PDA

View Full Version : IRL/IPS driver crossing over?

CHAMPCARS4EVER
05-25-05, 09:59 AM
Marxie seems to think there's either an EARL or crIPS driver about to cross over to CCWS. Can't imagine any crIPS driver ready to make such a large move up to Champcar...maybe going to Atlantics?? Anyone have any insider info to scoop AR1?

Don Quixote
05-25-05, 10:05 AM
Maybe Justin Timberlake is making a galliant return to big time racing. :gomer:

dando
05-25-05, 10:20 AM
That was Darwin Award honorable mention Jason Priestly.

-Kevin

dando
05-25-05, 10:22 AM
Thanks dlckwad ;) Saw it last week, but since nothing came of it, I figured it was a bunch of BS. Also didn't see a thread here about it. This morning, he says an announcement coming before this weekend.
Chippy for a rook. :laugh: There's a thread on .1RL team xossing over in the Other Racing Forum. I believe there's a poll in it, and Hemelgarn was the odds on favorite. If so, now that his ride buyer is laid up, I'm not sure if that will impact ol' Ron's plans.

-Kevin

Don Quixote
05-25-05, 10:54 AM
That was Darwin Award honorable mention Jason Priestly.
-Kevin
Oh yea, I get them mixed up.

Spicoli
05-25-05, 11:29 AM

Doodles: That was Jason "biff" Priestly.

Spicoli
05-25-05, 11:30 AM
Chippy for a rook. :laugh: There's a thread on .1RL team xossing over in the Other Racing Forum. I believe there's a poll in it, and Hemelgarn was the odds on favorite. If so, now that his ride buyer is laid up, I'm not sure if that will impact ol' Ron's plans.

-Kevin

somweone coming from MIPS. That is all.

cameraman
05-25-05, 12:30 PM

That ain't exactly a long list of people to choose from. Does anyone actually expect to see Marco Andretti in the Atlantics?

trauma1
05-25-05, 12:50 PM
it's not Marco, no way does FMA let his kid come to champ car, to much yen.

dando
05-25-05, 12:59 PM
Marty Roth? :gomer:

-Kevin

Spicoli
05-25-05, 01:05 PM
Marty Roth? :gomer:

-Kevin

nope. He's crossed over everything but the finish line.

extramundane
05-25-05, 01:21 PM
My bet's on either Wheldon or Helio.

Wait, you said "crossing over" not "crossdressing."

Never mind.

coolhand
05-25-05, 01:21 PM
if its a MIPS driver then WGAF? :thumdown:

Tim
05-25-05, 01:36 PM
It would be cool if it was Phil Giebler.

cameraman
05-25-05, 01:39 PM
if its a MIPS driver then WGAF? :thumdown:

Yeah the Atlantic field is soooo huge that they couldn't possibly use another team :rolleyes:

nrc
05-25-05, 01:50 PM
My guess is Jay Drake. :gomer:

It's probably just someone picking up a few races in the Jensen seat for the cost of their IPS ride. I don't even know who runs there but looking at the latest entry list we could do worse than having Chris Festa or Jeff Simmons fill the Jenson seat.

cart7
05-25-05, 01:50 PM
Arie Jr. He's got some money in his pocket.

coolhand
05-25-05, 01:51 PM
Yeah the Atlantic field is soooo huge that they couldn't possibly use another team :rolleyes:

not a big deal, atlantics is going to be reformulated soon anyway. This is not a big victory over EARL like people are making it out to be.

Gnam
05-25-05, 01:52 PM
MIPS drivers/teams:

Mishael Abbott - Hemelgarn 91 Johnson Motorsports
Marco Andretti - Andretti Green Racing
Nick Bussell - J.L. West Motorsports
Jaime Camara - Sam Schmidt Motorsports
Cole Carter - American Revolution Racing
James Chesson - Genoa Racing
P.J. Chesson - Genoa Racing
Wade Cunningham - Brian Stewart Racing
Jay Drake - Vision Racing
Chris Festa - Sam Schmidt Motorsports
Taylor Fletcher - Bullet-Team Motorsports
Travis Gregg - Sam Schmidt Motorsports
Jon Herb - Racing Professionals
Arie Luyendyk Jr. - AFS Racing
Jesse Mason - Brian Stewart Racing
Scott Mayer - Sam Schmidt Motorsports
Rocky Moran Jr. - AFS Racing
Rolando Quintanilla - Roquin Motorsports
German Quiroga - Kenn Hardley Racing
Marty Roth - Roth Racing
Jeff Simmons - Kenn Hardley Racing
Al Unser - Brian Stewart Racing

Is it just the driver or will the whole team defect? If the team goes too, I'd put money on Chris Festa. Maybe daddy thinks the roundy-rounds are too dangerous for junior. BWTFDIK. :rolleyes:

sundaydriver2
05-25-05, 01:58 PM
Mmmm maybe, Al Unser - Brian Stewart Racing

JoeBob
05-25-05, 02:03 PM
Sounds like little more than a ploy from Miss Cleo to build his subscription base.

Tim
05-25-05, 02:03 PM
Chris Festa? I hope not. Anyone else remember him getting smoked by Danica and most of the Atlantic field.

theunions
05-25-05, 02:09 PM
It would be cool if it was Phil Giebler.

:thumbup:

Spicoli
05-25-05, 02:34 PM

http://www.bingonews.info/files/en/cnt/41b073f32129e.jpg

Maybe. ;)

dando
05-25-05, 03:19 PM
That was the only name other than Marco that jumped out to me as well.

-Kevin

theunions
05-25-05, 03:53 PM
That might explain why, in yesterday's SportsCenter from Indy show featuring the Unsers, Bobby, Al Sr. and even Al Jr. (who had been conspicuously AWOL all month) appeared as guests, but Just Al was nowhere to be found (even though he and Al Sr. both did the interview with Jamie Little on Bump Day)...

Dr. Corkski
05-25-05, 03:59 PM
Oh come on, no one wants to see Jon Herb? :gomer:

Spicoli
05-25-05, 04:44 PM
Not that hard to figger out kids, there's a thread a mile long about it on marxieForum.

Racing Truth
05-25-05, 04:55 PM
Not that hard to figger out kids, there's a thread a mile long about it on marxieForum.

If I wanted unfounded gossip, I'd buy tabloids. :gomer:

Spicoli
05-25-05, 05:16 PM
If I wanted unfounded gossip, I'd buy tabloids. :gomer:

:D

coolhand
05-25-05, 06:34 PM

if not MIPS its

enge
Shecker
Manning

if MIPS

Unser

Ankf00
05-25-05, 08:18 PM
"seeing all these cars lined up engines revving, I can only think of one word... BOOYAH!"

:rofl:

what a ****ing tool :laugh:

coolhand
05-25-05, 08:33 PM
"seeing all these cars lined up engines revving, I can only think of one word... BOOYAH!"

what a ****ing tool :laugh:

who said that?

JoeBob
05-26-05, 01:01 PM
There's some talk that both Al Unser and Marco Andretti will run in some Toyota Atlantic races this season.

G.
05-26-05, 01:19 PM
<snip>Marco Andretti will run in some Toyota Atlantic races this season.I find that VERY hard to believe, after Hinton's column.

Jervis Tetch 1
05-27-05, 12:40 AM
What's this?! Rocky Moran Jr.?!? Has he forsaken the Atlantic Series? :confused:

Amanda B.'s Mom
05-27-05, 01:41 AM
Rocky has been on again off again in the Atlantic series. He is alot like Memo, does what he can to be in a race car.

My guess would be marco, as Mario still supports Champ cars.

Shadow
05-27-05, 07:52 PM
Unser jumped from IPS to FA.

SurfaceUnits
05-27-05, 09:34 PM
Al Unser III quits the IRL for Champ Car
by Mark Cipolloni
In an AutoRacing1.com exclusive, the great Unser name is returning to Champ Car where the entire Unser family has had all its success. Al Unser III, son of Al Unser Jr., grandson of Al Unser Sr. and nephew of Bobby Unser has left the IRL's IPS series after finishing third today at Indy (later demoted to 4th by the IRL after they found he was leaving) and will drive in the Champ Car Toyota Atlantic Series effective immediately. Unser will be sponsored by Bospoker.com.

Dr. Corkski
05-27-05, 09:37 PM
Big deal, Just Al didn't show anything in his two Atlantic races last year. :gomer:

Tim
05-27-05, 09:42 PM
Think he can get better weed than his dad? :D

Methanolandbrats
05-27-05, 09:43 PM
Big deal, Just Al didn't show anything in his two Atlantic races last year. :gomer:Ya, but it brings a name to Champcar that at least more than 10,000 people have heard of. I say bring it.

pkvracing12
05-27-05, 10:34 PM
Nope vision racing. Just kidding!!

cameraman
05-28-05, 12:50 AM
Unser will be sponsored by Bospoker.com.

Sponsored by an online sports betting site?

theunions
05-28-05, 01:19 AM
Sponsored by an online sports betting site?

Yup...and supposedly not "good enough" for TG and company, hence the car Just Al raced today (and at St. Pete) had bare sidepods...

Dr. Corkski
05-28-05, 02:09 AM
Ya, but it brings a name to Champcar that at least more than 10,000 people have heard of. I say bring it.Like the Koreans and South Africans would care. :gomer:

cameraman
05-28-05, 02:09 AM
Yup...and supposedly not "good enough" for TG and company, hence the car Just Al raced today (and at St. Pete) had bare sidepods...

