PDA

View Full Version : Sports Illustrated's lead-in to Indy

RichK
05-27-05, 06:21 PM
SI Online (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2005/05/26/indy.crashes/content.1.html?cnn=yes)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2005/05/26/indy.crashes/gallery_4_500-TOPIX.jpg

cameraman
05-27-05, 06:23 PM
They know what sells... :flame:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2005/05/26/indy.crashes/gallery_2_OBIT_FOX.jpg

F****** vultures.

Don Quixote
05-27-05, 06:29 PM
That Stan Fox pic is horrible.

theunions
05-27-05, 07:00 PM
And in case you haven't followed the thread on TF...SI earlier had a video still of Krosnoff's crash in the bunch.

Methanolandbrats
05-27-05, 07:21 PM
Stick and ball tards don't understand anything about motorsports. They should'nt even cover it. They pulled some crap like this when Senna was killed.

TKGAngel
05-27-05, 07:28 PM
SI is just wrong. But even the b2b pubs aren't immune to things like that. Machine Design's latest issue is its annual Indy 500 issue (scuse me while I barf), and the front cover of the magazine shows Danny Wheldon going for a ride in last year's 500.

Paintergeek
05-27-05, 07:38 PM
Honestly, Ive never understood what the big deal is about posting crash pictures. Its part of the sport. Its part of the thrill. Sure, We all want a clean race, but if it wasnt dangerous, there wouldnt be half as much interest. Like a high wire act. The only reason its exciting is because its dangerous and up high. If the cable were suspended just inches above the floor, who would care? I dont think fatal images should be shown, or even gruesome photos (like the zanardi images). But otherwise, these images are fascinating and show the design of the cars breakaway abilities. Luis Diaz makes the list a couple of times! And the fiery picture of Atlanta is beautiful in is momentarily still violence.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2005/05/26/indy.crashes/content.3.html

As long as Moore, Krosnoff, Brayton, Zanardi and other accidents with terrible results arent shown, then I dont see any issues at all with these images.

RacinM3
05-27-05, 07:59 PM
I guess I'll be a dissenter....even though I drive race cars....but that Stan Fox photo is pretty damn compelling.

Crashes are part of the sport. They happen. And people take photos of them.

The worst thing I've seen, though, was a few years back a FOX show had various car crash videos, and it was done very exploitively. The Krosnoff accident was part of it, and it REALLY pissed me off.

I guess it's all about the context in which the photo is presented.

cart7
05-27-05, 08:08 PM
I really wish they wouldn't show the Fox photo. Stan got permanently messed up with that wreck and I guess I'm not sure what purpose it serves though I'm sure the SI hacks that chose the photo's have no clue what they're really showing. :shakehead

cameraman
05-27-05, 08:09 PM
Like the Jeff Krosnoff picture they used in today's SI spread?

Link to SI Krosnoff shot (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2005/05/26/indy.crashes/content.11.html)

They are idiot stick & ball maggots, plain and simple.

RacinM3
05-27-05, 08:13 PM
Yep, like that one. Exactly. :mad: I wonder how those guys would feel about someone publishing pics (or weak-ass video frame-grabs) of, oh, say, their child getting killed at work?

Paintergeek
05-27-05, 08:28 PM
Like the Jeff Krosnoff picture they used in today's SI spread?

Link to SI Krosnoff shot (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2005/05/26/indy.crashes/content.11.html)

They are idiot stick & ball maggots, plain and simple.

Exactly. This is the sort that shouldnt be published, for a couple reasons. One, its fatal. Two, Its not art.....its a frame still. Many of the other pics are miraculously perfect considering the speed and violence of the item being photographed. But the pic above is pointless. It is stilled about 6 inches before the fatal blow too. That day hit me hard, as it was our team involved. The rear wing of Stefans car sat upstairs for years simply marked 'Toronto'. Not sure wha ever happened to that.

theunions
05-27-05, 08:32 PM
So they deleted it (I definitely didn't see it yesterday when I first looked, and it had been reported as gone elsewhere) and then put it back???

Actually I'm surprised they DIDN'T publish the extra-gruesome Zanardi photo they didn't hesitate to run in the print version two years ago...

Paintergeek
05-27-05, 08:43 PM
So they deleted it (I definitely didn't see it yesterday when I first looked, and it had been reported as gone elsewhere) and then put it back???

Actually I'm surprised they DIDN'T publish the extra-gruesome Zanardi photo they didn't hesitate to run in the print version two years ago...

Actually, it appears that you can only get there by direct link. You;ll notice its photo number 11 in the URL,. but if you hit 'back' in the album, you;ll go to #10....if you then hit 'next' in the album, it goes to 12. So anyone who scrolls through the album wont see it. If you change the 10 or 12 to 11 and hit 'enter, you'll get there. So they didnt eliminate it, just hid it...

TorontoWorker
05-27-05, 08:44 PM
Exactly. This is the sort that shouldnt be published, for a couple reasons. One, its fatal. Two, Its not art.....its a frame still. Many of the other pics are miraculously perfect considering the speed and violence of the item being photographed. But the pic above is pointless. It is stilled about 6 inches before the fatal blow too. That day hit me hard, as it was our team involved. The rear wing of Stefans car sat upstairs for years simply marked 'Toronto'. Not sure wha ever happened to that.

I'm long over it. I don't forget, but I don't think about it every day like I used too as I did for a year or two after. I was stationed here the year before, blue flagging. Lots of things have changed now - for the better. For that I'm happy and no longer angry.

cameraman
05-27-05, 08:44 PM
It looks like they took it off the frame loop but it is still on the server. I grabbed the link when I first saw the ad, I didn't check again today.

Yeah it is now jumping from frame 10 to frame 12.

I guess emailing the f****** *******s actually had an effect.

Methanolandbrats
05-27-05, 09:47 PM
It looks like they took it off the frame loop but it is still on the server. I grabbed the link when I first saw the ad, I didn't check again today.

Yeah it is now jumping from frame 10 to frame 12.

I guess emailing the f****** *******s actually had an effect. Ya, basketball players have heart attacks, football players snap their necks, but those aholes never run photos of them flailing around in their final moments. The problem is they understand NOTHING about motorsport, so they can't write about it, they can do nothing but publish tabloid photos.

Paintergeek
05-27-05, 10:07 PM
Ya, basketball players have heart attacks, football players snap their necks, but those aholes never run photos of them flailing around in their final moments. The problem is they understand NOTHING about motorsport, so they can't write about it, they can do nothing but publish tabloid photos.

I thought of this same thing when I posted in defense of these pictures, but then I realised that they DO show pictures of players in pain, grimacing while holding a knee, or being golf-carted off the feild. I see this quite often, and I think it is comparable in that they dont show dead players or paralyzed players, just players being beat up while doing the physical sport they choose to play. Same goes with racing.

Methanolandbrats
05-27-05, 10:15 PM
I thought of this same thing when I posted in defense of these pictures, but then I realised that they DO show pictures of players in pain, grimacing while holding a knee, or being golf-carted off the feild. I see this quite often, and I think it is comparable in that they dont show dead players or paralyzed players, just players being beat up while doing the physical sport they choose to play. Same goes with racing. Ya, you're probably right. Maybe the Krosnoff thing was an honest mistake since they don't know **** about racing.

FCYTravis
05-27-05, 10:22 PM
Stay hungry, mate.

:(

Paintergeek
05-27-05, 10:41 PM
Stay hungry, mate.

:(

Ya know, the next race, we all ran the stay0hungry stickers. When the car came back, I peeled them. I put one in my toolbox figuring Id have that forever, and put the other on the back of my Alice in Chains CD case as it was the closest thing to me. Well, the tool box is gone now (had to trade it in on my new big-dog), but the other original race-driven sticker is still on the alice in chains CD. A sad reminder every time I grab it. :(

oddlycalm
05-27-05, 10:42 PM
I wrote a tongue in cheek message to SI complaining that they hadn't run my favorite pic of Eddie Sachs getting burned alive. Those retards will probably have it in the que by tomorrow...:shakehead

scroll halfway down the page.
Eddie Sachs accident (http://www.users.qwest.net/~yarnspnr/opinions/earnhardt/earnhardt.htm)

oc

IlliniRacer
05-27-05, 11:54 PM
Just sent them my email. :flame: