PDA

View Full Version : Monterrey Race (spoilers)

nrc
05-22-05, 06:49 PM
Good or bad? Obviously there were too many yellows from single car incidents, but there was some good, hard racing for position between the yellows.

Considering how tough and slippery Monterrey has been, this was one of the more entertaining races there. And I still like the track. All they need to do is fix one chicane and figure out a way to get some grip into it.

Rogue Leader
05-22-05, 06:51 PM
entertaining race... when it wasnt a destruction derby.....

trish
05-22-05, 06:56 PM
It was better than last year. Way too many cautions. I think the second caution should have been a local yellow. Half the field didn't finish the race...

But on the bright side, Ranger had a great day and A.J.A almost had a good day. I'm also glad Bruno won.

RHR_Fan
05-22-05, 07:00 PM
Lots of yellows, which got to be a menace. But OMG...Andrew finished second!!!! YEA!!! My parents are waiting to watch the race and I'm trying not to scream. Ryan was up to sixth, which made me happy. And Bjorn came soooo close! But 4th place is good. Goot to see Tag and Team Australia have a good result.

~Nicole

dando
05-22-05, 07:17 PM
They've gotta fix the FCYs, but considering some of the stoopid moves, I'm not sure what they can other than lobotomies. :shakehead

-Kevin

nrc
05-22-05, 07:22 PM
And Bjorn came soooo close! But 4th place is good. Wirdheim ran out of fuel and dropped back to 8th at the finish.

Does anyone know what the second pit violation Seabass was complaining about was? I'm sure the first was driving down the inside lane. Evidently they were warned about that and didn't repeat it. I prefer that the officials not call race deciding penalties over things like that.

coolhand
05-22-05, 07:32 PM
Wirdheim ran out of fuel and dropped back to 8th at the finish.

Does anyone know what the second pit violation Seabass was complaining about was? I'm sure the first was driving down the inside lane. Evidently they were warned about that and didn't repeat it. I prefer that the officials not call race deciding penalties over things like that.

PT was right behind him on that first pot stop. Sebass could go staight out of his box. Pt did not really block him

Dr. Corkski
05-22-05, 07:52 PM
PT was right behind him on that first pot stop.So PT picked up the Johnny Chimpo sponsorship for the race? :gomer:

EDwardo
05-22-05, 08:10 PM
Apparently a "punt to pass" button was added for this race. I think it needs to be removed for future races.......

Lizzerd
05-22-05, 08:45 PM
I can't believe Glock didn't get a penalty of some sort for blocking Jeemy. That was totally uncalled for and too Euro for Champ Car to tolerate, IMHO.

Way too many yellows. Slick track and high temps the cause? How many $$$ to rough up the surface? Would it be justified?

Interesting pit strategies nearly created a total surprise podium. With a couple more strange twists or two, it could have been Fabio, Wirdheim and Ranger or something similar.

dando
05-22-05, 09:15 PM
I can't believe Glock didn't get a penalty of some sort for blocking Jeemy. That was totally uncalled for and too Euro for Champ Car to tolerate, IMHO.

Did I hear it correctly during the race broadcast when JB said Jeemy was @ fault for the Glock incident??? I was watching/listening while keeping one eye on my daughter, so I wasn't sure I really heard that. Shaw (I'm assuming that's who was doing the international feed) was pratically apoplectic about that incident, and jumped all over Glock for it several times during the race. :confused:

-Kevin

nrc
05-22-05, 10:10 PM
Did I hear it correctly during the race broadcast when JB said Jeemy was @ fault for the Glock incident???
I don't recall that. I guess we'll see on the TV broadcast. Definitely 100% Glock. I like the fact that the current officials seem to be trying not to become a part of the race, but Glock should hear about that and he should pay for it with points if it happens again.

Rogue Leader
05-22-05, 10:14 PM
Yes Glock seemed to hit everything but the lottery today, and that chop on Jimmy was sooo wrong, I liked the DHL livery though!

Lizzerd
05-22-05, 10:14 PM
Did I hear it correctly during the race broadcast when JB said Jeemy was @ fault for the Glock incident??? I was watching/listening while keeping one eye on my daughter, so I wasn't sure I really heard that. Shaw (I'm assuming that's who was doing the international feed) was pratically apoplectic about that incident, and jumped all over Glock for it several times during the race. :confused:

-Kevin

Wait for the broadcast. They were making jokes about the "Glock Block", or something like that. It was amazing that Timo stayed on the track or didn't get get hit by Jeemy.

cart7
05-22-05, 10:18 PM
Seems I recall some tried goofy pit strategy's there last year to make up for the crappy, no-grip track surface. It'd be nice if they could grind the track but I just don't see that happening.

an OK race at best. Too many wrecks and FCY's.

nrc
05-22-05, 11:04 PM
Funny that Seabass claims that Tracy didn't give him room. For once Tracy appeared to be a completely innocent victim. Tracy taking the lead and leaving Seabass stuck in traffic seemed to fluster him and just made a over optimistic move. It's a shame that Tracy was really the one to pay for it.

