PDA

View Full Version : Okay GPL buffs...

rabbit
03-03-03, 07:01 PM
I just got my copy today :cool: (finally). It was given to me by a non-racefan friend who said it was "too hard." I'm ready to get started on it right away. Any advice, tips, suggestions? If I want to race online, do I need high-speed or does dial-up work fine?

RacinM3
03-03-03, 08:04 PM
Oh boy.

The most frustrating game ever for a newbie. Do you have a wheel? It's almost required to drive it well. As you begin, just hang in there.

You can race online using dial up, but it's been way more stable for me since I got cable.

Go here for patches (make sure you get them all): www.racesimcentral.com.

Good luck!!

RacinM3
03-03-03, 08:05 PM
Here's a link to the patches. Again, make sure you get and load them all!

http://www.racesimcentral.com/downloads/gpl/tool.shtml

mnkywrch
03-03-03, 08:29 PM
You can also get some of the patches at http://www.papy.com. Make sure you get the 1.2 patch installed - out of the box, all the cars are too low and bottom out, which makes them beastly to handle.

The default setups come with full tanks. It may help to drain the tanks to start.

As far as the game, start out with the slower cars - the Trainers. Or get the GPL Engine Changer and replace the F1 motors with F2 motors.

I'd recommend Alison Hine's (http://eaglewoman.simracing.dk/gpl/setups.htm) setups.

Monza and Watkins Glen are good tracks to start at - little elevation change and easy to learn. The Ring is fun but no reason to conquer all 14 miles now.

You're probably still look like Lavin or Shiggy for months. Everyone does, so smile & enjoy it! :)

JT265
03-03-03, 08:49 PM
Hey Shiggy, er, um, I mean wrench,:D you guys still playin'?

mnkywrch
03-03-03, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by JT265
Hey Shiggy, er, um, I mean wrench,:D you guys still playin'?

This from a guy I levelled at Mexico?

Naw, we haven't tried in a while. We should, we should... but I can't do it until April.

Oh, one more piece of advice for rabbit - be careful when trying to pass Warlock on the straights. He doesn't chop like Schumacher on purpose - he's just reachin' for another BEER... :D

Foxman
03-03-03, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by mnkywrch
He doesn't chop like Schumacher on purpose - he's just reachin' for another BEER... :D

LMAO! Now, if you happen to catch up to me, I chop on purpose :p

JT265
03-03-03, 10:17 PM

Naw, we haven't tried in a while. We should, we should... but I can't do it until April.

:D I forgot, I sent my pay driver that night! Hulio, or Helio, can't remember his name.

And Foxman's right. He DOES chop, ignores yellows, (by claiming his chat switch is off):p but Warlock is cool. Just gotta scare him off is all! :D

mnkywrch
03-03-03, 11:05 PM
Warlock's our very own Jos the Boss... :laugh:

Warlock!
03-04-03, 08:39 AM
Wow. Nuthin' like gettin my d**** dragged through the gravel when I'm not around!

Rabbit... As wrench said, go to www.papy.com downloads page, located HERE (http://www.papy.com/html/downloads.htm), and download the 1.2 patch.

Now, depending on your graphics card, you may also need to download either the Direct3D patch or the Beta OpenGL patch on the same page (I believe 3DFX capable cards are the only ones supported in the original game, hence the patches).

If your 'puter is faster than 1.7 GB, you'll need to download the CPU Speed Fix, also located at papy.com.

Some sort of steering wheel is almost required, although NYR was pretty capable with a keyboard (no idea how). The force-feedback implemented into this game is probably the best there is, so a force-feedback wheel makes the experience that much better.

As far as getting online, dial-up is all that's necessary for small get-togethers, and usually the only time it's a problem with larger fields is at the start.

Now, get updating and c'mon back if ya gots problems... we'll get 'em sorted for ya!

Winter Warlock!

rabbit
03-08-03, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Warlock!
Now, get updating and c'mon back if ya gots problems... we'll get 'em sorted for ya!

Winter Warlock! Okay, I can't get it to work. When I try to play it, I get the title screen and then it closes.:confused: :mad:

mnkywrch
03-09-03, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by rabbit
Okay, I can't get it to work. When I try to play it, I get the title screen and then it closes.:confused: :mad:

Have you added any patches or tracks lately?

rabbit
03-10-03, 12:30 AM
I installed it, tried to play it and it didn't work. I downloaded the patches you guys said to download and it still didn't work.

When I installed it I did get an error message that said something to the effect of "Your version of ActiveMovie is newer than the version you are trying to install. Please uninstall ActiveMovie before proceeding." The only problem was, I did a search for "ActiveMovie" and no such file was found on my computer.

Warlock!
03-10-03, 08:22 AM
I got that same message, rabbit, so I doubt that's got anything to do with it. Do you know what kind of video card you have? I don't remember how the patches are installed... do you have to point to the directory in which the original GPL is installed? Is there a chance you pointed them to the wrong directory? It sounds like the game tries to load, sees some files are missing or corrupt, then closes.

Even if you don't have the correct video driver checked it should still start in "software" mode. It should run, but it will look like poop.

Spill yer system specs, bro...

