PDA

View Full Version : AP offers what it thinks a merger would look like

devilmaster
05-27-05, 09:53 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/irl/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpNWEwdHMwBF9TAzk1ODYyNzM3BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-openwheel-glance&prov=ap&type=lgns

How an IRL-Champ Car merger might look
May 27, 2005

Representatives of the Indy Racing League and the Champ Car World Series have discussed a settlement of their decade-long battle for control of American open-wheel racing. If they can agree, here's how a combined series might look:

DRIVERS: There are 22 full-time drivers in the IRL, 19 in Champ Car. In a combined series, the backmarkers would get squeezed out to leave a lineup of 25-30 regulars. Tony Kanaan, Dan Wheldon, Helio Castroneves, Sam Hornish and Danica Patrick from the IRL side would get a chance to race against Champ Car stalwarts such as Sebastien Bourdais, Bruno Junqueira, Paul Tracy, Jimmy Vasser and Cristiano da Matta. Also, talented young Champ Car drivers such as 18-year-old Canadian Andrew Ranger and Americans A.J. Allmendinger and Ryan Hunter-Reay would likely find rides.

TEAMS: Nearly all IRL teams are positioned to survive, including Andretti Green Racing, Marlboro Team Penske, Rahal Letterman Racing and Chip Ganassi Racing. From the Champ Car side, Newman/Haas Racing, PKV Racing, Forsythe Championship Racing and RuSport could be expected to join a combined circuit.

ENGINES: IRL manufacturer Honda would likely stay aboard, joined by Champ Car's exclusive supplier, Cosworth. A combined series might keep Toyota around, persuade Chevrolet to reverse its decision to leave at the end of the year and draw interest from other manufactures, such as Porsche.

RACES: A point of conflict. IRL founder Tony George wants to focus on American ovals, while Champ Car favors road and street races around the world. The IRL's 17-race schedule and CART's 14-race lineup could be trimmed to the 20 strongest races -- half on ovals, half on road and street courses. To keep an international flavor, two races in Canada, two in Mexico, one in Japan and one in Australia would be retained.

FORMAT: The 50-50 split between oval and road races would allow smaller teams to specialize in one discipline instead of the entire schedule. The new series could name an oval-racing champion (pleasing George), a road-racing champ (satisfying Champ Car) and an overall winner.

Opposite Lock
05-27-05, 10:06 PM
The Porsche rumor is still alive! :cool: :thumbup: :rofl:

Methanolandbrats
05-27-05, 10:23 PM
Ya know, I just have to laugh when I read this kind of ****. I talked to FTG in person. At last years USGP I saw him in the courtyard, so I ran up to him and asked for his autograph to see what he was like. About all he said was "uhhhhhhh". I would'nt pay him three bucks to wash my car. I don't think he can "focus" on anything.

Jervis Tetch 1
05-27-05, 10:59 PM
Ya know, I just have to laugh when I read this kind of ****. I talked to FTG in person. At last years USGP I saw him in the courtyard, so I ran up to him and asked for his autograph to see what he was like. About all he said was "uhhhhhhh". I would'nt pay him three bucks to wash my car. I don't think he can "focus" on anything.Oh he focused on using the white powder many moons ago.

cameraman
05-27-05, 11:36 PM
That had better be pure horses*** made up by some dumbass stringer....

jcollins28
05-28-05, 03:21 AM
Yeah the Booger Sugar killed his brain.

Bob_S.
05-28-05, 06:08 AM
That had better be pure horses*** made up by some dumbass stringer....

This is what happens when your only Reliable Sources are a link to TF and a can of soda. :rofl:

gjc2
05-28-05, 06:56 AM
Half the races ovals, an oval champion and a road coarse champion, to make TG happy? Who cares if TG is happy?

What's wrong with some off shore races if they're profitable for Champ Car? KK and company have made it clear that the Champ Car World Series is a for profit business.

It would be great to add the I500 to the CCWS schedule but it is not necessary, especially if we had to take parts of the IRL to get it.

George

KLang
05-28-05, 08:13 AM
I really hope all this crap dies down after this weekend is over.

cart7
05-28-05, 08:23 AM
Pleasing TG? :laugh:

I'd add ovals to please fans, NOT the ol coke head who started this whole mess to begin with. It's earl team owners, manufacturers and now Tony himself that are wanting unification, the balls in their court.

FanofMario
05-28-05, 11:02 AM
Nothing is going to work until a plan exists that takes TG out of the picture. Sure don't see that in this AP deal. :rolleyes:

nrc
05-28-05, 12:34 PM
Label this one "pure speculation".

Unfortuantely Tony's tantrum has helped to kill the market for Open Wheel oval racing. There may be seven or or eight worthwhile oval events, max.

I don't believe a unification that includes Honda or Toyota will bring GM back. They just don't see enough return in the sport for the investment of competing with them. I would hope that any merger would include bringing manufacturer spending and influence under control, but that's something that will take time to sort out.