PDA

View Full Version : JLMannin's 3rd annual carb-day ticket availability report

JLMannin
05-27-05, 12:30 PM
I searched each section for the highest possible block of 2, 10, and 100 tickets. There were no blocks of 100 tickets available, so they must be doing a better job of "sprinkling" the crowd in. Here is this years report:

A Box - 2-E, 10-n/a
C stand - 2-J, 10-G to H
First turn terrace - 2-L, 10-G-H
G Stand - 2-N, 10-H-J
H Stand - 2-P, 10-N-P, 60-H-N
J Stand - 2-G, 10-E-F
NE Vista Backstretch - 2-DD, 10-AA-BB, 60-B-G
NE Vista Turn 2-H, 10-F-G
N Vista 2-X, 10-U-V, 30-U-S
NW Vista - 2-B, 10-n/a
Paddock Box - 2-E, 10-n/a
Pit Rd Terrace - 2-D, 10-C-D
SE Vista - 2-E, 10-D-E
S Terrace - 2-G, 10-E-F
S Vista - 2-W, 10-U-V, 90-B-K :eek:
SW Vista - 2-D, 10-B-D
Tower Terrace - 2-T, 10-P-N, 60-L-R

The broadcast partner had better crop in close on the crapwagons and use blur shots/wide angle shots to conceal the aluminum!

Napoleon
05-27-05, 12:36 PM
John, not like you don't have better things to do, but how does this compare with past years of your report?

JLMannin
05-27-05, 01:03 PM
John, not like you don't have better things to do, but how does this compare with past years of your report?
The 2004 report: http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4543

The 2003 report must have been on 7G. For the 2004 race, there were a few sections sold out 48 hours before the race. Not so this year. "IRL Growth" continues . . . . . :shakehead

JLMannin
05-23-08, 12:04 PM
Well, I skipped a couple of years, but here is the ticket availability report as of about 4:30 pm yesterday (stand - highest row with two side-by-side seats)

A Box - row B
A Penthouse - Sold Out
B Box - Sold Out
C Stand - Row D
E Box - Sold Out
E Penthouse - Sold Out
G Stand - Row N
H Stand - Now N
J Stand - Row E
North Vista - Row MM
Notrh Vista Back Stretch - Row MM
NE Vista Deck - Sold Out
NE Vista Turn - Row G
NW Vista - Row B
NW Vista Deck - Sold Out
Paddock - Sold Out
Paddock Box - Row C
Paddock Penthouse - Sold Out
Paddock Press Penthouse - Sold Out
Pit Road Terrace - Row C
South Terrace - Sold Out
South Vista - Row Q
S Vista Deck - Sold Out
SE Vista - Row E
SE Vista Deck - Sold Out
SW Vista - Row E
SW Vista Deck - Sold Out
Tower Terrace - Row S

Not a whole lot of change since 2005 when I last did this. The assimilitaion of Champcar has not increased ticket sales dramatically.

Pre-1996, the race was a sell-out eleven months before race day.

Napoleon
05-23-08, 04:07 PM

What, not 12 months ahead of time? Good thing Tony fixed it.

JLMannin
05-23-08, 11:49 PM
What, not 12 months ahead of time? Good thing Tony fixed it.

Ticket order forms had to be postmarked on or after the Tuesday after Memorial Day, otherwise the speedway staff tossed them. Since it was all done on paper, it took two to three weeks to process the orders, but yes you are correct, it was essentially an instant sell-out.

Napoleon
05-24-08, 05:55 AM
Ticket order forms had to be postmarked on or after the Tuesday after Memorial Day . . .

I would bring a stamp with me to the race and the last thing I would do before I left town after the race is post the order form to IMS. The good old days.

dando
05-24-08, 04:51 PM
The assimilitaion of Champcar has not increased ticket sales dramatically.

It's the economy, stupid. Or ga$ prices. Or higher food price$. Definitely not :tony:s fault.

</gomer>

:gomer: :shakehead

-Kevin

cart7
05-25-08, 10:27 AM
Ticket order forms had to be postmarked on or after the Tuesday after Memorial Day, otherwise the speedway staff tossed them. Since it was all done on paper, it took two to three weeks to process the orders, but yes you are correct, it was essentially an instant sell-out.

My first year ordering was in 80 or 81. Not knowing any better, we put in a request for a ticket order form in January. Basically we got a form back stating the race was already sold out so the next year we were prepared and sent in for the form for the next year prior to that years race. You basically got a ticket order form that already had "Sold Out" on most of the grandstands.

IMS basically knew that most of the seats would be re-upped for the next season so they didn't even make them available. Some of the crappier grandstands were available as well as the infield bleachers. Basically the idea was to get yourself in line by taking whatever tickets you could get. The first 3 or 4 years we wound up with infield bleacher seats. If you ever sat in those you know how bad they were. The fourth year we finally got onto the front straight, albeit in seats right behind a support column for the penthouse boxes up above. We moved into B stand, down by the S/F line in 89. Tower Terrace (pit lane) in 90-91, great pit action, you're REALLY close, but the sight lines for actually watching the racing are probably the worst in the house. In 92 we got J stand (T4) and I don't think I'd sit anywhere else.

2 years ago, when the first TG/KK meetings started I re-upped for tickets. It was the first time since 2002 when I let the old tickets lapse. I was very surprised to get J stand tickets on my first shot and in row Q or R. (High letter rows are good, double letter rows are even better). Now a days, if you just want to see the race for the experience, there's little reason to order tickets a year in advance. Heck, you can get quality seats from the few scalpers that are left on raceday AND at face value.

JLMannin
05-22-09, 05:41 PM
Here is the 2009 Carb Day ticket availability report. For each section, I list the highest available row with two side by side seats, with change from the 2008 availability. Plus rows means more tickets are available; minus rows means less tickets are available:

A Box - row D (Plus two rows from 2008)
A Penthouse - Sold Out (No change)
B Box - Sold Out (No Change)
C Stand - Row F (Plus three rows)
E Box - Sold Out (No Change)
E Penthouse - Sold Out (No Change)
G Stand - Row M (Minus one row)
H Stand - Now P (Plus two rows)
J Stand - Row E (No change)
North Vista - Row LL (Minus one row)
North Vista Back Stretch - Row MM (No change)
NE Vista Deck - Sold Out (No change)
NE Vista Turn - Row J (Plus three rows)
NW Vista - Row C (Plus one row)
NW Vista Deck - Sold Out (No change)
Paddock - Sold Out (No change)
Paddock Box - Row J (Plus seven rows)
Paddock Penthouse - Sold Out (No change)
Paddock Press Penthouse - Sold Out (No Change)
Pit Road Terrace - Row B (Minus one row)
South Terrace - Sold Out (No change)
South Vista - Row Y (Plus four rows)
S Vista Deck - Sold Out (Sold out)
SE Vista - Row H (Plus three rows)
SE Vista Deck - Sold Out (No change)
SW Vista - Row G (Plus two rows)
SW Vista Deck - Sold Out (Sold out)
Tower Terrace - Row W (Plus four rows)

All around the track, slightly fewer seats have been sold as compared to 2008, and no additional sections have joined the sold out list since last year.

Well, I skipped a couple of years, but here is the ticket availability report as of about 4:30 pm yesterday (stand - highest row with two side-by-side seats)

A Box - row B
A Penthouse - Sold Out
B Box - Sold Out
C Stand - Row D
E Box - Sold Out
E Penthouse - Sold Out
G Stand - Row N
H Stand - Now N
J Stand - Row E
North Vista - Row MM
Notrh Vista Back Stretch - Row MM
NE Vista Deck - Sold Out
NE Vista Turn - Row G
NW Vista - Row B
NW Vista Deck - Sold Out
Paddock - Sold Out
Paddock Box - Row C
Paddock Penthouse - Sold Out
Paddock Press Penthouse - Sold Out
Pit Road Terrace - Row C
South Terrace - Sold Out
South Vista - Row Q
S Vista Deck - Sold Out
SE Vista - Row E
SE Vista Deck - Sold Out
SW Vista - Row E
SW Vista Deck - Sold Out
Tower Terrace - Row S

Not a whole lot of change since 2005 when I last did this. The assimilitaion of Champcar has not increased ticket sales dramatically.

cameraman
05-23-09, 01:24 AM
Here is the 2009 Carb Day ticket availability report.

That is one strange hobby you have there:saywhat:

Napoleon
05-23-09, 08:08 AM
Well somebody has to say it, good thing Tony George saved the Indy 500 from CART.

JLMannin
05-23-09, 05:45 PM
That is one strange hobby you have there:saywhat:

If I do it for enough consecutive years, it will become a tradition :tony:

I went to the 500 Festival parade today - it was a pretty good parade. I was amused when Sara Fisher received a more vigorous crowd response than Morticia Adams. Now I wish I had went to the 500 parade back when the race meant something to me.

In a few minutes, I'm off to ORP to see the USAC silver Crown cars - first time in three decades or so I have went to see Silver Crown cars.

trish
05-24-09, 02:23 PM
OT

Happy Birthday!

opinionated ow
05-24-09, 08:16 PM
In a few minutes, I'm off to ORP to see the USAC silver Crown cars - first time in three decades or so I have went to see Silver Crown cars.

You'd have been somewhat disappointed then...Midgets run the Night before the 500...