PDA

View Full Version : Home security systems

nrc
05-22-05, 06:59 PM
Anyone have advise to share on security systems?

The one bad apple in our neighborhood has been evicted. The trouble with that is that now we're concerned that his scummy friends will see our neighborhood as fair game for burglaries. As if right on cue our neighbor across the street was broken into during the day last week. They cut the power and phone lines and took some stuff, including her washing machine, in broad daylight.

They had an ADT monitored alarm system, but with no power or phone line it didn't help. Is there any defense against that besides just a battery backed up outside siren?

Any advice on the most cost effective defense against that scenario?

trish
05-22-05, 07:15 PM
Get a dog.

nrc
05-22-05, 07:26 PM
Get a dog.

We've got three. :) But they're not big enough to do much harm and we keep them crated when we're gone to keep them out of trouble.

trish
05-22-05, 07:30 PM
Do they bark? Sometimes that's all it takes. Not many people want to take a chance with a dog no matter how small it is.

B3RACER1a
05-22-05, 09:18 PM
Ever see "Home Alone"? :D

racer2c
05-22-05, 09:19 PM
Anyone have advise to share on security systems?

The one bad apple in our neighborhood has been evicted. The trouble with that is that now we're concerned that his scummy friends will see our neighborhood as fair game for burglaries. As if right on cue our neighbor across the street was broken into during the day last week. They cut the power and phone lines and took some stuff, including her washing machine, in broad daylight.

They had an ADT monitored alarm system, but with no power or phone line it didn't help. Is there any defense against that besides just a battery backed up outside siren?

Um, move.

dando
05-22-05, 09:38 PM
We've got three. :) But they're not big enough to do much harm and we keep them crated when we're gone to keep them out of trouble.
Then get a bigger dog. :gomer:

We have one through our builder (Toll Bros.) that was installed by a local contractor, Saturn Alarm (now American sumthin' or other). I wouldn't recommend Saturn if they were the last company out there. They did our whole house audio, network, and alarm...their putz sales guy (and president to boot) was a freakin' moron. I was far more knowledgable about the AV setup. :shakehead

I have some friends that have had systems installed by Midwest Total Systems, and they seem to like them. Another option is to checkout DIY options through Smarthome.com. They offer home automation, security, and AV products for DIY folks.

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
05-22-05, 09:43 PM
I leave a broken down car in the yard, some old **** piled here and there too. Put an old refrigerator on the back porch. Crooks will think you are broke and stay away from your house. And no, I'm NOT kidding.

nrc
05-22-05, 10:13 PM
Um, move.That's the longer term plan. But I imagine we'll still be thinking about a security system regardless.

RaceGrrl
05-22-05, 10:26 PM
I leave a broken down car in the yard, some old **** piled here and there too. Put an old refrigerator on the back porch. Crooks will think you are broke and stay away from your house. And no, I'm NOT kidding.

:laugh: Good plan, except for the four nice cars that we own. It's kinda hard to look broke when there's a brand new RX-8 parked in the driveway.

racer2c
05-22-05, 10:27 PM
That's the longer term plan. But I imagine we'll still be thinking about a security system regardless.

Forgive my sarcasm. You are right. You can never be sure what may come. Better prepared than sorry.

Jag_Warrior
05-22-05, 11:16 PM
http://www.dc.slupsk.pl/Guns/pis/amt/amt6.jpg

Works fer me... :)

nrc
05-22-05, 11:24 PM
http://www.dc.slupsk.pl/Guns/pis/amt/amt6.jpg

Works fer me... :)Does it patrol the house while you're gone? Spooky. :eek:

Jag_Warrior
05-22-05, 11:27 PM
As long as my neighbor isn't out of town the same time as I am.

He owns one too.

Audi_A4
05-22-05, 11:51 PM
Get an alarm system for piece of mind, our system costs $25 per month includes 2 keypads, 2 motion alarms, all windows and doors main floor and basement. Also make sure you have sufficient insurance. Thats probably the best bet.

tllips
05-23-05, 08:56 AM
To avoid them cutting the phone line, I would think that there are security systems that use cellular technology to call out when there is a break in.

We had a system at our last house and I seem to remember the guy mentioning something like a cell phone dial out when he was trying to get us to upgrade the system.

SteveH
05-23-05, 09:04 AM
Place sign in your front yard that reads "Beware IRL inside"

If that doesn't scare them off, nothing will. :D

Mr. Toad
05-23-05, 10:25 AM
Dig a moat
Fill moat with http://www.cs.fiu.edu/~flynnj/hamfest-2003/smaller/DCP_4155.JPG

It's Groovy baby. :D

RaceGrrl
05-23-05, 10:44 AM
:rofl:

I want one of those just because it's cool!

racer2c
05-23-05, 10:46 AM
Me too! :thumbup: :D

JLMannin
05-23-05, 12:32 PM
Wow! $6.00 belo cost. I wish I kood spel that wel!

Gnam
05-23-05, 01:24 PM

Unfortunately, no home is a fortress. If they want in, they'll get in. My question is, if your neighbor had installed a battery powered alarm bell would any of her neighbors have bothered to check it out? If so, alright. :thumbup:

But, I had a neighbor whose bell constantly gave false alarms. It rang so often I used to hope the guy was getting robbed. ;) Sort of the car alarm effect.

If your other neighbors are as concerned as you about these robberies, then working with them might be more efficient than a private security company.

tllips
05-24-05, 09:34 AM
This (http://www.dailyherald.com/search/searchstory.asp?id=52743) is an article that ran in the Daily Herald, a suburban Chicago paper. I thought it was timely to this thread and offers low tech tips.

Joelski
05-24-05, 09:44 AM
ADT has an option for cellular backup in case power or phone lines fail. Check it out.

Gnam
05-24-05, 01:22 PM
Because false security alarms have become the most common call for police service, many municipalities fine homeowners or cut off police response for false alarms.
Yeah, one city here in the Bay Area adopted this policy. This article says all is well, but if I lived there I'd be pissed.

http://www.kron4.com/Global/story.asp?S=3274500&nav=5D7lZDqy

nrc
05-24-05, 01:39 PM
RaceGrrl and I almost always have a phone with us so I'm leaning toward a self-install system that will call our cell phones. Once we verify that it's not a false alarm we can call the police. If I'm not mistaken, that's what ADT or Brinks do anyway.

To handle the possibility of cut lines I'm thinking an outdoor strobe and siren. I think my neighbors would at least have a look around if it went off and most of the time that's all it takes.