Also a shame that Almendinger made it to the front and pulled off such a great pass on Tagliani and then got caught out by Servia's spin through no fault of his own. Brilliant move to avoid getting collected, though.

Dr. Corkski
05-22-05, 11:08 PM
It's a shame that Tracy was really the one to pay for it.Serves him right. :thumbup:

RHR_Fan
05-22-05, 11:17 PM
Wirdheim ran out of fuel and dropped back to 8th at the finish.

Thanks, that was my bad. Eighth place and leading a nice amount of laps is still an accomplishment for only your second race. Too bad about the fuel situation though.

~Nicole

nrc
05-22-05, 11:27 PM
Serves him right. :thumbup:Serves him right for what?

redmist
05-22-05, 11:41 PM

Way too many yellows. Slick track and high temps the cause? How many $$$ to rough up the surface? Would it be justified?

Interesting pit strategies nearly created a total surprise podium. With a couple more strange twists or two, it could have been Fabio, Wirdheim and Ranger or something similar.

i think he did get a drive trough penalty for it, i remember seeing mention of it on the comments part of the live timing page.

Lizzerd
05-22-05, 11:57 PM
i think he did get a drive trough penalty for it, i remember seeing mention of it on the comments part of the live timing page.

Oh. Thanks. I must have missed that. Probably when I suddenly saw him at the end of the lead lap on T&S.

dando
05-23-05, 12:46 AM
Wait for the broadcast. They were making jokes about the "Glock Block", or something like that. It was amazing that Timo stayed on the track or didn't get get hit by Jeemy.
Yup. I got it right the first time. JB said JV turned in, and he called Glock's involvement "a brilliant bit of driving". Oh well, I really respect JB, but we all make mistakes.

Except FTG, he just creates ****ups. :gomer:

-Kevin

Lizzerd
05-23-05, 12:53 AM

Reply to my own post. It must have been the international guys we got on Race Direcor during commercial break that said that. I didn't realize that the SPEED guys only did a quick replay of the Glock Block on Jeemy. That was the end of the story there, too. Disappointing.

Rob
05-23-05, 01:38 AM
I briefly had visions of Nelson spraying shampoo on the podium.

Ed_Severson
05-23-05, 01:58 AM
Yup. I got it right the first time. JB said JV turned in, and he called Glock's involvement "a brilliant bit of driving".

Not exactly ... he said Glock getting around Jimmy after he spun without getting collected was brilliant, not hitting him in the first place.

Tim
05-23-05, 03:14 AM
I was thinking about you the whole time Nicole. Too bad it's too late to call. :cool:

RTKar
05-23-05, 07:18 AM
What's with full course yellows for single car incidents on a wide open road course? 9 cautions for 32 laps....Amateurish race

Warlock!
05-23-05, 07:33 AM
What's with full course yellows for single car incidents on a wide open road course? 9 cautions for 32 laps....Amateurish race
Damn straight.

Methanolandbrats
05-23-05, 08:03 AM
Other than the fact that Champcar is fighting the Evil One, it's getting harder and harder to care about the series. Begin with a parade, then a month off leading to this crap. I did'nt even bother watching it because I know from past years the track sucks. Sounds like I did the right thing. They better find a way to come up with more real racetracks and they better come up with it soon.

chop456
05-23-05, 08:25 AM
I TiVo'd it and haven't watched yet. Sounds like I don't need to bother.

RTKar
05-23-05, 08:26 AM
M and B and Warlock too, that's why we aren't enjoying RA & MO anymore. Put on crap races and people won't pay to watch or bother to tune in. I FF'd through it...

Anteater
05-23-05, 09:01 AM
The FCYs baffled me--in most cases, it looked as though a local yellow would have done the job. Made for some lousy racing, with the field bunching up every 3 minutes. And I wish I could have seen a little more of the passing that was happening midpack--I think da Matta was quietly working his way to the front when he got mixed up in fallout from the Bourdais/Tracy tussle.

But I have to say that the video feed from the track was terrific! That's the clearest picture quality I've seen in a long time; I didn't feel as though I was watching the race through a vaseline-smeared lens.

NismoZ
05-23-05, 11:31 AM
Geez, finally...I was wondering when the "real" (istic) posts would start coming in! I was thinking of starting a new topic entitled "ChampCar Exposed" but I guess I can talk about it here. People...It was AWFUL!...but not unexpected. We're doing ourselves in with go-kart tracks like that, they INVITE that kind of driving, from the rooks to the champs! The other topic title I was considering was "Bring On The Nerf Bars!" 112k people. Wonderful! A deserving win for Bruno. Great. Interesting twists on strategy...but did any of you think Bruno WOULDN'T win after Bourdais messed with Tracy? Some things to like, sure, but I think this race showed too many of CC's flaws and it disheartened me. My only A+ goes to Jon...He da MAN!

dando
05-23-05, 12:02 PM
Not exactly ... he said Glock getting around Jimmy after he spun without getting collected was brilliant, not hitting him in the first place.
He failed to call out Glock on the move. Period. Shaw was all over it immediately. If you saw/heard the RD cast, you would have noticed the contrast. I caught both, and a replayed the sequence from the broadcast several times last night. Not trying to throw JB under the bus, but it was a noticeable gaffe.

-Kevin

Ed_Severson
05-23-05, 01:04 PM
He failed to call out Glock on the move. Period.

Hey, I'm not disputing that, but accusing him of calling Glock "brilliant" for the incident is far from the truth.

Even so, I'm not sure the incident was entirely Glock's fault anyhow. I'd have to go back and watch it again, but it seemed a bit of an overly-optimistic move, and I don't think Jimmy turned into the corner when he should have. If not for Glock hitting him, he likely would have gone straight through the corner on full brake lock -- too much dust and too little grip out there.

Just one of those things, in my opinion. No need to blame anybody.

nrc
05-23-05, 01:33 PM
Even so, I'm not sure the incident was entirely Glock's fault anyhow. I'd have to go back and watch it again, but it seemed a bit of an overly-optimistic move, and I don't think Jimmy turned into the corner when he should have.
I haven't watched the replay yet, but from seeing it on race director it looked to me like Glock veered over to block Jimmy and made contact well before the turn-in point.

Ed_Severson
05-23-05, 01:52 PM
Maybe so. I haven't seen it on RD; all I've seen was the Speed TV broadcast, which was essentially a head-on shot -- far from the best angle to determine who turned in where.

RHR_Fan
05-23-05, 05:22 PM
I was thinking about you the whole time Nicole. Too bad it's too late to call. :cool:

My legs were shaking during those last few laps. Not as bad as I was at Milwaukee last year!

~Nicole

RTKar
05-23-05, 08:37 PM
Geez, finally...I was wondering when the "real" (istic) posts would start coming in! I was thinking of starting a new topic entitled "ChampCar Exposed" but I guess I can talk about it here. People...It was AWFUL!...but not unexpected. We're doing ourselves in with go-kart tracks like that, they INVITE that kind of driving, from the rooks to the champs! The other topic title I was considering was "Bring On The Nerf Bars!" 112k people. Wonderful! A deserving win for Bruno. Great. Interesting twists on strategy...but did any of you think Bruno WOULDN'T win after Bourdais messed with Tracy? Some things to like, sure, but I think this race showed too many of CC's flaws and it disheartened me. My only A+ goes to Jon...He da MAN!

This is only the tip of the problem. New specs may help some though, but like methanoland brats stated, "Other than the fact that Champcar is fighting the Evil One, it's getting harder and harder to care about the series." I don't see enough tangible improvements to sustain any great degree of otimism for the series future.

nrc
05-23-05, 08:46 PM
Too many yellows, but otherwise I enjoyed it. I suppose we could get rid of Glock, Vasser and Sperifico and that would cover most of the yellows.

RTKar
05-23-05, 09:37 PM
76 Lap Race (winners average speed 77.6 mph)
32 laps under yellow (9 cautions)

42% of the race was under yellow

Monaco 0% of the race under yellow (iirc) (winners average speed 92.3mph)

Nextel Allstar race 7.8% (winners average speed 113.9 mph)

Rob
05-23-05, 09:54 PM
76 Lap Race (winners average speed 77.6 mph)
32 laps under yellow (9 cautions)

42% of the race was under yellow

Monaco 0% of the race under yellow (iirc) (winners average speed 92.3mph)

Nextel Allstar race 7.8% (winners average speed 113.9 mph)
It doesn't take away from your point at all, but there was a brief safety car period at Monaco when the track was blocked by the Minardi.

RTKar
05-23-05, 09:59 PM
It doesn't take away from your point at all, but there was a brief safety car period at Monaco when the track was blocked by the Minardi.

That's right, (I was half asleep trying to watch it live). I tried finding the stats but couldn't.... Kimi didn't pit if I recall.

Night Train
05-23-05, 10:24 PM
What happened to SanDisk on Wilson's car?

The teams need to work on the sponsor logos a bit IMHO Personally, I'd rather see a big HVM or something like that on Wirdheim's car vs. an indecipherably small logo. The rest of that car looks pretty sweet, by the way.

Jervis Tetch 1
05-23-05, 10:48 PM
I enjoyed the race. Too many yellows indicated to me that the time from Long Beach to Monterrey is entirely too long.

Can't wait for the Milwaukee experience in two weeks time.

RTKar
05-23-05, 11:00 PM
I enjoyed the race. Too many yellows indicated to me that the time from Long Beach to Monterrey is entirely too long.

Can't wait for the Milwaukee experience in two weeks time.

That thought came to mind but why FCY ?

Dr. Corkski
05-24-05, 06:36 AM
What happened to SanDisk on Wilson's car?I read somewhere that it was only a 4 race deal, that the logos will reappear later on at the street races Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan or wherever else they are supposed to be. :gomer:

mueber
05-24-05, 05:25 PM
I thought the end was entertaining, but the race was disappointing.

Crashes were a problem during the "glory days" too. I suppose you could blame it on the chassis and/or the track, but I blame the drivers and the officials. Management has NEVER addressed the poor driving problem in Champ Car/CART. When they do, drivers will drive the cars the have within the performance limits of those cars on the tracks upon which they compete.