PDA

View Full Version : Road America 2003

rabbit
03-03-03, 06:19 PM
Okay, so do I try to make the trip this year? I've never been there before and I definitely want to go this year for reasons we're all aware of. I'm planning on taking my vacation that week if I do go. But what if it gets called off? My boss needs my vacation request form soon and I need to figure out what to do.

RTKar
03-03-03, 07:19 PM
I would certainly try, it's a great venue but check for lodging availability. Because of the EEA air show in Oshkosh there are few if any openings at motels and hotels in the area. Milwaukee may be the only place with any openings.

rabbit
03-03-03, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by RTKar
I would certainly try, it's a great venue but check for lodging availability. Because of the EEA air show in Oshkosh there are few if any openings at motels and hotels in the area. Milwaukee may be the only place with any openings. The wife and I were thinking about camping. We usually try to go camping once a year and thought maybe this could be our trip this year.

Ziggy
03-03-03, 09:54 PM
Go and camp. I suggest the area right above the paddock. Take a bike with you if you can, two sounds like a better idea. It is a great place to camp and see a race. It is very big, so its not like your at Mid Ohio with a looney bin fringe. Elkhart Lake is a real gem of a track. You must see it to believe it.

Ziggy

rocket
03-04-03, 12:40 AM
The track is ecxcellent rabbit, and I'm sure you would enjoy it very much. They do offer camping at the track, we stay at Plymouth Rock campground which is just 100 yards or so up the road. It is a little pricey there, but from what I understand, if you purchase your race tix for RA through them you get a discount on the camping. I believe they do offer free camping in the tent area, and if you get a site with water/electric I think it is a 30% discount. Don't quote me on that though. The tix are the same $$ as throught the RA box office. Their # is 920-892-4252, we have our res. on site 427 already. I beleive several from the forum will be there that weekend, including myself, my brother and his wife/kids, Warlock! & family, and I think chop456 & family too.

rabbit
03-04-03, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by rocket
I beleive several from the forum will be there that weekend, including myself, my brother and his wife/kids, Warlock! & family, and I think chop456 & family too. Are you kidding?! If I bring my wife, I'm avoiding you guys like the plague! If she actually got to meet you, she'd never let me back on the internet again!;) :p :o

Lizzerd
03-04-03, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by rabbit
Are you kidding?! If I bring my wife, I'm avoiding you guys like the plague! If she actually got to meet you, she'd never let me back on the internet again!;) :p :o

Awww... thanks, rabbit. I consider that a compliment... :) :rofl: :)

Warlock!
03-04-03, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by rabbit
If she actually got to meet you, she'd never let me back on the internet again!;) :p :o
Don't worry. I can't speak for the rest of the guys, but I'm a pretty tame guy when I'm around the rest of my family... even if I don't wanna be :cry:

Do it rabbit... it's very mid-ohio-esque, only spread way-the-hell out.

Winter Warlock!

Napoleon
03-04-03, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Warlock!
Do it rabbit... it's very mid-ohio-esque, only spread way-the-hell out.

Winter Warlock!

I got a laugh last year out of you sitting there on Firemans Hill saying something to the effect of "wow is this place big, wait 'till I tell AV about it."

Railbird
03-04-03, 03:12 PM
Two words rabbit

Golf Cart

I'd sleep in a ditch to make it to RA but I'm not walking that place anymore.

Speaking of a chuckle, last year I'm sitting on the cart sipping a cold one with my binocs handy, so I start scanning around for eye candy. Lo and behold what do I spy but Nappy pushing his bike up Firemans hill looking very Bataan death march esque.

Being an old fart has it's advantages.

oddlycalm
03-07-03, 06:56 PM
Golfcarts indeed 'bird. I also like the look of the Segway for track use. Although it doesn't haul it's own refreshments and shade...:cool:

Just curious, does RA offer golfcart rentals at the track, or is it run-what-you-brung? I agree regarding the benefits of old fartdom.

oc

RaceChic
03-07-03, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Railbird
Two words rabbit

Golf Cart

I'd sleep in a ditch to make it to RA but I'm not walking that place anymore.

Definately!!!! It is painful without one!!!
Lizzerd and I are doing it this year for sure.

And you can't miss this one. I will drive all the way from Toronto to get there. It is the best track I have ever been too, even if I almost went down a hill on my butt with beer my hand to get in close at Canada Corner:rofl: :laugh:

Napoleon
03-07-03, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by oddlycalm
Just curious, does RA offer golfcart rentals at the track, or is it run-what-you-brung?

They rent them - its something like 200 or 300 a weekend.

Originally posted by Railbird
Speaking of a chuckle, last year I'm sitting on the cart sipping a cold one with my binocs handy, so I start scanning around for eye candy. Lo and behold what do I spy but Nappy pushing his bike up Firemans hill looking very Bataan death march esque.

Hey, I considered that good exercise. At least thats what I told myself.

Foxman
03-07-03, 07:21 PM
Last year it was $300 for the weekend IIRC. I looked at getting one but decided against it, that track is GREAT exercise.

