PDA

View Full Version : RA Lap Record

stroker
05-24-05, 11:56 PM
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the Toyota Atlantic lap record is for Road America? Doesn't have to be precise...

Ed_Severson
05-25-05, 02:05 AM
2:01.278, Hoover Orsi in 2001.

EDIT: Actually, that must be the race lap record, because Ryan Dalziel is credited with a 1:59.743 to win pole last year.

stroker
05-25-05, 11:01 AM
2:01.278, Hoover Orsi in 2001.

EDIT: Actually, that must be the race lap record, because Ryan Dalziel is credited with a 1:59.743 to win pole last year.

So you're telling me the current Atlantics are as fast as Mark Donohue in the old turbo-panzer of 1972?

I'm getting too old for this...

JT265
05-26-05, 12:01 AM
So you're telling me the current Atlantics are as fast as Mark Donohue in the old turbo-panzer of 1972?

I'm getting too old for this...

I watched Empringham grab pole at Mosport with a time that was good enough for pole in the F1 race there in '76.

stroker
05-26-05, 12:12 AM
So does that tell us that continual improvements in literal speed is unnecessary for entertaining and interesting racing? If you gave me a chance to go see the F1 circus of 1976 (Hunt, Lauda) vs. today (Montoya, Schumacher) I'd take the former every time...

FCYTravis
05-26-05, 04:09 AM
So does that tell us that continual improvements in literal speed is unnecessary for entertaining and interesting racing? If you gave me a chance to go see the F1 circus of 1976 (Hunt, Lauda) vs. today (Montoya, Schumacher) I'd take the former every time...
Uh huh. Exactly.

The faster they go, the less interesting they get (to a point.) Braking distances get compressed, reaction times shorter... it becomes harder and harder to make a pass without putting both cars into the fence. Throw in hard, ultra-consistent tires, concrete canyons, self-stalling engines and spindly suspensions and you've got a recipe for follow-the-leader, caution-filled no-risk road racing.

RichK
05-26-05, 11:50 AM
Did you all catch the in-car lap of Senna at Monaco last weekend (during the '05 Monaco race)? THAT era of cars looked really difficult to drive quickly. You could really tell that Senna was hanging it out there.

As soon as they showed a modern car from the in-car view, the difference was dramatic.