Story (http://tinyurl.com/ccflc)

Ted

:shakehead

Methanolandbrats
05-17-05, 07:22 PM
That's the spirit!

rabbit
05-17-05, 07:45 PM
I've heard of Tippy Gomez, but Tippy Martin, that's a new one.

JoeBob
05-17-05, 07:50 PM
IMS has "Some Input" as to who gets the loaner SSRs.

I wonder what that's supposed to mean.

rabbit
05-17-05, 07:59 PM
IMS has "Some Input" as to who gets the loaner SSRs.

I wonder what that's supposed to mean.It means that the "respected" journalist has been receiving bribes from the party he is supposed to be covering impartially. :shakehead

The words "conflict of interest" come to mind. :thumdown:

Napoleon
05-17-05, 08:38 PM
The words "conflict of interest" come to mind. :thumdown:

I have not read anything of his since around 99 when it was so clear he was the most koolaid drinking hack out there.

It could not happen to a better person. Go figure.

devilmaster
05-17-05, 08:57 PM
I have not read anything of his since around 99 when it was so clear he was the most koolaid drinking hack out there.

It could not happen to a better person. Go figure.

I thought his name sounded familiar, but a google search didn't find any heavy kool-aid infused articles, but i was thinking he did write them.

rabbit
05-17-05, 09:10 PM
I remember sitting in the pressroom at MIS a couple years back and listening to him make fun of 7G posters.

Methanolandbrats
05-17-05, 09:31 PM
I remember sitting in the pressroom at MIS a couple years back and listening to him make fun of 7G posters. Once they post his Corrections ID #, we can send him cards :D

oddlycalm
05-17-05, 09:48 PM
Major jagoff, not surprised at all to hear the news. M&B's suggestion of a little card writing project sounds right to me. Some folks deserve to get kicked when they are down.

oc

nrc
05-17-05, 10:00 PM
It means that the "respected" journalist has been receiving bribes from the party he is supposed to be covering impartially. :shakehead

The words "conflict of interest" come to mind. :thumdown:I'm sure this will shock the gomers who fume about Robin Miller's conflict of interest. Way back when I was getting tired of On Track's growing IRL bias it was the editor fawning over his pace car loaner in the same issue that he spewed some Kool Aid that was the final straw that moved me to cancel. It was pretty useless by that point anyway.

Bruce Martin was the AP's chief lemming for quite a while. I haven't seen much from him lately which I consider an entirely good thing.

http://indyracing.com/indycar/news/story.php?story_id=2712

Looks like they pick his stuff up on the IRL site as well. Oh my, how can such a conflict of interest be allowed? Free loaner cars, probably a check for the stories they pick up. It's an outright scandle.

rabbit
05-17-05, 10:32 PM
I'm sure this will shock the gomers who fume about Robin Miller's conflict of interest. Way back when I was getting tired of On Track's growing IRL bias it was the editor fawning over his pace car loaner in the same issue that he spewed some Kool Aid that was the final straw that moved me to cancel. It was pretty useless by that point anyway.

Bruce Martin was the AP's chief lemming for quite a while. I haven't seen much from him lately which I consider an entirely good thing.

http://indyracing.com/indycar/news/story.php?story_id=2712

Looks like they pick his stuff up on the IRL site as well. Oh my, how can such a conflict of interest be allowed? Free loaner cars, probably a check for the stories they pick up. It's an outright scandle.

http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=59085

Is it ethical for journalists to be accepting cars from those they cover?

No. But NASCAR and the other open wheel series do things even more egregious to buy good pubicity so why not? They've got a lot of those things around.

I used to drive an 'official' car courtesy of local dealers back when I was on the radio and reoorted from up there every day. :rolleyes:

SteveH
05-17-05, 11:39 PM
IMS should be thanking their lucky stars that no one was killed or maimed. Providing a courtesy car to someone that had his license suspended is very irresponsible. I'll bet there are new regulations that govern that at IMS from now on.

Going to be hell when NASCAR comes to town. And Kimi's going to be taking a lot of taxi cab rides. :D

nrc
05-17-05, 11:52 PM
IMS should be thanking their lucky stars that no one was killed or maimed. Providing a courtesy car to someone that had his license suspended is very irresponsiblWow. Was he currently under suspension?

Ziggy
05-17-05, 11:59 PM
Respected journalist and Bruce Martin should never be used in the same sentence. Bruce Martin is an ****** of the highest order. For all the yamming the Tard's do at TardForum, lets see them prop this deal up.

