PDA

View Full Version : Hopefully because of the result, it will be the last LA TV chase for some time.

Brickman
05-12-05, 02:41 PM
http://www.nbc4.tv/news/4479113/detail.html

JoeBob
05-12-05, 02:51 PM
For some time...

or until the ratings book is published.

mapguy
05-12-05, 03:08 PM
Runs from the cops. Gets out of the car with a gun. Dumbazz got what he deserved.

coolhand
05-12-05, 03:32 PM
Runs from the cops. Gets out of the car with a gun. Dumbazz got what he deserved.

exactly

RacinM3
05-12-05, 03:54 PM
Yep, swift removal from the gene pool was DEFINITELY the justified result.

No civil suit award on this one. Guy jumps from the car and heads for a crowded restaraunt with a gun in plain sight. Get's taken down by one shot, then reached into his pocket. Bye bye, so sorry.

spinner26
05-12-05, 07:48 PM
I think it should be replayed in its entirety every half hour to drive home the point that if you’re a dumbazz, you'll be treated as such. Good job LBPD and CHIP.

Folks regardless of political belief, the ONLY way to stop crime is to enforce the consequences.

Ankf00
05-12-05, 08:15 PM
after a string of pedestrians being mowed over during high speed chases 5-8 years ago Houston PD banned ordinary chases unless there's a helicopter and all sorts of support up and down the highway...

coolhand
05-12-05, 08:19 PM
after a string of pedestrians being mowed over during high speed chases 5-8 years ago Houston PD banned ordinary chases unless there's a helicopter and all sorts of support up and down the highway...

what a load of crap, that encourages criminals to run

Dr. Corkski
05-12-05, 08:25 PM
what a load of crap, that encourages criminals to runLike chasing them around LA is really stopping anyone. :gomer:

coolhand
05-12-05, 08:29 PM
Like chasing them around LA is really stopping anyone. :gomer:

like not chasing them around LA is going to stop anyone.

Dr. Corkski
05-12-05, 08:45 PM
like not chasing them around LA is going to stop anyone.Yeah, it will.

For one you will stop the jackasses who do that just to get on camera.

Second, if you are a big enough dumbass to steal a car and then try to engage in a gunfight with the cops, watching a guy get capped for doing the exact same thing isn't gonna stop you from running.

dando
05-12-05, 09:23 PM
Sorry, the guy deserved what he got, but from a parent's perspective, this is a very slippery slope for local TV. :(

-Kevin

Ankf00
05-12-05, 09:35 PM
what a load of crap, that encourages criminals to run

:rolleyes: yes, a stolen car is such a big deal you need to endanger pedestrians...

coolhand
05-12-05, 09:50 PM
:rolleyes: yes, a stolen car is such a big deal you need to endanger pedestrians...

a stolen car is not such a big deal that we should let people run off with them :rolleyes:

let me steal your car and take off with it and see how you feel aobut it. I know i would be safe because you dont deem it nessary to go get it.

Michaelhatesfans
05-12-05, 10:09 PM
What, I was the only one who found the lead-in commercial with the BMW darting around corners to be ironic? :laugh:

Ankf00
05-12-05, 10:11 PM
a stolen car is not such a big deal that we should let people run off with them :rolleyes:

let me steal your car and take off with it and see how you feel aobut it. I know i would be safe because you dont deem it nessary to go get it.
cars can be replaced, lives can't, chasing someone 80+ mph down residential roads is criminally negligent, god blessed humans with the ability to reason, thankfully Houston PD does just that.

Dr. Corkski
05-12-05, 10:28 PM

let me steal your car and take off with it and see how you feel aobut it. I know i would be safe because you dont deem it nessary to go get it.The damage to the car caused by the chase itself probably ended up being as much if not more as if there was no chase.

coolhand
05-12-05, 10:41 PM
The damage to the car caused by the chase itself probably ended up being as much if not more as if there was no chase.

thats arguable but i can argue that it is beside the point. Letting it be known that if you run you will not be chased will just give people the impression that escaping the law pays off.

Methanolandbrats
05-12-05, 10:47 PM
People like reality TV........the next generation of COPS will probably feature police shootings and other filmed fatalities.......it's just a matter of time as the general population devolves.

nrc
05-12-05, 10:52 PM
cars can be replaced, lives can't, chasing someone 80+ mph down residential roads is criminally negligent, god blessed humans with the ability to reason, thankfully Houston PD does just that.This story makes all your bluster about how enlightened the cops are in Houston look pretty stupid, Ank.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metropolitan/3174303

The chase ended when Jones ran a stop sign and crashed his vehicle into the driver's side of Denis J. Verdecia's car in the 7200 block of Roos, police said. Verdecia, of the 8300 block of Ariel, died at the scene.
That was four days ago. The real policy in Houston seems to be that they'll pursue if they feel like it and they'll terminate the chase when they feel like it or when there's someone lying dead on the pavement, whichever comes first.

coolhand
05-12-05, 10:57 PM
good find NRC.

what are the cops supposed to do, chase after the guy to tell him to slow down because they will not chase them?

makes no sense.

you need these people to know there are consequnces to their actions and running from the cops and endangering the lives of every day citizens should have the highest penalty.

Dr. Corkski
05-12-05, 11:13 PM
So then why aren't these car chases actually doing their job, which is stopping all these jackasses from stealing cars and running, not causing maximum carnage?

nrc
05-12-05, 11:21 PM
So then why aren't these car chases actually doing their job, which is stopping all these jackasses from stealing cars and running, not causing maximum carnage?Why hasn't putting criminals in jail stopped all crime? That's a silly argument.

Are there any statistics on the frequency of car thefts or flights from the policy comparing communities with different policies?

Dr. Corkski
05-12-05, 11:29 PM
Why hasn't putting criminals in jail stopped all crime? That's a silly argument.But what better options are there?

If the cops can prevent carnage during chases, that's a different matter, but not when you have cops that drive like Roldolfo Lavin.

Ankf00
05-13-05, 01:33 AM
:rolleyes:

oh please, do not try to argue that there's not a huge difference between attempting to create a controlled situation vs. letting a random cop car or two rampage around the city at their own free, unsupervised, will....

read my first post. where did it say that HPD doesn't chase? where did it say they let all people go? there's a difference between attempting to apprehend a culprit and speeding around at 80+ mph in a populated area

regardless of the situation someone can get hurt, terminating a chase when there isn't enough supporting county/constable/aerial support in addition to high speeds of course decreases chances of bystanders being injured

that fact is not up for debate, it's a logical fact

helicopters, supporting officers, strategy, those are key, spike strips set up in advance and exits cut off and barricaded

that story gives no details to the actual specifics of the chase in the first place so you can't draw any inferences from that other than there is no sure way to protect the public, but that's life, **** happens. does the story mention anything about how the chase began? under what circumstances it continued? what county and aerial support was there? no. none.

coolhand
05-13-05, 01:37 AM
helicopters, supporting officers, strategy, those are key, spike strips set up in advance and exits cut off and barricaded

thats what they do, but you think when somthing bad happens it was because some dumb cop or city policy incouraged smokey and the bandit type chases.

they dont do that, police make sure they minimalize the danger to the public, but letting them go is not an option and it very well looked like you advocated that.

nothing to roll your eyes about.

Ankf00
05-13-05, 01:40 AM
good find NRC.

what are the cops supposed to do, chase after the guy to tell him to slow down because they will not chase them?

makes no sense.

you need these people to know there are consequnces to their actions and running from the cops and endangering the lives of every day citizens should have the highest penalty.

yes, because thieves don't already know that they'll be chased if a cop knows the car is hot, yes i'm sure carjackers think everything will be fine and dandy when they hotwire a ride.... yes, that's quite the harsh, yet unknown to them, message you're sending there, chase at all costs!!! yeeehaw!!! **** the rest of the populous they're supposed to be SERVING and PROTECTING.

Ankf00
05-13-05, 01:43 AM
thats what they do, but you think when somthing bad happens it was because some dumb cop or city policy incouraged smokey and the bandit type chases.

they dont do that, police make sure they minimalize the danger to the public, but letting them go is not an option and it very well looked like you advocated that.

nothing to roll your eyes about.

dude, whatever, they dont always do that, and in houston they didnt until a handful of years ago, and yes letting them go IS an option if things get too dangerous, it's called being rational

the deeper rings of hell are reserved for rapists and pedophiles not carjackers, and no i didnt advocate that, you didn't bother to read my first part where it says "chases without support" not "pursuit"

and when something bad happens you dont know what i think of it so dont bother putting words in my mouth, i'm not the one making blanket statements about how anyone running from police needs to be apprehended at all costs. sorry, a material possession is not worth a life.

coolhand
05-13-05, 01:52 AM
yes, because thieves don't already know that they'll be chased if a cop knows the car is hot, yes i'm sure carjackers think everything will be fine and dandy when they hotwire a ride.... yes, that's quite the harsh, yet unknown to them, message you're sending there, chase at all costs!!! yeeehaw!!! **** the rest of the populous they're supposed to be SERVING and PROTECTING.

if aprehending people who are trying to escape with cars is not Protecting and Serving i dont know what is

coolhand
05-13-05, 01:58 AM
a material possession is not worth a life.

you are assuming all car chases involve a case of material possession.

You are also inferring that all car chases will result in harming a life, if done properly it should not.

but either way if a cop sees a suspect its his job to get him, and most of the time sispects will run, now if they new the cop probably will not chase them due to the side of caution they will do it every time. there is no clear line in which you decide where to drop the chase or not, whether the cop decides to drop it or not the suspect WILL run and thats uncontrollable.

you think that not chasing them will mean they will suddenly go the speedlimit and calm down, but the WONT. they will never be sure if they are being chased from above on the ground and they will do what they feel is nessarcy to get away. thats the simple fact

Ankf00
05-13-05, 02:06 AM
You are also inferring that all car chases will result in harming a life, if done properly it should not. oh why not? because you're there to make certain of it? people die as collateral damage all the time because of it and it has nothign to do with doing things "properly" **** happens and there isn't a thing you can do about it. however being willing to draw the line when things go too far is responsible. do you want police to have shootouts in a crowded city square? oh my, but there's a murderer across the squre by the monument getting away, how dare they not fire at will!!! that is policy, and guess what, it drives people to take hostages, does this happen all the time? no. is this standard procedure for criminals? possessing hostages? no. hrm..... funny how that works...

but either way if a cop sees a suspect its his job to get him, and most of the time sispects will run, now if they new the cop probably will not chase them due to the side of caution they will do it every time. there is no clear line in which you decide where to drop the chase or not, whether the cop decides to drop it or not the suspect WILL run and thats uncontrollable. [/b] there's a differnce between a chase and a high speed chase, i dont know how many times i have to mention it. furthermore, we have a death penalty, it doesnt keep people from stabbing 8 year old girls in the eyes and beating the life out of them, hell, getting released from prison doesnt seem to stop people from doing that, yet it happened, so save the "lesson" lesson. these things more often than not serve as punishment than deterents, you can't keep a twisted **** from being him or herself. and no there is no "clear line" that's what JUDGEMENT is for, as mentioned, god has given us the ability to reason, and we use it every day. blanket statements are worthless braggadocio, because a chase here or there was suspended due to extreme circumstances will not lead every fleeing drug dealer and murderer to hit 100mph for hours on end until they run out of fuel, and your'e the one mentioning the desire to retreive all stolen cars vs. innocent lives being eliminated so that's where my point is derived from.

you think that not chasing them will mean they will suddenly go the speedlimit and calm down, but the WONT. they will never be sure if they are being chased from above on the ground and they will do what they feel is nessarcy to get away. thats the simple fact yes, they'll keep fleeing at 80+ mph down city streets when they hear no sirens or helos and see none either :rolleyes: most criminals don't try to bring undue attention upon themselves, something tells me going 80+ mph in a populated area tends to do that.... and again, please try to point to where i said all chases are evil and criminals should always be allowed to get away, i'd love to see that quote

coolhand
05-13-05, 02:38 AM
oh why not? because you're there to make certain of it? people die as collateral damage all the time because of it and it has nothign to do with doing things "properly" **** happens and there isn't a thing you can do about it. however being willing to draw the line when things go too far is responsible. do you want police to have shootouts in a crowded city square? oh my, but there's a murderer across the squre by the monument getting away, how dare they not fire at will!!! that is policy, and guess what, it drives people to take hostages, does this happen all the time? no. is this standard procedure for criminals? possessing hostages? no. hrm..... funny how that works...

