PDA

View Full Version : Sam Schmidt says cars much safer

TroyM1
05-15-05, 07:13 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/autoracing/story/8472615

Hey Sam, when you were injured they had already developed safer cars. Too bad TG had to bring on these crapwagons and take safety back many years.

Cam
05-15-05, 07:35 AM
Wow.... Rookie with a flamethrower!!!! :eek:

JT265
05-15-05, 08:20 AM
Schmidt said. "I never had any doubt Tony considered safety No. 1."

Uh-huh. Uh, ToeKnee? That's Sam, S-A-M, S-C-H-M-I-D-T. I will fax you my bank's routing number and the account I need that to go into.

Thanks so much.

Ziggy
05-15-05, 09:04 AM
Im sure they feel safer already.......

Ya think that maybe Sammy is getting some Tony Bucks to run his squad? :rolleyes:

lone_groover
05-15-05, 09:27 AM
....stupid cripple.

:thumdown:

Spicoli
05-15-05, 10:21 AM
somebody is looking for some fundage.

STFU wheels.

Andrew Longman
05-15-05, 10:48 AM
I think we need to filter the Indy spin of the author.

Sam said that with HANS, SAFER and better seats/headrests the cars are safer. I think we all agree that those things have added considerably to the safety of the cars.

The fact that all these guys have been whacking the wall and flying through the air this week and all we have are a few concussions, a bruised knee and back and a broken back is remarkable. Sam's shunt was only 55Gs.

That all said, the writer fails to ask why these cars are backing into walls and flying into the air in the first place. There seems to ba an attitude of. "They're race cars. They crash".

I just know that in the early 90s when we saw a rash of foot injuries, CART moved the front bulkhead forward and set standards for front crumple zones and they did it fast.

Who knows? Maybe safety is #1 to TG, but he doesn't seem to know what to do about it (though I will give him a lot of credit for SAFER, even if the first use of foam blocks was at Flemington Speedway about 20 years ago)

Methanolandbrats
05-15-05, 10:56 AM
The fact that all these guys have been whacking the wall and flying through the air this week and all we have are a few concussions, a bruised knee and back and a broken back is remarkable. :saywhat:

Paintergeek
05-15-05, 11:22 AM
....stupid cripple.

:eek: Oh my god! Thats the ballsiet post I have ever read!! :eek:

Andrew Longman
05-15-05, 11:45 AM
:saywhat:

Let me clarify. The accidents should not be happening and they shouldn't be happening the way they are happening. There is something wrong with the cars.

But 5+ years ago the same accidents caused worse injuries. Are the cars better during an impact or are they just lucky. I think both. Lucky especially that a car hasn't gone over the fence and that a rear impact hasn't hurt anyone worse. I don't care how much better the car is there is only so much you can do to absorb an 80G whack and only so many 80G whacks before your luck runs out.

Methanolandbrats
05-15-05, 12:42 PM
....stupid cripple.

:thumdown: That's insensitive and offensive. Please edit your post to read handicapped idiot. Thank you. ;)

fourrunner
05-15-05, 12:53 PM
I Believe that Tony George holds the lease on Sam's Wheelchair ... So whatever he says is just from his desire to get out of the house! :eek:

fourrunner
05-15-05, 01:00 PM
....stupid cripple.

Ladies & Gentlemen ... Our next Ambassador to the United Nations !! ;)

lone_groover
05-15-05, 01:04 PM
On second thought, we're being a little hard on Schmidt. Can't begrudge a guy the chance to ramp-up his efforts by appeasing his patron.

:cry:

Spicoli
05-15-05, 01:43 PM
"RAMP UP"

:rofl:

Methanolandbrats
05-15-05, 03:08 PM
On second thought, we're being a little hard on Schmidt. Can't begrudge a guy the chance to ramp-up his efforts by appeasing his patron.

:cry: http://www.thorstenkaye.com/bowing.gif

dando
05-15-05, 03:25 PM
That's insensitive and offensive. Please edit your post to read handicapped idiot. Thank you. ;)
I was thinking along the lines of vertically challenged. :gomer:

-Kevin

FRANKY
05-15-05, 08:25 PM
....stupid cripple.

Not sure what is worse, being a "cripple" or being a F****** idiot.

Racing Truth
05-16-05, 12:12 PM
....stupid cripple.

My father, a high school teacher, would rightfully call this a "teachable moment." I fully understand that Schmidt's comments were dumb. I fully realize you didn't mean to offend millions of people. But you did.

As someone with a disability, who uses a motorized wheelchair, the word "cripple" makes me cringe. It infers that someone with a disability is somehow "less human" and it furthers a stereotype that those with a disability are automatically "retarded" (another hideous word). I, along with thousands of Americans with disabilities who continually make vital contributions to society, beg to differ.

For some reason, you chose to make his disability regarding his capacity to make such a comment. This is absurd on its face. Brainfart, TG, or anyone else in the IRL could easily have made similar remarks. "stupid cripple" infers that not only is Schmidt stupid, but that his disability somehow adds to the alleged stupidity. Why could you not have just said "stupid gomer?" It would have gotten the exact same point across. Instead you chose to make an issue of his disability, as if that defines his very humanity.

To be sure, living with a disability gives me a different perspective, but don't we all have our own unique perspectives? At the same time, I do not let my disability define who I am. To cave in on that temptation would be to think less of myself. I am 21 years old, a sports enthusiast, political nut, and aspiring freelance writer FIRST AND FOREMOST. Yes, I also happen to have a neuromuscular disorder.

But I am not "that disabled guy," or even "that crippled guy." I am "that person with a disability." What's the difference? In the first 2 examples, the disability is THE defining aspect, where as in the final example, the "person" is stressed first. Because ultimately, I am a human being with the same hopes, dreams, pitfalls, and vanities as anyone else.

I apologize for the lecture, but it needed to be said.

Newtpal
05-16-05, 12:27 PM
My father, a high school teacher, would rightfully call this a "teachable moment." I fully understand that Schmidt's comments were dumb. I fully realize you didn't mean to offend millions of people. But you did.

As someone with a disability, who uses a motorized wheelchair, the word "cripple" makes me cringe. It infers that someone with a disability is somehow "less human" and it furthers a stereotype that those with a disability are automatically "retarded" (another hideous word). I, along with thousands of Americans with disabilities who continually make vital contributions to society, beg to differ.

For some reason, you chose to make his disability regarding his capacity to make such a comment. This is absurd on its face. Brainfart, TG, or anyone else in the IRL could easily have made similar remarks. "stupid cripple" infers that not only is Schmidt stupid, but that his disability somehow adds to the alleged stupidity. Why could you not have just said "stupid gomer?" It would have gotten the exact same point across. Instead you chose to make an issue of his disability, as if that defines his very humanity.

To be sure, living with a disability gives me a different perspective, but don't we all have our own unique perspectives? At the same time, I do not let my disability define who I am. To cave in on that temptation would be to think less of myself. I am 21 years old, a sports enthusiast, political nut, and aspiring freelance writer FIRST AND FOREMOST. Yes, I also happen to have a neuromuscular disorder.

But I am not "that disabled guy," or even "that crippled guy." I am "that person with a disability." What's the difference? In the first 2 examples, the disability is THE defining aspect, where as in the final example, the "person" is stressed first. Because ultimately, I am a human being with the same hopes, dreams, pitfalls, and vanities as anyone else.

I apologize for the lecture, but it needed to be said.

Great post :thumbup: Definitely needed to be said.

Andrew Longman
05-16-05, 12:45 PM
This past Saturday I took my 9 year old daughter to help Echo graduate. Echo is a service dog trained to help those who are wheelchair bound. Echo was raised by my folks who are in England at the moment and so they asked Melissa to stand in for them.

Melissa presented Echo to Laura who has MS. Echo will retrieve items, turn lights on and off, help in many other ways, but most of all transform Laura from the woman in the wheelchair to that lady with the cool dog.

My folks are raising their sixth puppy and I can say from this most recent and prior graduation that what Race Writer says is true. The people I have met are just as varied as the general population. Some are good and some are not. Some are kind and some are truly inspirational. The fact that they are disabled doesn't change any of that.

As an aside, see http://www.caninecompanions.org/

Throw them a donation if you like. They are a great bunch doing really great work.

Brickman
05-16-05, 01:09 PM
I kinda figure saying something like that should be done face to face.

Sam Schmidt
7991 W. 21st Street, Bldg C
Indianapolis, IN