Winter Warlock!

rabbit
03-12-03, 07:56 PM
After a half-dozen uninstalls and reinstalls, I'm making negligable progress. Now, after displaying the title screen, it goes back to the desktop and I get an error message that says, "This application has failed to start because glide2x.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." This message repeats once when I click OK, then one comes up that says, "This application has failed to start because redline.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

Frankly, I'm baffled, frustrated, and thinking Minesweeper and Solitare are sounding more fun all the time.:cry:

mnkywrch
03-12-03, 09:08 PM
After a half-dozen uninstalls and reinstalls, I'm making negligable progress. Now, after displaying the title screen, it goes back to the desktop and I get an error message that says, "This application has failed to start because glide2x.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." This message repeats once when I click OK, then one comes up that says, "This application has failed to start because redline.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

Frankly, I'm baffled, frustrated, and thinking Minesweeper and Solitare are sounding more fun all the time.:cry:

What are you setting in setup under "video card"?

What type of video card do you have?

You may be selecting the wrong card.

rabbit
03-13-03, 02:06 AM
To be honest, I'm not sure what video card I have. When I bought the computer a year ago, I wasn't really thinking about playing games on it. When I first set it up, I chose "software."

Since I posted the last message, I unistalled it, re-installed it(choosing the 3Dsomethingorother setting), and downloaded JUST the 1.2 patch. I can get the game to start and set up a new driver, but the game freezes when the calibrate controller menu comes up. I don't have a joystick or wheel yet and just want to try it out with the keyboard before I buy one, which I do plan on doing. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Oh, and BTW, I still get those three error messages for missing files before the game opens.:confused:

rabbit
03-13-03, 03:03 AM
It seems like the more times I try to run it, the more it will do. I actually got to do a lap at Monza!!!!! The only problem was, it took me four or five times of having to restart my computer cause it froze. Then, when I did get my lap in, the game quit as I came down the main straight at full song.

mnkywrch
03-13-03, 07:16 AM
What are your system specs?

Warlock!
03-13-03, 08:41 AM
Try downloading and installing the direct3D patch and the beta OpenGL patch. This will give you 2 more choices in your video driver setup. After they're installed, go to video options and select the direct3D option first... it's the most common. Try it and if you get similar or worse results, try the OpenGL driver... let us know, mang...

Winter Warlock!

Foxman
03-13-03, 10:12 AM
I'm with warlock, the direct3d patch will do wonders, what OS are you running? sound card? vid card? memory? processor? etc?

rabbit
03-14-03, 05:09 PM
What are your system specs? I know I have a 1.4 Gig processor and a 44 Gig hard drive. How do I find out the rest? :gomer: :o

rabbit
03-14-03, 05:37 PM
The direct3d works great except, now the guardrails are real patchy, and the text on the different menus is illegible. I installed the OpenGl patch, but it doesn't appear on the list of selections.

Hink
03-14-03, 07:55 PM
What is your OS and what type of video card do you have?

The best GPL forum on the web is at www.racesimcentral.com

rabbit
03-14-03, 08:33 PM
Hink,

1. Win XP
2. dunno

Hink
03-15-03, 06:05 PM
From a vague memory I think there is a Win XP patch/fix out there. Grep (search) that forum and they'll show you how. I would but I boot ME for games still. If you don't know your vid card, stick with software mode until you get the gpl_d3d.exe patch installed. Since you have XP and a 1.4G proc it sounds like you have a newer PC and that executable would probably detect your card.

Also on patches - there is sometimes an installation order that is correct. There is for sure in this game. I can't tell you exactly what it is though. (don't 100% remember - I think you install the general 1.2 patch first) You will need gpl_cpufix_us.exe if you have a fast proc. (1.4G may need it - you'll know for sure if it's really choppy)

Check out that forum - they will get you through it.

rabbit
03-15-03, 10:56 PM
Thanks for all your help guys. I think I've finally got it all figured out. There are a few small bugs yet to work out. I'll be sure to check out racesimcentral if I need more help.

I must say that wrench was wrong when he said I'd feel like Shiggy or Lavin. I wish I was doing that well. I have yet to complete a single lap without a spin, and my first time around Mexico City I ended up on my roof THREE times.:o :o :o :o

I'm having an absolute blast though!:D :thumbup: I can't wait to try to run with you guys sometime! (Hopefully I won't get in your way too much.) :)

DaveL
03-15-03, 11:50 PM
What are your system specs?

Spoken like a tech support guy who has no idea how to solve the problem and asks the obligitory above question to try to sound like he knows what he's doing :)

Warlock!
03-16-03, 04:49 AM
I have yet to complete a single lap without a spin, and my first time around Mexico City I ended up on my roof THREE times.:o :o :o :o
A wheel will help immensley.

And what's that about landing on your roof? You sure you didn't get some NASCAR game by accident?;)

Winter Warlock!

rabbit
03-16-03, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Warlock!
And what's that about landing on your roof? You sure you didn't get some NASCAR game by accident?;)

Winter Warlock! Roof, roll-hoop, whatever.:gomer: Not that it matters. Strap a 6'8' guy in one of those cars and I'd be decapitated and the bloody stump would be ground down to my shoulders before the roll hoop would touch the asphalt.:eek:

mnkywrch
03-16-03, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by DaveL
Spoken like a tech support guy who has no idea how to solve the problem and asks the obligitory above question to try to sound like he knows what he's doing :)

I'm a pro. Trust me. :thumbup: :laugh: