PDA

View Full Version : So will the ratings...?

dando
05-27-05, 01:36 PM
Go up, go down, or remain even with last year's 497.5? The partner is doing a bang up job of promoting the today on ESPN Radio. So far Danicle has been discussed on Mike & Mike, The Herd, and now Dan Patrick. If Jackoff Arute still has a show, I'm he'll be all atwitter this evening.

Post your vote!

-Kevin

lone_groover
05-27-05, 01:46 PM
Going down like <--insert poster's name--> mom!

:thumdown:

KLang
05-27-05, 01:47 PM
I voted WGAF. If they do go up it would have to be Danica. That appears to be the only press the race is getting. On the other hand, this is not the first women to run Indy. I don't think it will make any difference.

Napoleon
05-27-05, 02:24 PM
Here is the 500's ratings history. Where do you think it ends up this year?

I say sub 4.0

1973 16.5
1974 16.4
1975 14.9
1976 17.9
1977 15.6
1978 13.4
1979 13.5
1980 13.8
1981 12.8
1982 12.3
1983 14.1
1984 12.9
1985 9.7
1986 8.8
1987 11.1
1988 8.5
1989 7.8
1990 7.4
1991 8.0
1992 9.8
1993 8.5
1994 8.3
1995 8.4
1996 6.6
1997 5.0
1998 5.5
1999 5.5
2000 5.5
2001 5.8
2002 4.8
2003 4.6
2004 4.1

KLang
05-27-05, 02:29 PM
3.7 :p

Don Quixote
05-27-05, 02:35 PM
My bet would be down close to 3.0, perhaps lower.

skaven
05-27-05, 02:43 PM
I'm a little worried that it might go up a bit. I got an email today from a friend asking about Danicle (he used to be my neighbor when we lived offa 38th street and rode bicycles). He hasn't watched in years, but thinks she's hot...

However, I'm hoping it continues to slide. Below 4.0 would be good. :D

What did they say on The Herd? :confused: Colin is a pretty funny guy.

dando
05-27-05, 05:36 PM
Laffs! I caught a commentary by Shelly Smith on ESPN Radio on the way home tonight...she proclaimed that viewers would turn on the race in record numbers to see Danicle. She then started chanting Danica! Danica! urging her sisters to watch the race and cheer her on. :laugh:

Strong is the Kool-Aid in Bristol, yes. :gomer:

-Kevin

cameraman
05-27-05, 06:20 PM
They are advertising the hell out of this race. If it does not rain the rating had better be well over 4 or ABC is going to kill themselves.

If you are looking for a laugh check out today's NY Times article on Foyt...

Jag_Warrior
05-27-05, 07:57 PM
I say up. I've heard too many of the NASCAR people at work talking about the race and Patrick.

But unless she does something spectacular, I think it will be a one time blip for this year. The novelty factor wears fast in IRL Land.

sundaydriver2
05-27-05, 08:05 PM

CART T. Katz
05-28-05, 01:00 AM
if danicle patrick-rahole makes it past lap 100 ratings will increase or stay constant.

if we are lucky enough that half the field and dpr is taken out in turn 1 death spiral commences.

note: i just said taken out, i don't want people hurt but in those cars it seems to be an unfortunate inevitibility.

Brickman
05-28-05, 01:03 AM
Ratings and "Danicamania" posts both go up. ;)

eiregosod
05-28-05, 02:33 AM

att 200k

Racing Truth
05-28-05, 12:42 PM

Heh. ;)

2 weeks ago, a 3.5 would have been my guess. Now, with Danica insanity (could not believe I saw her on Aaron Brown's show :saywhat: ), I really don't know.

nrc
05-28-05, 12:51 PM
If they can't get a boost out of the Danica hype and time change they're in dire straits. I figure the time change may be worth a few tenths, which would just about be offset by the continued downward spiral in interest. The Danica factor will have more people just looking in on the race. Whether they stick around depends on whether she's a viable story. You can bet that the network will milk it for all it's worth.

EDwardo
05-28-05, 12:52 PM
Heck, even NPR weighed in with a Danica piece Friday complete with sound bites about the spot in her trophy case for the 497.5 trophy. This was followed up by a brief explanation of the "split".

The NPR website offers an interesting history of the 500.
(there is an audio link to listen to the report)
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4669584

"...Ready to get out of the auto-racing business, Rickenbacker sold the famous rectangular-oval, 2.5-mile track in 1945. Its buyer, Anton Hulman, spent millions to upgrade the facility, dubbing the Indy 500 the "Greatest Spectacle in Racing.'' The race has been held every year since 1946."

No mention of anything involving recent history!

mexican
05-28-05, 02:26 PM
if danicle patrick-rahole makes it past lap 100 ratings will increase or stay constant.

if we are lucky enough that half the field and dpr is taken out in turn 1 death spiral commences.

note: i just said taken out, i don't want people hurt but in those cars it seems to be an unfortunate inevitibility.

I agree, a best-case scenario would be Dani (aw... I just love her) having electrical gremlins on the pace laps and not making the start

hear that? it's the collective sound of remote controls across America clicking at the same time, heck... it's chillin & grillin week on FoodTV!

stroker
05-28-05, 02:48 PM
What happens if the ratings go down even WITH the Danicle factor?

That doesn't bode well...

Sean O'Gorman
05-28-05, 04:18 PM
I thought they were going to fall but I've gotten asked so many questions about her that I know some people who normally wouldn't tune in are going to watch tomorrow.

Jag_Warrior
05-28-05, 05:11 PM
What happens if the ratings do down even WITH the Danicle factor?

That doesn't bode well...

When the CART defectors crossed over and the ratings still went down, I was very surprised.

With the HUGE amount of attention the Danica story has gotten, if the ratings go down, I think IMS management needs to call a Century 21 agent on Monday morning: there is NO hope and nothing will cure Indy's ailment. Who knows, maybe Argent will float a mortgage.

Danica is this year's Smarty Jones - even the oddsmakers in Vegas are getting interest in Indy betting that hasn't been there for a decade or so. I really believe the ratings will spike up pretty sharply.

Even though I voted "up", I'm more in the WGAF camp. Unlike many of you, I won't be watching (again). Let me know if she runs well, or comes up lame.

theunions
05-28-05, 05:12 PM
She's on the very top of the front page of today's Honolulu Star-Bulletin. By my recollection neither it nor the rival Advertiser ever did that for Danny Ongais or Jerry Unser when they were active in USAC/CART (even though they did so for Jerry when he was local and unknown and his brothers even more unknown).

I believe this is the first time either paper put racing of any kind on the front page since Big Mo did his HSP demo...in other words, not even the death of Earnhardt was "big enough."

eiregosod
05-28-05, 10:22 PM
this is the first time a chick has a genuine chance to win the Indy 500, and at her first attempt too. Who says virgins cant have good sex immediately :gomer:

Methanolandbrats
05-28-05, 10:57 PM
If they diaper her car in the first few laps, the ratings will suck. If she keeps it off the fence till late in the race, they will be higher than last year.

Napoleon
05-30-05, 05:47 AM
I am going to reverse myself and say that the ratings will go up this year. The wall to wall coverage of Danica, plus the curiosity factor is bound to have effected the ratings positively.

Racing Truth
05-30-05, 02:13 PM
Apparently, overnights of... 6.6. :saywhat:

No official link yet, just multiple TFers.

coolhand
05-30-05, 02:23 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/irl/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpNWEwdHMwBF9TAzk1ODYyNzM3BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-irl-indy500-ratings&prov=ap&type=lgns

here is where they found it

oddlycalm
05-30-05, 02:54 PM
It's a one time blip due to the Danicle media saturation. Nobody even noticed who won let alone who came in 2nd and 3rd, and next year (if there is a next year for the EARL) the month of May will feature the same empty stands it did this year with ABC airing 2hr broadcasts of babbling idiots without any on-track activity. Toyota will still be leaving and Honda will still be telling the idiot grandson that they are gone also unless he comes to his senses. Crapwagons will still be breaking backs at tracks around the country and unless Danicle actually wins one, the story will fade fast.

Ironically, it's a career killer for Danicle regardless of the eventual outcome thanks to the media circus and pro-wrestling like stigma the EARL has in serious racing circles, and if she becomes one of the unfortunate broken back legion the story will end on a very low note indeed.

oc

theunions
05-30-05, 03:03 PM
If she becomes one of the unfortunate broken back legion the story will end on a very low note indeed.

Nah - if that transpires I suspect they (IRL, the media, etc.) will treat her just like they did Kenny the last two weeks.

Poll from another version of said AP article (at MSNBC):

Will you start following IRL, Danica? (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8037271/)

As of this posting:
Yes 70%
I already do 16%
No 14%

coolhand
05-30-05, 03:04 PM
Yeeeh-haaaaaa here comes Texas, this will separate the men from the boys/girls

it will be an authentic IRL race indeed

Racing Truth
05-30-05, 03:07 PM
Nah - if that transpires I suspect they (IRL, the media, etc.) will treat her just like they did Kenny the last two weeks.

As of this posting:
Yes 70%
I already do 16%
No 14%

Good lord.

Jervis Tetch 1
05-30-05, 03:11 PM
6.6 is nothing to brag about when you used to grab double figure numbers.

Without the Danicle factor, the I*L still is the s****.

coolhand
05-30-05, 03:21 PM
why dont they ask people what league she races in, thats a real question :gomer:

Sean O'Gorman
05-30-05, 03:23 PM

As of this posting:
Yes 70%
I already do 16%
No 14%

So does anyone here still doubt me when I say that Champ Car should be North American-based so it can be focused more on building the series on the drivers, or do we have to wait for the race in China to do absolutely nothing for the sport before we can come to a conclusion?

devilmaster
05-30-05, 03:43 PM
So does anyone here still doubt me

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/legionxs/wavey.gif

Jag_Warrior
05-30-05, 04:26 PM
Apparently, overnights of... 6.6. :saywhat:

No official link yet, just multiple TFers.

Indy 500 TV Ratings Jump 40 Percent

NEW YORK (AP) - Danica Patrick's first Indianapolis 500 made for great television. ABC's broadcast on Sunday drew a 6.6 overnight rating and a 17 share, up 40 percent from last year and the highest since 1997.

Patrick, who became the first woman to hold the lead at the Indy 500, led several of the final laps before settling for fourth. The ratings during the last 15 minutes of the race spiked to 8.8/21.

Dan Wheldon passed the 23-year-old rookie with seven laps to go and coasted to his first victory at the Brickyard.

Last year's race, won by Patrick's Rahal-Letterman teammate Buddy Rice, drew a 4.7/11.

Arie Luyendyk's victory in the 1997 race, which finished on a Tuesday because of rain, drew a 7.6/19.

The rating is the percentage of all homes with TVs, whether or not they are in use. Overnight ratings measure the 55 largest TV markets in the United States, covering nearly 70 percent of the country. Share is the percentage of people actually watching TV at a time who tune in at any point during a specific program.

Each overnight rating point represents about 735,000 TV homes.

It is what it is. Rather than CCWS fans despairing over the IRL's Indy 500 one time TV success (riding on a lil girl's shoulders), imagine if people start to gain an interest in American open wheel again... even if just a little bit. But I do think this is a one shot deal (as far as a double digit jump in ratings... the next IRL race will probably see a spike too, but not 40%, IMO)... unless Danica starts tearing it up.

Seriously, does anyone here (IRL hater or not) really believe that Indy becoming less popular would be good for CCWS??? I'm not a sailor, but I'm not aware of a single case of only one end of a boat sinking. Come on folks. Let's get a grip and stay tight with reality here. Most days (especially now), I hate reality - but I cannot escape it.

nrc
05-30-05, 04:32 PM
So does anyone here still doubt me when I say that Champ Car should be North American-based so it can be focused more on building the series on the drivers, or do we have to wait for the race in China to do absolutely nothing for the sport before we can come to a conclusion?Golly SeanO. Somehow the fact that the best young American racer is running in Champ car hasn't caused a blip on the ratings radar. Where are you going to find a dozen more Danicas?

Again, there's nothing wrong with the idea. I've always said that a NA focus was the best thing from a long term growth perspective. The problem is that you don't have any ideas for paying the bills in the short term for except for someone else writing the checks.

coolhand
05-30-05, 04:38 PM
[I]It is what it is. Rather than CCWS fans despairing over the IRL's Indy 500 one time TV success (riding on a lil girl's shoulders), imagine if people start to gain an interest in American open wheel again... even if just a little bit. But I do think this is a one shot deal (as far as a double digit jump in ratings... the next IRL race will probably see a spike too, but not 40%, IMO)... unless Danica starts tearing it up.

Seriously, does anyone here (IRL hater or not) really believe that Indy becoming less popular would be good for CCWS??? I'm not a sailor, but I'm not aware of a single case of only one end of a boat sinking. Come on folks. Let's get a grip and stay tight with reality here. Most days (especially now), I hate reality - but I cannot escape it.

it danicle starts tearing it up i am sure other teams and drivers will get sick of it. The IRL can not have it both ways. Bubye to that rev limiter

racer2c
05-30-05, 04:46 PM
Danicle is more famous after four races than all of the IRL champions combined (excluding Tony Stewart). Back to building a series around one race. They would rather drink the milk than be a season long champion.

Jag_Warrior
05-30-05, 04:49 PM
it danicle starts tearing it up i am sure other teams and drivers will get sick of it. The IRL can not have it both ways. Bubye to that rev limiter

They've been trying to have it both (hell, three or four) ways for ten years. A girl who has now earned the nick Money, won't slow 'em down. If anything, the others will be told to shut up and deal with it. Honda is surely happy. George is surely happy. The ones who are cashing Honda issued yen checks will learn to be surely happy.

The IRL is run by a delusional figure. This ratings spike might give him the impression that it's not necessary to find a long term fix (I hate people like that - they make my working life pure hell). Danica mania probably won't last forever... unless she's starts posting results. If that happens, it's likely she will begin getting every day coverage from the Life Time crowd, aka Oprah's Book Club. But I think "normal" people (men & women) will also begin to sneek a peek just to see what the big deal is. Only the hardcore will know enough to criticize her, or factually defend her - ain't many of us/them around these days.

Chitowncartfreak
05-30-05, 04:49 PM
Give the .1RL a little credit for taking advantage of the gift they've been handed in the form of Danica Patrick. Yes, they had a good weekend, but let's keep the possible benefit for Champ Car in mind. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY who follows open-wheel racing casually (which was the majority of yesterday's audience) knows the difference between Champ Car and the .1RL. All they know is that it is not NASCAR. Typically, in my line of work, if one particular brand does something newsworthy and draws attention to itself, the added exposure benefits the entire product category - not just the specific brand. Champ Car can potentially get a short-term boost from this hype next week in Milwaukee (and perhaps a little longer) just through the additional emphasis on open-wheel racing in the media. And it's not costing Champ Car one lousy cent!

Remember, for every one thing that went right for the .1RL this past weekend, there are at least 5 things going wrong for that series right now.

coolhand
05-30-05, 05:24 PM
They've been trying to have it both (hell, three or four) ways for ten years. A girl who has now earned the nick Money, won't slow 'em down. If anything, the others will be told to shut up and deal with it. Honda is surely happy. George is surely happy. The ones who are cashing Honda issued yen checks will learn to be surely happy

In that case toyota, Penske and Gnassi will quitly tip toe out the door while everyone's eyes are on Danica. Noone will tell them to shut about it.

Only the hardcore will know enough to criticize her, or factually defend her - ain't many of us/them around these days.

ain't that the sad truth

fourrunner
05-30-05, 05:59 PM
The Media is fickle ... they will build you up then tear you down in a flash

Look for a few days of appearances on shows like Letterman, The Today show did her this morning, Regis & Kathy Lee, and others.

The follow up races are meaningless .. Indy is the big deal .. then she'll have to wait a year ... But by then the Press will have Danica Stories like

" Danica Not All She Was Cracked Up To Be"

" Danica caught in Love Triangle "

" Danica must be on Steroids"

" Is Danica Really a Man" ?

" IRL Drivers Have Makovers to Look Like Danica"

" Danica To NASCAR"

" Dan Wheldon Sues the IRL... Claims he Won the 2005 Indy 500"

Then Next Years Indy 500 Story ....

