PDA

View Full Version : Engine Rules Delayed

nrc
05-12-05, 08:44 AM
The IRL is delaying the announcement on its 2007 engine formula until after the Indy 500. IRL president Brian Barnhart said he didn't want it to become a distraction to the manufacturers or the teams. . . . Right. More likely they don't want the press writing stories about how screwed they are all month.

Buried at the bottom. http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050512/SPORTS01/505120429/1052

Napoleon
05-12-05, 08:59 AM
Interesting.

I honestly can not think of a single good reason the IRL would do this. They always lard up May with as many good business announcements they can (like TV contract extentions and the like). If Toyota and Honda were on board with whatever the rules are they would release them now.

Skater_36
05-12-05, 09:04 AM
Right. More likely they don't want the press writing stories about how screwed they are all month.

Buried at the bottom. http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050512/SPORTS01/505120429/1052

Somethings up and it's probably not good news for the IRL, otherwise, why would it be a "distraction" to teams?

Newtpal
05-12-05, 09:10 AM
Whats that I see? Looks like a sinking ship! Who will be the first one off? :D

Don Quixote
05-12-05, 09:32 AM
For these guys, the good news is hard to find.

KLang
05-12-05, 09:56 AM
My prediction:
http://www.powerzoneinc.com/graphics/briggslogo.gif

:)

Methanolandbrats
05-12-05, 10:02 AM
My prediction:

Some kind of crappy stockblock program that will require the teams to buy the motors from FTG and his supplier (Menard?)

SteveH
05-12-05, 10:25 AM
Tough day to be an IRL fan.

Track opens, but Rice is hospitalized.
LBGP looks KK is buying it.
No engine spec announcement until 'later'

Andrew Longman
05-12-05, 10:30 AM
My prediction:

Some kind of crappy stockblock program that will require the teams to buy the motors from FTG and his supplier (Menard?)

Mine too.

It will be cheaper and the smaller teams will be able to come back, but the big guys will be gone. End of CART II version of the vision.

TG: "It was worth the try if pulling manufacturers and teams from CART actually killed CART off"

tllips
05-12-05, 10:51 AM
My prediction:

Just trying to copy ChampCar again. :shakehead

Al Czervik
05-12-05, 10:51 AM
Mine too.

It will be cheaper and the smaller teams will be able to come back, but the big guys will be gone. End of CART II version of the vision.

TG: "It was worth the try if pulling manufacturers and teams from CART actually killed CART off"

...smaller teams able to come back is a whole lot different than smaller teams willing to come back. I'm willing to bet the number of willing teams is a whole lot smaller than the number of able teams.

Not that this is a bad thing.

Methanolandbrats
05-12-05, 10:52 AM
Just trying to copy ChampCar again. :shakeheadYup.

Andrew Longman
05-12-05, 11:22 AM
...smaller teams able to come back is a whole lot different than smaller teams willing to come back. I'm willing to bet the number of willing teams is a whole lot smaller than the number of able teams.

Not that this is a bad thing.

Very true. And should TG go that route, both CCWS and IRL would be low cost options, but which one offers the better upside for teams and sponsors?

Let's see, Mexico City or Phoenix? Nashville or Toronto? Bejing or Kentucky? Long Beach or St Pete?

Tell me again, outside of Indy, what would sponsors see in the IRL? Seems the IRListas wishing to get their 1996-2002 IRL back. Rachel potato chip and "?" sponsors and all. Hope TG can afford it.

Brickman
05-12-05, 11:39 AM
Right. More likely they don't want the press writing stories about how screwed they are all month.

Good news announcements would have been during this week. Really bad news would be in August when everyone is on vacation, it will be interesting.

Don Quixote
05-12-05, 11:41 AM
Tough day to be an IRL fan.

Track opens, but Rice is hospitalized.
LBGP looks KK is buying it.
No engine spec announcement until 'later'

And don't forget, this is coming off a reported 0.05 TV rating for Motegi, impending lower ratings for the IRL500, dwindling ticket sales at the speedway, reports of a prominent team on the verge of leaving, and so on.

Napoleon
05-12-05, 11:46 AM
Really bad news would be in August . . .

Only when they can wait until August to announce it, an option they really do not have with the engine package.

spinner26
05-12-05, 11:50 AM
Quote:
The IRL is delaying the announcement on its 2007 engine formula until after the Indy 500. IRL president Brian Barnhart said he didn't want it to become a
distraction to the manufacturers or the teams. . . .

Yeh right, and this bulls hit line is not a distraction? What a bunch of gomers. If the future of open wheel racing in Merica is so good with the twirl wouldn't it seem that it would brighten the cloudy skies that hang over the speedway to make the every so secret package?

RichK
05-12-05, 11:50 AM
IF a stock block type engine is announced, it will be interesting to see if the IRL reverts back to 1996, with a bunch of new podunk teams and drivers.

racer2c
05-12-05, 12:02 PM
IF a stock block type engine is announced, it will be interesting to see if the IRL reverts back to 1996, with a bunch of new podunk teams and drivers.

probably will. Penske, Andretti and Ganassi will follow the yen to some other series...

Brickman
05-12-05, 12:27 PM

I think they really screwed up last time, once the yen was the driving force behind the sponsorship of the teams one just knew it would come back around. So they will either emulate NASCAR, find some formula that works and keep a manufacturer or two, or emulate Champ Car with a leased spec engine.

I would be shocked if they brought in someone new.

FTG
05-12-05, 12:42 PM
I think Tony will have a real hard time finding new teams, but will dig deep and write as many checks as necessary.

FRANKY
05-12-05, 01:20 PM
"In asking some more about it, there are a number of different scenareos that he said the new engine formula could take. One is a single builder, he acknowledged that has been under consideration. Another would be to have different engine builders.

TSO asked Barnhart if any engine manufacturer had signed on to a commitment to the new rules. He said the manufacturers have not had that chance yet, they do not know the exact new engine formula yet.

Barnhart said the announcement would be made at some point in June."

E-mail pass along.

skaven
05-12-05, 01:38 PM
And don't forget, this is coming off a reported 0.05 TV rating for Motegi, ...

How does that go? Bwahahahaha? Bwwaahahahaha?? Regardless... :rofl:

Edit: Actually, according to Miller in his annual quiz, "Was done for all those west coast viewers who helped the Japan race get an 0.2 on ESPN."

Racing Truth
05-12-05, 02:35 PM
"In asking some more about it, there are a number of different scenareos that he said the new engine formula could take. One is a single builder, he acknowledged that has been under consideration. Another would be to have different engine builders.

TSO asked Barnhart if any engine manufacturer had signed on to a commitment to the new rules. He said the manufacturers have not had that chance yet, they do not know the exact new engine formula yet.

Barnhart said the announcement would be made at some point in June."

E-mail pass along.

"One is a single builder." Hmmm.

KK: See, I have more than enough Cosworth's for you Tony.

TG: I don't know.

Makes too much sense, but what choice have they?

Napoleon
05-12-05, 03:14 PM
[QUOTE=Racing Truth]Makes too much sense. . .[QUOTE]

Which, of course, is why it will never happen.

Steve99
05-12-05, 06:47 PM
"One is a single builder." Hmmm.

KK: See, I have more than enough Cosworth's for you Tony.

TG: I don't know.

Makes too much sense, but what choice have they?

But due to the coefficient of friction, it can't happen.