PDA

View Full Version : A different kind of an I'm Sorry...

FRANKY
05-12-05, 05:57 PM
Boys. :p

Danica Patrick 227.633 (Fastest so far)

nrc
05-12-05, 06:02 PM

I've said that Danica had talent since seeing her in Barber Dodge. But we'll never get a true measure of it in the IRL because we can't be sure that someone doesn't have their thumb on the scale.

JoeBob
05-12-05, 06:10 PM
How can someone be a "talent" when their only win in a car was the pro division of the Toyota Celebrity race?

She's not incompetant, but she isn't a winner either - unless she gets the "special" rev-limiter

SteveH
05-12-05, 06:38 PM
She might be able to burn off a couple of very fast laps, even qualify high, but I wonder how well she will do in a 500 mile race. I have met Danica (not in a race environment) she is just a wisp, a tiny woman. Strong handshake, surprisingly strong, but that's only for a brief moment. I realize that the modern day IndyCar does not need to be manhanndled but still I have to wonder how well she will last. I really hope that doesn't bother her.

Racing Truth
05-12-05, 07:16 PM
She might be able to burn off a couple of very fast laps, even qualify high, but I wonder how well she will do in a 500 mile race. I have met Danica (not in a race environment) she is just a wisp, a tiny woman. Strong handshake, surprisingly strong, but that's only for a brief moment. I realize that the modern day IndyCar does not need to be manhanndled but still I have to wonder how well she will last. I really hope that doesn't bother her.

Well, I wondered that too at Motegi. Now, she fell back some to be sure, but not a Sarah Fisher meltdown. She struggles in traffic still, but running during the month could get her comfortable.

In short, she could do quite well. Win? Uhh, NO. Top 5? I wouldn't be shocked.

KobySon
05-12-05, 07:45 PM
I've said that Danica had talent since seeing her in Barber Dodge. But we'll never get a true measure of it in the IRL because we can't be sure that someone doesn't have their thumb on the scale.

In an IRL car, I'd put her exactly one notch above Juan Pablo's grandma.

:D

coolhand
05-12-05, 07:47 PM
Jaun is probably the best IRL driver ever

Chief
05-12-05, 07:56 PM
Jaun is probably the best IRL driver ever

One race legend!

Ankf00
05-12-05, 08:42 PM
and just when you think the Danica hype is over, it comes roaring back

nrc
05-12-05, 08:56 PM
How can someone be a "talent" when their only win in a car was the pro division of the Toyota Celebrity race?I said she has talent. I suppose it depends on your definitions whether that means she's "a talent".

What I mean is that she has the talent to be competitive and the potential to get better. But as I said, I think her podiums in Atlantic are a more reliable indication of her talent than anything she may do in the IRL.

Methanolandbrats
05-12-05, 08:58 PM
Reminds me of AJ's Popoff valve.

DagoFast
05-12-05, 10:36 PM
Danicle ain't the second coming of AJ in a (much) better looking wrapper.

Considering the team she drove for, she was adaquate at best in atlantics.

It's the team making her look like a hero now. Does anyone honestly believe it's "her" setup on the car?

She is better than Dnfischer, but thats not surprising considering their backgrounds. Danicle has to be better prepared coming from small formula cars, instaed of spridgets.

Based one the ONE drive I've seen, Katherine Legge is the real deal. Not Danicle.

coolhand
05-12-05, 10:39 PM
danica is piggy backing on some of the best equipment in the IRL.

i cannot say that she would be doing so well with a toyota and a team with less resources.

imagine if she was with a team the was like kelly racing. she would not be doing so well

racer2c
05-12-05, 11:02 PM
danica is piggy backing on some of the best equipment in the IRL.

i cannot say that she would be doing so well with a toyota and a team with less resources.

imagine if she was with a team the was like kelly racing. she would not be doing so well

Of course. My goodness, it's like you guys have forgotten what Indy momentum racing is all about. How many times have we seen a more experienced racer jump in a T car to make it in the show after some rookie can't get the job done and the good driver barely makes the cut. Holding your foot to the floor takes a car, not a driver.

nrc
05-12-05, 11:15 PM
Considering the team she drove for, she was adaquate at best in atlantics.It's impossible to say whether the team was a benefit in Atlantics or not. Their Lights team stunk the place up.

Based one the ONE drive I've seen, Katherine Legge is the real deal. Not Danicle.Danica raced against a much better field than Legge faced in Long Beach. I'm not prepared to declare either one better than the other, but it's silly to make a judgement based on that one race.

coolhand
05-12-05, 11:18 PM
what does "Dancle" come from?

racer2c
05-12-05, 11:24 PM
what does "Dancle" come from?

Bif.

DagoFast
05-12-05, 11:55 PM
Danica raced against a much better field than Legge faced in Long Beach. I'm not prepared to declare either one better than the other, but it's silly to make a judgement based on that one race.

That's why I made sure to CAPATALISE the "one" race. And I'm not crowning Legge the queen of the world either.But still, Legge showed me more talent, agressiveness and determination in that one race, than danicle did in an entire season.

JMHO.

oddlycalm
05-13-05, 12:54 AM
In an IRL car, I'd put her exactly one notch above Juan Pablo's grandma. :D Well that's the real news of course, someone finally beat Juan's grandmother in a fair race. ;)

Seriously, what Patrick and Legge have accomplished is actually quite a lot. Until now we would have never been able to have even a semi-serious discussion about a couple of female drivers that showed credible results in professional forumla cars. No, it's not the same degree of difficlulty as CART in 1993, but then these are drivers at the very beginning of their careers and they are just the first we've seen make it. My primary hope at this point is that Patrick doesn't get hurt driving a flying backbreaker and that Juan's grandmother isn't too upset. :gomer:

oc

coolhand
05-13-05, 01:02 AM
should we feel especially sorry for her if she gets hurt because she is a girl?

she is "one of the boys" so treat her so.

oddlycalm
05-13-05, 01:56 AM
should we feel especially sorry for her if she gets hurt because she is a girl? No, I feel the same way about anybody driving those cars and have so posted periodically over the last 9yrs. I've also watched several drivers burned alive including Eddie Sachs right in front of me, so I don't speak of such things lightly. I quit going to the IMS rather a long time ago because of TG's grandfather total lack of concern when it came to the well being of the drivers.

I do have a minor degree of personal interest in Patrick that dates from when she was an instructor at the BMW Performance Driving Center in Spartenburg, but has little to do with gender. Any 19yr old kid that can deal with an endless stream of wealthy alpha males and leave them better drivers by half, awed, and grinning from ear to ear is not your run of the mill kid.

Next time perhaps you'll spare me further ethopic emissions.

oc

Ankf00
05-13-05, 01:58 AM
Danica raced against a much better field than Legge faced in Long Beach. I'm not prepared to declare either one better than the other, but it's silly to make a judgement based on that one race.

great point, but the comparison is on more solid ground than the people who were hyping Danica because she made up more positions in her first races than AJ did b/c AJ won it from pole or crashed while Danica went from 7th to 4th or whatever she would do...

both have alot of racing left to show, but if Legge wins the title in decent fashion, she will have shown far more imo...

Napoleon
05-13-05, 06:08 AM
But we'll never get a true measure of it in the IRL because we can't be sure that someone doesn't have their thumb on the scale.

The second she went over I was convenced she was going to get the call.

RTKar
05-13-05, 06:57 AM
The second she went over I was convenced she was going to get the call.

Got to agree with you there. The same thought occurred to me. As slimy as tg has been, I wouldn't put it past him. How else could you get attention back to ims?

Dr. Corkski
05-13-05, 07:09 AM
That's why I made sure to CAPATALISE the "one" race. And I'm not crowning Legge the queen of the world either.But still, Legge showed me more talent, agressiveness and determination in that one race, than danicle did in an entire season.

JMHO.But Legge never had to race against the likes of Allmendinger, Dalziel, Fogarty, Valiante, etc. Need aggresiveness and the leader's car to break to pull out a win against a mediocre field does not exactly show she is better than the last overhyped female racer. There is also no question that Polestar is by far and away better than any team left in Atlantics this year.

Of course Danicle wouldn't do well with Kelley Racing, because they don't actually exist anymore. But since going fast on an oval in a crapwagon has more to do with the car than driver talent, that goes for just about any driver, so mentioning that was completely pointless. :gomer:

Methanolandbrats
05-13-05, 08:56 AM
Got to agree with you there. The same thought occurred to me. As slimy as tg has been, I wouldn't put it past him. How else could you get attention back to ims? Yup, of course it's rigged. That's why I mentioned AJ's popoff valve.

trauma1
05-13-05, 10:53 AM

who the f really cares,

nrc
05-13-05, 11:14 AM
both have alot of racing left to show, but if Legge wins the title in decent fashion, she will have shown far more imo...
I would agree with that. The Atlantic field doesn't measure up to years past, but there's still enough talent there that a championship in her first year will trump Danica's third place in her second.

I'll be following Legge's progress this year but I won't know anything about Danica's season that I don't see in headlines or read here.

pchall
05-13-05, 02:14 PM

Friday:

Tomas Scheckter 227.804 (Fastest so far)

Still plenty of time to sort out things.

BTW, Sheckter has a Cosworth-Chevy!

Racing Truth
05-13-05, 02:20 PM
Friday:

Tomas Scheckter 227.804 (Fastest so far)

Still plenty of time to sort out things.

BTW, Sheckter has a Cosworth-Chevy!

Hey, the engines have never gotten in the way of Scheckter. Sadly, Tomas Scheckter has gotten in the way of Tomas Scheckter. :gomer:

FRANKY
05-13-05, 02:21 PM
who the f really cares,

I do. It's better than Sarah's I'm sorry...I'm sorry...I'm sorry...I'm sorry...I'm sorry...I'm sorry...I'm sorry...I'm sorry...I'm sorry...I'm sorry...I'm sorry...I'm sorry...I'm sorry... IRL career. I'm glad a gal can take it to them.

Steve99
05-13-05, 02:32 PM
Hey, the engines have never gotten in the way of Scheckter. Sadly, Tomas Scheckter has gotten in the way of Tomas Scheckter. :gomer:
I thought it was usually the wall that got in the way?

Racing Truth
05-13-05, 02:36 PM

Well, yes, but he does have a stunning talent for finding it! ;) :laugh:

Napoleon
05-13-05, 02:51 PM

Or a lady of the night at the curb.

Napoleon
05-13-05, 03:01 PM
Got to agree with you there. The same thought occurred to me. As slimy as tg has been, I wouldn't put it past him. How else could you get attention back to ims?

Minutes after my original post on DP getting the call the local NBC affiliate talking heads start talking all about her. What was interesting is the man sounded like he was fairly familiar with the situation surrounding IMS and he specifically said that their ratings had been down for several years and that someone like her doing well may end up being a help. It came across as unscripted, which is rare on TV news.

Sean O'Gorman
05-13-05, 05:28 PM
Or a lady of the night at the curb.

Its not picking up a hooker that ruined his career, it was the getting caught. :laugh: