PDA

View Full Version : Scott Dixon

rabbit
03-04-03, 12:30 AM
But Dixon -- whose teammate is 22-year-old South African Tomas Scheckter, son of F-1 champ Jody -- would rather be racing somewhere other than the all-oval IRL.

He's a road racer by nature, even though his two professional victories have come on ovals.

"Yes, I miss turning right," he said, his expression saying more than his words.
http://www.canada.com/vancouver/theprovince/story.asp?id=80C5EF50-02C1-486D-A5F6-D3CB58AEC8ED

Ed_Severson
03-04-03, 01:05 AM
Count me among the apparent minority that doesn't feel sorry for him.

He didn't have to go, but he did.

That's all I need to know.

Lizzerd
03-04-03, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by Ed_Severson
Count me among the apparent minority that doesn't feel sorry for him.

He didn't have to go, but he did.

That's all I need to know.

He went because his contract bound him to Cheep for the season. Believe me, he doesn't want to be there.

Count me among the majority who does feel sorry for him.

Based on what you said, you don't know much about Mr. Dixon, do you, Ed.

Ed_Severson
03-04-03, 08:45 AM
I know plenty about him.

He had the option to go or to sit.

I would have preferred a year sitting it out. It's been done before, and I'm sure his current teammate could have given him some priceless advice on how to pull it off.

Aside from that, he made the decision to sign with a team that he knew wasn't going to be in champ cars this year. Contract or no, he made the choice to go.

Another one bites the dust ...

mnkywrch
03-04-03, 08:51 AM
Sure, I'd willingly give up a seat in either CART or the IRL. Talk about career suicide...

Wasn't his contract with Toyota?

Kiss any F1 hopes dead in that case.

Ed_Severson
03-04-03, 08:59 AM
It's been done before, wrench. It's not a career killer.

And spending a year in Tonycolor will accomplish killing your F1 hopes just as fast as telling Toyota to piss off, if not faster.

pchall
03-04-03, 10:43 AM
A year languishing in the minors for a year might derail his career, especially if Bourdais lights things up in CART and more F1 bound F3/F3000 guys line up for rides in 2004

I really don't think anyone is going to go straight to F1 from a season in the IRL, even with multiple wins. Dixon is going to need a very successful CART season in the near future to get back on track.

racer2c
03-04-03, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by pchall
A year languishing in the minors for a year might derail his career, especially if Bourdais lights things up in CART and more F1 bound F3/F3000 guys line up for rides in 2004

I really don't think anyone is going to go straight to F1 from a season in the IRL, even with multiple wins. Dixon is going to need a very successful CART season in the near future to get back on track.

I agree. Dixon, of course, is young enough to overcome some languishing in the IRL for a few seasons, but Dario, Kanaan, Helio can kiss any F1 hopes goodbye. It's over.

mnkywrch
03-04-03, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Ed_Severson
It's been done before, wrench. It's not a career killer.

And spending a year in Tonycolor will accomplish killing your F1 hopes just as fast as telling Toyota to piss off, if not faster.

Okay, I have to ask - who? Who sat out an entire CART season and came back to CART in a good ride?

Herta?

Moreno?

Buddy Rice sat for 2001 - even had that deal with Rahal - look where it got him.

If Rice had turned down those IRL rides and was still looking for a CART seat, do you truly think he would have one?

If so, who would have hired him?

Besides, I thought Toyota got Dixon's contract with all the PWR mess.

If I'm Dixon, I'm thinking that DaMatta might get fired from the F1 team, and maybe I can get a test...

racer2c
03-04-03, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by mnkywrch

If I'm Dixon, I'm thinking that DaMatta might get fired from the F1 team, and maybe I can get a test...

For his sake, I hope he's close to a shifter track.

