PDA

View Full Version : fraternal orders, groups

G.
05-16-05, 02:01 PM
Anybody have any experiece, opinions of the various community groups, fraternal organizations, etc., such as the Lion's club, Rotary club, Mason's, JayCee's, etc., etc.?

I am interested in joining a community group for networking, friendship and community service (not the court-ordered kind ;) ). Good idea? Bad idea? Conspiracy theories?

How does one get "invited" to join a group? What are the requirements for joining (age, fees, etc.)? Are there political leanings for a particular group? How much "mandatory" service is required for continued membership? Any unusual initiation rites (a la Mason's)?

I am leaning towards joining the Lion's club, due to their charity work (blindness). I have the email addy of the local chapter president. Do I just email him and ask for an invite?

Thoughts, please.

Warlock!
05-16-05, 02:12 PM
Thoughts, please.
I'm an Elk (http://www.elks.org/)... I guess they do community service as well as give coin to different charities and stuff, but I mainly joined for the dime drafts they used to have on Saturdays. Even though they did away with that (too many pending divorces ;) ), they still have cheap booze.

As far as networking is concerned, I've gained a few clients thru club association... plenty enuf to cover the $70 or so yearly fees.

The drinks are cheap, too.

racer2c
05-16-05, 02:14 PM
My dad was an Eagle and then a Lion for many, many years. Straight up clubs.

The Masons on the other hand...I'm one, but I can't say anything about it other than there is nothing secret about it at all. ;)

Sean O'Gorman
05-16-05, 02:28 PM
I heard if you save the life of a Stonecutter they let you join their organization.

JT265
05-16-05, 03:39 PM
My dad was an Eagle and then a Lion for many, many years. Straight up clubs.

The Masons on the other hand...I'm one, but I can't say anything about it other than there is nothing secret about it at all. ;)

Masons are WIDE OPEN compared to the club I belong to. I can't even tell you the name of my club, other than to say that it's like the Hotel California.

I can check out, but I can't ever leave. :cry:

:D

rosawendel
05-16-05, 03:44 PM
my dad is an elk.
they make good pancake breakfasts.

that doesn't sound right....

lone_groover
05-16-05, 03:48 PM
"bre'fusses"

I'm in the playaz club, myself.....

:)

Beevis
05-16-05, 03:53 PM
The No Homers are a cool group of dudes.

Sean O'Gorman
05-16-05, 04:00 PM
wave off :o

Spicoli
05-16-05, 04:06 PM
:thumbup: There's lots of stuff to join. But mostly those things are full of posers, losers, and slimy insurance sales buttheads. Save your money (except I would join anything that has dime beers).

You havin trubble makin friends or something???

There may be several reasons for this:

1. You are ugly. If so, go get a makeover, update the clothes (Crapus can help you with the poser Eurogoober look), and buy a Vethpa. Bathe.

2. You're stupid. you are not stupid, you post here and not TrackleForumb.

3. You are shy. Try experimenting with drugs or drinking to excess regualrly. Boozed up people are very easy to talk to, expecially when you are boozed up too. Boozed chicks are generally more "Frisky" than non-boozed chicks.

4. Busy Schedule. As Charles Bukowski said in Barfly
"Anyone can get a job. It takes a man to make it without working."

5. People don't understand me. Well no **** Sherlock - you're blogging about joining the Elks on an obscure CCWS innernet Bulletin Board.

Glad I could be of help! :thumbup:

KaBoom21
05-16-05, 04:21 PM
http://www.awism.com/mhsalumni/iseta.jpg
http://www.coastimpressions.com/images/shriners.jpg
http://www.phoenixmasonry.org/masonicmuseum/images/BobbingShriner1.jpg

spinner26
05-16-05, 04:54 PM
FOP Lodge always had it's perks, alot of political b.s. ame along with it but at the time, perks were worth it, I guess. Got out 10 years ago.

JT265
05-16-05, 07:41 PM
Registered sex offenders? :saywhat:

Uh-huh, an attempt at humor. Should have waved it off SeanO. See, I don't know what timbre your voice is, but talk like that irritates my posse.

So much so, you could find yourself talking like a Soprano.

:laugh:

BTW. SPICIKLY!! Cool post dooder. :thumbup:

Sean O'Gorman
05-16-05, 07:45 PM
Uh-huh, an attempt at humor. Should have waved it off SeanO. See, I don't know what timbre your voice is, but talk like that irritates my posse.

So much so, you could find yourself talking like a Soprano.

:laugh:

You mean this isn't like Indy, I don't get 3 attempts at a humor a day?

Oh well, its gone now. :o

Spicoli
05-16-05, 07:57 PM
thanks JT, bukowski was quite the philosopher.

Ankf00
05-16-05, 09:01 PM
Texas Exes. Ex-students' Association. Life Member.

I'll always be able to find a job in Cal, Texas, or NY no matter what :D