PDA

View Full Version : This used to be a special day

TroyM1
05-14-05, 06:36 AM
I remember when I was a kid, I would look forward to pole day. I remember getting to the track before 7:00 to be one of the first ones in the gate to claim the E-stand penthouse seats. I remember the near full grandstands as the first qualifier took the track at 11:00. Now, just a few people show, and the Tony Boys from TF all act like it is still the same magical event it was 15 years ago.

Cam
05-14-05, 07:07 AM
WOW!!!! Dude.... You wanna bottle that and open it in the offices at 16th and Georgetown? We all feel that way! :(

RTKar
05-14-05, 10:27 AM
For the last 10 years, whenever May rolls around, I get the same angry feeling. A feeling that I'm missing something through no fault of my own.

dando
05-14-05, 10:55 AM
I was crushed when Rahole dint make the show back in '94. Now....rain baby, rain! :gomer:

-Kevin

Michaelhatesfans
05-14-05, 11:21 AM
I was crushed when Rahole dint make the show back in '94. Now....rain baby, rain! :gomer:

-Kevin
And locusts. Don't forget the locusts.

Napoleon
05-14-05, 01:42 PM
Why, whats today?

Me, I am going to hang blinds and do laundry and I am long over pole day.

Methanolandbrats
05-14-05, 01:43 PM
I'm watching because I learn so much from Scott Goodyears insightful comments.

Night Train
05-14-05, 02:15 PM
The IRL makes God cry!

SurfaceUnits
05-14-05, 03:41 PM
I'm sorta sad that qual day has been cancelled. I couldn't wait to see the gomers attribute the small crowd and low TV veiwership to the fact that the NLL Lacrosse:The title game was on today. :rolleyes:

Mike Kellner
05-14-05, 04:01 PM
There's always tomorrow. :cry:

I hope the entire network broadcast is spent watching IMS' Weeper Wiper squad out working on the track, and perhaps some stirring shots of tow trucks running laps at 70 mph while towing a bunch of tires chained together. :laugh:

»ò

Boycott Indy. Save Racing From Tony. Do It For The Children.

Methanolandbrats
05-14-05, 04:08 PM
It's raindance time

http://www.hanksville.org/voyage/images/raindance.jpg

Mike Kellner
05-14-05, 04:12 PM
Is that why it's called Indiana? :gomer:

»ò

EDwardo
05-14-05, 04:16 PM
Just goes to show you, if you suck bad enough you attract rain clouds....

nrc
05-14-05, 04:33 PM
Any chance of another rain-out tomorrow? If so, what will Junky and Seabass do?

Mike Kellner
05-14-05, 04:52 PM
I hope they have qualifying next weekend so those two traitors, and their turncoat team owner have to show which side they are on.

However, it looks like good enough weather for quals tomorrow. Low chance for rain, some wind, and a good spread between temp & dewpoint, which means the Sacred Bricks will dry out. We can always pray for weepers.

Perhaps this just means the Great Gomer thought they'd get a better crowd on Sunday, maybe even 1000 who aren't related to someone on a team, and paid to get in. Just like the good old days, when they also used to get over a thousand paid admissions.

»ò

Methanolandbrats
05-14-05, 05:18 PM
We can always pray for weepers. Done. And the occasional light shower at 30 minute intervals till about 4pm GST.

pchall
05-14-05, 05:33 PM

They'll arrive in Monterrey in one piece, that's for sure.

DaveL
05-14-05, 05:44 PM
Considering there is no competition to actually make the race, if one of those trucks puts 4 clean laps together it can qualify...probably faster than the Foyts.

Hey, does anyone remember when a guy would take a first day time that was so so and we'd wonder whether or it would hold up to make the race?

dando
05-14-05, 05:46 PM
Nope. Showers will clear out tonight, but it's gonna be windy and chilly tomorrow. They'll prolly spend alot of time cleaning up debris from IV and FTG Jr. :gomer:

-Kevin

dando
05-14-05, 06:17 PM
So is this a pic of Depender waiting out the rain @ IMS today? :gomer:

http://espn.go.com/media/rpm/2005/0514/photo/a_indy_frt.jpg

-Kevin

Mike Kellner
05-14-05, 06:19 PM
I donno... That guy had enough sense to put on a rain coat. :laugh:

mk

TKGAngel
05-14-05, 07:39 PM
Flipping channels during a commercial break from the West Wing, and saw that there was a family in the stands sitting there (after the qualies were cancelled), and they were so desperate for racing action, they were cheering the track tourbus as it passed by.

And whatever happened to the days where a guy would show up with a car, 4 tires, a roll of duct tape and make a bonzai run into the field? Now its just hoping to see that there will be a full field. :shakehead

dando
05-14-05, 07:44 PM
And whatever happened to the days where a guy would show up with a car, 4 tires, a roll of duct tape and make a bonzai run into the field? Now its just hoping to see that there will be a full field. :shakehead

Well, if Spicoli's call on the engines is correct, that may well be the case very soon. :gomer:

-Kevin

SurfaceUnits
05-15-05, 10:14 AM
Once again, no bumping on Bump Day :laugh: And PN still unimpressed. Team members said they did not expect Newman, who rarely misses a Champ Car race, to be here for the race.

Methanolandbrats
05-15-05, 10:41 AM
So all the IRL gets is a one-hour highlight show on ESPN2 today since they shot their big network time on four hours of Scott Goodyear explaining how rain works?

Ankf00
05-15-05, 01:01 PM
it's a beautiful day today :)

fourrunner
05-15-05, 01:04 PM
There are Literrally "hundred's" of Fans taking advantage of that Beautiful Weather!