Martin gets paid by the IRL, no one is dumb enough to publicly support it without some restitution (no offense Defender, only in your mind are you doing anything),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,peace in racing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,(didnt want to leave the most read journalist on the Internet out either)

I hope Martin loses his job, but we know he would just get the PR position at Vision Racing. Tony has a knack for giving out "second chances."

Ziggy

Mike Kellner
05-18-05, 12:32 AM
Heck, I figger if they can get him out on bond, and cleaned up by friday, he could practice in of of AJ's cars and try an make the big show. Crank in a lot of wing, add a few gallons of nitro, and he might put together four 190+ laps, which should be good for row 9 or 10.

mk

Wally
05-18-05, 12:35 AM
"The Speedway says Martin’s car has been returned to the manufacturer"

:laugh: ..on a rollback..... :thumbup:

SteveH
05-18-05, 12:43 AM
Wow. Was he currently under suspension?

Yes sir, according to this (http://wibc.com/News/Story.aspx?ID=42344)

A writer for a national sports magazine has been arrested in Indianapolis for allegedly fleeing the scene of a hit-and-run accident while intoxicated.

According to a police report 46-year-old Bruce Martin of Mooresville, North Carolina, was driving a courtesy pickup truck with an Indianapolis Motor Speedway plate about 3 a.m. this morning.

The report says Martin struck the rear of a car driven by 25-year-old Melissa Yarger of Lafayette at the intersection of Kessler Blvd. and Westfield Blvd. He was later arrested by Marion County Sheriff's deputies on the west side of town.

The pickup truck sustained heavy front-end damage.

Martin writes for Speed Sport News Magazine and is a writer for other sports organizations including ESPN.

Police say he had a blood alcohol content greater than 0.15. Booking information also shows that Martin has a suspended drivers license.

last modified: 5/17/2005 2:09 PM

He should be OK, seems there's a marketing job at either IMS or the IRL that's always open or as Ziggy said, Vision Racing, baby. :thumbup:

nrc
05-18-05, 12:55 AM
Any word on whether Melissa Yarger of Lafayette is complaining of head and back pain?

rabbit
05-18-05, 12:57 AM
Any word on whether Melissa Yarger of Lafayette is complaining of head and back pain?
She was fine. Fortunately she had traded her Dallara in for a Lola last week. :thumbup:

TippyGomez
05-18-05, 01:44 AM
He is a disgrace to all real journalist.

Maybe Tippy should apply with NSSN?

:)

Michaelhatesfans
05-18-05, 02:25 AM
He'll never be a true Indy legend. What good is trying to drive home drunk if you don't take a swing at your girlfriend and then throw her out of the car?

redmist
05-18-05, 02:27 AM
who was really driving, him or little al ?

DagoFast
05-18-05, 02:27 AM
He'll never be a true Indy legend. What good is trying to drive home drunk if you don't take a swing at your girlfriend and then throw her out of the car?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

pchall
05-18-05, 06:18 AM
If yoour'e blowing a .22 would you even feel the Taser?

:eek: :shakehead

TroyM1
05-18-05, 07:05 AM
What a goofball. Good thing no one was hurt or killed. TG and GM would be facing a heavy lawsuit. Those morons at IMS don't even bother to see if one has a valid license. I imagine Jack Arute, Dave Wilson, and Dave Calabro will have to show a valid license today at IMS to keep their cars.

I've always maintained that most of the Tony bootlickers are that way because of favors. I guess the suite visits in May and cruising broad ripple in an official vehicle are what these guys live for. Sad

Skater_36
05-18-05, 08:49 AM
I don't know who the bigger idiot is in this story, Martin or the IMS person that gave the keys to a guy with a suspended license.

Surprised? Not at all. :gomer:

Don Quixote
05-18-05, 09:25 AM
I wonder how many times this guy has gone cow tipping with opie. :laugh:

Mike Kellner
05-18-05, 09:33 AM
Maybee BiF and James Robert can pick him up in the Firebird on their way to the Speedway on raceday. He's got credentials so maybe the guys can get into the hospitality tents where the Wild Turkey is free an you can eat all you want. We might geta great report on life in the tall cotton.

hint, hint... ;) ;)

mk

pchall
05-18-05, 09:39 AM
I've always maintained that most of the Tony bootlickers are that way because of favors. I guess the suite visits in May and cruising broad ripple in an official vehicle are what these guys live for. Sad

