PDA

View Full Version : Get off the phone, yatch!

Dirty Sanchez
05-12-05, 10:59 AM
finally! (http://chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=16466) :thumbup:

RaceGrrl
05-12-05, 11:04 AM
Good news. :thumbup:

I'd like to see them enact the same law in Ohio. Almost every time I get stuck behind an idiot in the fast lane, that idiot is holding a cell phone up to their ear. Yes, I do sometimes talk on the phone while I drive, but at least I wear a headset.

racer2c
05-12-05, 11:06 AM
What's next, a ban on changing your radio station or adjusting your AC? How about a ban on eating while driving? I see loads of soccer moms scarfing down eggmcmuffins on their daily excursions.
The government should put a camera in every vehicle to make sure we are all complying.
Oh, and the ever popular morning rushhour pastime of ladies driving with their knees so they can use two hands to apply their makeup.

Dirty Sanchez
05-12-05, 11:13 AM
meh.

this is a common law across the globe. its such an obvious distraction. I'd love to see it passed at the national level.

RaceGrrl
05-12-05, 11:23 AM
meh.

this is a common law across the globe. its such an obvious distraction. I'd love to see it passed at the national level.

Agreed. All of the other things are distractions too, but they do not take place on the large scale that cell phone use does.

racer2c
05-12-05, 11:24 AM
I love how the government tells me I have to wear a seat belt. At least Florida doesn't force me to wear a helmet on my motorcycle. Granted those are two items are different from distraction laws, but from what I've read, proponents of the cell phone ban point to studies that claim cell phone distraction cause more vehicular deaths than drunk driving and yet, the penalties vary greatly between the two.

rosawendel
05-12-05, 11:36 AM
I'd like to see them enact the same law in Ohio.

they have that in brooklyn, ohio (just south of cleveland). it's a secondary violation, meaning, you have to be stopped for something else first...

Gnam
05-12-05, 11:48 AM
What's next, a ban on changing your radio station or adjusting your AC? How about a ban on eating while driving?...Oh, and the ever popular morning rushhour pastime of ladies driving with their knees so they can use two hands to apply their makeup.

Be patient, they're working on it ;)

Alderman Edward Burke said Wednesday he still will push for an additional "distracted driving" measure to forbid drivers from shaving, applying makeup or consuming food and beverages while on the road.

B3RACER1a
05-12-05, 12:00 PM
If we are gonna go as far as banning hand held cell phone use while driving, which I agree with, lets ban smoking while driving. Its also a major distraction, and 99% of the time, the unused part gets thrown out the window. Lets nail these people with littering then too. I cant stand how some people can just pretend that those things dont litter.

Napoleon
05-12-05, 12:05 PM
they have that in brooklyn, ohio (just south of cleveland). it's a secondary violation, meaning, you have to be stopped for something else first...

And actually they were the first in the nation with the law. Interestingly they were also first in the nation (way back when) with a law requiring the wearing of a seat belt.

rabbit
05-12-05, 10:51 PM
I propose a law banning all dumb@$$es from having a drivers license. Even when talking on the phone, I am more aware of my surroundings than most drivers on the road, or at least in Lima. The other day I was on the phone and a lady (who was not on the phone) turned out in front of me and then tried to change lanes right into the side of my car as I passed her. If I hadn't accelerated past her she would have nailed me.

racer2c
05-12-05, 10:54 PM
I propose a law banning all dumb@$$es from having a drivers license. Even when talking on the phone, I am more aware of my surroundings than most drivers on the road, or at least in Lima. The other day I was on the phone and a lady (who was not on the phone) turned out in front of me and then tried to change lanes right into the side of my car as I passed her. If I hadn't accelerated past her she would have nailed me.

Try driving in Florida. :shakehead

rabbit
05-12-05, 11:04 PM
Try driving in Florida. :shakeheadI heard once that Ohio is the No. 1 state in terms of people moving from there to Fla. Based on the stories I've heard about Fla. drivers :eek: it wouldn't surprise me.

Opposite Lock
05-12-05, 11:07 PM
If we are gonna go as far as banning hand held cell phone use while driving, which I agree with, lets ban smoking while driving. Its also a major distraction, and 99% of the time, the unused part gets thrown out the window. Lets nail these people with littering then too. I cant stand how some people can just pretend that those things dont litter.

light? (http://www.eveningtribune.com/articles/2005/05/12/news/news02.txt)

Flicked cigs cause city fires: Smoker carelessness an ongoing danger

By KYLE A. TOROK - STAFF WRITER

LYNN BRENNAN
Discarded cigarette butts are not only an eyesore in the Maple City, they have been starting fires. Hundreds of the butts can be seen scattered along Broadway.