Well the parent company of Bospoker take bets on Champ Car races but not on TA races. If they took them on TA races I would assume the powers that be would not be too happy.

Racing Truth
05-28-05, 02:49 PM
In a STUNNING turn of events, Mark C. is now backing away from this a bit.

:gomer: :gomer: :gomer:

swift
05-29-05, 10:30 AM
at '04 long beach, "Just Al" said he would have preferred a year or two more in barber dodge before tackling atlantics.

i think he did 4 races (LB, denver, montreal, RA). was more likely to be in Jensen's mirrors than Fogarty's or Diazel's.

Winston Wolfe
05-29-05, 11:58 AM
Like the Koreans and South Africans would care. :gomer:

Hater. :gomer:

G.
06-14-05, 01:21 PM
Announcement today at 3 PM EST.

cameraman
06-14-05, 03:04 PM
The press release

None of these guys drove MIPS this year tho'

INDIANAPOLIS (June 14, 2005) - Portland International Raceway has always been one of the most popular venues among drivers and teams on the Toyota Atlantic Championship Presented by Yokohama schedule. Whether it's the excitement of racing through the famed Festival Curves or the tremendous support of the faithful Portland fans, PIR is certainly a favorite among many series competitors. The thrill of racing in Portland will be shared by more drivers and teams this weekend as it was announced today that three new teams will join the Atlantic field for the G.I. Joe's Presents the Champ Car Grand Prix of Portland Toyota Atlantic doubleheader, June 17-19 at PIR.

All three squads - Mathiasen Motorsports, Bite Racing and Blackjack Racing - will be making their Toyota Atlantic debut this weekend as the series will host Rounds 3 and 4 of the '05 schedule at the 1.969-mile PIR road course.

Mathiasen Motorsports, based in Van Nuys California, will compete in the C2 Atlantic category beginning with this weekend's races. The team will feature the #15 entry driven by 26-year-old California racer Justin Sofio and includes sponsorship from RLM Investments, the company owned and operated by team owner Ray Mathiasen. Driving for Binder Racing, Sofio captured the C2 victory at the last two Toyota Atlantic events in Long Beach, including a fifth-place overall finish this season.

"I'm really stoked about racing at Portland and we'll run there and see what else we can do," said Sofio, who hopes to compete in several more events this season while vying for the Yokohama Tire C2 Cup. "Hopefully we're successful and we can win the C2 Championship and build with the team for next season."

Chris Souliotis, a dentist from British Columbia, Canada who raced in the Atlantic series last season at Vancouver, is the driving force behind Bite Racing. After finishing ninth in his series debut in his hometown last season, Souliotis returns as an owner/driver this year and will run the #56 Speedway Motors car for the team at Portland. Another doctor from British Columbia, Daryl Leiski, will pilot a second entry for Bite Racing. The emergency room physician will drive the #63 car in the C2 class at Portland.

Blackjack Racing, located in Reno, Nevada, also joins Atlantics this weekend. Roger Glover is the owner of the team as well as its driver and while he may be new to Atlantics, he's no stranger to motorsports. Glover is a 30-year racing veteran who competed in high-speed boat racing for 20 years before finding success on dry land in the SCCA Formula Atlantic ranks over the last several seasons.

One of 2005's top Atlantic teams will also have a new addition this weekend. Condor Motorsports, which leads the series championship chase with rookie sensation Charles Zwolsman after two rounds of competition in '05, will field a second entry in the Portland events with Ontario native Tim Hauraney behind the wheel. After competing for the last several seasons with the Condor team in the North American Formula Renault series, the 23-year-old Hauraney will get his first taste of Atlantic competition with a familiar team as he'll line up in the #31 Enerlog Systems Inc. entry in the C2 class at PIR.

After two productive races to start the season, Atlantic owner/driver Mark Ishikakawa (#71 Bay TSP) has also announced that he plans to compete in every series event this season. Ishikawa, who originally announced that his team - Ishikawa Racing Group - would run a limited schedule in 2005, enters this weekend ranked second in the Yokohama Tire C2 Cup standings with 50 points, trailing only category leader Dan Cobb by four markers heading into the weekend.

In all, series officials expect a season-high 21 entries for this weekend's Atlantic races in Portland. Over $200,000 in prize money will be on the line as the Atlantic series prepares for its second consecutive season of doubleheader weekend racing in Portland. Both races will aired on tape-delay on SPEED Channel beginning at 2 p.m. ET on Saturday, June 25.

cameraman
06-14-05, 03:39 PM
Two press releases at 3 PM, sneeky devils...