I never said anything about shootouts. You are accusing me of painting a broad brush but you are doing a little but here too. I agree with what most of what you said here but you still seem to advocate letting these people get away but to be rational about when to do so. How will that cop feel if he let somone go who went on to do another crime, then he will feel bad and be ridculed. their needs to be a policy wheather or not to chase them or not, and not chasing them is unacceptable. Its just as easy to argue that not going after these criminals is just as dangerous to the public as chasing them.

there's a differnce between a chase and a high speed chase, i dont know how many times i have to mention it. furthermore, we have a death penalty, it doesnt keep people from stabbing 8 year old girls in the eyes and beating the life out of them, hell, getting released from prison doesnt seem to stop people from doing that, yet it happened, so save the "lesson" lesson. these things more often than not serve as punishment than deterents, you can't keep a twisted **** from being him or herself. and no there is no "clear line" that's what JUDGEMENT is for, as mentioned, god has given us the ability to reason, and we use it every day. blanket statements are worthless braggadocio, because a chase here or there was suspended due to extreme circumstances will not lead every fleeing drug dealer and murderer to hit 100mph for hours on end until they run out of fuel, and your'e the one mentioning the desire to retreive all stolen cars vs. innocent lives being eliminated so that's where my point is derived from.

I understand your justifcation with the material possession versus innocent lives. Personally i feel that is a little short sighted and sets a precedent for other cases. Also in most stolen car cases there is other criminal activity involved. Its hard for a cop in pursuit to pass judgement on how severe the case is or the exact details. This stolen car may have a murderer or other worse things in it. I can tell you one thing, letting these people go will solve nothing.

yes, they'll keep fleeing at 80+ mph down city streets when they hear no sirens or helos and see none either :rolleyes: most criminals don't try to bring undue attention upon themselves, something tells me going 80+ mph in a populated area tends to do that....
Still what are you going to think once a cop sees this suspect, just stare as he cruises by at an intersection thinking to himself "to many people out today its nto worth it". Do you think the criminal will think he can just sneak by? and get away with ti everytime. It sends the wrong message.

and again, please try to point to where i said all chases are evil and criminals are heros, i'd love to see that quote

thats putting words im my mouth. pot call kettle black?

indyfan31
05-13-05, 02:54 AM
Hopefully because of the result, it will be the last LA TV chase for some time.
That's exactly what everyone said the last time this happened, and the time before that when the guy blew his head off with a dozen news choppers catching it all live. So, no, I'm afraid it won't be the last covered chase in LA.
Local Channel 5 tried not covering them. A few weeks later anchorman Hal Fishman later explained that they had decided to start showing them again simply because they could not compete otherwise.

Dr. Corkski
05-13-05, 05:27 AM
That's exactly what everyone said the last time this happened, and the time before that when the guy blew his head off with a dozen news choppers catching it all live. So, no, I'm afraid it won't be the last covered chase in LA.
Local Channel 5 tried not covering them. A few weeks later anchorman Hal Fishman later explained that they had decided to start showing them again simply because they could not compete otherwise.It's pretty ironic that people are trying to use this as an example of a deterrent, when the video specifically said that this was the second time something like this took place within the last 3 days. So obviously this is stopping the criminals. :laugh:

JohnHKart
05-13-05, 07:21 AM
Apparently one of the stations showed the whole thing, but not NBC Ch4. I missed it. I was hoping Telemundo's Rojo Vivo (who normally show EVERYTHING) would show it but they only showed him lying on the ground after he was shot...and a pulled back shot. Among many horrors, on that show I've seen blown up victims lying in a soccer stand so why not this. Come on show it you pussies!!!!! Come to think of it, on Tuesday Rojo was showing godawful, horrible and disturbing video of sharks getting hacked up alive, so why the f*** can't they show this? Oh and I love how people that do not how to drive do some really dumb things.....like how this guy entered the off ramp on the bottom of the corner, with the inevitable shooting out into the guard rail on the outside. Bye loser.