Ed_Severson
03-04-03, 12:10 PM
Look, wrench ... I'm not going to argue with you about whether or not Scott Dixon's career would be six feet under if he refused to race Tonywagons for a year. There's a long list of drivers out there who have taken a year off from competitive racing, even particular series, and had long, productive careers. If you're that interested in it, you figure it out. Otherwise, pick this fight with somebody else.

As for Scott Dixon getting a test with Toyota ... it'll be a cold day in hell before that ever happens.

I'm not of the opinion that Dixon is untalented, but he spent the better part of two years in champ cars doing diddly poo on road courses. He managed one podium in two seasons, and the one race he had an opportunity to win, he threw away. Now, he's volunteered himself for a season of throttle jockeying a machine that only goes in circles and requires only a strong right calf to "drive" the car.

If Scott Dixon signed up for the Toyota Tonywagon program because he thought he was going to get a test on that basis, he's a much dumber lad than I would have given him credit for.

It is, like so many others, all about the money.

Maybe we'll see him back in CART, but I find it unlikely unless somebody offers him dollars to yen.

Kiwifan
03-04-03, 01:36 PM
Thanks Lizzerd, you 'know'.

Kenny Smith told me that CART is where Scott should be and that F1 is where he is ultimately aiming for better or worse, my opinion. :)
Our own SKY-Watch programming Guide is saying he is in the IRL this season because he is contracted to Chip for this year. "Contracted to". There you have it Ed. ;)

Rusty.

nrc
03-04-03, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by mnkywrch
Okay, I have to ask - who? Who sat out an entire CART season and came back to CART in a good ride?

Some guy named Andretti?

It's really all according to how high your stock is and the circumstances for leaving. Dixon's stock was pretty high in CART last season.

Frankly I think it's a wash. Nobody is going to be impressed by his IRL exploits, but for a young driver I don't think it's going to be a permenant black mark since he's just fullfilling a contract.

I certainly don't rule out the possibility of F1 tests for the Toyota and Honda faithful. But for the "old" guys I don't think anyone will take them any more seriously than they did Helio's last year.

mnkywrch
03-04-03, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by nrc
Some guy named Andretti?

Who, Michael?

:laugh:

If your idea of "sitting out" a season in CART is running for McLaren in Formula 1, ....

Ed, It's nice to see the "He wasn't that talented anyways" line get pinned on Dixon. I've seen it used on about every CART driver who's ended up in the IRL.

Ed_Severson
03-04-03, 03:45 PM
"Ed, It's nice to see the "He wasn't that talented anyways" line get pinned on Dixon."

Is it? Because that's not what I said, not that that should stop you from putting words in my mouth.

I quote ... "I'm not of the opinion that Dixon is untalented."

My point was this -- whatever talent Dixon possesses, he's done little with it in champ cars towards proving that he's F1 material, nor will his exploits in the Tonywagons further his reputation in Europe. Winning at Nazareth and bumbling away your only shot at a road course win in Denver ain't gonna set the phone on fire, if you know what I mean.

Anything else you'd like to misinterpret?

TRDfan
03-04-03, 04:41 PM
Let me take this conversation another direction....

My son Geoffrey is a Scott Dixon fan.

Most agree that CART needs to build some stars.

This year Geoffrey can watch Scott race and cheer for him.

Geoffrey is 7 years old and won't know the difference what series Scott is in (although he did ask if they only go in circles).

I hope Scott fulfills his contract with Chip/Toyota and goes back to CART.

By racing this year, even in a format he's not that excited about, Dixon could help CART long term should he return by continuning to build a fan base. The smile on my sons face when he won on Sunday was priceless. Too bad we couldn't see a better interview etc (but that's another story)

Feel free to fire at the holes in my theory.

Steve

JoeBob
03-04-03, 04:59 PM
Scott's contract was with Toyota, and IIRC they transferred that contract to Ganassi. Ganassi had an option on Scott's services, and took up that option. I think Scott's agent even tried to get him out of it because he didn't want to race in the IRL, but those efforts failed.