When I was a regular at Indy there was a whole culture based on cruising around town showing off that you had an IMS provided pace car knock off and then walking up and down pit road conspicuously showing your credentials. These people invariably had little or no interest in the goings on at the track -- the whole scene was to be seen there. Some sort of gomer status thing just as unconnected to the sport at the goings on at Churchill Downs. :shakehead

Mike Kellner
05-18-05, 09:44 AM
If you saw the photo of this guy, he needs some kinda help to pick up women with all their teeth. He looks like sorta Bobby Rayhall, only worse, and he can't offer the cutie pies a chance to sit on the pole, well at least any pole they'd actually want to sit on.

mk

IlliniRacer
05-18-05, 10:07 AM
Will he be starting an IRL team with Tyce Carlson anytime soon?

Team AlcoMate?
http://www.breathalcolyzer.com/images/mainalcomate.jpg

AlcoMate (http://www.breathalcolyzer.com/)

Sean O'Gorman
05-18-05, 11:01 AM
Tyce Carlson has a DUI too?

Jervis Tetch 1
05-18-05, 11:04 AM
Tyce Carlson has a DUI too?Scott Harrington too.

IMHO this couldn't happen to a better guy. Martin is an ******* in the finest form and as arrogant as they come. Nobody likes him in the media center and hopefully this is the first step towards the end of his journalistic career.

Just be thankful he didn't kill anyone.

Mike Kellner
05-18-05, 11:11 AM
Isn't Jack Daniels sponsoring a Taxi team? Perhaps they'd like to sponsor a CrapWagon as well. They could hire Tice, Scott, and Al Jr, with Martin as the PR guy.

I can hear the slogans already, "Jack made us what we are today." & "We know Jack."

And don't forget, "Friend of Jack D." bumper stickers.

mk

devilmaster
05-18-05, 01:05 PM
If yoour'e blowing a .22 would you even feel the Taser?

:eek: :shakehead

All depends if the .22 has gone off first.....

(sorry, black humour)

Chief
05-18-05, 01:10 PM
"Taser" Martin. Has a nice ring to it.......

Methanolandbrats
05-18-05, 01:20 PM
All depends if the .22 has gone off first.....

(sorry, black humour) Careful, this a delicate, sensitive crowd :)

devilmaster
05-18-05, 01:25 PM
Careful, this a delicate, sensitive crowd :)

ehhh. I think i'm entitled.....

theunions
05-18-05, 01:40 PM
Carlson's clean to my knowledge, but in a past life (before he turned away from driving and towards real estate) he specialized in getting guys like Martin and Harrington out of the slammer.

Napoleon
05-18-05, 02:11 PM
I remember sitting in the pressroom at MIS a couple years back and listening to him make fun of 7G posters.

I recall him in print or in e-mail to Cartisans what he was dismissive and arrogant. It wasn't that he was on the otherside, it was that he is a jerk.

I seem to recall on the old Speedvision Boards there was someone who posted some speculated was him (this is where I could use 'Birds memory). Anyone else out there remember anything?

"Taser" Martin. Has a nice ring to it.......

I like it!

JT265
05-18-05, 04:26 PM
Where's the righteous indignation at GooberForum?? A suspended driver, pissed to the point of blood alchohol poisoning, writing "impartial" editorials about the MarionCountyFair 500, performs a bump & run on an innocent girl while wheeling a Mumbles-provided free ride, leads the cops on a chase and refuses to pull over and resists arrest, and no one at BrownShirtCentral is up in arms?!?!?

Just wait till Robin does another column for Champ Car. The holier-than-thou crew will be full bore, calling for his dismissal and to be hung from the highest tree.

SurfaceUnits
05-19-05, 01:15 AM
Bruce Martin's Police Lineup:

http://www.pfeelingood.com/u1/images/caption_cartoon.jpg

Peter Venkman
05-19-05, 02:37 AM
"...respected racing journalist...."

Bruce Martin is nothing but a bucket of warm spit (to quote a Vice Presdient).

I've had more than one personal (via email) discussion with this Tony George heiny sucker, and he deserves everything he gets.

I’ve said it to Martin’s face more than once, that if Tony George ever stopped quick, they'd have to surgically remove Martin from Tony's upper colon.

chop456
05-19-05, 02:44 AM
Scott Harrington too.

Scott Harrington has a collection of DUI arrests.

JohnHKart
05-19-05, 05:21 AM
If you saw the photo of this guy, he needs some kinda help to pick up women with all their teeth. He looks like sorta Bobby Rayhall, only worse, and he can't offer the cutie pies a chance to sit on the pole, well at least any pole they'd actually want to sit on.

mk

And don't life suck......Rahole could get all the women he wanted.....(as could this loser if he was as rich as that bald two faced Honda dealer) just because of the money.