John

nrc
05-13-05, 09:07 AM
:rolleyes:

oh please, do not try to argue that there's not a huge difference between attempting to create a controlled situation vs. letting a random cop car or two rampage around the city at their own free, unsupervised, will....Strawman. I'm not advocating unrestrained mayhem. I'm pointing out that based on that story there doesn't seem to be as much difference in the policies or practices in Houston has you seem to think.

RacinM3
05-13-05, 01:38 PM
LOL....found out this morning that this guy was from the city in which I live. Say what you want about car chases but the reality is that now I, my wife, or my small child will never, ever run across this scumbag where we live!

Job well done - and at very little taxpayer expense! :)

Gnam
05-13-05, 02:18 PM
The California Highway Patrol (CHP) will never terminate a chase the begins on their freeways. Their policy is to purse and capture. Even if the vehicle exits onto city streets where the locals technically have jursidiction, CHP units will follow. It is not unknown for the City cops to call off a pursuit only to have the CHP continue it.

Compare that to the cops in San Francisco who have strict guidelines on when to chase someone. In certain neighborhoods, kids used to pull up to SFPD cruisers in 5.0 Mustangs, rev the engine, then do a burnout through a redlight. The cops used to chase them, but the result was usually the same: busted up equipment, injuries and lawsuits. The cops figured they were probably going to arrest the guy later anyway for something else, so now they don't bother.

Why the difference? The city cops are responsible for more than just the streets that run through the city and they have to answer to the mayor who has to answer to public opinion. The CHP only answer to the state so they are some what immune from local complaints.

That being said, cops don't like to chase people. Its dangerous, and they get all hopped up on adrenaline and out of breath. Then there's the anger from the fact that someone didn't do what they told them to. Cops really hate that. ;)

peelo
05-13-05, 03:26 PM
Question: Do you think, with so many cars (especially the ones worth stealing) getting features like GPS and OnStar, this argument might soon be moot? As in, the police ought to be able to track the vehicle's movements until it stops and then go get it and its occupants?

RacinM3
05-13-05, 03:37 PM
Nope, a chase just the other day was televised where the chasee was driving a late model GM pickup with onstar, which I believe they used to locate the vehicle. They chased him, and it ended with him losing a tire, crashing down an embankment, rolling several times, ejecting the driver (whereupon the truck rolled onto him), but he survived unfortunately.

fourrunner
05-13-05, 03:53 PM
A couple years ago, in my Town, a Teenager stole two packs of cigarettes & a Bottle of Coke from a local 7-11 ... a cop was sitting behind the store ... The kid didn't see him but the alarm was pushed and the Cop gave chase down the Road... Speeds reached 80 miles an hour until the kid skidded out of control and hit a mini van head on killing a Mother and 2 of her 3 Children ... The Teenager Died also !!!

Betcha he won't steal Cigarettes and a Bottle of Coke again!!!!

Methanolandbrats
05-13-05, 04:18 PM
This could be solved if they put some sort of light anti-tank cannon in the front of squad cars. Run from the cops for more than a few hundred yards and ya get an armor piercing round up the ass. There might be some teething pains at first, but after a couple years I bet the casual criminal would'nt even think about taking off.

Gnam
05-13-05, 04:32 PM
This could be solved if they put some sort of light anti-tank cannon in the front of squad cars.
My guess is they will begin to install some device in your engine the cops can activate to stall your car out. But if someone who intends to run will be able to disable that device it seems pointless.

Ankf00
05-13-05, 07:33 PM
This could be solved if they put some sort of light anti-tank cannon in the front of squad cars. Run from the cops for more than a few hundred yards and ya get an armor piercing round up the ass. There might be some teething pains at first, but after a couple years I bet the casual criminal would'nt even think about taking off.

hrm... I'm getting ideas... I should pitch this to a director :cool:

Sean O'Gorman
05-13-05, 08:04 PM
hrm... I'm getting ideas... I should pitch this to a director :cool:

...and then it could like have, Adam Sandler and stuff...

http://www.awesomo.net/gallery/images/Xbone_Images/awesomo.gif