" Scandal Ridden Danica Forbidden From Defending Her 4th Place Finish In 2006 Indy 500"

coolhand
05-30-05, 06:03 PM
You forgot

*Danica slept her way to top with Team owner <<<true

rabbit
05-30-05, 06:18 PM
You forgot

*Danica slept her way to top with Team owner <<<true
Mere coincidence that Debi Rahal divorced Booby shortly after Danica was hired? You do the math. :gomer:

BTW - her nickname while racing in Europe was "Hoover."

Jag_Warrior
05-30-05, 08:50 PM

Actually, I've got to give her props for the Euro tour. Considering her age and her gender, that took guts. I'm guessing she had it as bad as (or worse than) Ianina Zanazzi - and she's gotten treated like crap. You put oil on a track to get my attention and I'll find you and one of us is going to get his life altered. These girls don't exactly have that psycho-tuff option. Back in school, I didn't care for snotty lil European rich boys. And with that set making up a good portion of the formula car training grounds in Europe, I can't imagine having to put up with their foolishness, especially if all they saw me being good for was a bed warmer.

I can see hacking her for where she's racing (though, that or NASCAR is probably the direction that's going to get her somewhere - sad but true). But as far as having a set, I'd fire most of the spineless, punk-@ss men I have to deal with everyday and hire women like that in a second. My problem is, once I get one twink out of the organization, they'll hire two more braindead weasels to take his place.

As a person who prefers the CCWS style of racing (and has no use for the IRL), this just comes down to separating the person from where they race to me. I've heard she's a biatch at times. I've heard she can be snotty and aloof. Not that she's in his company, but I heard similar things about Senna da Silva back in the day. Even if she just proves to be a steel kitten, I prefer people who have some backbone and fight to them - I think (unlike whiney @$$ Sarah Fisher) she's got that. She certainly seems to have that. The main problem I have (and I think the one most here have ;) ) is that Danica isn't racing under the CCWS banner. Imagine if that was "our girl" getting all that attention. And yeah, somebody tell any of the crank yankers over at Track Forum I said that. At the end of the day, the IRL is still what it was. NASCAR is still the most popular form of motorsport... and Daytona is still the most popular race in America. Like I said, reality sucks, eh?

Tony's had quite a losing streak lately. I'm not bothered that he finally has a bone to gnaw on for awhile. Think about who we're talking about here: the man who single-handedly brought down one of the greatest sports institutions in American history. He'd screw up an ice cream stand on the beach... on an 80 degree day. The first year F1 was in town, they didn't trust the Hulman crew to take care of parking. What does that tell you? All Danica does is confirm the IRL to be the one-trick pony that it is. In the end, Kalkhoven will win as the two sides continue to do battle. The problem is, they're not fighting over much ground now. And I'm afraid it'll now get worse before it gets better... for the sport. :(

lone_groover
05-30-05, 09:00 PM
Mere coincidence that Debi Rahal divorced Booby shortly after Danica was hired? You do the math. :gomer:

Can't hate the gal for busting through the glass ceiling - although in Danica's case, it was probably on a coffee table!

yuk yuk :gomer:

JLMannin
05-30-05, 10:49 PM
Indy 500 TV Ratings Jump 40 Percent

I think this is good news. Tony will give up on the reunification thing because he thinks the IRL is set for explosive growth and that will allow KK and Forsythe to go about continuing to build up Champcar without the distraction of reunification, at least until May of 2006. By then, Danica may be in NASCAR.

Brickman
05-31-05, 04:13 AM

:p :D

chop456
05-31-05, 04:47 AM
Yes, they had a good weekend, but let's keep the possible benefit for Champ Car in mind. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY who follows open-wheel racing casually (which was the majority of yesterday's audience) knows the difference between Champ Car and the .1RL. ..... Champ Car can potentially get a short-term boost from this hype next week in Milwaukee (and perhaps a little longer) just through the additional emphasis on open-wheel racing in the media.

I agree. Just think about all the non-racing people that will likely tune in to the Milwaukee race this weekend looking for a glimpse of Danica. CCWS should run a fluff piece before the race with lots of loud music, flashing lights, and pictures/video of Philippe. A good percentage of viewers would be stunned/confused enough to keep watching.