PDA

View Full Version : Pinewood Derby F1

The Doctor
05-18-05, 04:03 PM
Now this should be interesting. Too bad no one of importance will probably be involved.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns14818.html

The Formula 1 teams are to have a race of different kind at Magny-Cours this year. Each team is to be given kits to create Pinewood Derby cars and these will be raced against one another at an event in the build up to the big race.

The Pinewood Derby is an American tradition, started by the Boy Scouts of America, in which competitors are given a small block of pinewood with two notches for wheels, four plastic wheels and four nails (to act as axles). They must then construct the fastest car possible to run on a three-lane track which slopes down to the ground. The cars can only be powered by gravity and must use all nine of the parts. There are minimum dimensions and a minimum weight but beyond that any design is acceptable.

The idea is certain to create much interest as the F1 designers are given little leeway with their Grand Prix machines but can let their imaginations go with the wooden cars.

Methanolandbrats
05-18-05, 04:07 PM
Are they going to let BAR participate? :gomer:

JT265
05-18-05, 04:50 PM
Are they going to let BAR participate? :gomer:

Yep. Only to fine them and exclude them from the results when it's determined that they corked the car. :D

RichK
05-18-05, 04:55 PM
Whoever runs across the pics of Eddie Jordan's swimsuit-models straddling his cars entered in the derby, please post them. Thank you.

Hard Driver
05-19-05, 12:23 AM
For the right price, I will engineer a car for Ferrari. ;)

My son and I have Entered 5 pinewood derbys and won 2 overall. Were were 3rd in the finals another time and also once missed the finals by 2 thousanths of a second, although the car that beat us only got second in the finals. The one other year our car sucked.