HORNELL - Watch your butts, smokers: they're starting fires.

Smoking's dangers are physically apparent this dry season, with unextinguished cigarettes in the past month starting fires downtown, near the hospital and even in the Maple City Drive median. The flicked cigs have lit grass, mulch and even a railroad tie.

"Smoking's always been a danger, but now you've got to protect people from themselves," Fire Chief Vince Kelly said, noting the advent of self-extinguishing smokes. "Sometimes, though, those don't go out. Smokers have that added responsibility to make sure their cigarettes are extinguished."

Firefighters responded to a grass fire on Canisteo Street last month caused by office workers' errant butts. The post-coffee break brush fire started from a still-lit cigarette that came to rest in the dry grass by a railroad tie.

A smoldering fire Tuesday was caused by a cigarette in mulch outside the Armed Forces Recruiting Center on Broadway. The smokey mulch burned around a tree, but was easily extinguished after a recruiter was notified by a passing citizen. A Canisteo leaf pile ignited under a carelessly tossed smoke just this morning.

One of the Gateway Project flower beds in the Maple City Drive median behind the high school caught fire Sunday afternoon. A passing motorist shot his smoke out the window; it came to rest in the bed's mulch. Firefighters extinguished it with a water can.

"Driving down the road flicking cigarettes out the window, nobody seems to pay attention to it until it causes problems," Kelly said.

Department of Public Works Superintendent David Oakes said he has never encountered such problems before. The downtown area's sidewalks are littered with cigarette butts, as are its many planting beds.

Mayor Shawn Hogan mused there should perhaps be a law to help prevent such fires.

Kelly recalled a past mulch fire that burned up a house on East Elm Street.

"It started in a mulch pile next to the house, and burned it up on the outside," he said. "It was probably a discarded cigarette."

nrc
05-12-05, 11:08 PM
I heard once that Ohio is the No. 1 state in terms of people moving from there to Fla. Based on the stories I've heard about Fla. drivers :eek: it wouldn't surprise me.The problem in Florida is that you have a mixture of a lot of drivers from Ohio, New York and Canada along with a bunch of blue hairs and tourists. They just don't mix.

racer2c
05-12-05, 11:15 PM
The problem in Florida is that you have a mixture of a lot of drivers from Ohio, New York and Canada along with a bunch of blue hairs and tourists. They just don't mix.

Amen! It's down right scary down here. And just for the record, I wear a helmet when riding my motorcycle. Not a day gopes by that some 'incident' grabs my attention. Usually it's the blue hairs running stop signs. They love that.

oddlycalm, my biggest pet peeve is people flicking their cigerettes out in front of me on the highway. I've had dozens hit my windshield when commuting home down 95 (when I was doing that) and at night it's will freak you out.

Ankf00
05-13-05, 01:50 AM
oddlycalm, my biggest pet peeve is people flicking their cigerettes out in front of me on the highway. I've had dozens hit my windshield when commuting home down 95 (when I was doing that) and at night it's will freak you out.

that's my biggest beef with opposition to the smoking ban that was passed in Austin this week... if alot of them would be more considerate with the effects of their ****, everyone else wouldn't be so pissed off at them driving them out of the bars!

B3RACER1a
05-13-05, 12:03 PM
Why dont we just throw burning logs into thier cars? LOL! :rofl:

RacinM3
05-13-05, 05:57 PM
I propose a law banning all dumb@$$es from having a drivers license.

I'm with you. My version of a driver's test would be simple. Take a car into a corner, induce oversteer, put it in a nice 4-wheel drift. Recover without any tank slappers. Drive to the end of the course and get your license.

All who fail - a bus pass awaits you.

Somehow I don't think I'll get elected with that plank in my platform!

As far as the cellphones go, Bluetooth technology is cheap now. Get one.

Dr. Corkski
05-13-05, 06:14 PM
I propose a law banning all dumb@$$es from having a drivers license.That will never fly, it will cause the auto industry in the US to completely collapse. Forget about traffic jams, the streets of LA would probably never see a car if that happened. They probably give out licenses to blind illegal aliens here.