I wish that this thread had taken the route of good wishes for one of our own and not the path that is appears to have taken.

My thoughts are with Bruno and his family during his surgery and recovery!

RaceCat

Hard Driver
05-30-05, 02:36 AM
1) Get Well Bruno !!!

2) Foyt did not belong out on the track, and now see what happens.

oddlycalm
05-30-05, 03:20 AM
Wishing all the best for Junkie and hoping somebody will put that idiot Quattro out of his misery (and everybody elses) as a driver. :shakehead

oc

spinner26
05-30-05, 09:59 AM
1) Get Well Bruno !!!

2) Foyt did not belong out on the track, and now see what happens.
Bruno is a grown man and he knew the consequences of his attending the bull **** parade. I doubt seriously CH made him attend.

Obviously a CCWS championship is not a priority on Bruno's list of things to do.
He may never have a chance to win one now.

Sorry, but I don't feel sorry for him. Hope he learns a lesson here.

Spicoli
05-30-05, 10:14 AM
Bruno is a grown man and he knew the consequences of his attending the bull **** parade. I doubt seriously CH made him attend.

Obviously a CCWS championship is not a priority on Bruno's list of things to do.
He may never have a chance to win one now.

Sorry, but I don't feel sorry for him. Hope he learns a lesson here.

I, reluctantly, agree. :thumbup:

Craig Hampsen is a BIG Indy proponent, and you can point some big fingers at him. Drivers are mostly dumb and daring.

Ed_Severson
05-30-05, 10:27 AM
Craig Hampsen is a BIG Indy proponent, and you can point some big fingers at him. Drivers are mostly dumb and daring.

Uh, Spic, Hampson is race engineer for Bourdais. He isn't running the team, and he certainly doesn't have any control over what Bruno does.

Amanda B.'s Mom
05-30-05, 10:42 AM
I hope Bruno fully recovers and is able to drive a Champ Car again in the future.

rabbit
05-30-05, 11:30 AM
"If we had one series, and all the Champ Car guys were here, that wouldn't have happened because he (Foyt) wouldn't have been in the race," said Bourdais, who was visibly shaken by the news of his teammate's injury. http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=9044

Methanolandbrats
05-30-05, 11:34 AM
"If we had one series, and all the Champ Car guys were here, that wouldn't have happened because he (Foyt) wouldn't have been in the race," said Bourdais, who was visibly shaken by the news of his teammate's injury.

Damn right. When the race was real, 15 guys better than UberGomer and Sammich's relatives would have loaded up and gone home after bump day. That's the reason the whole thing sucks.

Racing Truth
05-30-05, 11:52 AM
Here's the official release:

Bruno Junqueira has been diagnosed with a concussion and fractures of the T-12 and L-1 vertebras that will require surgery on Monday. He is in stable and in fair condition at Methodist Hospital.

Not from the release (but should be)

I think this proves to all concerned that Quatro has no business being out on the track period. End of story.

Yes. Eye-Vee ran out of whatever talent he had. He cost Bruno a legit shot at winning this race, but most of all, winning the Champ Car title.

IMHO, blame IV (for the wreck) and, if you want, Haas, for being there. Bad as the IRL cars are, when OW cars touch like that, **** happens.

Racing Truth
05-30-05, 11:54 AM
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=9044

Preach it SeaBass! :thumbup:

GET WELL BRUNO!

nrc
05-30-05, 12:00 PM
IMHO, blame IV (for the wreck) and, if you want, Haas, for being there. Bad as the IRL cars are, when OW cars touch like that, **** happens.Oh come on. You can't absolve the IRL of its steady stream of back injuries with a "it happens". There's a fundamental flaw in those cars and it will be a great day when they're consigned to the scrapheap of racing history.

Racing Truth
05-30-05, 12:04 PM
Oh come on. You can't absolve the IRL of its steady stream of back injuries with a "it happens". There's a fundamental flaw in those cars and it will be a great day when they're consigned to the scrapheap of racing history.

Agreed, I'm talking about THIS ONE WRECK.

With whatever injuries Larry Foyt suffered, THAT I blame on the crappy cars.

devilmaster
05-30-05, 12:33 PM
I said this in chat the other day......

We need deep throttle to do a comparision of IV vs. Shiggy..... :D

trish
05-30-05, 01:13 PM
Quote:
"If we had one series, and all the Champ Car guys were here, that wouldn't have happened because he (Foyt) wouldn't have been in the race," said Bourdais, who was visibly shaken by the news of his teammate's injury.
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=9044
Funny, I had been thinking the same thing.

lone_groover
05-30-05, 08:32 PM
I'm wid the one series concept. So let's pray for the quick but painful death of Tonholio's Gomer Grand Guignol.

KK kill it! I want to I want to see it DIE!!!!!

:flame: :mad: :flame: