PDA

View Full Version : Will it or won't it?

Racing Truth
05-26-05, 03:00 PM
A merger that is. Will it happen or not? I'm thinking by '07 it will.

RichK
05-26-05, 03:02 PM
It will, but not many will care or notice.

racer2c
05-26-05, 03:11 PM
Yes and diffinitly for '07.

coolhand
05-26-05, 03:16 PM
I said yes assuming they merge or one series folds and dissolves into the other

KLang
05-26-05, 03:20 PM
I voted no. FTG is too dumb/stubborn to give up.

If it does happen and FTG is anything more then a simple track owner, I'm finished as a fan.

lone_groover
05-26-05, 03:24 PM
I voted : NAY

:thumdown:

SteveH
05-26-05, 03:24 PM
The only reason that merger is now being discussed as an alterntive is that the press and the IRL have come to realize that Champ Car is going to be getting stronger in the future. Long ways to go, but look at where the series was 16 months ago and compare that to where it is today. The ownership of Cosworth and LBGP are huge.

Before merger talks were not taken seriously as the general feeling was that CART/Champ Car would fail and cease to exist. Then walked in KK and GF. :thumbup:

No merger, lets see how strong the series can be. Give it five years.

Warlock!
05-26-05, 03:26 PM
hope not

sundaydriver2
05-26-05, 03:28 PM
Voted no.

I don't want anything the Earl has.

Racing Truth
05-26-05, 03:35 PM
Voted no.

I don't want anything the Earl has.

Not the question. WILL it happen?

cameraman
05-26-05, 03:38 PM
Only if KK & GF buy the remains at a bankruptcy hearing.

And even then I hope they don't do it.

If they want to run an oval they can rent one right now and do it without the trackforum baggage...

tllips
05-26-05, 03:41 PM
I voted NO.

They've been close before. Everyone thought the tire companies could get it done, they couldn't. Why should Honda be able to get it done.

The only light I see new to this tunnel is that FTG actually acknowledged one series would be better.

oddlycalm
05-26-05, 03:57 PM
We've certainly been here before multiple times, and every time before the Idiot In Indiana has managed to screw the pooch. Hard to teach an old moron new tricks.

oc

Methanolandbrats
05-26-05, 04:09 PM
I think this time is different and his family, the chamber of commerce, some of his oldest friends, sponsors, car makers and racing suppliers are all taking turns stomping his balls.

Andrew Longman
05-26-05, 04:13 PM
Depending on what you mean by merge.

My prediction is that both series are headed for change. The IRL will have the most change. Very little of the current components of the IRL will remain and those that do will be part of CCWS. Whether it's still called CCWS I don't know but I suspect and hope it will. I think TG will have some part of it, but in an unimportant, if highly visible role.

Whatever they case, I think Champcar fans will be happy and much happier than IRL fans.

devilmaster
05-26-05, 04:13 PM
I think this time is different and his family, the chamber of commerce, some of his oldest friends, sponsors, car makers and racing suppliers are all taking turns stomping his balls.

Is there a lineup and 'take a number' cards for this? I want in on the action....

I voted no. TG - more money than brains, and tons of things can happen before 07.

Napoleon
05-26-05, 04:43 PM

Something that has struck me is that that in the last couple of years when in a situation where TG could simply outbid others, he has not, which makes me wonder if his family at a certain point simply told him he has to run in the black. I am still amazed he did not pay what ever it took to get CART's assets.

JLMannin
05-26-05, 05:19 PM
I voted no. TG is too arrogant to admit that he was wrong. Merger in his eyes is him buying Champcar to cherry pick its valueable assets then shutting it down.

Spicoli
05-26-05, 05:29 PM
Something that has struck me is that that in the last couple of years when in a situation where TG could simply outbid others, he has not, which makes me wonder if his family at a certain point simply told him he has to run in the black. I am still amazed he did not pay what ever it took to get CART's assets.

no. He's just that ****ing stoopid.

Turn7
05-26-05, 05:34 PM
Tonholio will "sale" the league to the Frances before he ever considers any sort of merger or reconcilliation with Champ Car.

Imo

racer2c
05-26-05, 05:36 PM

Right. I just read Bruton Smith offered to drop $50mill of his own money to build a monorail if NASCAR puts their hall o' fame in Charlotte.
Tony has resources, but mommy won't him spend it.

Ozarkian
05-26-05, 05:43 PM

I agree - I would have voted no, but something seems to have changed. It will be interesting to find out what.

Hopefully the stomping is particularly painful ...

FTG
05-26-05, 05:54 PM
Only if the family pulls the rug out from TG. No idea whether or not that will happen.

JT265
05-26-05, 06:27 PM
Tonholio will "sale" the league to the Frances before he ever considers any sort of merger or reconcilliation with Champ Car.

Imo

I understand that, but why would the Frances buy the lEEEEEEEEEg? Unless it comes with IMS that is.

Turn7
05-26-05, 06:48 PM
That is why I put it in quotes.

Basically saying that he would give it away to the Frances to disband it rather than ever admitting defeat or that he was at fault/wrong for going down that path in the first place.

sundaydriver2
05-26-05, 07:40 PM
Not the question. WILL it happen?

Thanks for the news flash. :rolleyes:

I understood your question from the start, I just gave an opinion with it.

dando
05-26-05, 07:55 PM
Where's the WGAF choice? :gomer:

IMHO, there will eventually be a merger...likely in '07.

-Kevin

pkvracing12
05-26-05, 09:27 PM
I voted no. Tony George is an idiot, and will not give in. The only way its happening if either CCWS dies od IRL.

Hot Rod Otis
05-26-05, 11:10 PM
I voted no. IMO, this is just a replay of the summer of 1999. Anton is gonna jerk everybody's chain, get everybodys hopes up and then at the last minute say "Ahh, never mind". Once an *******, always an *******. :rolleyes:

Ankf00
05-26-05, 11:25 PM
no.

**** them. that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

fourrunner
05-26-05, 11:52 PM
Doubt it highly !

Tony George would have to hire "Smart Guys" to attend the meetings with Kalkoven & Forsythe for him

Jervis Tetch 1
05-27-05, 12:35 AM
no.

**** them. that's my story and I'm sticking to it.For once Ank speaks for me....and he speaks wisdom ;)

mueber
05-27-05, 08:20 AM
The Gomerville 500 may become a NASCAR event, which to be make the most sense if Boy George can not bring himself to serve the open wheel community well. It could become a Silver Crown event, but no merger will ever happen while Boy George is running the Marion County Speedway.

Now, if Mom gets rid of him…. :)

pchall
05-27-05, 10:51 AM
There will be no "merger" until the helicopter crashes. Just ask Robin Miller.

Dirty Sanchez
05-27-05, 11:30 AM
I believe it will happen.

cameraman
05-27-05, 03:50 PM
If it happens at all it will be with NASCAR or NASCAR/USAC or some other France family adventure. It won't happen with CCWS.

RTKar
05-27-05, 09:28 PM
There will be some sort of coming together IMHO with a face saving spin for both parties. Open wheel racing cannot go on like this forever, TV ratings for both series are abysmal and REAL sponsorship is lacking for each because of it. Although Champcar appears to be edging towards having the upper hand in its' position with a fundamentally sound managment team, so many fans have been lost the point is moot. Considering how long it may be before the fan base is rebuilt while Champcar moves races overseas, TV ratings may never rebound in time for paying sponsors to assume the role of funding entries.
The 500 still has some cachet and would have more so if Champcar returned. Open wheel needs a marquee event and a unified presence before the NASCAR juggernaut or it will whither away before too long.