Despite the happy face he's been putting on, I've heard that Scott is not at all happy about being in the IRL, and will really miss CART's tracks this year. I'd be very surprised if Scott races in the IRL in 2004. Then again, many of us said the same thing about de Ferran.

Railbird
03-04-03, 09:33 PM
Scott is a young racer, IMO he's gotta do what racers do.

Race

Ziggy
03-04-03, 09:51 PM
Ed Severson, you did a good job dealing with this topic. My thoughts on Dixon are much like yours. Scott is a great young racer. A roadracer with the inside track to F1? I really doubt it. I would have loved to see Dixon stay in CART. From what I gather, He sort of sold his soul last year to keep a seat in the series he raced in last year. (read Chip has the paperwork to keep him sewed up for 2003)

Dixon has the personality of a spoiled brat. A media darling he will never be. His big selling point lies in his talent. To keep working, he had to race somewhere. Maybe when He is done with this season in Formula Grandson He can go back to the series in which We, the racing fans, can determine just how much talent He has.

I hope he comes back.

Ziggy

Railbird
03-04-03, 10:04 PM
Hey Zig

I talked to him one night in the Flag Room, nice kid. He possess a dry wit and is a bar rat, fact is I've been told he's a part owner in a Broad Ripple establishment.

Driver value wise I thought him and Kanaan were the biggest losses in the migration.

Kiwifan
03-05-03, 04:34 AM
Krunch, welcome mate and will you help me out here? ;)

Rusty.

chop456
03-05-03, 05:31 AM
I'd like to see him back too. If he's on Toyota's "daMatta" plan to F1, he'd be stupid to sever ties, even if it means a year of tonywagon. I believe he has a small shot, unlike Dario.

I always thought of him as a sort of anti_helio. Just show up with your lunch bucket and do your thing. Keep your mouth shut - don't seek the spotlight.

I gained a lot of respect for him after the Road America race 2 years ago watching him hustle his car around with no rear wing trying to stay on the lead lap under caution. I don't know what they showed on TV, but that car was squirrely. Dude can drive.

turn1
03-05-03, 11:45 AM
It is my opinion that we should not pass judgement on these type of "career decisions" without have all of the facts or walking in the shoes of the driver making the decision. It is also my opinion that sitting out a year is quite often a detrimental approach in most any industry. Bottom line - your skills and edge diminish. Multiply this one hundred fold for someone with a speciality like race car driver or airplane pilot.

As a fan, do I get frustrated seeing drivers move or not get seats? Hell yes! However, my view as a fan is very jaded and often does not take in to consideration the many variables of the auto racing business, whether it be finance, politics, skill level, nepotism, or the like.

All things considered, I abide by my contract, keep my skills up driving high performance open wheel cars, and keep my mouth shut while I keep my feelers out in the series of my choice....

JLMannin
03-05-03, 12:51 PM
In 1994, Pruett resurected his career by taking a year off the circuit and testing Firestones in 1994. I think he did some road racing as well (TransAm?) When he returned to CART competition in 1995, he was competitive and won at least one race that year (Michigan) The Brahma deal the next season looked great on paper, but that team (Green) just didn't have their act together until several years later, in my opinion.

Moreno walked away from a Dale Coyne ride in 1997 (I think it was that year) and kept his skills honed in sportscars and did the "supersub" role, and landed a competive ride with Patrick and was alive in the championship until the last race.

Both of these drivers sat out a year and returned, and were competitive.

I don't think Dixon really had the option of sitting out the year - he was under a contract, and he is honoring that contract - I respect that. And I suspect that he is not wanting to burn any bridges with Toyota.

Speaking of burning bridges, Robbie Gordon left CART and then returned, albiet without the success that Pruett and Moreno had. Herta also sat out a year, banking on a ride with a 3rd Forsythe entry, but it did not pan out. He did impress in the Laguna Seca one-off, however.