Al Unser III Returns to Toyota Atlantic Championship with Brooks Associates Racing and New Sponsors Bospoker and PKV Racing
INDIANAPOLIS (June 14, 2005) - He will have a new look and some exciting new sponsors but one of the most established and respected names in auto racing is coming home to a familiar place in the Toyota Atlantic Championship Presented by Yokohama with today's announcement that Al Unser III, son of legendary racer Al Unser Jr. and grandson of racing icon Al Unser, is returning to compete in the series with the Brooks Associates Racing team.

Unser, or "Just Al" as he's come to be known in the racing world, will join the Brooks squad beginning with Rounds 3 and 4 of the 2005 Toyota Atlantic Championship, June 18-19 at Portland International Raceway. The 22-year-old racer will compete in the #10 entry for the remainder of the Atlantic season. The primary sponsor for Unser's car will be BOSPoker.net - a new entertainment-only gaming website hosted by BETonSPORTS PLC, which has been in service for over 10 years and is a publicly-traded company on the London Stock Exchange. PKV Racing of the Champ Car World Series will be an associate sponsor on Unser's 240-HP Atlantic machine.

Last season Unser made his Toyota Atlantic debut, running in four of the 12 events on the series calendar. He competed for P-1 Racing at Long Beach before joining the Brooks team for three consecutive events at Road America, Denver and Montreal. His top finish came in his final start of the season when he earned an eighth-place result at Montreal's Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve.

"I'm really excited to be back racing in Toyota Atlantics with my new on-line sponsor BOSPoker and with PKV Racing," said Al Unser III. "It's going to be great working with Brooks Associates Racing again. (Team engineer) Peter Jacobs is very smart and we got along really well last year and (owner) John Brooks does a great job with the team. I'm just looking forward to some good racing and some tough competition."

In addition to his limited action in Atlantics last season, Unser also competed in the Infiniti Pro Series. He finished eighth in the final 2004 standings and ranked seventh in the series rundown this season after four events. He ran in the Barber Dodge Pro Series in 2003, earning a 12th-place finish in the championship. Unser was also named Rookie of the Year in the Skip Barber Western Racing Series in 2002 and he finished seventh in the Formula Dodge National Championship that year as well.

The return to the Toyota Atlantic Championship represents a homecoming for Unser, whose father competed in the series in 1982. Al Unser III will also make his first Atlantic start of 2005 at the same track where his dad earned his first Champ Car win in 1984 - Portland International Raceway, where he will compete in the Atlantic doubleheader event this weekend.

BOSPoker will also make its series debut at Portland this week, but not just as Unser's chief sponsor. The company's primary online poker website - BOSPoker.com - will serve as the presenting sponsor at several Toyota Atlantic races this season including events in Portland, Cleveland, Denver and Road America.

"BoSPOKER.com is excited to partner with a great young driver like Al Unser III and we look forward to being a part of him continuing the family success in open wheel racing. BoSPOKER is also pleased to be a presenting sponsor in the Champ Car World Series Toyota Atlantic Championship for four events, beginning with this weekend's races in Portland," said David Carruthers, CEO of BETonSPORTS PLC and BoSPOKER. "Partnering with Al III, Champ Car and various charities over the balance of the 2005 race season will be a great experience for BoSPOKER and race fans alike."

Through its relationship with the Unser family, BOSPoker also hopes to organize several celebrity poker events in the future with proceeds benefiting the Cody Unser First Step Foundation named for Al's younger sister who suffers from the paralyzing spinal cord disorder Transverse Myelitis.

trauma1
06-14-05, 04:23 PM
little Al was real quiet this year, in fact a no show i believe at ims. is this why?

theunions
06-14-05, 05:21 PM
little Al was real quiet this year, in fact a no show i believe at ims. is this why?

He was there for a couple of days before the 500 and appeared on the Unser family edition of SportsCenter at Indy but returned home before the IPS race for Cody's HS graduation.

Beevis
06-14-05, 05:39 PM
Is Just Al any good?

FCYTravis
06-14-05, 06:40 PM
He's no Jon Fogarty but he's no Bob Siska either. At least it's another car. Atlantics needs every one it can get.

Dr. Corkski
06-14-05, 06:43 PM
He's no Jon Fogarty but he's no Bob Siska either. At least it's another car. Atlantics needs every one it can get.There can only be one Bob Siska. :gomer:

JT265
06-14-05, 07:47 PM
There can only be one Bob Siska. :gomer:

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Wheel-Nut
06-15-05, 11:16 AM
There can only be one Bob Siska. :gomer:

True, but who here wouldn't want to drive in the Atlantic Series??

Wally
06-15-05, 12:59 PM
According to Shelly Unser the first choice was to continue earl racing. The powers that be passed because the sponser is an online gambling company. Atlantics had no problem with the sponser package.
She also mentioned she was not happy about the bashing Albert was taking on a earl fan web site.... :shakehead

Will try and post the local newpaper article.