PDA

View Full Version : A.J. Foyt quote from SportsCenter

theunions
05-17-05, 11:20 PM
When asked by Dr. Punch why he immediately switched allegiance from CART upon formation of IRL:

You would've never heard of the Andrettis or the Fittipaldis if it wasn't for the Indy 500.

He kinda mumbled the bold part, but the archival footage shown with it most certainly depicted Emmo...

:gomer:

fourrunner
05-17-05, 11:33 PM
Did AJ mention that under the word "Class" in the dictionary, Both Mario & Emerson are mentioned, but AJ is knowhere in site! :shakehead

How many food stains were visable on his ABC Supply shirt?

SteveH
05-17-05, 11:48 PM
He's right, that WDC is hardly known by anyone in Marion County these days.

Lizzerd
05-18-05, 12:13 AM
Uh... AJ, you are getting senile (or more senile).

When you mention the names Andretti and Fittipaldi, you are uttering the names of Formula 1 World Champions and golly, who would have ever heard of a Formula 1 World Champion if they hadn't won at Indy? It is only when one utters the name Foyt, that they think of the Indy 500.

Grumpy old man...

Methanolandbrats
05-18-05, 12:25 AM
Sammich is in serious denial.......this whole f'n thing is gonna implode soon. Man I gotta get some more popcorn and beers so I'm ready to enjoy it. :D

rabbit
05-18-05, 12:27 AM
Who is this A.J. Foyt guy? Did he ever win a WDC? :confused:

Fio1
05-18-05, 02:16 AM
That's funny! :laugh:

I'm sure that statement is acurate for the guy selling Turkey Legs outside of turn 4, but not for any self respecting race fan. :shakehead

devilmaster
05-18-05, 02:30 AM
Ya know, regardless of what cars drive at indy for the rest of existance, I can't wait till someone wins 5.....

AJ's head will just explode.

DagoFast
05-18-05, 02:30 AM
If only Jabba had won something else in his life. Like the hot dog eating contest in Coney Island. Then all his self esteem would not be tied up at findy.

Too bad you never got a life AyeJay. Better luck next time.

Michaelhatesfans
05-18-05, 03:38 AM
"You would've never heard of the Andrettis or the Fittipaldis if it wasn't for the Indy 500."

:saywhat:
Yeah, that explains why no one in this country outside of Indiana knows who the hell Buddy Rice is.

Emmerson Fittipaldi, Mario Andretti, and A.J. Foyt - with three world championships between them! :laugh:

Dr. Corkski
05-18-05, 03:51 AM
Who is this A.J. Foyt guy? Did he ever win a WDC? :confused:You would've never heard of the Tayotas if it wasn't for AJ Foyt. :gomer:

KobySon
05-18-05, 10:43 AM
You would've never heard of the Tayotas if it wasn't for AJ Foyt. :gomer:

:laugh:

The people in Hudson County NJ call it "Teeyota".

mueber
05-18-05, 02:00 PM
What he means is that aj foyt wouldn't of heard of the Andrettis and the Fittipaldis but for gomerville.

oddlycalm
05-18-05, 02:50 PM
More idiocy from a blowhard that should have walked away 25yrs ago and confined his fool mouth to what it does best; eating. Putting the IMS crashfest ahead of the WDC is the kind of thing only a bitter old man that didn't make the cut would say.

F1 has grown to have an audience measured in the billions, while the i497 has shrunk to the point of being just another regional race.

oc

cart7
05-18-05, 02:54 PM
Ya know, regardless of what cars drive at indy for the rest of existance, I can't wait till someone wins 5.....

AJ's head will just explode.

If only Rick had stuck around till 1994, he would've waxed the field in the 209 and shut Sammich up for good.

pchall
05-18-05, 03:07 PM
If only Rick had stuck around till 1994, he would've waxed the field in the 209 and shut Sammich up for good.

Rocket Rick. The one racer who could turn down Bernie. :)

JT265
05-18-05, 04:32 PM
Yes indeedy, how many times does the world need to be talked down to by DOCTOR Jerry Punch and the old Fat Champ.

I'm glad I didn't see it. It would be like watching a special episode of The Freakin Brady Bunch. Every day of the week. :cry:

Peter Venkman
05-19-05, 02:47 AM
"Yeah, that explains why no one in this country outside of Indiana knows who the hell Buddy Rice is."

Well, we do know him in Phoenix.

He's my son's good friend (and fellow race instructor), and a damn fine race car driver. As good as there is, in the IRL 500 right now.

JohnHKart
05-19-05, 05:23 AM

Actually one more year and he probably would have been winning in 93 and 94!!!! If I remember right, it was Rick's input and strategy that helped Emmo win in 93.

John

chop456
05-19-05, 05:52 AM
If I remember right, it was Rick's input and strategy that helped Emmo win in 93.

That and Mansell's inability to get a restart right.

If only Jabba had won something else in his life. Like the hot dog eating contest in Coney Island. Then all his self esteem would not be tied up at findy.

In all fairness, fatty did win Le Mans, too.

Michaelhatesfans
05-19-05, 10:31 AM
"Yeah, that explains why no one in this country outside of Indiana knows who the hell Buddy Rice is."

Big deal. There's a guy here in Portland who runs an electronics store. He runs 2 am commercials where he pretends to be pounding on your television screen while shouting, "WAKE UP!!!" To use your example, "We do know him in Portland."

Methanolandbrats
05-19-05, 10:51 AM

He's my son's good friend (and fellow race instructor), and a damn fine race car driver. As good as there is, in the IRL 500 right now. Buddy is your buddy.......that's why you know him. I doubt if anyone else in Phoenix GAF.

DagoFast
05-19-05, 10:57 AM
I live in Phoenix. Never heard of him. Is he running for dogcatcher?

coolhand
05-19-05, 12:48 PM
Bo Bice on American idol is more famous then big air buddy rice. :gomer:

Peter Venkman
05-19-05, 07:31 PM
Buddy is your buddy.......that's why you know him. I doubt if anyone else in Phoenix GAF.

No, he's not my "buddy", he's my son's friend, and he really is as good as anyone right now in that goofy "league".

As for the rest of your ignorance, I'll leave it there.

The same thing goes for "coolhand dork" and the dago.

Methanolandbrats
05-19-05, 07:59 PM
No, he's not my "buddy", he's my son's friend, and he really is as good as anyone right now in that goofy "league".

The same thing goes for "coolhand dork" and the dago.Try Track Forum, they know who he is.........and they're the only people anywhere who do. That's where all the dicks hang out, you'd like it there.

Michaelhatesfans
05-19-05, 08:00 PM

Don't I get a sassy nickname as well?

Sean O'Gorman
05-19-05, 08:10 PM
Try Track Forum, they know who he is.........and they're the only people anywhere who do. That's where all the dicks hang out, you'd like it there.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, save that hate for Ank or someone like that. Peter is no gomer.

Andrew Longman
05-19-05, 09:33 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa, save that hate for Ank or someone like that. Peter is no gomer.

Ditto.

Spicoli
05-19-05, 09:43 PM

O'Gorman knows Dork!

http://www.zepepitoshow.com/forums/html/emoticons/pirate.gif

cart7
05-19-05, 09:50 PM

exactly.

coolhand
05-19-05, 09:50 PM

yeah attack me? face it, anyone outside the midwest does not GAF who buddy is.

http://irl.autoracingsport.com/irl_images/headshots/2004/rice.jpg :rofl:

bo bice is more famous then buddy rice.

i guess that makes me a dork? you are the one accusing people of ignorance?

datachicane
05-20-05, 01:30 PM
Man, you folks have a short memory.

Rice was an Atlantics champ who worked hard to get a CART ride- the irl was sure as hell not his first choice. Doesn't anybody remember how Rahal threw him under the bus? Don't dis him for taking a job with a paycheck when nobody else came knocking.

Hate the league, not the poor schmucks that it grinds up. Save the venom for guys like Adrian, Bobby and Mikey. I'd welcome any capable driver to the series with open arms, period.

KobySon
05-20-05, 03:18 PM

Rice was an Atlantics champ who worked hard to get a CART ride- the irl was sure as hell not his first choice. Doesn't anybody remember how Rahal threw him under the bus? Don't dis him for taking a job with a paycheck when nobody else came knocking.

Hate the league, not the poor schmucks that it grinds up. Save the venom for guys like Adrian, Bobby and Mikey. I'd welcome any capable driver to the series with open arms, period.

yep. hate the game, not the playa.

KobySon
05-20-05, 03:20 PM
yep. hate the game, not the playa.

you know, but it is a little strange how rice can get a ride in cart II but not in the original.

RichK
05-20-05, 03:27 PM

Great post, dc!

Funny, but when Buddy Rice walked by the 7G table at Long Beach (The YardHouse) a few years ago, he got a standing ovation for his Atlantics win that day....

Rice didn't get a ride in CART, but neither did Fogarty, Orsi, or lots of other deserving Atlantic grads.

Rocketdoc
05-20-05, 04:55 PM

Thanks Sean, but it's my fault. I started it by some smart-ass name calling.

I'm sorry. Let's get off to a better start.

I'm not protective of of Buddy Rice, but he is my son's "buddy", he's a nice kid, and I've watched them both drive many, many times.
BTW, my son is as fast as Buddy any given day, but he's 6'-8" tall, gives away about 80-100 Lbs., and I know of no one who would make a Champ Car for a guy that big, although he's a great endurance driver: starts off at 9.8 tenths and finshes at 9.9 tenths; independent of hours driving.

I use both "rocketdoc" and "Peter Venkman" and many here know that I'm one of the worst enemies of the IRL and Tony George and the "vision thing". Recently, the same goes for Roger Penske, and my daughter works for him.

So if it's allright with Methanolbrats, Coolhand and Dagofast, let's give it another try, OK?

datachicane
05-20-05, 05:18 PM
Rice didn't get a ride in CART, but neither did Fogarty, Orsi, or lots of other deserving Atlantic grads.

...true enough, along with more than a few vet CART drivers (Kanaan, Herta, etc.).

