PDA

View Full Version : Kalkhoven negotiating to buy LBGPA

nrc
05-12-05, 08:37 AM
It looks like Railbird's barroom rumor may have been correct.

"All I know is that Dover (Motorsports) is going to sell Long Beach," Kalkhoven told the Press-Telegram in a phone interview Wednesday. "(Dover) has hired bankers and we're in discussions."
http://www.presstelegram.com/Stories/0,1413,204~21474~2865130,00.html

Napoleon
05-12-05, 08:56 AM
YES!

:thumbup:

2DB
05-12-05, 09:18 AM
Railbird's, "KK is buying Long Beach", came from a high ranking IRL official. It was not overheard it was told directly to us. Railbird's creditability is and always was A1. That saloon has been an oasis for the Railbird family and myself for what seems like forever and it is sorely missing a patron.
Last night would have brought a smile to John's face, the place was packed,winning drivers, winning car owners, winning engineers, drivers looking for rides, great conversation, people of fame, did I mention babes. If any of you get the chance to stop by this month look at the shelf behind the bar at the top right there is a Miller High Life in his "beer condom" with a checkered flag coming out the top. Have a toast to a great guy, Sue would appreciate the rememberence.

Kelvis

KLang
05-12-05, 09:39 AM
:thumbup:

Put your hammer away FTG, you are simply being outsmarted.

SteveH
05-12-05, 10:23 AM
Hey Kelvis, how are you doing? Hang in there buddy!

Gotta think John is smiling with the news that KK is negotiating the purchase of LBGP. He had a wonderful time there this year. When we left we all agreed we had to come back next year. I hope we can drink a few High Lifes for him next year at the LBGP.

2DB
05-12-05, 10:33 AM
SteveH,

LBGP2006, I'll not miss that!

Kelvis

Napoleon
05-12-05, 10:38 AM
. . . did I mention babes. .

Kelvis, could you save me a seat?

mueber
05-12-05, 10:52 AM
I wonder how long this, Kalkhoven buying the makings of a series, can go on, but I have to say, “Now yer talkin’!”

Build the series. Forget the past. :thumbup:

Andrew Longman
05-12-05, 11:12 AM
This certainly sounds like great news. I won't rest easy until it is done though. What is to stop TG from throwing in a bid if it is for sale?

And the purist in me says if TG should only be a track owner, not run the series or a team, then by the same logic I'd be happier if KK stuck to running the series brilliantly and do it well enough that the field is full and promoters are waiting in line.

But I'm a very patient person. 10 years and counting

nrc
05-12-05, 11:37 AM
This certainly sounds like great news. I won't rest easy until it is done though. What is to stop TG from throwing in a bid if it is for sale?

Tony was interested in the past, but according to Unger's quote they're out of the market. I think they know they've been out-foxed on the sale side of the equation. KK has already greased the skids with the city and the city might have the option of terminating their agreement with the LBGPA if it's sold.

For the first time Champ car has managment that is thinking ahead and has the agility to actually act when opportunities become available.

Don Quixote
05-12-05, 11:52 AM
It seems that whenever the stakes are high, KK comes up with the correct business play. :thumbup:

DagoFast
05-12-05, 12:16 PM
The same spin came out of ims before the CART bankruptcy. Then late in the game, idiotgrandson jumped in to the bidding. NEVER believe the crap that comes out of their mouths. The entire legacy of Ftg is one of lies.

racer2c
05-12-05, 12:18 PM
FTG needs to save his bucks for engines.

Peter Venkman
05-12-05, 05:33 PM
It seems that whenever the stakes are high, KK comes up with the correct business play. :thumbup:

It could be the difference between making it, and inheriting it.

KobySon
05-12-05, 07:41 PM
It could be the difference between making it, and inheriting it.

:rofl: :thumbup:

NismoZ
05-12-05, 08:46 PM
Interesting that you should use those exact words. RACER said the same thing about FTG and The Captain just about 10 years ago. They put their money on Penske. Lotsa strange twists since then.

skaven
05-12-05, 09:00 PM
Many strange twists indeed.

Penske probably made a lot of money racing in the past 10 years, whereas FTG just pissed it away.

Also, Penske never really seemed to go to war the way KK has.

indyfan31
05-13-05, 02:04 AM
TG's been b-slapped twice now while trying to buy pieces of ChampCar, do you think he'll go for a third try?

Ferdman
05-13-05, 04:28 AM
Any time that TG gets b-slapped is a good time.

Spicoli
05-13-05, 06:25 AM
We're in.

JohnHKart
05-13-05, 07:27 AM
FTG......and Kevin Kahlkoven is God.

John

JT265
05-13-05, 09:06 AM
We're in.

In what???

In-credible?

In-describable?

In-decent?

In need of release?

What?!?!?!?!? :saywhat:

:rofl:

SurfaceUnits
05-13-05, 11:05 AM
Any time that TG gets b-slapped is a good time.
http://www.williamhung.net/flash/slap_simon_silly.cfm

RacinM3
05-13-05, 11:53 AM
I'm in for the bitch-slapping!

Put your hammer away FTG, you are simply being outsmarted.

If he'd just turn it on himself it'd save us all a lot of typing on internet forums.

Spicoli
05-13-05, 12:06 PM
In what???

In-credible?

In-describable?

In-decent?

In need of release?

What?!?!?!?!? :saywhat:

:rofl:

cANaDa: iN-bREd

Ferdman
05-13-05, 12:17 PM
http://www.williamhung.net/flash/slap_simon_silly.cfm

Oooh, we need to get one of those done with FTG's face on there.

Jag_Warrior
05-15-05, 04:37 PM
TG's been b-slapped twice now while trying to buy pieces of ChampCar, do you think he'll go for a third try?

Safe to say that Anton might know more about buying ounce sized containers of certain substances than Kalkhoven, but outside of that, he's wayyy out of his league when going against these kinds of people.

Without some intellectual or financial muscle from Toyota, I'd put my money on OWRS winning another round.

fourrunner
05-15-05, 08:30 PM
Another of Tony's problems is that he has to go through a committee to spend "Real" Money ( Rich Guys Definition of Real Money)... Committees tend to point out your shortcomings !

Kevin answers to himself and Forsythe ( but they seem to be on the same page )

oddlycalm
05-16-05, 12:21 PM
For the first time Champ car has managment that is thinking ahead and has the agility to actually act when opportunities become available. Exactly right. Being successful in business requires only that your decisions be right 51% of the time and that you capitalize on the opportunities that come your way. Amazing that so many fail considering.

It's easy for guys like KK with a proven track record to buy a profitable enterprise because he has long relationships with the people needed to put the financing in place quickly if need be. Cosworth was made even easier as Ford's price and terms were quite favorable. LPGP has several decades of profitability to show for it and Forsythe has a successful track record as a promoter.

It doesn't represent as good an opportunity, but I'd like to see them buy Road America as well. It would be a shame if the best natural terrain road course in the Western Hemishere became solely occupied with car club track days. Current management seem more focused on the plumbing fixtures than bring world class racing to it's customers.

oc