PDA

View Full Version : Check this out

Andrew Longman
05-12-05, 07:18 PM
See http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0471721468/qid%3D1103229971/sr%3D1-1/ref%3Dsr%5F1%5F1/103-6948258-2247063?v=glance&s=books

Yes, that's me. Shameless self promotion. :)

Thanks to all who take interest.

Racing Truth
05-12-05, 07:22 PM
Nerd.

:D ;)

Congrats!

Andrew Longman
05-12-05, 07:36 PM
[QUOTE=Racing Truth]Nerd.QUOTE]

Jus' tryin' to keep it real. :)

Thanks

Sean O'Gorman
05-12-05, 07:49 PM
If it wasn't a serious subject, I was so going to post a funny review on it.

Congrats. :thumbup:

lone_groover
05-12-05, 07:51 PM
Very impressive!

Congrats big dog....

:thumbup: :) :thumbup:

skaven
05-12-05, 08:43 PM
Awesome. :thumbup:

We should all put a copy of this on our next expense report.

Classic Apex
05-12-05, 09:05 PM
Nice job!

:cool:

Andrew Longman
05-12-05, 10:00 PM

Thanks Sean. I know what restraint that takes for you. I should have thought of that before posting it here. ;)

FWIW, while it is a serious business book my approach for 15 years to project management consulting has been to not make it about the tools and techniques that makes everyone's hair hurt, but to make it about thinking clearly and getting work done.

If the project is worth doing then everything should simply be about getting it done. Charts and analysis and all that is only useful to the degree it helps people know what they need to do. If the project is fun, then all the better.

BTW, For years I've used an article in USA Today about what CART teams do to prepare for a fly away race as an example flawless execution with the exact necessary amount of formal project management applied to it. Just a check list and lot of teamwork and communication. No bigger hammer than needed.

nrc
05-12-05, 10:12 PM
"Setting aside theoretical exploration, complex formulas, and software-as-savior cure-alls".

Could be useful. I'm in a small organization that has a lot of small projects so I'm looking for ways to keep projects organized without adding too much overhead. One guy had the bright idea of doing everything in MS Project he spends more time putting tasks into Project than getting actual work done.

Congrats! :thumbup:

Night Train
05-12-05, 10:28 PM
In my experience (Building Systems Engineering) it is amazing how poorly many projects are managed, mostly due to budgetary concerns. People are so shortsighted in their budget planning, so the amount that they save on the first cost estimates, they wind up paying many times that on amount on the back end of a project.

I might give the book a try.

Night Train
05-12-05, 10:29 PM
"Setting aside theoretical exploration, complex formulas, and software-as-savior cure-alls".

Could be useful. I'm in a small organization that has a lot of small projects so I'm looking for ways to keep projects organized without adding too much overhead. One guy had the bright idea of doing everything in MS Project he spends more time putting tasks into Project than getting actual work done.

Congrats! :thumbup:

Good luck with Project. That has been nothing but a headache for me. Maybe I'm not smart enough to use it properly... ;)

racer2c
05-12-05, 10:58 PM
My sister just moved from an EDI manager to a project manger. I'll get this for her. :thumbup:

nrc
05-12-05, 11:05 PM
Good luck with Project. That has been nothing but a headache for me. Maybe I'm not smart enough to use it properly... ;)
Nah, It won't last. Sooner or later some actual work has to get done. Project is a good tool for large projects with multiple resources and dependencies, but for small projects it's just a lot of overhead.

Ankf00
05-13-05, 01:52 AM
i hate Project, yet i want to be a project manager... bossing around design, thermal, systems, materials, and stress guys looks like lotsa fun :gomer:

gantt chart == the Suck.

Andrew Longman
05-13-05, 08:39 AM

Apologies to WB. I do not intend this to be a forum for hawking my wares, but for those that hate Project, this can be a great help to learn and use it.

http://www.kepner-tregoe.com/ProjectLogic/projectlogic.cfm

It adapts MSP to follow the same rationale outlined in the book. I once taught a MSP class using this for the Port of Seattle. One engineer there, about 2 hours in the class said, "I've taken MSP classes 3 or 4 times and never got it until now" Maybe 5 times was the charm.

nrc
05-13-05, 03:34 PM
Apologies to WB. I do not intend this to be a forum for hawking my wares, but for those that hate Project, this can be a great help to learn and use it.I don't think you're hawking wares. You shared an accomplishment and then followed up on the comments with more information.

Now that we know that we can hit you up for free PM advice we're all even. :)

Dirty Sanchez
05-13-05, 04:30 PM
drunk book reviews coming shortly :laugh:

RichK
05-13-05, 04:35 PM
Congratulations, Andrew! It's cool to see one's name in lights.

nrc's first post is exactly what I was going to write!

I'm ordering a copy today.

FTG
05-13-05, 04:36 PM
How does making 562 time wasting posts on Internet forums fit into your formula? ;)

IlliniRacer
05-13-05, 04:45 PM

Feel free to rip on this though - http://hh-pub.com/book.php3?book=HH1095
I'm the second nerd listed (Last name is spelled wrong).

Congrats Andrew :thumbup:
I can't imagine the amount of work for 228 pages. 120 about killed me.

G.
05-13-05, 05:44 PM
We use a scheduling tool that makes MS Project look wonderful! In fact, I dumped a bunch of non-tasks into it and just went back to Project.

Congrats, Andrew!

Ankf00
05-13-05, 07:32 PM
sweeeeeet.

:cool:

Andrew Longman
05-13-05, 09:05 PM
How does making 562 time wasting posts on Internet forums fit into your formula? ;)

Only 562? Since what, January 2004? I thought it was much more than that. I guess I was counting all those back at 7G.

In reality this is my BS free zone that gives me a ten minute vacation from the crap of corporate/client/my own business life when I need it a couple times a day. :D

ncr: free advice? Sure, consultants are just like drug dealers, the first dose is for free. ;)

Crapus: I can hardly wait, but try to avoid brews with Sean.

Anteater
05-14-05, 10:23 AM
Congratulations on your acccomplishment! :thumbup:

oddlycalm
05-14-05, 12:25 PM
Congratulations Andrew. I know some people that are in dire need of this book... ;)

oc