I remember a few years back how pathetic the lemmings seemed for ranking drivers not by talent, but by whether or not they said nice things about Indy.

Now the tables are turned and some of my fellow Champcar fans are guilty of exactly the same behavior. Castoneves, Kanaan, Dixon, Rice, Wheldon, Barron, Franchitti, et al (even Danica) were decent shoes when they drove in various CART series. Some may be a bit rusty by now, but after a few weeks of practice every one of them (well, Danica could use some polishing) could hold his head up in Champcar. How is it they they were great when they were ours, but now that they say nice things about the folks who write their paychecks and/or do the famously arbitrary officiating they suck?

What the hell do you expect them to say?

Tommy Kendall may shoot from the hip, but for all of his obvious talent and accomplishments he's still unemployed.

coolhand
05-20-05, 05:21 PM
So if it's allright with Methanolbrats, Coolhand and Dagofast, let's give it another try, OK?

fine with me, but are you saying you have two screenames?

Rocketdoc
05-20-05, 05:38 PM
fine with me, but are you saying you have two screenames?

Two computers.

I kind of rely on some software called Roboform, and "it" decides who I am when I log on to forums and password sites.

I try to remember the correct passwords, but the older I get... what was the question?

JT265
05-20-05, 06:54 PM
Thanks Sean, but it's my fault. I started it by some smart-ass name calling.

I'm sorry. Let's get off to a better start.

I'm not protective of of Buddy Rice, but he is my son's "buddy", he's a nice kid, and I've watched them both drive many, many times.
BTW, my son is as fast as Buddy any given day, but he's 6'-8" tall, gives away about 80-100 Lbs., and I know of no one who would make a Champ Car for a guy that big, although he's a great endurance driver: starts off at 9.8 tenths and finshes at 9.9 tenths; independent of hours driving.

I use both "rocketdoc" and "Peter Venkman" and many here know that I'm one of the worst enemies of the IRL and Tony George and the "vision thing". Recently, the same goes for Roger Penske, and my daughter works for him.

You got nuttin' to apologize for C.

SeanO on the other hand.................

:D

Sean O'Gorman
05-20-05, 08:29 PM
Hey what did I do this time??

DagoFast
05-20-05, 09:37 PM
Its cool by me.

I think Buddy is a good kid. But I don't speak well of ANYBODY that goes twirling.

I'd flip burgers before I worked for them. Hell, I'd shovel elephant s**** first.
Just my principles.

Peter Venkman
05-21-05, 02:15 AM
"I'd flip burgers before I worked for them. Hell, I'd shovel elephant s**** first.
Just my principles."

As an old driver and the father of a young driver, unfortunately it's not that simple.

It's such a hard trip to the top, no matter what and who calls it "the top", you have to take what you can unless your daddy's pockets are exploding with expendable cash.

I think that most of the drivers in the "Gomerville Goofy League" would rather be running for financially healthly car owners in a stable Champ Car series, but they do have to go where their paychecks take them.

IMO, it's the owners that are the whores. And that's gonna' change.

Most, if not all of the "love-fest" talk from the IRL is scripted and phony, but it's part of their commitment (or contract) to "tell no wrong (or the truth, for that matter)" about the IRL.

Guys that are busting their ass trying to get a paying ride, any paying ride, are risking enough to run in a ovals dominated series, but if that's what it takes, that's where they have to be. The commitment to be a race car driver usually takes a bit more "gonads" than say an accountant or an orthodontist, so they see the risk as on the edge of acceptable.

There are guys that are running in the Daytona Prototypes (I dislike the NASCAR influence on sports car racing as much as Tony George's Formula Broken Vertebra), ALMS and the Speedvision series (i.e., Darran Law, Terry Borcheller, et al) that would displace at least most of the first third of any IRL, and perhaps Champ Car grid, but they haven't won the lottery yet.

Mike McDowell, a Bondurant Race Instructor like my son, did, and will turn quite a few heads in the coming year, so and watch out for this kid. He has a wealthy "patron" that is ready to take him wherever he wants to go.

If only racing could respond to the emotions of the fans, but the reality is that you run where they pay you too. And sometimes, you are commanded to grin and bare it.

mexican
05-21-05, 02:27 AM
IMO, it's the owners that are the whores. And that's gonna' change.

and the drivers are just poor pawns who sacrifice everything for the "glory" (gorey, in the case of the double O league) poor victims, martyrs, F em all, sideways, twice

Michaelhatesfans
05-21-05, 10:19 AM
You would've never heard of the Andrettis or the Fittipaldis if it wasn't for the Indy 500.

Just a reminder as to what the thread is about... ;)

mexican
05-21-05, 10:42 AM
sorry, LBGP 78, driving for his old POS team, then I was lucky to have my grandfather's R&T collection at home and read his exploits since day one in F1.

but this need to be repeated, all drivers in the double 0 league, F em, upside down, thrice

fourrunner
05-21-05, 12:30 PM
The ONLY interesting thing that remains of the Indy 500 is the "colorful" though never well thought out quotes from AJ Foyt, usually obtained after another disaster has befallen his team !

There is so much behind this current quote... he actually held back, and just left it "cloaked" in a compliment!