John

devilmaster
05-22-05, 11:19 PM
Hmmm, unless he has a laptop in his cell, Bruce is back at work :laugh:

http://sports.yahoo.com/irl/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpNWEwdHMwBF9TAzk1ODYyNzM3BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=irl05&prov=st&type=lgns

nrc
05-22-05, 11:32 PM
Hmmm, unless he has a laptop in his cell, Bruce is back at work :laugh:

http://sports.yahoo.com/irl/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpNWEwdHMwBF9TAzk1ODYyNzM3BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=irl05&prov=st&type=lgns
Yeah, and writing crap like this you can about guess who paid his bail.:shakehead

Compared to past Indy 500s, when Bump Day was one of the best days of May with 40-45 cars trying to make the 33-car lineup, Sunday's action could be considered a sign of progress.

Jag_Warrior
05-22-05, 11:32 PM

Yeah, well, he who laughs last... :p

Mike Kellner
05-22-05, 11:33 PM
"By 4:10 p.m. EDT, Luyendyk was fast enough to make an attempt and he did it in style, going progressively faster on all four laps, starting at a 214.453 miles per hour and finishing with an average of 215.039 mph in a Dallara/Chevrolet."

Since when is being 12 MPH off the pace "Doing it with style"?

Sounds like Bruce is still blowing it, if ya take my meaning.

But wait, there was more soul stirring action.....

With 24 minutes left to qualify, Giaffone began his run and it was clear from the first lap he would get into the race. It was at 217.815 mph followed by laps of 217.755, 217.657 and 217.352 for a four-lap average of 217.352.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeesss On It!!!!

Giaffone was in the race and Luyendyk was out.

Luyendyk's crew was able to get the young driver on the track before an IRL official fired the gun to close qualifications at 7 p.m., which meant Luyendyk could complete his run. But the speeds dropped from 214.123 mph on the first lap to 213.983, 209.612 and finally 204.014 for a four-lap average of 210.351.

Geeze, gripping action like that brings a tear to my eye. I can almost hear a lonesome harmonica playing back home again in the background, as the scenes of today's triumph and tragedy at Indy get turned into ersatz impressionist paintings by some bit of software.

Bump Day 05, they broke the mold after this one.

I guess that's why Indy drivers are a special breed of hero.

:cry:

Jervis Tetch 1
05-23-05, 12:07 AM
I saw his ugly mug behind Giaffone on TV today. Apparently the IMS doesn't give a hoot about his alleged felony. But then FTG has a convicted felon working on his stepson's team so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Ziggy
05-23-05, 12:08 AM
Here's the deal about Martin

When Debbie Rahal got arrested for DUI several years ago, Old Brucie saw fit to open his yam about "these are the folks running CART" blahblahblah.

He went on at great lenghts. He would not let it go, and made reference for quite sometime.

Shoes on the other foot now,eh

NSSN with their holier than thou attitude should fire this ******* ASAP.

it's controversy that sells
no criminal activity

Jervis Tetch 1
05-23-05, 12:13 AM
Here's the deal about Martin

When Debbie Rahal got arrested for DUI several years ago, Old Brucie saw fit to open his yam about "these are the folks running CART" blahblahblah.

He went on at great lenghts. He would not let it go, and made reference for quite sometime.

Shoes on the other foot now,eh

NSSN with their holier than thou attitude should fire this ******* ASAP.

it's controversy that sells
no criminal activityAmen. I have read where some of the Gomers were going to give Robin Miller what for if they saw him at the Speedway. Well I'll be there to cheer on Sea Bass and Junky and I think I'll offer Bruce a beer if I see him.

theunions
05-23-05, 12:17 AM
I saw his ugly mug behind Giaffone on TV today.

Yeah, I thought that was him too...it was by far the cleanest-cut I'd ever seen him, in person or otherwise, so I wasn't absolutely sure...

Napoleon
05-26-05, 04:10 PM
This one deserves to be bumped, if for no other reason my deep dislike of Martin.

Don Quixote
05-26-05, 04:30 PM
This one deserves to be bumped, if for no other reason my deep dislike of Martin.
Good call.

devilmaster
05-26-05, 04:47 PM
Anyone got an email for him? :D

Napoleon
05-28-05, 07:54 AM
Good call.

Thank you!