Railbird
03-07-03, 09:32 PM
3 bills for the weekend, and well worth it.

I had it to myself Friday, then when my kid and his buddy showed up I started riding around standing in the back in Patton mode..

Good time

RTKar
03-08-03, 12:17 PM
Save the money and walk, it's great excercise to burn off the calories from the outstanding brats and and apple pie ala mode but if you see me bruised, dirty and tired lying along side a trail as you zoom along in your golfcart, please have mercy and give me a lift to the next food stand.

Turn7
03-09-03, 12:41 AM
The year I was there they had a stretch limo type golf cart that would take you where ever you wanted to go for a buck.

I say walk it and if you are getting tired, catch the cab. I think a cart rents for around 350 or so for the weekend, that is a lot of cab rides.

JMO.

tantra
03-09-03, 01:19 AM
Yes, the limo cart is free. Waiting for it takes patience (which I don't have at the track) so I walked miles, and miles.
Hey, I'm 60, loaded down with a bunch of stuff I can't remember why I carry any move, and I got around the place on foot OK for three days.

To get to Canada corner, it's best to have good hiking-type shoes with some serious grip. You already heard how at least one of us almost spilled her beer trying to get down there.

RA is the best place you will ever go to see a race. See you there.

Lizzerd
03-09-03, 03:12 AM
The limo cart is a buck a ride or 5 bucks a day. They have no scheduled runs, so if you are in the nether reaches of say, the carousel, good luck if you are waiting for one to come around. Two years ago, I waited, and waited, and... waited, in the rain, for one to show up at the Snap On bridge (to the carousel). It's hard to walk up hills with a knee that was dislocated a week before at Mid-Ohio.

Personal carts are available on zero notice on a day by day basis, $100 a day. I almost got one last year, but hitched rides with 'bird and some other friends from time to time.

Gurneyflap
03-09-03, 02:40 PM
Did I mention this somewhere else? If you get one of those damn carts and even THINK about running me out of your way on a pedestrian path, I'll take your friggin' beer can and jam it down your throat! ANOTHER great change for, apparently, the fat aging CART fan. Get out there and WALK. Ride a mountain bike! Drive your car and park in a variety of places. It's so EASY! Worth $300 bucks!? Not even close! If you must rent a ride don't get mad at the people walking around, ESPECIALLY in the paddock! (Can't ride a bike in there, but you can beep your way through the crowd in one of those obnoxious carts. Go figure) If you are behind me, you can STAY there. Stick to the roads and the pastures, and actually get OUT of the cart and STAND next to the fence when you watch. (I love you all. Just be POLITE!)

Railbird
03-09-03, 02:56 PM
I'll take your friggin' beer can and jam it down your throat!

I guess we'd see about all that.

My skinny old ass likes to move quickly from vantage point to vantage point between sessions. Nature walks are not my idea of a race weekend activity.

SteveH
03-09-03, 03:29 PM
Not sure if I'd waste a beer in the manner that Gurneyflap suggests but I do agree with much of what he's saying. Nothing infuriates me as much as having a traffic jam when three or four golf carts meet each other on the Toyota bridge while pedestrians try to avoid being run over. Or when a solo cart takes crosses the bridges without even lifting. The percentage golf carts that are driven by a-holes at RA might be small but they leave a lasting impression.

rocket
03-09-03, 04:50 PM
All I can say is that if you have a cart, you gotta have some consideration for us walkers, some people think just because they spend the $$$$ on a golf cart they have more right of way than everyone else. I almost got clipped once, then the lady gave me a nasty look like how dare I get in her way, well she was stuck in traffic and received a tirade of MF'ers from me followed by many cheers from others standing around. I think she was ready to just leave the cart and walk to get out of there.

Railbird
03-09-03, 04:58 PM
Sorry racefans, you can hurl all the beer cans and MFrs at me you want.

If Elkhart Lake is my big raceweekend of the year I'm staying in a nice motel, eating good meals in a lakeshore restaraunt and riding in a goddamm golf cart.

On the other hand, if I'm doing a two day trip to Mid Ohio I'm sleeping in the back of my truck, eating coldcuts out of the cooler and schlepping up and down the keyhole hill with sweat running down the crack of my ass.

Just the way I am.

Gurneyflap
03-09-03, 06:19 PM
Ahhh, DIVERSITY! No wonder you like CART! Of course I was exaggerating my reaction, I'm not at all belligerent, but I feel the carts ARE a problem. Some seem to agree with me. (hand me a beer and you may pass!)

Railbird
03-09-03, 08:31 PM
but I feel the carts ARE a problem. Some seem to agree with me.

and I understand.

But an ******* is an *******, whether mounted on wheels or not. I doubt you'll ever find a more sympathetic racefan than myself.

and yes I did park the cart once I arrived at my destination.

it's all good Gurneyflap.

rabbit
03-10-03, 03:33 PM
Well, I guess I don't need to decide whether or not to rent a cart now.:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :thumdown:

Gurneyflap
03-10-03, 07:24 PM
No comment!