PDA

View Full Version : KK Says IRL Can Come to LB!

racer2c
05-25-05, 10:56 AM
"..tickets go on sale next month". :)

This new article on Speed talks about the LB purchase. Check out these humorous quotes;

Fred Nation, IRL executive vice president of communications, made the following claim: "When Dover decided to sell we decided not to bid. It's the Indy Racing League policy to deal with professional race promoters, not to own and promote our own events."

Of course, Nation must have forgotten about previous IRL-promoted events at Orlando and Atlanta -- not to mention Sunday's Indianapolis 500.

Kalkhoven, who made his fortune in Silicon Valley with corporate turnarounds, agreed with Nation's assertion. Sort of. "He's (Nation) telling the truth. The IRL didn't officially make a bid, but neither did Champ Car," he chuckled. "It was made by Gerry and myself and our new company (Aquarium Asset Management)."

It doesn't sound as if KK is in the mood for any capitulation towards Tony and his lackies.

Link (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/17135/)

pchall
05-25-05, 11:26 AM
"..tickets go on sale next month". :)

This new article on Speed talks about the LB purchase. Check out these humorous quotes;

It doesn't sound as if KK is in the mood for any capitulation towards Tony and his lackies.

Link (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/17135/)

Hey, Tony can buy tickets for himself, Barnhardt, Nation, and Chitwood. No 'red hats' allowed. :p

RichK
05-25-05, 11:28 AM
Maybe Tony can show up in his cowboy hat again! :laugh:

nrc
05-25-05, 11:32 AM
You read it here first. :)
http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showpost.php?p=95352&postcount=26

Remember this the next time some lemming quotes Tony or his cronies on what they did or didn't do. They're liars. Bagdad Fred Nation flat out lies and the press just takes it as fact. Miller points out the truth of the situation and they'll call him biased.

Don Quixote
05-25-05, 11:39 AM

Remember this the next time some lemming quotes Tony or his cronies on what they did or didn't do. They're liars. Bagdad Fred Nation flat out lies and the press just takes it as fact. Miller points out the truth of the situation and they'll call him biased.
Turns out that Col. Mustard was using piano wire, rather than rope. :p

Spicoli
05-25-05, 11:48 AM

No chitwood. :lol:

Seriously, the koolaid is quite strong here this weekend.

But do not kid yourself, there is BIGGIE trubble in gomerville, and "re-unification" is on everyone's tongue here. Its hotter than ever.

SurfaceUnits
05-25-05, 05:13 PM
Nothing like one of them entaleckshul gomers doing some speckulating:

Let me throw another idea out here.

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to see the SC Toyota Dealers now get the "call" from the Toyota powers that be instructing them to pull their sponsorship of the event. And my thinking has nothing to do with the IRL in any way.

It does have to do with the one open wheel series Toyota is involved with, and seems to have no plans of leaving, that really matters...Formula 1.

Toyo spends a reported $450M a year there, second only to the red pony. The owner of one of their primary engine competitors in F1 now owns the LBGP, a race to which they attach their name.

Remember when Toyota was set to offer CART teams a NA engine, and many CART fans were unhappy because they were afraid selling CART NA engines could provide funds that Toyota would use to underwrite their IRL effort? This is kind of the same thing here. Any financial succes KK has with the LBGP could provide funding that could be routed to Cossy to better compete with Toyota in F1. I don't think Toyota is going to allow their dealers to help insure that event is profitable.

That's pretty convoluted, certainly, but the whole F1 mess is pretty convoluted. In an F1 sort of way, it just makes sense to me. :rofl:
PS When's the last time a gomer ever suggested that CC made any money, anywhere?

RacinM3
05-25-05, 05:58 PM
Any financial succes KK has with the LBGP could provide funding that could be routed to Cossy to better compete with Toyota in F1. I don't think Toyota is going to allow their dealers to help insure that event is profitable.

Let me see if I get this. Toyota fears the LBGP is going to generate enough money to make Cosworth competitive with Toyota in F1. Toyota spends $450 million in F1 (?) annually. KK bought the LBGP lock, stock and barrel for $15 million.

That's some funny :gomer: :gomer: maythumatecks.

The owner of one of their primary engine competitors in F1 now owns the LBGP

That's funny, too. Where do you think Cosworth ranks on Toyota's "primary engine competitors" list in F1 right now amongst Honda, Ferrari, BMW, Mercedes, and Renault?

Seriously, that post had to be a joke.

coolhand
05-25-05, 06:36 PM
"convuluted" he dropped that twice in two sentances in his post. Must mean he is smart.

Convuluted describes his post :gomer:

pchall
05-25-05, 09:21 PM
Turns out that Col. Mustard was using piano wire, rather than rope. :p

Damn. I put my money on the wrench. :cry:

Winston Wolfe
05-26-05, 01:31 AM
Did yous guys read the part about where KK brought up some of the LB folks to his house in the Bay area to have dinner with PLN and he flew them up on his private jet ?????

quote:
""I think the turning point was the success of Long Beach this year and the support of the Long Beach city council," said Kalkhoven, who earlier this year flew members of the Long Beach City Council to his home in San Jose for dinner with Paul Newman. "Obviously, it's a good day for Champ Car and its fans and I'm happy we can continue this great tradition."

KK is a pretty smart dude, and deserves some props for that one !!! :D

This guy owns Cozzie, Pi and LBGPA. :thumbup:

And there are some who think CCWS should allow TG an opportunity to assist in future decisions of OWRS in the USA and NAFTA ????

TG should be allowed to fill water glasses in a corporate boardroom that KK and his fellas are making decision in.....

FTG ~~~ and his minions !!!! :flame:

Skater_36
05-26-05, 08:14 AM
Nothing like one of them entaleckshul gomers doing some speckulating:

:rofl:
PS When's the last time a gomer ever suggested that CC made any money, anywhere?

The guy that posted that also guaranteed that LB would be an IRL race next year. He's not in touch with the real world.

SurfaceUnits
05-26-05, 11:01 AM
It's all over but the waiting.

Aquarium Asset Management LLC is shipping $15 million in cash to Dover Motorsports Inc., buying the Long Beach Grand Prix and keeping that annual street race on the Champ Car World Series schedule.

Dover Motorsports president Denis McGlynn is happy. Grand Prix president Jim Michaelian is happy. Champ Car principals Kevin Kalkhoven and Gerald Forsythe are happy and so, one would surmise, are the series' teams and the fans who circulated Internet petitions and otherwise expressed their desire to see the status quo maintained in the shadow of the Convention Center.

There are two groups that haven't been heard from yet. The first is the Long Beach City Council, which has a contract with the Grand Prix Association that extends through 2010 and must approve the sale before it can be finalized. The second is Toyota Motorsports USA, which has sponsored the race since its inception in 1975. Since when has TMUSA sponsored the race? And since the toyota dealers contract is up, what motor company does CC owe a greater loyalty to?

http://www.pe.com/sports/motorsports/stories/PE_Sports_Local_D_m_column_26.5800d.html

cameraman
05-26-05, 12:17 PM
Since when has TMUSA sponsored the race? And since the toyota dealers contract is up, what motor company does CC owe a greater loyalty to?

They have always sponsored the race. This is mostly the CA Toyota dealers, they have worked their asses off to make the race a success. Champ Car fans owe those folks alot. That is one of the best run races on the planet. Between the sponsors lead by Toyota, the C300 and the LBGP management team they do an amazing job. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
KK will keep them if at all possible.

Peter Venkman
05-26-05, 12:29 PM
'FTG ~~~ and his minions !!!!"

Actually, the spelling is "morons".

RichK
05-26-05, 12:50 PM
Between the sponsors lead by Toyota, the C300 and the LBGP management team they do an amazing job. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Very true.

skaven
05-26-05, 02:11 PM
'FTG ~~~ and his minions !!!!"

Actually, the spelling is "morons".

I thought it was spelled "maroons" around here. :gomer:

Winston Wolfe
05-26-05, 06:46 PM
Very true.

I believe the race is "brought to you by your Southern CA Toyota Dealers", which is an advertising association comprised of all of the LA Basin dealerships which generates its revenue by having an addendum on each Toyota product which is sold in the Greater LA area.
SoCal Toyota Dealers have been the major sponsor of the race for years, and used it to tie in with Toyota Motor Sales USA to promote their products well before they entered the CART sanctioned race.
The celebrity race has been an annual rite of passage for Spring on the streets of LB, and pace cars, signage, radio ads, billboards, and TV spots are everywhere beginning about 6-8 weeks prior to the race.
Toyota Dealers are 100% behind the race, and many of them dont even know that Toyota powered vehicles are not even featured in the race itself !!!!
Keep 'em as a sponsor.

SurfaceUnits
05-26-05, 07:27 PM
Toyota Motor Sales is not the same as Toyota Motorsports USA

Jervis Tetch 1
05-27-05, 12:38 AM
Long Beach doesn't have a dunk tank full of Kool-Aid big enough for Anton and his henchmen.