John

JoeBob
03-05-03, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by JLMannin
In 1994, Pruett resurected his career by taking a year off the circuit and testing Firestones in 1994. I think he did some road racing as well (TransAm?) When he returned to CART competition in 1995, he was competitive and won at least one race that year (Michigan) The Brahma deal the next season looked great on paper, but that team (Green) just didn't have their act together until several years later, in my opinion.

The Brahma deal was actually with Patrick. In 1996, Brahma and Boesel were with Green (as Players had left Green and gone to Forsythe). In 1997, Green picked up the KOOL Sponsorship (and they started a short lived American Driver Development program) and Forsythe got the Player's sponsorship.

Boesel took the Brahma money to Patrick, and they expanded to 2 cars. There were supposedly some plans for Brahma to start selling their beer in the US, so they wanted an American driver as well as a Brazilian. However, Brahma's US plans fell through and they were soon out of CART all together.

RichK
03-05-03, 04:22 PM
Don't forget Alex Zanardi!

Originally posted by JLMannin

Moreno walked away from a Dale Coyne ride in 1997 (I think it was that year) and kept his skills honed in sportscars and did the "supersub" role, and landed a competive ride with Patrick and was alive in the championship until the last race.

Both of these drivers sat out a year and returned, and were competitive.

I don't think Dixon really had the option of sitting out the year - he was under a contract, and he is honoring that contract - I respect that. And I suspect that he is not wanting to burn any bridges with Toyota.

Speaking of burning bridges, Robbie Gordon left CART and then returned, albiet without the success that Pruett and Moreno had. Herta also sat out a year, banking on a ride with a 3rd Forsythe entry, but it did not pan out. He did impress in the Laguna Seca one-off, however.

John

JLMannin
03-05-03, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by RichK
Don't forget Alex Zanardi!

a huge oversight - thanks for pointing it out.

JoeBob, yes, I was incorrect on the sequence of events regarding the Brahma deal. Thanks:)

FortyOneFord
03-06-03, 06:12 AM
Well, when we find out where he's driving next year we'll know the truth; but for now, I'm willing to believe he had no choice. Sometimes your stuck, and you have to bide your time until another chance comes around.

One thing is for sure; if any of the guys that went over to earl want back into CART, they better driver their @sses off and do well, or they'll be overlooked in favor of some younger, cheaper F3000 hot shoe.

oddlycalm
03-06-03, 02:55 PM
Pruett made it crystal clear at the Town Meeting that Franchitti an Dixon are unhappy, and intimated others were as well. As I posted on another thread, the only reason the field at the 500 will be full this year is due to contractual obligations.

So much for the Vision of midwest circle burners making it to Indy. This year there is a full field at Indy only due to foreign mercenaries hired by foreign companies that would prefer to be doing something else that day in May. That should make them feel great over on TF.

krunch
03-06-03, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Kiwifan
Krunch, welcome mate and will you help me out here? ;)

Rusty.

Cheers Rusty!

I would have had something up sooner but I had problems posting.(thanks WickerBill for helping me out.)

The best thing you could say about Dixon's U.S. career so far is it's been "character building".
Seems like he's had to go the hard way all the way.
And after the PacWest fiasco last year it seems to me that he is paying dearly for the so-called lifeline he was thrown to keep him racing.
Scott Dixon has unfinished business in CART.
We haven't seen the best of him yet!

Unlike others that moved series this year Scott has time on his side.
At 22 he is as old and in a lot of cases younger than those still in the so-called Ladder series'.

Best thing he can do ,in my opinion, is to just see the year out and win these *******s their precious Indy500.
After all isn't that what everyone is there for.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.
Leaving CART for anything less than F1 is a backward step.
(and I have some doubts about F1 as well!)

Kiwifan
03-10-03, 04:00 AM
Glad to see you made it Krunch! I knew you could say it better than I. ;)

Rusty.